Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yeah I've seen about two outside AI matches.

So what are some good choices in the defensive meta? Obviously Warden, Warlord, and PK are good. I see a lot of Shugoki and surprisingly Kensei too.

Orochi's still a pretty popular pick. His top light confirms into huge damage and forms a solid mix up together with his area attack. A guardbreak offers him even better damage through a heavy overhead. Good options on parries and deflects as well as powerful and quick dodge-attacks for punishes round out the whole thing and give you some more options. He's not quite as ridiculous as PK, but he's up there with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Zzulu posted:

Well they're nerfing conqueror so supposedly he is very good

I thought they had their sights on Warlord.

Only nerf Conquerer needs is their air hump emote. :salt:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Reclaimer posted:

I thought they had their sights on Warlord.

Both of em yeah, shieldmans taking a hit in general outside of Valk who gets a stay of execution out of mercy.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Well they're nerfing conqueror so supposedly he is very good

If they nerf his defense they need to buff his harassment. Right now there is no reason to throw out an attack as conquer when your enemy is aggressive.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Keegers posted:

If they nerf his defense they need to buff his harassment. Right now there is no reason to throw out an attack as conquer when your enemy is aggressive.

You could say that about everyone, except PK who is fast enough to get past that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you're not playing raider you're doing it drat wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p83F7NU6mI

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I like Warden. :unsmith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah i'm on record as saying Conqueror was the worst class in the game but I was 100% wrong. Guaranteed damage that isn't tied to a parry or GB is really strong.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Heartcatch posted:

I like Warden. :unsmith:

warden looks cool

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Yeah i'm on record as saying Conqueror was the worst class in the game but I was 100% wrong. Guaranteed damage that isn't tied to a parry or GB is really strong.

They're boring as gently caress to fight and every single one just spams the same combo over and over

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah just went 20 rounds straight against a conq in 1v1 and all I did was dodge. Thing is, the tracking on bashes is so hosed that the dodge wasn't guaranteed. So boring and frustrating to fight.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

imagine how he felt fighting someone who's only defensive measure for 20 rounds was dodging

is Conq still bugged where you can get free hits on him if you block his light attack? That ended up being a bug, right? Like not even parry, just block and he can't do poo poo about what comes next.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 4, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It was his recommendation. I was playing zerker and going for feints and offense and he tried to help me by letting me know only dodges can counter the bash. I stayed for 20 rounds for practice to get better and all I learned was spam dodge. It was dumb.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
At what point do you start getting good gear? I'm prestige 1 level 11 and still don't have any blues.

Edit: Apparently I was my inventory was full....

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
You know the best part of the conq shield bash? Even if you successfully dodge and he misses it's still safe and you don't get a guaranteed GB from it :smith:

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fadam posted:

Is there something that's guaranteed after shield bash?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Side light.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

dromer posted:

Is there something that's guaranteed after shield bash?

Light attack, which you can then whip around pk fast for some more followup.

Keegers posted:

Uhhhh, that's the best time to abuse the fact that your range is Nobushi long with a charge attack. Or purposefully whiff a heavy and follow with another while they try to get you.

Conq, Warlord, and Warden are all so good because they are great on defense and offense both. Which pretty much no other class is.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

The big thing is that if the Conq is good, you literally can't punish the missed shield bash. They just recover their defenses too quickly.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah I've dodged bashes as a zerker and they still were able to block my side dodge attack after the whiffed bash.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

The big thing is that if the Conq is good, you literally can't punish the missed shield bash. They just recover their defenses too quickly.

Nobushi, PK, Valk, Orochi, and Zerk can all dodge attack faster than the recovery. They just cant really get a high damage. followup if the conq can gb counter. Warlord and other conqs can dodge into headbutt or shield bash with narrow timing. Shugo can eat the bash or heavy and light attack him. Warden can shoulder bash mixup if he's close enough.

Nothing really does a bunch of damage or sets up a solid combo though, i agree.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I beat the campaign on Normal, and I jumped into Multiplayer Elimination against AI, and I'm generally 1:3 with them. Is there a way to get better other than playing the story on Hard mode, as the story was kind of bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm about ready to slam someone's head in a door if another skirmish (4th one now!) chokes out and dies right at the end, when this is the last one I need to just complete for the lovely quest.

Edit: 5th. 6th. 7th. 8th. 9th.

Thank god almighty it's over.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 5, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

TwoQuestions posted:

I beat the campaign on Normal, and I jumped into Multiplayer Elimination against AI, and I'm generally 1:3 with them. Is there a way to get better other than playing the story on Hard mode, as the story was kind of bad.

Make a custom match with 99 rounds / 10 minute rounds / no damage / lvl 3 Warden bot, and just defend. Block attacks, counter guard breaks and avoid his shoulder bash unblockable until you can do it all consistently.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Double Bill posted:

Make a custom match with 99 rounds / 10 minute rounds / no damage / lvl 3 Warden bot, and just defend. Block attacks, counter guard breaks and avoid his shoulder bash unblockable until you can do it all consistently.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT'S UBISOFT'S FOR HONOR AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JENNIFER HALE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME VIKING BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST SHITTIEST STORY MODE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Double Bill posted:

You can actually make rounds time unlimited, not that it matters I guess. Also turn off revenge and gear stats. Some of the level 3 bots have enough resistance that they can counter what should be guaranteed guard breaks. Which was annoying to find out when I was practicing those.

But yeah practicing defense against level 3 bots (especially parries and counter guard breaks) was a huge help for me. It's probably the best practice other than doing a ton of duels.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

TwoQuestions posted:

Elimination was a bit tough starting out, you can try out PVE Skirmish mode to get your feet wet.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TwoQuestions posted:

This is only one question :colbert:

I played in the last 2 betas and I was still getting beat up by the bots in AI domination and elimination. I just did a bunch of 1v1 against bots to figure out why I was dying so much and how to use my special moves against the different classes.

You're probably dying because the bots are a lot more aggressive in pve as opposed to story mode. I was always trying to pull off chains and deflect attacks against them but you can't commit to those attacks while they are relentlessly throwing out attacks as well. I found that I was trying to block after I had already started attacking. In a lot of games blocking quickly will cancel your attack but not in this one.

Unrelated, but I was trying to complete the Dominion pve bounty today and all 3 matches I got into had the same 2 people afk boosting. One of them was prestige 12 and max gear score. gently caress those guys, I recorded everything and I am going to tattle so hard.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Pvp is a smoother learning curve on my opinion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Valks are probably near perfect in terms of balance. They have interesting options, some good mix-ups but everything is punishable. And she burns through stamina fairly quickly trying to combo so you can't infinitely spam your sweep combo (unless you have revenge).

I'd like to see some use for the deflect and light parry but, it's safer just to regularly parry but outside that she feels really good. Not as good as some characters, but those characters probably need to be toned down.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone have some resources (youtube, streams, ect.) on pro players using Warden?

I'm having a tough time cracking Nobushi's who can keep their range from me and stay out of corners. I can block and parry their attacks all day long but parries on her long weapon leave me out of range for the garunteed GB follow up.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Jesus.

So I win the first round against an Orochi pretty handily. Beginning of the second round he starts talking about how worthless he is if he can't even play a game decently. Just huge issues out of nowhere. I told him everyone has poo poo rounds and he should probably take a break. What's the word for anti salt when you want to reach through the screen and help someone? :smith:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

7c Nickel posted:

Jesus.

So I win the first round against an Orochi pretty handily. Beginning of the second round he starts talking about how worthless he is if he can't even play a game decently. Just huge issues out of nowhere. I told him everyone has poo poo rounds and he should probably take a break. What's the word for anti salt when you want to reach through the screen and help someone? :smith:

Being a good person to your fellow gamers

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

7c Nickel posted:

Jesus.

Sugar? Ointment? Let the ointment flow, buddy. I love when a dude on line breaks out the ointment.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
It's taken 65 hours, a bunch of steel, and a ton of salvage...but I did it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I didn't realize how much gear broke this game until I got it. I'm just reaving through people now and proccing revenges off of like two blocks or getting hit while focusing on someone else.

Even not counting revenges just upping my attack and defense has made it so people can't two shot me anymore but I can practically two shot anyone below my gear level.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally got to Apollyon on realistic in the story and this very well may be the most I've ever hated a game.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finally got to Apollyon on realistic in the story and this very well may be the most I've ever hated a game.

I hated that fight even on Hard, like why do I have to be one of my least favourite classes for it!? Why couldn't it have been the kensei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Just use the heal on demand to keep your health up and dodge until your unblockable boost is ready.