Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Uhhh that doesn't sound good

uhhhhhh

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Statcast is going to have "hit probability" and "catch probability" based on historical launch angle/exit velocity data.

Sounds like a less sloppy way of measuring luck than BABIP. Cool.

This is really cool. Until now, only raw statcast data has been publicly available. Like, you can look at the exit velocity leaderboard and see that so-and-so hits the ball really hard. But now we're getting stats derived from the raw numbers. Soon we could have stats like expected batting average (xBA), telling you what a hitter's AVG should've been, based on where and how hard he hit the ball. And xOBA, and xERA for pitchers. And defense stats that don't rely on human observers, like UZR and DRS do, and are way more precise.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
JHey is 0-13 this spring.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

I know nothing about hitting, but I was at the games today and yesterday, and noticed that while he's starting with his hands lower, he brings them up back to where they were last year as the pitcher starts his windup. The hitch is still there, too. Thankfully, that's what spring training is for!

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Your Taint posted:

Who cares, he has "intangibles"!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i believe in heyward

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Jason is going to be giving a lot of speeches this year, ok?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

And defense stats that don't rely on human observers, like UZR and DRS do, and are way more precise.

Pleeeeeease I want this so bad.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants 1B coach Jose Alguacil was hit in the head by a foul line drive and airlifted to a hospital :(

quote:

Giants first base coach Jose Alguacil has been diagnosed with a broken nose and a laceration, the team announced Saturday evening. Alguacil also suffered small fractures in his eye socket.

Alguacil is undergoing surgery in a Phoenix-area hospital to fix his nose and close the wound.

It's too bad because he's by all accounts a terrific guy.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Giants 1B coach Jose Alguacil was hit in the head by a foul line drive and airlifted to a hospital :(

It's too bad because he's by all accounts a terrific guy.

Hopefully he doesn't lose his sight like Juan Encarnacion did. :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Hopefully he doesn't lose his sight like Juan Encarnacion did. :(

Or die like that 1st base coach in the minors several years back.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

16 hours left until baseball starts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

It's just like paying 180 million dollars for someone who can't hit.

http://deadspin.com/jason-heyward-rebuilt-his-butt-swing-from-scratch-1792937777

Heyward can hit, though, he consistently proved it for years before coming to Chicago. I don't think anyone could have predicted him to fall off a cliff / get mauled by wolves the way he did last season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is purely anecdotal/observation and so is subject to all of those types of biases but it seems to me like baseball players suffer from the sign big contract --> fall of cliff scenario than athletes in other American sports.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I believe he's still shook from taking that pitch to the jaw.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

BasicFunk posted:

I believe he's still shook from taking that pitch to the jaw.

How do we explain his 2015 season with the Cardinals where he hit .293/.359/.439 with a 117 OPS+ and 3.8 oWAR?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The more overt racism of Cardinals fans has a more positive effect than the pernicious, subtle racism of Cubs fans

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Pancakes posted:

How do we explain his 2015 season with the Cardinals where he hit .293/.359/.439 with a 117 OPS+ and 3.8 oWAR?

He put all his bad luck into the next season.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Timby posted:

Heyward can hit, though, he consistently proved it for years before coming to Chicago. I don't think anyone could have predicted him to fall off a cliff / get mauled by wolves the way he did last season.

Counterpoint, I'm a braves fan. Yes, many of us thought he couldn't hit.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

chilihead posted:

As evidenced by his ops+ of 114 in his 5 seasons there as a 20-24 year old? lol

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

The more overt racism of Cardinals fans has a more positive effect than the pernicious, subtle racism of Cubs fans

Dexter Fowler gonna be MVP

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Dexter Fowler gonna be MVP

I sincerely hope Dex has a great season.

I hope he doesn't have any good games against the Cubs and I hope the Cardinals are a sub-.500 team, but Dex is the only guy on the Cardinals that I want to do well.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Apparently the Jays are one of the teams interested in Lawrie . If he could be had for cheap and his ego allows him to be a bench player I would be OK with that , probably a better backup (offensively anyway) than barney or goins in case Travis keeps getting injured

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

As evidenced by his ops+ of 114 in his 5 seasons there as a 20-24 year old? lol

Ops+ of 114 across 5 seasons of a player everybody knew was gonna break the bank(He did BTW). LOL!!!!!. OK stat boy you take your 114 and 4 whole gold gloves and 1 all star award. Listen, i like the guy and was so hopeful after 2010, but i'm glad the Braves didn't pony up for him. I'm just having fun, we loved J-Hey but it was soooooo obvious he wasn't gonna be worth the money. As a reminder at first people just said this guy is huge, why can't he hit home runs. Now it's why can't he hit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chilihead posted:

Ops+ of 114 across 5 seasons of a player everybody knew was gonna break the bank(He did BTW). LOL!!!!!. OK stat boy you take your 114 and 4 whole gold gloves and 1 all star award. Listen, i like the guy and was so hopeful after 2010, but i'm glad the Braves didn't pony up for him. I'm just having fun, we loved J-Hey but it was soooooo obvious he wasn't gonna be worth the money. As a reminder at first people just said this guy is huge, why can't he hit home runs. Now it's why can't he hit.

cite your quotes

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

lol, remember that time the Cubs gave Jason Heyward like 180 million dollars

lol, remember that time the Cubs traded a bunch of dudes to rent Aroldis Chapman

e: edited so Poque's reply makes sense

TheChaosPath fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 6, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah what a lost season that was

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Speech was worth every penny.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jason Heyward can go sit on Montrose beach for the next 7 years. Mission Accomplished.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Popete posted:

Jason Heyward can go sit on Montrose beach for the next 7 years. Mission Accomplished.

We can at least let him cheer some from the dugout and give more speeches.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

chilihead posted:

You said you knew he couldn't hit when he was in Atlanta. He was an above average hitter when most players are in AA. I'm not sure what the rest of what you wrote is supposed to mean.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Looking up Heyward stats on B-Ref and I rediscover that Gaby Sanchez got two first place votes for 2010 ROTY. The hell?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

chilihead posted:

Thank god they gave Nick Markakis that 4 year deal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Looking up Heyward stats on B-Ref and I rediscover that Gaby Sanchez got two first place votes for 2010 ROTY. The hell?

19 dingers and 85 RBIs, I'm guessing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is weird: MLB approves on-field biometric monitoring devices.

quote:

Major League Baseball has approved the use of a continuous biometric monitor that can be worn by players during games.

The device, made by a company called WHOOP, is the first of its kind approved by any of the major American sports leagues to be worn during competition. Teams cannot force players to wear the device, however; players get to decide.

An MLB spokesman confirmed the deal was reached but would not comment further. Major League Baseball Players Association spokesman Greg Bouris declined to comment.

The WHOOP device is meant to be worn throughout the day and night. It can be worn on various parts of the body, and it measures sleep, recovery and strain. Thanks to the 100 megabytes of data a day that is gathered, it allows a player and a team to monitor the current state of an athlete's body heading into a game.

At the recent Major League Baseball winter meetings, WHOOP presented its findings on what was described as the most comprehensive biometric data study ever conducted by a pro sports league on athletes. A direct correlation was made between recovery and injury and hitting and pitching performance.

Use of biometric monitors, which specifically measure heart rate and track sleep, among other things, has raised privacy concerns in sports. How much of the player data can a team use? If there is something a player doesn't want the team to see, what can he or she do after agreeing to wear the device? The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which protects patients from having their medical information shared, does not currently apply to biometric data.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I dunno what's weird about that. Biometric monitoring seems to be a clear area of current sports innovation.

edit: the real Ned Colletti is now on twitter and has decided he's going to be some third-rate beat reporter

https://twitter.com/realnedcolletti/status/838794229245566977

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't know, I think it's just that if I were a member of a union that's had decades of having management try to gently caress me over at every opportunity, that's the kind of information I'd be uncomfortable with my employer having access to.

• Locked thread