Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Rirse posted:

Make a new Nintendo Account (best do this on their website), but set the location to Japan for JP eshop or United Kingdom for EU eshop. Then add a new user with that login and sign in with them on the eshop to access the other region.

Do you mind if I put this in the OP? This is very handy information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

enojy posted:

Are there any good hard cases for this thing yet? Seems like every case so far has problems.

I picked up an Insignia case from Best Buy after returning the soft carrying case I complained about earlier. It's kinda plain but feels sturdy as heck and I'm pretty sure my first 3DS case was this brand and I never had a problem. I haven't got home yet to put the Switch inside to see if there's anything stupid like a broken-glass lining.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

enojy posted:

Are there any good hard cases for this thing yet? Seems like every case so far has problems.

I just bought the Traveler from Walmart. It's not hard, but tough enough that I won't worry about it tossed into a backpack. Also comes with two plastic cases to hold game cards, seems decent.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Do you mind if I put this in the OP? This is very handy information

Yeah, probably best get it from the page I learned how to do this here.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/guide_how_to_access_the_nintendo_switch_eshop_for_multiple_regions

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

For the future, since I don't think credit carries over between accounts, Shovel Knight is $12USD in the Mexican store.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349910

Just took advantage of this. Love this region free lifestyle I can live.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Rirse posted:

Make a new Nintendo Account (best do this on their website), but set the location to Japan for JP eshop or United Kingdom for EU eshop. Then add a new user with that login and sign in with them on the eshop to access the other region.

So is everything Nintendo Account now and the Nintendo Network ID is just for old Miiverse stuff? Or is it still a mess of multiple logins?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i really like my switch.

baram. fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 5, 2017

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

enojy posted:

gently caress it I'm doing this. I don't care if I don't get the worthless 20 gold coins lol I'd rather get 60% off. I've already bought Shovel Knight twice anyway.

Edit: nevermind, apparently only the core game works for any system user, and you have to play as the Mexico-locale user to access any addon content. Weird poo poo, too lazy to fiddle with it. I'll just revert back to getting the free updates on the PS4 version.

You don't need to play with the Mexico locale user to play the addons. I'm playing the new DLC rn with my main US account.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Skeezy posted:

You don't need to play with the Mexico locale user to play the addons. I'm playing the new DLC rn with my main US account.

Oh, OK, thanks. Someone on the gaf thread said that was the case, I thought it sounded weird. I'm assuming you have to keep the Mexico user on the system indefinitely?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

When she got to the top, the old man made fun of her for climbing and not teleporting.
loving GOTY.

He'll also call you on it if you don't equip any clothes.

The Milkman posted:

Through the extremely scientific process of trying it one time, the MacBook pro's USB-C charger charges this thing much, much faster than the included one

In development Apple Switch confirmed.

W.T. Fits posted:

In completely unrelated news, Breath of the Wild is cool and good but goddamn does it suck having to constantly replace your weapons due to breakage. It took IS years to realize that it sucked and remove it from Fire Emblem, why'd Nintendo have to bring it into Zelda? :argh:

There are special weapons/shields you can get that are immune to damage

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm in a monkey's paw style situation where I can get a free Switch, but I have to track it down myself :argh:
I hope this isn't a repeat of the Wii where it's going to be impossible to find and I have to phone every store in goddamn Canada every 5 minutes to try and find one.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
This console has some rough edges but I'll feel a lot better once a screen protector is on there.

Joy Con desync? Doesn't seem to happen to me.
Can't power up with the Pro Controller? That's dumb but I guess I'm putting it in sleep mode like they intended.
Shape of power block? I guess they don't have power strips in Japan. Oh well.
Dock scratches the screen? Well, I guess that...w....what?

I can't fathom why they would allow the dock to scratch the screen. Mine has a microfiber cloth in there until this screen protector gets here.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Not sure if you have any experience with it yourself, but my card is getting bounced when trying to do a purchase. I know its not low balance or anything, so I assume the system is getting flagged by "dude not in Japan is trying to buy from Japan".

Anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing I'll have to look into points cards from Japan if I want to pick up Disgaea early.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
okay my left joycon is absolutely losing charge quicker than the right. my right goes down 1 block and the left by 2. :| wonder if this is a contributing factor to the desync stuff? havent got that yet but i wonder if i hadn't of been checking it... charges fast i guess, but still. might be picking up that pro controller with a remortgage sooner rather than later.

re: scratch issue- i think they honestly didn't expect people to be sliding the switch out by the sides or shoving them sideways into small entertainment centres but here we are, expect wii condoms by the end of the month. i got mine all set up like the switch trailer.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Conot posted:

Not sure if you have any experience with it yourself, but my card is getting bounced when trying to do a purchase. I know its not low balance or anything, so I assume the system is getting flagged by "dude not in Japan is trying to buy from Japan".

Anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing I'll have to look into points cards from Japan if I want to pick up Disgaea early.

Oh yeah, I guess you need to use the eshop codes on the stores to buy stuff. I haven't bought anything yet outside of getting some free demos. I would buy Metal Slug 3 from either the JP or EU eshop, but a lot of the places with digital codes are sold out of them right now.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Still useful for the demos, just annoying to get bounced at the last step.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can anyone recommend a decent screen protector? I know there's hori but I'm hoping for a glass one

RME
Feb 20, 2012

its not too bad to keep that nowinstock site but it seems like it mostly checks online availability
anyone have the hot tip on when brick and mortars get refreshes generally or is it The Shipping Is Just Unknowable

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just made mex account, worked fine, making a jpn account now for future fun. Dont know if theres anything I want from the jpn now.

Any jpn only gems? That arent neogeo games.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent screen protector? I know there's hori but I'm hoping for a glass one

I don't have it yet, but some article linked to on reddit said this was the best one. It's currently sold out though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sup Switch thread.

Breath of the Wild is outstanding.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have added information on how to access different regional eShops

Do we need to keep track of Friend Codes? I can edit the second post of the thread to keep them all in one place if we need to

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

Just made mex account, worked fine, making a jpn account now for future fun. Dont know if theres anything I want from the jpn now.

Any jpn only gems? That arent neogeo games.

The Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo. I'd just stick to the demo unless you can read Japanese. There's a Dragon Quest Heroes I & II demo if you want to disappoint yourself with how poorly it runs. I think that's about it for now, besides the Neo Geo games and that ridiculously lovely looking magical princess whatever game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The UK plug points the correct way to fit into my 5x2 power block. It's the opposite way round from the 3DS charger that I have to pair with a slim USB adapter plug for optimal socket usage.

Played more Zelda and Fast RMX today, they are both really good. I'm really loving how reactive the NPCs in Zelda are, they consistently have dialog that references things I am doing/have done.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

enojy posted:

The Puyo Puyo Tetris S demo. I'd just stick to the demo unless you can read Japanese. There's a Dragon Quest Heroes I & II demo if you want to disappoint yourself with how poorly it runs. I think that's about it for now, besides the Neo Geo games and that ridiculously lovely looking magical princess whatever game.

That's super disappointing to hear, I don't have it in me for more than one muso game but Hyrule Warriors hit the spot for me and I was hoping Switch would get a sequel or at least a "deluxe" edition with all the 3ds content. Hopefully a Switch-only game will be better optimized and run decently.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tender Bender posted:

That's super disappointing to hear, I don't have it in me for more than one muso game but Hyrule Warriors hit the spot for me and I was hoping Switch would get a sequel or at least a "deluxe" edition with all the 3ds content. Hopefully a Switch-only game will be better optimized and run decently.

Strange, I played the DQ Heroes demo and it was running fine for me.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Sorry to interrupt the mostly-Help Centre chat, but there's a cool video trending on the Switch's potential AR qualities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUPbSakz9M&t=231s

Just thought I'd share. Oh, and I'm personally hating the arrow keys on the left joycon, especially for weapon switching in Zelda. Usually a controller will force you to move your finger up to use esoteric buttons, rather than down. It's that the drat two-player-gameplay-out-of-the-box functionality that's making the Joycons a little less cool than Wiimote and Nunchuck.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rirse posted:

Strange, I played the DQ Heroes demo and it was running fine for me.

Oh yeah? Did you play it in portable or docked mode? I tried it in portable mode only; it took me all of 2 minutes to come to the conclusion that the frame rate sucked and uninstalled it. I figured docked mode could only be worse, but then again, I forgot the Switch supposedly underclocks for portable mode.

Tender Bender posted:

I bet Fire Emblem Warriors and the possible Hyrule Warriors port would run better, especially the former, since it's a Switch game at its core. DQ Heroes I & II is a port of a PS4 game by a third party.

enojy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 5, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

enojy posted:

Lame to hear. At least I'm set for the future eshop importing. That was surprisingly easy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

enojy posted:

Oh yeah? Did you play it in portable or docked mode? I tried it in portable mode only; it took me all of 2 minutes to come to the conclusion that the frame rate sucked and uninstalled it. I figured docked mode could only be worse, but then again, I forgot the Switch supposedly underclocks for portable mode.

I bet Fire Emblem Warriors and the possible Hyrule Warriors port would run better, especially the former, since it's a Switch game at its core. DQ Heroes I & II is a port of a PS4 game by a third party.

I played mostly in portable mode and didn't see anything too wrong with it. I just came off Hyrule Warrior Legends the other day so that might affecting how I see the port.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Played through the Snipperclips demo by myself and enjoyed it, but has anyone run through the main game in single player or does it get to the point where you have to have 2 people?

Also, I noticed I had worse joycon desync issues when I was playing 1 2 Switch and doing those big or rapid movements (ya ya, make your jokes). However, just chilling on the couch (~10.5ft) I don't have issues luckily.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just did a stage of Shovel Knight on portable using the button d-pad-- worked a lot better than I was fearing. I thought it would be nigh unusable, but the buttons are so shallow that it's just a bit awkward instead.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How you start coop in shovel knight?

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Switch buyers, have any of you had buyers remorse yet?

How hosed up of a person would I be if I didn't bother getting a screen protector for my Switch which I do not own yet because I can't find one?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MoaM posted:

Sorry to interrupt the mostly-Help Centre chat, but there's a cool video trending on the Switch's potential AR qualities:

Just thought I'd share. Oh, and I'm personally hating the arrow keys on the left joycon, especially for weapon switching in Zelda. Usually a controller will force you to move your finger up to use esoteric buttons, rather than down. It's that the drat two-player-gameplay-out-of-the-box functionality that's making the Joycons a little less cool than Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Really? I can't think of any controller where there are buttons above the left stick(other than shoulder buttons of course).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can we have a google doc in the 2nd post with friend codes

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

eonwe posted:

can we have a google doc in the 2nd post with friend codes

Hey man, I followed your harrowing journey of not having a Switch pre-order. Just wanted to say that I'm glad you found one. Also, gently caress you for finding one.

:negative:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MoaM posted:

This falls apart as soon as you consider that the Switch's screen is 720p. The screen-dooring even with high-density (e.g. "Retina" style) VR headset displays is still bad enough to make some people physically ill.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BambooEarpick posted:

Hey man, I followed your harrowing journey of not having a Switch pre-order. Just wanted to say that I'm glad you found one. Also, gently caress you for finding one.

:negative:

:3: thank you!!!!!!

you'll get one soon good luck!!!!!

if your city has amazon prime now, try that too. also toys r us and target will probably have some tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BambooEarpick posted:

Switch buyers, have any of you had buyers remorse yet?

How hosed up of a person would I be if I didn't bother getting a screen protector for my Switch which I do not own yet because I can't find one?

Nope!

I never use screen protectors for anything, especially a console I'm gonna have docked most of the time.

• Locked thread