Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wyoming posted:

Christianity has become, maybe going to church on Sundays, definitely holidays, and the rest of the time, whatever, maybe shout you're a good Christian if someone challenges your opinion on something.
Interesting though, it's not the entirety of it, but I do believe that could be a key component.

It's the same for most muslims:ssh: : https://translate.google.com/transl...B8se&edit-text=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Man, Juan Thompson being arrested for those bomb threats is loving wild. Especially after The Intercept published a story about how it was obviously being done by Trump supporters, and then bam, it was a dude who used to work for The Intercept but got fired for making poo poo up.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 5, 2017

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

All this George W talk reminds me of one of my favourite Onion bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0mS5I-j_Gc

Liberals stumping for him is totally baffling, though that tone-deafness is not really a surprise given the election outcome and Democrats' general inability for self-reflection.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just Trump is so bad that Bush seems less bad in hindsight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn't say it's true though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It's just Trump is so bad that Bush seems less bad in hindsight.

It's this. And that hating people is exhausting. There's only so much hate to go around. I hate Bush less simply by virtue of hating Trump a lot. It's not because I necissarily want to hate Bush less, I just, need to construct additional pylons or something.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Man, Juan Thompson being arrested for those bomb threats is loving wild. Especially after The Intercept published a story about how it was obviously being done by Trump supporters, and then bam, it was a dude who used to work for The Intercept but got fired for making poo poo up.

From what I heard Thompson's calls were only 8 out of over a hundred or so. What he did was gross but doesn't explain the overall trend we're seeing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

plz dont pull out posted:

From what I heard Thompson's calls were only 8 out of over a hundred or so. What he did was gross but doesn't explain the overall trend we're seeing.

Well, ya, thats the reasonable way of looking at it, but that's not how most people will see it. It's gonna be used to discredit the left and the press.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Isn't it always the case where American Muslims either fly overseas to join AlQaeda or ISIS ,or just shoot up a gay night club have zero actual knowledge of Islam. To the point where "Islam for Dummies" is literally on there Amazon history in the same month they decided to commit a heinous act of violence.

Religious belief is at best only a symptom, and mostly just an excuse for evil.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

That's just the malaise of living in Denmark.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

I dreamt that there was a real huge fat cat Garfield was based on and that I was petting it. I blame Lasagna cat and my medication.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
About to Watch Logan at a matinee, then, if I have the energy, bike across town for a 730 showing of John Wick 2, I'm going to see a lot of people get metal objects inside their skulls.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I could use a 20 min longer extended take of the elephant funeral procession scene from Santa Sangre, there's just so much to look at and take in and it's way too short.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I forget who is was but someone on left twitter said he was the Phineas Gage of our era, except instead of a railroad spike he got impaled in the skull by brand engagement

plz dont pull out posted:

Do you follow any particular sect of Christianity or is it more a personal thing?

I was raised in a Polish immigrant household that was deeply culturally Catholic but didn't actually believe in God or care much about specific teachings that didn't have to do with rituals and defining a community. I kinda ended up as the exact opposite - I've always believed in the divinity of Christ and was absolutely fascinated by His teachings from an early age, but found the ritualistic aspects of the faith completely unappealing - partially because I was a bratty little girl and sitting through a Catholic mass suuuuuuucked, but also because as the years wore on I found that community more and more lacking. I guess I had this utopian idea that the kids in the religious education classes my parents sent me to were gonna be these kind, Christlike figures, but it turned out I was the only one there dweeby enough to actually want to talk about the Bible at all. The only way I ended up being able to relate to any of them was finding the one kid lamer than i was and being a catty bitch to him until the other kids found enough of my weak-as-gently caress roasts funny. The idea that this alleged community of faith was making me act like an actively worse person was, to say the least, uncomfortable

About that same time, this was when I would've been maybe 12 and my older brother was 14, he announced that he'd gotten into Ayn Rand and had read the whole Bible and decided that God wasn't real anymore, so I started freaking out and thinking like, oh poo poo, I better do the same thing (luckily the only Ayn Rand I ended up being able to make it through was like three quarters of Anthem) or else I'll be left in the dust as these cool older intellectuals forge on. It was dicey going during a lot of the Old Testament, but when I got to the Gospels I just kept getting more and more psyched about how cool Jesus was. Like, understanding how fully hip-youth-pastor this is to say, I started thinking of Jesus as this total badass, grinning like an idiot whenever He outsmarted whatever pack of Pharisee clowns in a really chill, playful way. Everything He was saying made total sense and felt like something I still absolutely wanted to be part of, so I started asking myself whether it was possible to hold onto that but pretty much ditch the parts of the faith that did nothing for me once I wrapped up my Confirmation like a good Catholic

Of course, the answer is yeah, just study the Bible on your own and seek out writings by interesting Christian thinkers and try to lead a life like Christ would've wanted. By college I was getting slightly embarrassed and nervous about it whenever a cultured Harvard atheist had something sharp to say about religious people, but that's really more my class anxiety than anything else. I was still ready to just tear into a giddy speech about how Jesus is Way Cool at the slightest indication that someone was interested in hearing it, and during a teaching program I was part of during the winter of '13, I even uh, kinda accidentally converted another kid to Christianity. We were all staying in the same apartment and some of us would always stay up late talking in the common room, and I learned pretty early on that she'd lost her faith after her dad died and her mom wasn't able to give good answers about where he was now, but still thought that Jesus as a man and teacher was really cool in a way similar to how I did. On the last day of the program someone else mentioned Christians as this vague, far-off concept and she butted in with "I mean, Jenny and I are Christians!". That hadn't even been what I was trying to do, but after asking her about it later it turned out that our talks had helped her restore her faith and confirm her sense that even if some people are absolutely terrible at being Christians, it didn't mean she couldn't try her best to be one

Later on, I mentioned that incident in passing to a high school friend of mine who was a much more traditional right-wing evangelical Christian, and he seemed kinda surprised that I would even care. Like, he knew I believed that you didn't need to be a Christian to enter heaven, so why would I be happy about helping someone else find her faith? It took me a little bit to articulate an answer because yeah, absolutely, if I don't believe in any nonsense about saving souls and being born again, that's the obvious motive out the window. But I was eventually able to explain that it warms up my heart to see anyone commit to any positive belief system in a way that makes them happier and makes them love their neighbor more. If she had come out of those discussions saying "Yeah, I love the moral teachings of Jesus, but they're still really disconnected from any kind of belief in His divinity and these talks have mostly just reaffirmed a humanist atheist view of the world for me", I hope I would've been just as happy

That's kinda a bigger answer than the specific question you asked called for, but I wanted to sorta indirectly respond as well to the questions of like, how and why one can be a progressive Christian. I totally get how tribalism is part and parcel with the faith in the broad cultural understanding of it, but if there's one thing that my brief Smug Rational Libertarian phase did for me, it's entrench the idea that tribal and blindly loyal mentalities are ones I wanna try and watch out for whenever they show up

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I've been watching a bunch of modern Mexican movies, like Heli (who's director just did a sci-fi erotic tentacle monster movie which is getting well received at festivals, it sounds nuts), After Lucia, Carlos Reygadas poo poo amongst other things. It feels like they have a cool scene going there these days, featuring a lot of brutally depressing movies, does anybody have any recommendations from it?

I was considering starting a thread but it looks like this forum doesn't really do Country-based threads

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jenny Angel posted:

I forget who is was but someone on left twitter said he was the Phineas Gage of our era, except instead of a railroad spike he got impaled in the skull by brand engagement

I was raised in a Polish immigrant household that was deeply culturally Catholic but didn't actually believe in God or care much about specific teachings that didn't have to do with rituals and defining a community. I kinda ended up as the exact opposite - I've always believed in the divinity of Christ and was absolutely fascinated by His teachings from an early age, but found the ritualistic aspects of the faith completely unappealing - partially because I was a bratty little girl and sitting through a Catholic mass suuuuuuucked, but also because as the years wore on I found that community more and more lacking. I guess I had this utopian idea that the kids in the religious education classes my parents sent me to were gonna be these kind, Christlike figures, but it turned out I was the only one there dweeby enough to actually want to talk about the Bible at all. The only way I ended up being able to relate to any of them was finding the one kid lamer than i was and being a catty bitch to him until the other kids found enough of my weak-as-gently caress roasts funny. The idea that this alleged community of faith was making me act like an actively worse person was, to say the least, uncomfortable

About that same time, this was when I would've been maybe 12 and my older brother was 14, he announced that he'd gotten into Ayn Rand and had read the whole Bible and decided that God wasn't real anymore, so I started freaking out and thinking like, oh poo poo, I better do the same thing (luckily the only Ayn Rand I ended up being able to make it through was like three quarters of Anthem) or else I'll be left in the dust as these cool older intellectuals forge on. It was dicey going during a lot of the Old Testament, but when I got to the Gospels I just kept getting more and more psyched about how cool Jesus was. Like, understanding how fully hip-youth-pastor this is to say, I started thinking of Jesus as this total badass, grinning like an idiot whenever He outsmarted whatever pack of Pharisee clowns in a really chill, playful way. Everything He was saying made total sense and felt like something I still absolutely wanted to be part of, so I started asking myself whether it was possible to hold onto that but pretty much ditch the parts of the faith that did nothing for me once I wrapped up my Confirmation like a good Catholic

Of course, the answer is yeah, just study the Bible on your own and seek out writings by interesting Christian thinkers and try to lead a life like Christ would've wanted. By college I was getting slightly embarrassed and nervous about it whenever a cultured Harvard atheist had something sharp to say about religious people, but that's really more my class anxiety than anything else. I was still ready to just tear into a giddy speech about how Jesus is Way Cool at the slightest indication that someone was interested in hearing it, and during a teaching program I was part of during the winter of '13, I even uh, kinda accidentally converted another kid to Christianity. We were all staying in the same apartment and some of us would always stay up late talking in the common room, and I learned pretty early on that she'd lost her faith after her dad died and her mom wasn't able to give good answers about where he was now, but still thought that Jesus as a man and teacher was really cool in a way similar to how I did. On the last day of the program someone else mentioned Christians as this vague, far-off concept and she butted in with "I mean, Jenny and I are Christians!". That hadn't even been what I was trying to do, but after asking her about it later it turned out that our talks had helped her restore her faith and confirm her sense that even if some people are absolutely terrible at being Christians, it didn't mean she couldn't try her best to be one

Later on, I mentioned that incident in passing to a high school friend of mine who was a much more traditional right-wing evangelical Christian, and he seemed kinda surprised that I would even care. Like, he knew I believed that you didn't need to be a Christian to enter heaven, so why would I be happy about helping someone else find her faith? It took me a little bit to articulate an answer because yeah, absolutely, if I don't believe in any nonsense about saving souls and being born again, that's the obvious motive out the window. But I was eventually able to explain that it warms up my heart to see anyone commit to any positive belief system in a way that makes them happier and makes them love their neighbor more. If she had come out of those discussions saying "Yeah, I love the moral teachings of Jesus, but they're still really disconnected from any kind of belief in His divinity and these talks have mostly just reaffirmed a humanist atheist view of the world for me", I hope I would've been just as happy

That's kinda a bigger answer than the specific question you asked called for, but I wanted to sorta indirectly respond as well to the questions of like, how and why one can be a progressive Christian. I totally get how tribalism is part and parcel with the faith in the broad cultural understanding of it, but if there's one thing that my brief Smug Rational Libertarian phase did for me, it's entrench the idea that tribal and blindly loyal mentalities are ones I wanna try and watch out for whenever they show up

same

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I've been watching a bunch of modern Mexican movies, like Heli (who's director just did a sci-fi erotic tentacle monster movie which is getting well received at festivals, it sounds nuts), After Lucia, Carlos Reygadas poo poo amongst other things. It feels like they have a cool scene going there these days, featuring a lot of brutally depressing movies, does anybody have any recommendations from it?

I was considering starting a thread but it looks like this forum doesn't really do Country-based threads

You should absolutely make a thread

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Blessed object:

I love these movies so much, a perfect trilogy. Beyond excited for Baby Driver.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm surprised they haven't somehow found a way to package those films in a Cornetto cone.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

doooo ittttttt

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I'm pretty sure we've had threads for both Korean films and Hong Kong films. So yeah, go ahead, I'd read it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

sci-fi erotic tentacle monster movie

Eh, it's been done before

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Glad there is some interest, I made a thread. Head on over!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812381

I'll update it as I watch more stuff!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Thank u for the cool post

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I suffer for my art

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like the idea of Kevin Spacey playing a guy named kpax who is basically Johnny Five Aces.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CPL593H posted:

I don't believe that you can be a true progressive and also a Christian.

Ahem.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you believe in womens' rights or are anti-slavery then you're a bad christian

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Coffee And Pie posted:

Blessed object:

I love these movies so much, a perfect trilogy. Beyond excited for Baby Driver.

I had this set when it first came out and adored it.

But I think either I lent it to someone or it got stolen. Fuckin blows.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Heli is outstanding and beyond deserving of a wide release, what's this tentacle movie?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

yo just echoing that this is a cool post.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, who made the last third of Logan, and why did he/she not make the other two-thirds? Less comic book characters being old and dying while the world they live in goes to poo poo, more stabby stabby fight fight to save people.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 5, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Woah, the DVD release of Targets totally omits the brutal, cutting title card that introduces the picture by listing gun massacres that immediately predate the film and then asking why, in 1968, we still don't have adequate firearms legislation. I can't find it online either so maybe it's unique to the ratty 35mm print I saw?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Anonymous Robot posted:

Woah, the DVD release of Targets totally omits the brutal, cutting title card that introduces the picture by listing gun massacres that immediately predate the film and then asking why, in 1968, we still don't have adequate firearms legislation. I can't find it online either so maybe it's unique to the ratty 35mm print I saw?

It's feasible that it was inserted for a special gun control screening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Man, who made the last third of Logan, and why did he/she not make the other two-thirds? Less comic book characters being old and dying while the world they live in goes to poo poo, more stabby stabby fight fight to save people.

Lmao no loving way Jesus Christ.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm sorta with Bibs on this and I can't believe it. If you have no nostalgia for Jackman as the character, Logan is just bad Shane.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao no loving way Jesus Christ.

Eh, maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic, but man, this movie quickly bummed me out in a way that drained me. I could tell what they were going for, and I generally appreciated the attempt, but man, until we finally saw Hugh Jackman running around slicing the poo poo out of fools, being appropriately heroic, I was in depression-based :geno: over the thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The best part of Logan was during X's seizure in Vegas, when everybody is frozen still except for Wolverine, who makes his way back to the hotel room and casually kills everyone while they're stuck in time, unable to defend themselves. That was creepy as hell; the shot of the one merc's eyes as he realizes what's about to happen to him.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ah dammit I'm watching Sausage Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ah dammit I'm watching Sausage Party

you hosed up