Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hes right its 1/5th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

I just kinda have to pop in and say that this is the first zelda game in about 10 years that I really like, and I really like it. I have just unlocked a third map portion and holy hell is this game gigantic! And fun to play to booth!

One question for after you meet the second old acquaintance in the city with the institute.. there's a house that's being demolished, and the guy tells you that you might be able to buy it from "chef". Where is chef?

Chief! Just keep circling the house they're demolishing. He's there!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So any complaints yet about this Zelda game being too easy? :laugh:

Seriously though, this game is loving hard.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spasticColon posted:

So any complaints yet about this Zelda game being too easy? :laugh:

Seriously though, this game is loving hard.

ya, i spent an hour on an optional boss and loved it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

There was one, but it didn't remove a majority of it. I found a YouTube video, you have to climb a really small piece of debris and you can jump to the tower and over the goopy part.

How much more Stamina do you get for a Stamina Upgrade? I've been getting Heart Containers exclusively because I want more health to survive this brutal rear end world but I think I need more stamina at this point.

The game is so unforgiving it's hilarious. I was shooting arrows at a horseman guy, knocked him off his horse, and then accidentally shot the horse as it was running away. Sorry, horsey. Fight the dude for a few seconds, then HORSE OUT OF NOWHERE one-shots me. Ahahaha. Okay.

I need more hearts.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I do wonder what "hard mode" will even do, this game is brutal already. Make it so when you eat food you actually have to sit through an animation in the world or something?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm having an extreme amount of fun playing pokemon snap in tablet mode, and if they don't make a free-roaming next-gen Pokemon snap game in this engine they're seriously losing money. :3:

Holy gently caress. I just found the gigantic respawning lightning dragon which is a mile long and not even a boss. :asoiaf:

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

General game design talk, I really dig MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, and I also really dig this (which has more polish and is a bigger world), there's a trend. Japanese devs doing the big open world spaces thing, not going for intricate smaller areas like they used to (at least applicable in the case of MGS, and in some ways on Zelda's previous too linear for some big dungeon levels etc). I love open world games, GTA3 knocked my socks off, I dig the genre in general. But I think at some point, making bigger more open game worlds, even if done really really well, the pendulum should swing the other way sometime.

Take that first third of Witcher 2, where you're going around forests and whatnot around this one town and stuff. Very very interesting, to me very lived in feeling and atmospheric, not saying this game isn't, but bigger isn't the only way to go for this stuff. I could see the next Zelda going GTA5 on this (which I do love), a bigger better GTA4, so I guess another huge open Zelda but with even more stuff in it. Which would be awesome, but to me in some ways it might also almost be exausting in some ways.

I really dug the cozy feel of smaller early 3D worlds like OoT, having a realistic huge scale doesn't always add to the gameplay in every way. But when people here about a new RPG/Zelda style adventure, they often say "how big is it? is it huge?", I myself am kind of leaning the other way, like, let's make it less huge, but make every step more memorable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh God I stumbled onto A Major Test of Strength and everything hurts

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

El Burbo posted:

I do wonder what "hard mode" will even do, this game is brutal already. Make it so when you eat food you actually have to sit through an animation in the world or something?

I'm thinking the "hard mode" will be for the :darksouls: crowd and other gaming masochists.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
If you block an arrow with your shield it will stay and you can recover the arrow when you put your shield away.

I love this drat game.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yo gently caress the blue flame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This rear end in a top hat Guardian was shooting me while I climbed up the side of a mountain- little did he know I climb better when I'm on fire eat poo poo loser.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm approaching a Tower because I'm trying to uncover the whole map, poo poo's locked down with sentries everywhere. I make it to the base of the tower and there's literally no way to climb it because there's purple goop all over it that stops you and does damage. How am I supposed to get around this? If I have to come back with something I'm going to be pissed I wasted so much time just getting here.

Haha I just did this one and I'm pretty sure I did it in a unintended way. There's a little broken arch near the tower and one corner is covered in goop and it's supposed to stop you- but link kinda bugs out and starts climbing upside down on the bottom arch like a loving freak spiderman and you can get up that way. I just jumped over the gooey part of the tower and the rest was clear enough to climb :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 4, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I did the shrine near Kakariko and I can't believe this game was made by Platinum the whole time.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Guessing hard mode will prevent you from eating in the middle of a fight.

Also we need a thread title change days ago

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This rear end in a top hat Guaridan was shooting me while I climbed up the side of a mountain- little did he know I climb better when I'm on fire eat poo poo loser.

Oh god gently caress the guardians. I spent about an hour trying to activate the Shikah tower in front of Hyrule castle and resorted to save spamming while climbing the loving tower.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Despera posted:

Guessing hard mode will prevent you from eating in the middle of a fight.

Also we need a thread title change days ago

Breath of the Wild: Moons are Assholes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

I go like 2 in game weeks with no blood moons, then I get 3 in a row. I dunno whats up with that.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Breath of the Wild: Nintendo finally got tired of people complaining that the Zelda games are too easy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Portal: The Zelda Scrolls/Souls

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

spasticColon posted:

Oh god gently caress the guardians. I spent about an hour trying to activate the Shikah tower in front of Hyrule castle and resorted to save spamming while climbing the loving tower.

You can reflect their eye beams with a shield bash. You will also die 20 times trying to get the timing right.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Or "Future Best Zelda Game"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So, feed one of those stable dogs three pieces of meat. He will be a Good Boy and sniff out a secret!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Bruceski posted:

You can reflect their eye beams with a shield bash. You will also die 20 times trying to get the timing right.

Which is why I gave up trying to get the timing right after about 5 tries.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
People getting stuck on mountains in the rain, try to find a spot to build a campfire and wait until morning or night. I'm not totally sure if you can build a campfire in the rain, though? I did it once in the desert.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are redeads/gibdos in this game?

I always look forward to being terrified by them when a new zoldo comes out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Fighting a Hinox out in the middle of a field and things are going great. Out of nowhere a god drat guardian shows up to join the fight. I decide to duck out when just as I run behind the Hinox, the guardian lasers it for decent damage. Instead of leaving I played an awesome matador mini game where I kept luring the guardian to laser the Hinox until it died and then killed the guardian.

This game is GOAT

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are redeads/gibdos in this game?

I always look forward to being terrified by them when a new zoldo comes out.

no.

instead you get enormous walking skeletons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha I just did this one and I'm pretty sure I did it in a unintended way. There's a little broken arch near the tower and one corner is covered in goop and it's supposed to stop you- but link kinda bugs out and starts climbing upside down on the bottom arch like a loving freak spiderman and you can get up that way. I just jumped over the gooey part of the tower and the rest was clear enough to climb :v:

This is how I did it too!

Snuck around Hyrule Castle for a bit to get memory 8 and it was intense but not as tough as I expected!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are the Ancient Parts just for upgrading the Slate? I'm almost done with those upgrades so I'd just like to sell my stuff to get a bunch of money.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am so loving pissed off right now. How do I keep the Lord of the Mountain???

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I feel like I need a hat. Where can I get a hat

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing this for two days solid. Holy gently caress, it's been years since a game has drawn me in this much, it's so god drat good.

The game is so big and so packed, I'm never going to be able to comb through it all. Love the little references in the location names, such as the lakes named after the zoras in Majora's Mask. Also I stumbled across a Lynel and it loving destroyed me, game is hard.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are the Ancient Parts just for upgrading the Slate? I'm almost done with those upgrades so I'd just like to sell my stuff to get a bunch of money.

There's a place where you can buy a bunch of gear with that stuff. It's way northeast.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Probably super basic but early on the old man I could have his fleece jacket or whatever if I could make the raw meat and pepper recipe from his diary.

Did that, have it in my inventory but he'a still not handing it over. What now?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Probably super basic but early on the old man I could have his fleece jacket or whatever if I could make the raw meat and pepper recipe from his diary.

Because it's not a raw meat and pepper dish

It's a raw meat, pepper, and bass recipe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

You cooked raw meat + pepper + fish? Because that's the recipe he needs.

If you don't want to bother then he'll also give you the doublet if you climb to the very peak of that snowy mountain.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Louisgod posted:

You're missing one item for cooking.

raw meat, fish, pepper

Edit: beat like link vs guardian

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also if you don't do it before you're out of the starting area it's just in his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So how is the sword//weapon play in this game. is there a Zelda game that it's more similar too? I always felt like the swordplay in WW was the best, and I just want to gauge how LONK handles himself this time around.