Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

Anyone with black dress-up shoes, especially when it's part of a uniform. :confused: The little... edge of the soles or whatever always has some tiny little pattern in it that loves to attract dust and dirt that becomes impossible to get out. Once you manage to wipe off or rinse out everything you can, you run your edge dressing squirty sponge bottle around it to cover up the wear and tear and remaining dust to make it look good as new. Otherwise, you wind up with shoes that are totally black except for the ring of less black / gray around them.

e: definitely not a marine lol

Water based edge dressing is complete poo poo.

E: gently caress they caught me giving a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Naked Bear posted:

Anyone with black dress-up shoes, especially when it's part of a uniform. :confused: The little... edge of the soles or whatever always has some tiny little pattern in it that loves to attract dust and dirt that becomes impossible to get out. Once you manage to wipe off or rinse out everything you can, you run your edge dressing squirty sponge bottle around it to cover up the wear and tear and remaining dust to make it look good as new. Otherwise, you wind up with shoes that are totally black except for the ring of less black / gray around them.

e: definitely not a marine lol

i know what edge dressing is and its purpose. i just never used it after bootcamp and assumed it was dumb bootcamp poo poo like calling windows portholes and marching.

edit:

you missed the real purpose of edge dressing: hazing. i finally get the edge dressed anuses joke.

vains fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Naked Bear posted:

or you just don't give a poo poo that the bottoms of shoes have dirt on them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Whoa hold up there. Are you saying I accept dirt on a piece of military equipment? Look at Mr Insider Threat over here

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The marine corps seems super gay, literally and figuratively.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

google search: 'edge dressing and anus'

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hazing is basically an act of worship as u render the subject an object of idolization, a little fag, and stuff things in the fag's butt hole that you wish could be in your own butt hole, if you were only so worthy. You people have it all wrong. The marines have uncovered the truth and they are living it every day. Haziness is next to godliness.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeris posted:

Hazing is basically an act of worship as u render the subject an object of idolization, a little fag, and stuff things in the fag's butt hole that you wish could be in your own butt hole, if you were only so worthy. You people have it all wrong. The marines have uncovered the truth and they are living it every day. Haziness is next to godliness.

That's some Stockholm Syndrome bullshit right there.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's some Stockholm Syndrome bullshit right there.

yeah Zeris is the biggest moto idiot around here

got a tattoo of a bald eagle with an ARCOM and a human penis cumming the words THE FEW THE PROUD across the statue of liberty's face

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

edit:

you missed the real purpose of edge dressing: hazing. i finally get the edge dressed anuses joke.
Well, this certainly is something.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Internet Wizard posted:

I just saw one of those dumb baby gender reveal videos that involved making marines stand in an actual formation so a gunny could read a fake award citation announcing the name of this SSGT's future child and expected birth date.

It's gotta be cool knowing your command sees you as a prop for their stupid facebook video.

If I were a congressman and found out about this, I would have that gunny and everyone up his chain begging for me to not end their careers.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Genocide Tendency posted:

If I were a congressman and found out about this, I would have that gunny and everyone up his chain begging for me to not end their careers.

I just read Wizard's post to my wife and she asked "isn't that an abuse of power?"

I just lolled

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Uh what was described there is a felony in most states last I checked

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

We had a total fuckup in my bootcamp platoon, recycled twice, clearly suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness. 2004 though, so rammed on through. He was caught purchasing a candy bar when he was sent out to have a few of the platoons' uniforms re-tailored just prior to graduation. His punishment was edge-dressing the whole platoons coraframs on family day. You can imagine the quality of the job. I never edge dressed again.

Edge dressing, not even once.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Uh what was described there is a felony in most states last I checked

State law doesn't govern military formations??

Unless I'm forgetting something or the law has changed.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think Smiling Jack is confusing the dumb baby thing with the sexual assault post above.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: I was equally confused, but that has to be it.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

I think Smiling Jack is confusing the dumb baby thing with the sexual assault post above.

Oh. Yea. Painting someone's nuts with edge dressing and shoving the brush up their rear end is prison time. For everyone there who didn't try to stop it and didn't followup with reporting it.

But calling formation because someone doesn't understand how condoms work and wound up creating a crotch parasite is still abuse of authority.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

There's a lot of concerned speculation about why SIGINT Marines don't stick around after their first enlistment.

Nobody seems to realize that promotions being so closed off that people can spend their full 5-year enlistment as an E-3, having language proficiency requirements in languages that they don't receive refresher training on, and then being treated like this video after all of that makes getting out and using their clearance and training to get six figures look pretty nice.

Some of these Battalions are so bad that one of my friends went from being super gung-ho to telling me that she was straight up ashamed whenever a family member found out she was a Marine, all in less than a year.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

i know what edge dressing is and its purpose.

You need to talk to someone?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

at the date posted:

yeah Zeris is the biggest moto idiot around here

got a tattoo of a bald eagle with an ARCOM and a human penis cumming the words THE FEW THE PROUD across the statue of liberty's face

Consider me doxxed

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
here yall go, round 1:14 is relevant to our lil chat

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXImc2eA1A4

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 5, 2017

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

i know what edge dressing is and its purpose. i just never used it after bootcamp and assumed it was dumb bootcamp poo poo like calling windows portholes and marching.

edit:

i'm just picturing these two marines, naked and afraid, crawling up their representative's steps with their edge dressed assholes glimmering in the moonlight, begging for the torment to stop

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

at the date posted:

google search: 'edge dressing and anus'

'edge dressing' AND 'anus'

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Hazing is fine unless you're a whiney bitch who takes poo poo personally or a complete sociopath who takes it too far

Which is why 90% of the military should be kept from doing it, I guess

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joining a drill team, even more lame than you might think.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hazing is fine unless you're a whiney bitch who takes poo poo personally or a complete sociopath who takes it too far

Which is why 90% of the military should be kept from doing it, I guess

Only 90%? Really?

You think a full 10% of the military isn't completely hosed up?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

Only 90%? Really?

You think a full 10% of the military isn't completely hosed up?

I'd say 10% is the generous upper bound of people who can haze new people without power tripping or ruining the new guy's life.

This estimate of "not being hosed up" extends only to hazing and not, say, drinking and going family style on the commander's chubby daughter with three of your buddies.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Crossing the line was actually a pretty cool experience, enough Termalene, 2190 TEP, humiliation, and saltwater firehose showers to make it feel like a real initiation, but nobody ever came close to the line of malicious sociopath poo poo. It might have helped that the whole command was in on it, and people up and down the chain of command were participating on both sides. An MM2 shellback making a LTJG pollywog run around in his underwear with cold pasta stuffed in it is all in good fun, but junior enlisted hazing only slightly more junior enlisted seems to be when someone gets caustic chemicals up the squeakhole. Still, some people opted out, which was allowed, but... seriously? Enjoy your dignity, I guess...

...fuckin' wog.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Christ the only thing we had was blood rank and blood wings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We had a keg in the office and whiskey down the hall.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Syrian Lannister posted:

Christ the only thing we had was blood rank and blood wings.

Throw in pink bellies and that's it for me. Oh and cherry tree, which was actually kind of fun, if stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When you need something done right, leave it to the Marines.

As long as that job is sharing nude photos taken without permission of their female colleagues on the internet, as well as identifying them by their name rank and location.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MARINES_NUDE_PHOTOS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-05-17-36-05

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

canyoneer posted:

When you need something done right, leave it to the Marines.

As long as that job is sharing nude photos taken without permission of their female colleagues on the internet, as well as identifying them by their name rank and location.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MARINES_NUDE_PHOTOS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-05-17-36-05

But were they ever trained not to? If not, how else are they supposed to know it's wrong?

This reminds me back when they and non-Marines would write letters to the paper defending Marine rapes in Okinawa because you just didn't understand the stress they were under. It's not their fault.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hazing is fine

No. Its pretty much trash. Either its lame rear end poo poo like picking up someone's dry cleaning or its shoving a baseball bat up their rear end and laughing about how they are bleeding.

People who think its important are either abusive fucks or mental children. Both are cancers and should be put down for the the greater good of the unit. Also, I don't give one gently caress about tradition or unit moral or what ever other bullshit excuse they cite. Im there to do my job, not be a friend or part of the crowd. Get poo poo done so I can get the gently caress away from these people.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hazing is absolute garbage teenager level thinking poo poo

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't think getting sprayed with a firehose or whatever the gently caress would make me trust the other members of my unit more. poo poo is fuckin dumb.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

But were they ever trained not to? If not, how else are they supposed to know it's wrong?

This reminds me back when they and non-Marines would write letters to the paper defending Marine rapes in Okinawa because you just didn't understand the stress they were under. It's not their fault.
The stress they're under on Okinawa:laugh:

"I was so stressed out about being confined to base because someone got raped that I went and raped someone"

In the famous General Morrison "Get out!" video he talks about how no one has ever been able to adequately explain to him how hazing enhances capabilities or builds morale. As well as making it clear that he thinks stuff like that is for shitbags who he wanted to get rid of.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 6, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

hazing is absolute garbage teenager level thinking poo poo

Truth. I used to think hazing was cool and fun when I was a dumb idiot teen cadet kid and I thought that was what made a tough military dude and it was camaraderie.

Then somewhere I realized that I was doing the same kind of rationalizations that abused people make about their abusers. If you want to talk poo poo and play gently caress gently caress games with your friends, that's fine, you're consenting adults; doing it to members of an organization who do not have any recourse to defend themselves, fight back, or otherwise opt out is gross abuse.

In the army, I feel like an rear end in a top hat because it's so loving normalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Victims of abuse frequently rationalize and defend the actions of their abuser, and in turn pass that abuse along to somebody below them, so it's not surprising to see that idiots think hazing is great.