Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
haha, that's indeed the real dub. Once i was tricked into listening to the first ep, I figured I may as well check out Ep 2 so I could hear kanna say cuck

The voicework is good, but Kobayashi using that line on a kid she just met is quite a character change and aligns with what I see with a lot of Funi dubwork—dry-humor, PG-13 dialogue that you expect from popular western TV shows nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am deeply, deeply saddened by this new knowledge. :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
... no.

... ... no.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

... no.

... ... no.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That should also be an emote.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

dragon maid abridged seems to be coming along nicely

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Space Flower posted:

haha, that's indeed the real dub. Once i was tricked into listening to the first ep, I figured I may as well check out Ep 2 so I could hear kanna say cuck

The voicework is good, but Kobayashi using that line on a kid she just met is quite a character change and aligns with what I see with a lot of Funi dubwork—dry-humor, PG-13 dialogue that you expect from popular western TV shows nowadays.

Nah, the voice acting is pretty bad. Kanna sounds like a completely different character in English.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
And she sounds like she's a lot older than a child dragon.
It's just bad.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Not that I have an ear for what I don't watch, mind you, but I just thought I'd put in more than 'zOMG DUBS!!! NO!!!!!'

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Kobayashi sounds fine. Kanna doesn't. I'm sure studios could get child voice actors for anime like they do with cartoons such as bravest warriors.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Space Flower posted:

Not that I have an ear for what I don't watch, mind you, but I just thought I'd put in more than 'zOMG DUBS!!! NO!!!!!'

Meat Beat Agent posted:

"This adorable child's voice isn't obnoxious enough. We can do better"

The Colonel posted:

that line doesn't even remotely fit in the scene what why

Comrade Kirov posted:

It's the quality of joke lines we've writen...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Slutshaming?

Mill Village posted:

Nah, the voice acting is pretty bad. Kanna sounds like a completely different character in English.

And she sounds like she's a lot older than a child dragon.
It's just bad.

I don't know what more you want from us.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dub-Kobayashi cares about slut shaming? What's she gonna say when she sees Lucoa for the first time, "I respect you clothing choices"?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

I don't know what more you want from us.

Not like that, I meant I was trying to toss it a compliment before I called it dumb, but I didn't have much reasoning behind the voices since dubs sound off to me almost all the time and this just seemed alright in relativity.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Funi's simuldub effort in general seems to be a real mess from what I've seen. I checked out the Izetta dub because I thought the western setting could lend itself to good english VA, but dropped it like a rock when it became clear that the two female leads in the lesbian war romance are both RWBY Season 1-level terrible. Which was a real shame, because I thought Fine's VA in particular was one of the original show's few real highlights. Haven't heard many nice things about any of the other simuldubs either.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Guy Goodbody posted:

dub-Kobayashi cares about slut shaming? What's she gonna say when she sees Lucoa for the first time, "I respect you clothing choices"?
It's just more diplomatic phrasing: "Doesn't leave a lot to the imagination, does it?"

The real crime is what they did to Fafnir:
https://my.mixtape.moe/augyar.webm

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Helter Skelter posted:

It's just more diplomatic phrasing: "Doesn't leave a lot to the imagination, does it?"

:stare:

They drained the life out of him. Instead of being angry, he just seems ... lifeless.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Space Flower posted:

As someone who grew up watching anime dubbed, I can appreciate a good dub. I only watch anime subbed if its the only option or the dub is bad.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mill Village posted:

As someone who grew up watching anime dubbed, I can appreciate a good dub. I only watch anime subbed if its the only option or the dub is bad.

This dub is bad, OP :(

I do love good dubs too, sometimes they freaking nail it with the dub. I think recently they did a great job with MHA, and a good job with OPM.

Other than those, I'm not sure I could name a recent good dub.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I grew up watching anime dubbed that's why I only watch it subbed now unless I have a gun to my head, and then it'd be a tough choice.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

"kill me...I'm already dead inside" is a drastic rewriting of that line too, like wow

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good dubs are nice sometimes, but they're also extremely thin on the ground. The only ones I can name off the top of my head are the Evangelion Rebuilds and Haruhi dubs, and even in those cases it's kind of undercut by the original VA's being INCREDIBLY good.

Edit: Also holy poo poo that Fafnir dub is an abomination. Even aside from the stiff delivery, the lines are just bad. He's supposed to be aloof and above-it-all, not actively hostile to the rest of the cast and their antics.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 4, 2017

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

"kill me...I'm already dead inside" is a drastic rewriting of that line too, like wow

And it doesn't really garner Kobayashi's and Takiya's response, either. They should be rolling their eyes at the emo kid, not scared that he wants to end humanity because he has to change appearance for a dinner party.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

z0glin Warchief posted:

The dialogue as a whole in the dub feels like they're trying to make everyone sound 10 years younger and from 1997.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good dubs are nice sometimes, but they're also extremely thin on the ground. The only ones I can name off the top of my head are the Evangelion Rebuilds and Haruhi dubs, and even in those cases it's kind of undercut by the original VA's being INCREDIBLY good.

ouran high school, cowboy bebop, redline and space dandy are the four really good dubs i can name off the top of my head, and space dandy is kind of a special case

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Don't forget Cromartie High School.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Which is kind of a shame, as I'd bet it would be easier to grow the market, at least in the US, if most shows had dubs on par with the quality of the original. I doubt we ever see the budget for that on a wide scale though. Same with translation quality. :sigh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Colonel posted:

ouran high school, cowboy bebop, redline and space dandy are the four really good dubs i can name off the top of my head, and space dandy is kind of a special case
Shin-chan

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

ghost stories

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Helter Skelter posted:

The dialogue as a whole in the dub feels like they're trying to make everyone sound 10 years younger and from 1997.

Except kanna, whom they made 10 years older. Like, they just leveled everything out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think I've ever heard a good little girl dub voice. It always sounds like a grown woman pitching her voice up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

rip kanna

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Other cases where the dub is the correct choice: Big O, Panty and Stocking, ROD, Gundam Wing

This is not one of those cases. They're probably even going to make a gamergate joke.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baccano!

And by the same token, though I only saw some of it, Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dragon Ball's such a long running institution that I often forget to classify it alongside mortal, 1-cour anime, but that's another good one. Especially since Kai.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont like this dub imo

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

the best solution is to just learn japanese and watch it raw, imo

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

lol why is Kanna an angry tween and why is she yelling cuck

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beasteh posted:

lol why is Kanna an angry tween and why is she yelling cuck

To be fair, the "cuckold" was there originally. "Netorare!" All in the delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

PSG is the perfect example of a great dub that takes a lot of liberties in localization while keeping the core of the characters the same. This is not that. I think the voices are more-or-less good and no one sounds stilted in these clips, but the re-writing doesn't show any concern for keeping the characters intact. Good dubs are very hard and I don't think rushing them out the door will ever be worthwhile.

Kanna did indeed accuse Kobayashi of NTR'ing Tohru away, but isn't a cuckold the cuck-ee rather than the cuck-er?

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 4, 2017

• Locked thread