Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CubsWoo posted:

Are there any mandatory MLB penalties/suspensions for drunk driving convictions like they do for domestic violence or is Kang OK to play now?
It's unclear if he's going to get suspended by MLB over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's unclear if he's going to get suspended by MLB over this.

I looked up the statutes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of alcohol/DUI provision in the drug or conduct policy and that's going to get a ton of scrutiny if MLB is fine giving out 30+ game suspensions for domestic violence allegations (whether or not they end in arrests or convictions) but then have no league punishments for multiple DUI convictions.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CubsWoo posted:

I looked up the statutes and there doesn't seem to be any kind of alcohol/DUI provision in the drug or conduct policy and that's going to get a ton of scrutiny if MLB is fine giving out 30+ game suspensions for domestic violence allegations (whether or not they end in arrests or convictions) but then have no league punishments for multiple DUI convictions.

Or that Alex Reyes (:rip:) got 50 for pot as a minor leaguer. Good priorities, baseball.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kind of late to the party but is the coaching box rule "change" just a clarification of existing rules? Is it there to make existing coaching habits allowable (like leaving the box to run down 3rd base line to let players better see the coach as they round third)?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Bud Selig thinks Marvin Miller should be in the Hall of Fame. I actually agree with him on something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Brett Lawrie's getting released.

V:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Given that Miller actively disdained the Hall of Fame, and always swore he'd boycott the induction ceremony if he were ever voted in, it would feel a little weird to put him in posthumously.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Agreed. Now endorse Curt Flood for the Hall, Bud.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Given that Miller actively disdained the Hall of Fame, and always swore he'd boycott the induction ceremony if he were ever voted in, it would feel a little weird to put him in posthumously.
I thought he did this in reaction to the hall's initial resistance towards his induction.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

I thought he did this in reaction to the hall's initial resistance towards his induction.

It was more that he thought it was ludicrous that management / ownership types, who have a long, sordid history of attempting to gently caress over labor at every opportunity, should be involved in the Veterans Committee, which exists to recognize labor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's more important to baseball history than any of the commissioners currently enshrined there, so put him in already

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

make a new hall across the street with Barry, Rocket, and Marvin only

Arod can come too I guess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's more important to baseball history than any of the commissioners currently enshrined there

Yes and no. Miller changed how baseball works in a big way because he was a cranky bastard (and it's a shame that the union has become so toothless after Don Fehr left to rescue the NHLPA from its own ineptitude), but the MLBPA wasn't a one-man operation when it was making waves in the '60s and '70s and I think it's wrong to lionize Miller when guys like Dick Moss and even Peter Seitz had as much or more impact on the game, yet are largely forgotten in the sands of time.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

tadashi posted:

N: Brett Lawrie's getting released.

V:

I read the breaking news on Daily rear end Bible

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Sad to see a Canadian player going out of the game, regardless of whether he was any good or not

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And exhale
https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/837775007531036673

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Sad to see a Canadian player going out of the game, regardless of whether he was any good or not

Not really. I'd rather just see, like, you know, good players.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Someone will sign him.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

mpaarating posted:

Not really. I'd rather just see, like, you know, good players.

He was good enough to be the centerpiece of the Donaldson trade!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

I stand by my statements about Price and his contract :colbert:

(Please please please prove me wrong, if John Lackey can do it so can you)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

He was good enough to be the centerpiece of the Donaldson trade!

Yeah he's not a terrible player but his body is falling apart

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Man the Athletics Lawrie/Donaldson trade looks so incredibly terrible. A's you dumb cheap bastards.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
That Donaldson trade was so bad at first and has gotten worse over time.

Angels are like 7-0 in spring training with a ton of 1 run wins, setting up for an 8-20 start in April like they usually do.

+11 run differential with several walkoffs

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The team record in Spring Training means nothing. The Cubs went 11-19 last year in Spring Training.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Donaldson trade was basically one of those 4-for-1 trades you receive in Fantasy Baseball that you immediately reject.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

But Franklin Barreto looks promising!

:smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Good Dog posted:

That Donaldson trade was so bad at first and has gotten worse over time.

Angels are like 7-0 in spring training with a ton of 1 run wins, setting up for an 8-20 start in April like they usually do.

+11 run differential with several walkoffs

But moneyball guys

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

NiceGuy posted:

I stand by my statements about Price and his contract :colbert:

(Please please please prove me wrong, if John Lackey can do it so can you)

Stick to your guns, it doesn't matter if the Sox win a world series this year. A bad contract is a bad contract.

It's just like paying 180 million dollars for someone who can't hit.

http://deadspin.com/jason-heyward-rebuilt-his-butt-swing-from-scratch-1792937777

Jason's swing is in the best shape of it's life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

David Price is a mutant?

quote:

They’re like, ‘Your elbow is extremely unique. It’s found a way to kind of heal itself.’ So it’s pretty neat.”

Oh good, his elbow fixed itself, i'm sure that will turn out fine :ohdear:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

They’re like, ‘Your elbow is extremely unique. It’s found a way to kind of heal itself.’ So it’s pretty neat.”
__________________________________________/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Salvor_Hardin posted:

__________________________________________/

"Science tells us that if your UCL is already torn, it drastically reduces the chance of it tearing."

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Andrews: "Uh.... David Price definitely does not need surgery, and his elbow has uh... managed to repair itself, and he is guaranteed a bright long career."

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Statcast is going to have "hit probability" and "catch probability" based on historical launch angle/exit velocity data.

Sounds like a less sloppy way of measuring luck than BABIP. Cool.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's the kind of thing I'd hoped to see when they first implemented statcast so that's cool. Will be interesting to see if/how that stuff evolves over time

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

howe_sam posted:

David Price is a mutant?

Oh good, his elbow fixed itself, i'm sure that will turn out fine :ohdear:

quote:

Price said he felt some soreness while warming up for Tuesday’s sim game, though this isn’t out of the ordinary, since he typically hears a “pop” at the start of spring training that tells him his arm is loose and ready for the season. The soreness increased that night.

Uhhh that doesn't sound good

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
God I'm so ready for baseball to start. I've been phone recording my own swing in the apartment because it's too cold to hit off a tee outside. The pseudo spring we had in Chicago the past month has made this recent cold unbearable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My 94 year old grandmother recently asked me to go through some large bins full of stuff that she has from long ago, and throw away what she didn't want anymore, and in the process of doing so, I stumbled on this pennant from the year 1944. This is rad as hell and i'm thinking about having it framed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

My 94 year old grandmother recently asked me to go through some large bins full of stuff that she has from long ago, and throw away what she didn't want anymore, and in the process of doing so, I stumbled on this pennant from the year 1944. This is rad as hell and i'm thinking about having it framed.

drat, Tim Wakefield had a hell of a career.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I still have this 3/4 long sleeve I wear too practice.

• Locked thread