Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Today tens of thousands of people marched in London against austerity and were addressed by the shadow Chancellor and leader of the opposition. Online at least, it didn't qualify as news.
The march is on the front pages of the Guardian, Times, Beeb, Mirror, and Indy right now. Might be an idea to do a few seconds of background research before breathlessly copy-pasting the Canary's take on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm curious how much publicity the march got beforehand - I work for the NHS, am a Labour member and get emails about all kinds of boring poo poo I have no interest in and I had no idea the march was happening.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

kingturnip posted:

I'm curious how much publicity the march got beforehand - I work for the NHS, am a Labour member and get emails about all kinds of boring poo poo I have no interest in and I had no idea the march was happening.

It was in my labour email

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EcF-JrZgo

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

The march is on the front pages of the Guardian, Times, Beeb, Mirror, and Indy right now. Might be an idea to do a few seconds of background research before breathlessly copy-pasting the Canary's take on the situation.

I know it's hard to tolerate people having a different opinion, but the 'front page' of a website can mean anything from top billing to a tiny link in the corner. I just don't think a march attended by tens of thousands and the two most prominent opposition politicians is getting the attention it should. Especially when places like the Independent consider a single Labour MPs hot take to be more headline worthy when that take is anti-Corbyn.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jabby posted:

I know it's hard to tolerate people having a different opinion, but the 'front page' of a website can mean anything from top billing to a tiny link in the corner. I just don't think a march attended by tens of thousands and the two most prominent opposition politicians is getting the attention it should. Especially when places like the Independent consider a single Labour MPs hot take to be more headline worthy when that take is anti-Corbyn.

Looking at both the BBC and the independents website coverage you can see that 6 hours ago the protest was the lead on both sites. The beeb had three stories about it, including live video of the protest which dominated their front page. On the independent it was the lead through the afternoon until the Bradshaw story broke this evening at which it got pushed down to the third rider on the lead. This is the modern news cycle, new stories will displace old stories and push them down the tier in order to draw fresh eyes and attention. You can point at bias in the nature of the coverage and the content of the copy, but the fact that an old story was displaced by a new lead is not itself evidence of bias.

They lost their cycle, it happens, but media sites are going to put new copy front and centre. A good press team is going to try and control the cycle for as long as they can but inevitably it's going to fall down the front page.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

jabby posted:

It's moments like this where those who think there isn't any media bias and that it isn't having any effect need to start noticing that it's not some strange tin foil hat conspiracy.
BBC - has it as a second line main story
Mirror - has it as like 4th line story
Independent - 4th main story, under the anti-Corbyn hot take
Guardian - second line main story

Now take the sites which have the most UK readership bar the BBC and Guardian, and have allegedly 22 million average daily unique browser hits between them:
mail online - literally buried down 5+ page scrolls
telegraph - doesn't even have it as a story
sun - i gave up counting page scrolls to get to the march story

So, from a 10 minute search on the main sites and a glance at the viewing figures, if it weren't for the BBC, a significant chunk of the population wouldn't even be aware of what happened. If people who subscribe to the 3 worst sites for burying the story didn't read anything else, they'd be blissfully unaware and be looking at some one direction smacking someone or prince Harry holding hands "story."

Edit: ^^^^ yes there is some churn, but when I don't see a story for the Telegraph and the Mail and Sun are many page scrolls, you can't just hand wave away that they don't prioritise stories based on their own agenda.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Today tens of thousands of people marched in London against austerity and were addressed by the shadow Chancellor and leader of the opposition. Online at least, it didn't qualify as news.

Meanwhile Ben Bradshaw said Copeland was all Corbyns fault and this is the top story on the Independent. gently caress the media in this country.

The march is a BBC news app 'too story' whereas I can't see anything about Copeland.

Did you bother to check yourself?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That's Tom Jones dead

https://t.co/Z9boFAV5pM

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Don't lol me said it better than me. Maybe I just missed the brief period where this story was a top news item, but the fact that several very major news sites have absolutely buried it and another has it underneath yet another tedious Corbyn attack piece is enough reason to justify my 'gently caress the media' opinion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Di-Di-Di-Dementia

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Don't lol me said it better than me. Maybe I just missed the brief period where this story was a top news item, but the fact that several very major news sites have absolutely buried it and another has it underneath yet another tedious Corbyn attack piece is enough reason to justify my 'gently caress the media' opinion.

Don't lol me commented on how prominent the march story was, not whether some comment on Copeland was deemed more newsworthy.

You seem to have decided that this Corbyn 'attack piece' has become big news despite it not actually being news.

And the march is still a top news item right now.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

It fits in with the whole angle of how the media does things - why does an opinion piece have more weight than something that actually happened some hours earlier, about something that happened 5 days ago?

Can't wait for the newspapers to have it on the front pages tomorrow, that's how it works right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'll be honest about a casual racism I have, i'm really annoyed by the Northern Irish accent.

Ah, never worry, there's nothing racist about that. When I hear someone say they like Northern Irish accents I assume there's something wrong with them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, never worry, there's nothing racist about that. When I hear someone say they like Northern Irish accents I assume there's something wrong with them.

http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/craic/northern-irish-accent-voted-the-sexiest-in-the-uk

Suck it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Never on the first date, no matter how sexy your accent is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't Lol me posted:

It fits in with the whole angle of how the media does things - why does an opinion piece have more weight than something that actually happened some hours earlier, about something that happened 5 days ago?

An 'opinion piece' is not the same thing as a newspaper reporting somebody's opinion.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

pfft but which sub accent

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

poo poo, that changes everything.
So its hearsay bumping a factual article? Sounds even worse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'll always remember when I used to go to the Boys' Brigade over at the Castlereagh Road and I was asked, "Why does your brother sound normal but you sound posh?" and I'll always be hung up on it. I've twice (once on my way out of a job interview and the second time in Manchester, of all places) had people ask me if I was variously American or Canadian or if I'd lived there because of my accent and that's even more confusing. I don't get it.

Of course, I reckon I've always resented the sound of my own voice so there's probably some deeper neuroses at play.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Something I am curious about is why so many people here pronounce Stormont as Stormount. I even heard MLAs calling it that. I haven't asked anyone in case it is yet another tradiyshun I am ignorant of.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've twice (once on my way out of a job interview and the second time in Manchester, of all places) had people ask me if I was variously American or Canadian or if I'd lived there because of my accent and that's even more confusing. I don't get it.

I got this all the time when I lived in Scotland.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

see also: Murials

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yer tone is awntawganistic and yer makin' me very awngry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason my increasingly Yorkshire accent gets me American/Canadian too.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've had people seem genuinely impressed that I can place their accent to Northern Ireland. Which suggests they get a whole bunch of stupid places suggested.

My go-to if I need to put on an accent myself is Reverend Ian Paisley, because while we couldn't hear Gerry Adams on TV in the 90s, we always got to hear from that nutjob.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I close the left side of my mouth and block my nose.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paisley is pure flow mid-ulster and Belfahhhhst and Derry wans rip the piss out of that accent a lot.

I think any Northern who has had to make themselves intelligible to outsiders gets accused of being posh tbh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

I close the left side of my mouth and block my nose.

You sort of do that then say "MOSSIS THOCHER WILL BURN IN HULL!"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Well, I'm obliged to post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo

Just noticed he uses the term crocodile tears. Some things don't change :)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason my increasingly Yorkshire accent gets me American/Canadian too.

I have no idea how this would happen - Yorkshire accent to my forrin ears is basically scottish-lite. It's definitely nowhere even close to any USA accent.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'll always remember when I used to go to the Boys' Brigade over at the Castlereagh Road and I was asked, "Why does your brother sound normal but you sound posh?" and I'll always be hung up on it. I've twice (once on my way out of a job interview and the second time in Manchester, of all places) had people ask me if I was variously American or Canadian or if I'd lived there because of my accent and that's even more confusing. I don't get it.

Of course, I reckon I've always resented the sound of my own voice so there's probably some deeper neuroses at play.

Yeah, its a weird thing you will notice about Northern Ireland.
My cousins are the same, all raised in the same house for 20 years, one has a clear non-specific accent, another has a real rural farmer one.

Another thing we all have, we talk faster than most other regions in the UK.
I live in the south now, and have to consciously slow down for other english main language speakers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I have no idea how this would happen - Yorkshire accent to my forrin ears is basically scottish-lite. It's definitely nowhere even close to any USA accent.

*shrug*

My accent is a mix of Yorkshire and this, with affectations of RP when I'm feeling up to it.

I don't know where they get American from.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
RIP Ian Paisley

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So is the DUP trying to keep Arlene Foster as first minister going to be a total poo poo show?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Can someone who was on the March post a trip review please?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

scuse me guys but uh why is tony blair trying to get in to the trump presidency

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

crispix posted:

Well, I'm obliged to post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo

Just noticed he uses the term crocodile tears. Some things don't change :)

This never gets old.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/838151492305551360

Okay at this point he's just trolling us, right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/04/sixth-form-education-undergo-biggest-overhaul-70-years-multi/

This is amazing, my dad was a senior civil servant in the department of employment and they recommended exactly this to John Major's govenement 22 years ago. If it's school based learning, rather than work placements coupled with a course as we have now, then it's going to save us a fortune. I am old enough to remember the whole process behind the new deal charter and can tell you what happened and what went wrong.

The new deal wiki is absolute horse poo poo of the highest order, it was John Major's government who thought up new deal and it was conceived in 1994-1996. I know this because of my hanging around in the department of employment during the school holidays and work experience in 1996 where I sat in (made tea) on a video meeting about new deal with John Major. I left home in 1997 so for the wilki to say it was conceived in 1998 is literally impossible. Yes Labour grabbed hold of it like a dog with a bone and "refined" it but it sure as poo poo wasn't their idea.

Civil service gets asked to find something to replace apprenticeships.
Civil service come up with several possibilities including new deal.
The simple concept is that you give kids the dole, plus an extra £10, (which with inflation works out at £18) and traveling expenses, they do a couple of days in college and the rest of the time they get a work placement. The employer gets given money for taking them and then they got £1000 if they passed the course.
Civil service stresses that it will not work for anyone over the age of 19, they stress it so hard it may have well have been written in blood.
Blair comes along and extends new deal to 21, then extends it again and again and again, removes traveling expenses.
It does not work for anyone over the age of 19.
Tories don't bother reforming it.
Slave class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How about we don't start a trend of trolling with obituaries for people whose names are, shall we say, not unusual?

E: FFS, I work in an office with Charles Manson. It's everywhere.

• Locked thread