Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite part of GBBS is Sue Perkins.

Easily. Her chemistry with the other lady, whatever her name is, is off the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just finished watching Minimalism: A Documentary on Netflix and was pretty disappointed. I'm a receptive audience and it came across as pretty condescending and preachy. It didn't really provide any meaningful commentary, insight, or information beyond stuff=bad, less stuff=happiness. Also, the one travelling minimalist looks too much like Elon Musk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching Room on prime and and drat. What a good movie.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cithen posted:

I just finished watching Minimalism: A Documentary on Netflix and was pretty disappointed. I'm a receptive audience and it came across as pretty condescending and preachy. It didn't really provide any meaningful commentary, insight, or information beyond stuff=bad, less stuff=happiness. Also, the one travelling minimalist looks too much like Elon Musk.

I don't remember anyone in it except those two travelling guys but the Elon one seemed so ungenuine to me. Like a sleazy salesman kind of feeling.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Patriot holding up real well on second viewing..

it's like arrested development cloaked as a spy thriller with the art direction of a wes anderson movie. idk. good show

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 4, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a891D5_bGY4

This is a hoot. Good visual comedy and twisty turns in the vein of The Nice Guys.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Patriot holding up real well on second viewing..

it's like arrested development cloaked as a spy thriller with the art direction of a wes anderson movie. idk. good show

Dat cliffhanger finale though, poo poo better loving get renewed. It's crazy that more bigtime reviewers aren't all over this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I honestly didn't like the tone of patriot, a little too heavy on the comedy, not enough on the drama, but it still felt so fresh and exciting that I loved it anyways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hate comedies and Wes Anderson films so I think I'll be avoiding the Patriot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hate comedies and Wes Anderson films so I think I'll be avoiding the Patriot.

Comparisons to Wes Anderson are coming from a place of lazy shorthand for anything that's quirky. Patriot is a show about a CIA operative who is also a folk singer that writes extremely literal songs. Aside from that premise I would not legitimately compare it to Wes Anderson aside from a few needle drops and some of the cinematography.

It's also not really what I'd call a comedy except in the very blackest sense. The essential plot is extremely serious and at no point will you feel whimsy.

Not saying it's your thing or not but I would really give it a shot, it is absolutely the best show I have seen in years.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't remember anyone in it except those two travelling guys but the Elon one seemed so ungenuine to me. Like a sleazy salesman kind of feeling.

Yeah. I kinda got that from both of them. It was almost comical that they gave them so much screentime and their pitch was the exact same at each of the speaking gigs over the course of the entire year.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Patriot is certainly living up to the hype for me. Thirty minutes into the first episode I knew it'd be one of the best shows I've watched, and it hasn't let up over the next few episodes. What a unique show!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FX's Legion is now available Sundays on Hulu. It's pretty amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Comparisons to Wes Anderson are coming from a place of lazy shorthand for anything that's quirky. Patriot is a show about a CIA operative who is also a folk singer that writes extremely literal songs. Aside from that premise I would not legitimately compare it to Wes Anderson aside from a few needle drops and some of the cinematography.

It's also not really what I'd call a comedy except in the very blackest sense. The essential plot is extremely serious and at no point will you feel whimsy.

Not saying it's your thing or not but I would really give it a shot, it is absolutely the best show I have seen in years.

That premise is enough to keep me far from it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tell us more about stuff you don't like!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
basically it sounds like a Jill Stein power fantasy and now I will never want to see it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

coyo7e posted:

basically it sounds like a Jill Stein power fantasy and now I will never want to see it

You might actually want to watch it because "power fantasy" is the polar goddamn opposite of how it plays out. It is an extremely dark comedy, not an action show; a little less Bourne, a little more Burn After Reading.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

coyo7e posted:

Hahahaha your loss. But yeah power fantasy and Jill Stein are some of the last things I'd use to describe the show.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, the Great British Baking Show really is good.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

McSpanky posted:

I've only watched the first episode so far but it's one of my favorite pilots I've ever seen.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not sure when it got added but I found Clouds of Sils Maria deep on Netflix. Stewart and Binoche are really good and it's got some fun scenes. Chloë Grace Moretz is kind of terrible but that might be intentional I guess

morestuff fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 5, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nah, Moretz is dope, and Clouds of Sils Maria is pre' boss.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I always find her kind of stiff, which I thought was especially distracting given how Stewart's character considers her. Which again could be the point

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

McSpanky posted:

It really is. I've never seen anything else like it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

A MIRACLE posted:

Tell us more about stuff you don't like!

Sure! Because people here like talking about stuff they don't like all the time. Sitcoms and reality shows are the big ones I can't stand.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cithen posted:

This one really rubbed me the wrong way. I can get behind the concept of living simply/ Hell, I sort of follow it myself. The documentary seemed to be about rich people with no debts. I loved the one family that lived in I think Las Vegas that still lived in their Mc Mansion, but just had less clutter.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alterian posted:

This one really rubbed me the wrong way. I can get behind the concept of living simply/ Hell, I sort of follow it myself. The documentary seemed to be about rich people with no debts. I loved the one family that lived in I think Las Vegas that still lived in their Mc Mansion, but just had less clutter.

Having less is meaningless if you retain the means to obtain anything you want or need at any time. That's not asceticism, or even austerity, it's just interior decorating.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DeimosRising posted:

Having less is meaningless if you retain the means to obtain anything you want or need at any time. That's not asceticism, or even austerity, it's just interior decorating.

Well said.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I watched the first two episodes of Patriot and that show is really loving good. It's darkly funny, the cinematography is fantastic and it's just a completely unique thing.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Patriot and that show is really loving good. It's darkly funny, the cinematography is fantastic and it's just a completely unique thing.

Started it last night and fell asleep during episode 2. Definitely going to watch a couple episodes tonight though. I'm not entirely sure what I'm watching but I think I like it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What We Do in the Shadows is up on Prime now. Watched it for the third time last night and it was just as hilarious as the first time.

Werewolves, not swear-wolves!

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Frailty is up on netflix. One of my favorite movies from the 2000s. Its a really engrossing, thoughtful horror thriller. Also notable as one of Bill Paxton's best performances.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 5, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a891D5_bGY4

This is a hoot. Good visual comedy and twisty turns in the vein of The Nice Guys.
I had to take a break so I haven't finished it yet, but the "hacking" scene was hilarious.

"Open sesame..." :smug:

*cuts to his screen, on Google, as he types "how to look up license plate?"*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

I had to take a break so I haven't finished it yet, but the "hacking" scene was hilarious.

"Open sesame..." :smug:

*cuts to his screen, on Google, as he types "how to look up license plate?"*

Unfortunately the third act completely falls apart, it's a shame.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rectify Season 4 popped up on the 'flix

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a documentary up about the guy who starred in Spartacus Blood & Sand and his cancer diagnosis. It looks like a gas.

The new Mike Birbiglia thing is great though, nice to hear some new content from him - if you ever listened to This American Life you've basically heard most of his stuff that he's put out and rebranded over the last 20 years. He pivots a lot more gracefully then he used to in his old stuff, and the way he stomped on the latecomers to the show and random audience members was great, he absolutely pilloried poor headlock guy.

Also I watched Killzone. I think the black sniper guy carried most of the movie, but it's a decent vehicle to see army people get killed by scary bad things.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 6, 2017

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

DeimosRising posted:

I gotta disagree with this vehemently, unless you mean specifically that the one couple in the McMansion still retained the means (space) to get anything. The difference between an affluent person in a tiny house and an affluent person building a McMansion with six car garage is huge when it comes to land use. My area has been plauged by the latter. A NYC doctor buying a 5,000 sqft "weekend home" with three acres of lawn that used to be prime farmland is it's own kind of disgusting.

Is The Queen of Versailles still on Netflix? That's a great documentary about rich people drowning in their own junk.

That said, the "minimalists" who are super wealthy but talk about how everyone should stop working and live in a tiny house like it's no thing are insufferable.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeimosRising posted:

This is only true if you were already working from the assumption that after you downsize, you'll need a whole bunch more stuff eventually so why bother sigh

I can't stand the entitled hipster white people tiny house thing, but you're just trolling if this is the first/best criticism you could come up with. I mean, hit them for being assholes, or for being bad engineers, or for their conspicuous consumption in all other facets of life (I mean, tell me straight - is a fixie bicycle the most-sustainable choice if you choose to bike commute as a serious person?) while living in a mobile motel, but

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 6, 2017

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

fishtobaskets posted:

Frailty is up on netflix. One of my favorite movies from the 2000s. Its a really engrossing, thoughtful horror thriller. Also notable as one of Bill Paxton's best performances.
Frailty is terrific, for some reason I thought Sam Raimi produced but I was wrong. Paxton directed it too.

Speaking of Raimi, A Simple Plan is also prime Paxton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Accidental Courtesy is up on Netflix and it is terrific. :)