Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
every party should begin screaming "gross electoral fraud" as loud as they can, and push for a wider enquiry while contacting wet tories to defect to LD/UKIP.

Having said that I'd quite like to see IndyRef2 planned and dated first, fraud/NHS/scotland is an excellent anyone but the tories platform.

e; Nicolae Titulescu born today, 1882. Twice President of league of nations, not a total dick. Kicked the fascists out of the League for taking the piss out of Yah Selassie when they invaded Ethiopia.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Most of them would probably like that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

As a rule of thumb most parties don't like to shout too loudly about fraud and corruption, for it has a nasty habit of coming back to haunt them.

You're more likely to see grassroots groups and activists make noise about this.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

OwlFancier posted:

Such as possession?
I think he acknowledged the paradox there.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

As a rule of thumb most parties don't like to shout too loudly about fraud and corruption, for it has a nasty habit of coming back to haunt them.

You're more likely to see grassroots groups and activists make noise about this.

This is literally why I wanted Jeremy Corbyn, this and telling journalists they're poo poo. If he's bent, I make a Mandelson Promise to eat my hat. If the dirty part of Labour get burnt by the fire, maybe they shouldn't carry around so much drat kindling.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So with the DUP reduced to 28 seats and that Traditional Voice guy with one, they still fall a seat short of launching a petition of concern.

Does this bode well for gay marriage/abortion rights in Northern Ireland, or are there other parties that would be happy to join a blocking motion?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A lot of the other parties represent a traditionally Catholic base, so it's unlikely to ever bode well for abortion rights in Northern Ireland. The Pope needs unwanted babies for his pedo laundries.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

As far as gay marriage goes, potentially. There is majority polled support for it and I'd say at least Alliance and Greens would be in favour.. SDLP have an individual conscience policy on it and I don't know enough about the UUPs stance either way.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Would UUP ever conceivably team up with DUP/TUV to lodge a petition of concern vs gay marriage?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

jabby posted:

So with the DUP reduced to 28 seats and that Traditional Voice guy with one, they still fall a seat short of launching a petition of concern.

Does this bode well for gay marriage/abortion rights in Northern Ireland, or are there other parties that would be happy to join a blocking motion?

There is one independent unionist (Claire Sugden) but she is 30 years old and in favour of gay marriage. She has not been shy about calling out the DUP on their deceit and sleaze. The TUV exists to be a thorn in the side of the DUP much like UKIP is to the tories in England so I wouldn't bet on Jim Allister making life easy for them

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Would UUP ever conceivably team up with DUP/TUV to lodge a petition of concern vs gay marriage?

Depends who the leader of the UUP is but a conservative MLA throwing their signature on a petition isnt unlikely at all, if a Liberal gets the leadership and tries to strengthen the whip on the issue (at the minute its a free vote for the party) I could see it

Abortion is a bit trickier. You have the DUP and SDLP, the TUV and maybe half of the UUP that would prevent it getting a simple majority

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Gerry adams looks like rolf harris.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully when direct rule happens HMG just tells everyone to gently caress off and gives NI the same abortion/gay rights laws as England.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Hopefully when direct rule happens HMG just tells everyone to gently caress off and gives NI the same abortion/gay rights laws as England.

The Tories don't want direct rule so they are not going to reward anyone. Rates freezes will go out the window, domestic water charges (originally proposed under the last period of direct rule) might be coming back...

They'll want to force an agreement as soon as possible by reminding Stormont that they give zero fucks

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

jBrereton posted:

I don't think that'd be a good idea. There was widespread rioting for several weeks here in 2012 because the days on which the flag is flown at Belfast City Hall was brought into line with the rest of the UK. There were protests and counter protests over a gay wedding cake on a regular basis for several years. :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

I don't think that'd be a good idea. There was widespread rioting for several weeks here in 2012 because the days on which the flag is flown at Belfast City Hall was brought into line with the rest of the UK. There were protests and counter protests over a gay wedding cake on a regular basis for several years. :v:
Riot all you like. Rapists having more rights than women is unacceptable, and gay marriage is well and truly settled in the civilised world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

Wasn't it you who was saying that's exactly how you get Brexit and Trump?

Abortion rights in England aren't all that great anyway, there's no abortion on demand like most of Europe, so there's plenty of room for NI doctors to deliberately wreck the whole thing if they were given a boilerplate of the English laws.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

jBrereton posted:

Riot all you like. Rapists having more rights than women is unacceptable, and gay marriage is well and truly settled in the civilised world.

I share those opinions but I think you are quite rude and being a bit silly.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I'll be honest about a casual racism I have, i'm really annoyed by the Northern Irish accent. All I hear in my head whenever NI people talk is:

'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair'

Had to look up what that actually was and its this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_affair

And its gently caress all to do with NI, I think it just might have been some presenter on BBC news when I was having zits and no girls would kiss me or something :s

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I say if gay ppl want to be as miserable as the rest of us they should go right ahead

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't it you who was saying that's exactly how you get Brexit and Trump?
We've already got Brexit, and Trump is only as regressive as the DUP, who will almost certainly force Direct Rule on the province by nominating Arlene Foster to lead them.

Direct rule has already been used for complete garbage like the bedroom tax, might as well do some good with the power.

quote:

Abortion rights in England aren't all that great anyway, there's no abortion on demand like most of Europe, so there's plenty of room for NI doctors to deliberately wreck the whole thing if they were given a boilerplate of the English laws.
There's a difference between some doctors not agreeing to it and women getting sentenced because they're not rich enough to go private in England or Scotland.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

English abortion law isn't great, but it would still be a vast improvement. Even if your average GP in Ireland was anti-abortion, they would be obliged by law to refer patients to someone else. And doctors working in abortion clinics aren't likely to have the same objections.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Direct rule has already been used for complete garbage like the bedroom tax, might as well do some good with the power.

Tories aren't capable of this by definition. Being a tory requires an understanding of the world and ethics that is contrary to both science and most forms of civilised morality.

Let's not forget Labour carried gay marriage in Britain, the tories rebelled on it. Cameron knew full well that Labour weren't going to gently caress people over to score points like he would happily do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

We've already got Brexit, and Trump is only as regressive as the DUP, who will almost certainly force Direct Rule on the province by nominating Arlene Foster to lead them.

You don't think there's a chance of a populist backlash if something that the majority disagree with is forced on them from outside?

I guess the only good thing is that the backlash would likely not be in a Unionist direction if it's Westminster that's seen as doing the loving.

jabby posted:

English abortion law isn't great, but it would still be a vast improvement. Even if your average GP in Ireland was anti-abortion, they would be obliged by law to refer patients to someone else. And doctors working in abortion clinics aren't likely to have the same objections.
For sure, but if you're going to force an unpopular but necessary thing onto someone, you might as well go all the way instead of including all the mistakes of the English system.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

I say if gay ppl want to be as miserable as the rest of us they should go right ahead

I say if people want to make poo poo old jokes like the rest of us they should go right ahead.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

You don't think there's a chance of a populist backlash if something that the majority disagree with is forced on them from outside?

It's got popular approval, hasn't it? dumping it to a referendum could work.

Also what you said about any backlash being directed at the and tories, that's hardly a bad thing. Blaming Gerry Adams for gay marriage is possibly a step too far for anyone but TUF

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'm doubtful the Tories will make moves on same sex marriage as it was a major campaigning demand of SF and moving to instate it after a collapse of devolution over the heads of the DUP would be spun as a victory by SF.

The Tories don't want to make direct rule attractive in any way, there is a non-insignificant chunk of opinion in NI that thinks direct rule can be no worse than Stormont and will allow outstanding issues to be directly negotiated with Westminster who would prefer to keep their distance - they'll want to smash that idea and remind people that it is not really an option you should consider

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

Let's not forget Labour carried gay marriage in Britain, the tories rebelled on it. Cameron knew full well that Labour weren't going to gently caress people over to score points like he would happily do.

It would've been a tight majority, but if I remember correctly if every Labour MP who voted for same-sex marriage abstained, the bill would've passed at each stage. Definitely in the Commons.

Still, I think we could have got it five years earlier if Ben Summerskill wasn't using his position as former Stonewall CEO to project his personal hatred of marrying on everyone else.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

The Tories don't want to make direct rule attractive in any way, there is a non-insignificant chunk of opinion in NI that thinks direct rule can be no worse than Stormont and will allow outstanding issues to be directly negotiated with Westminster who would prefer to keep their distance - they'll want to smash that idea and remind people that it is not really an option you should consider

I'm not sure how Theresa May is stupid enough to think that provoking Sinn Fein, the DUP, the UUP and the SNP at the same time will work out for her, but tories gonna tory.

TinTower posted:

It would've been a tight majority, but if I remember correctly if every Labour MP who voted for same-sex marriage abstained, the bill would've passed at each stage. Definitely in the Commons.

Still, I think we could have got it five years earlier if Ben Summerskill wasn't using his position as former Stonewall CEO to project his personal hatred of marrying on everyone else.

I stand corrected. Does it pass if the Lib Dems abstain too?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

There certainly is a chance of that.

quote:

I guess the only good thing is that the backlash would likely not be in a Unionist direction if it's Westminster that's seen as doing the loving.
Never forget that it was the UVF who said that they would make the province ungovernable (and did), not the IRA.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

I stand corrected. Does it pass if the Lib Dems abstain too?

Only if one of the two parties abstained. Both were needed to pass it despite Cameron's charm offensive to his backbenchers.

Although I doubt that the Lib Dems would've abstained on it because they were responsible for getting it on the Cabinet table in the first place.

I'm personally not fussed about any party taking their due share of credit. It just annoys me when the Tories claim sole credit when the majority of their MPs who voted on the issue voted against.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

namesake posted:

If they were uncertain enough to need to commit electoral fraud to get a win and have to campaign as the people who cheated last time then I can see them taking a big hit.

at the general the Tories were scared of losing to UKIP. post referendum and May setting them on a path to hard Brexit, that threat is dying. the uncertainty that led to them going all out and breaching spending limits isn't there.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I'm not sure how Theresa May is stupid enough to think that provoking Sinn Fein, the DUP, the UUP and the SNP at the same time will work out for her, but tories gonna tory.

From a Whitehall perspective direct rule is not and should not be an option for parties to fallback on to preserve their negotiation stances, they would much prefer regional negotiations yielded successful agreement without them having to step in - Villiers has already been in the press today calling for emergency legislation to extend the government formation period in order to forestall what seems to be the inevitable.

Ironically reminding the parties here that direct rule is a pile of shite is meant to remind them the value of Stormont - either you sort it out or you get the Tory's and all the spending cuts that entails

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'll be honest about a casual racism I have, i'm really annoyed by the Northern Irish accent. All I hear in my head whenever NI people talk is:

'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair' 'In the Westland affair'

Had to look up what that actually was and its this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_affair

And its gently caress all to do with NI, I think it just might have been some presenter on BBC news when I was having zits and no girls would kiss me or something :s

That would be John "Hondootedly" Cole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeFO_kTcNcI

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Today tens of thousands of people marched in London against austerity and were addressed by the shadow Chancellor and leader of the opposition. Online at least, it didn't qualify as news.

Meanwhile Ben Bradshaw said Copeland was all Corbyns fault and this is the top story on the Independent. gently caress the media in this country.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i'm seeing both those stories on the front page on the indy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Beeb only has the protest story on its front page, with some flattering nods to Corbyn.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

From a Whitehall perspective direct rule is not and should not be an option for parties to fallback on to preserve their negotiation stances, they would much prefer regional negotiations yielded successful agreement without them having to step in - Villiers has already been in the press today calling for emergency legislation to extend the government formation period in order to forestall what seems to be the inevitable.

Ironically reminding the parties here that direct rule is a pile of shite is meant to remind them the value of Stormont - either you sort it out or you get the Tory's and all the spending cuts that entails

I do actually agree with this; this doesn't mean I think loving people to make a point is anything but reprehensible.

It's also politically stupid. Not even nasty, just stupid. May is giving incredible ammunition to everyone who seriously threatens her precious union while showing absolutely no political ability of any sort.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Thats the fella.

e: voice still annoying, seems like a great bloke though :)

e2: thats a bloody good watch that tube

e3: 'The unblinking certainty of the ideologues took over from persuasion' John Cole RIP 2013 <--- new thread title

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's a Saturday, which is literally the worst day in the week for anything getting news coverage in the UK. I'm not saying that there isn't some bias in the media towards the labour party, but it is the very worst day to get coverage of anything by any media source and always has been even now in the 24 hour news cycle. One of the things that has driven me insane over the course of Corbyn's time as leader is the amount of announcements, protests and events that they have that take place on a Saturday. While it's true that having such events on a Saturday makes it easier for working people to attend them, they just don't get the coverage. It's not like this is is unknown either, its pretty much the most basic piece of press relations.

Events on a Saturday play out to the politically engaged audience who read the Sunday papers and watch the Sunday morning politics shows. If you want to reach a wider audience then you have to do something on any other day.

• Locked thread