Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Isn't a theme of the Manga obsession? The characters are seem obsessed with something and become what they are obsessed with. Saitama wants to be a great hero - and is. The monsters created from humans are the product of obsession (crab dude, shadowboxing dudes), Fubuki is consumed with her obsession and insecurities about her sister.

It's not a perfect fit but it seems to be a big theme.

I've been saying this for a while, this is a common theme in Japanese media. Egregores/thoughtforms are a common basis for Japanese fantasy. In OPM's case, it's the root for the world the characters live in. Since OPM is a parody of the traditional hero/shounen tropes, it's a good fit because Saitama takes the notion of "willpower gives you strength" and parodies it to the absurd.

American Gods - Not Japanese, but Gods exist because people believe in them. The stronger the belief, the more powerful they get. Supernatural did something like this too.

Berserk - Very similar to American Gods. God states that he exists because people needed to believe something bigger than them had to exist in order to justify the evil in the World. He is called "Idea of Evil".

Final Fantasy XIV - Gods come from people believing in them. They need Crystals to give them strength, but otherwise can be made manifest by any type of willpower. People can will themselves into being Gods, people can even fool themselves into being Gods if their willpower is strong enough. Some lady believed that she could be used as a vessel to Shiva so she became her imaginary version of Shiva. Later they explain that she was never a vessel and that she just became a "Goddess of your own creation". Much like in OPM the characters in their world are trying to understand what are the rules for people's transformations. Also much like in OPM people are constantly blindfolded by how there doesn't appear to be any sort of rule other than how much obsession you need to have.

Final Fantasy X - People's dreams can come true and become reality. The bigger the change to reality, the more people are needed to be dreaming about it.

And so on.

The concept is usually attributed to be of Buddhist origin and is used a lot in mysticism. Western mysticism over time took it on a less literary note (to the point where some writers treat magic purely as self-hypnosis). OPM is a parody of many things, and one of them is the trope that belief turns into reality.

Shiva believed that she was a vessel to a Goddess and became a Goddess. Saitama wanted, specifically, to be a guy who killed monsters with one punch. Tanktop believes his tanktop gives him inhuman strength. Genos tries to approach everything logically and with technology. He has no blind faith in something as stupid as either of them.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fellis posted:

The HELCK thread is thataway -->

God drat..they did that didn't they.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

God drat..they did that didn't they.

Oh I thought you were making a direct helck reference

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

simpsons did it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

real answer on power levels:

(that snowman cracks me up so much)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Is Saitama really a great hero tho

That giant he punched flattened a city

The meteor he punched destroyed a city

He killed Boros, but not before his ship destroyed a city - and then crashed on the remains of the city

He is a good hero. An adequate hero

The meteor at least couldn't be dealt with any other way. Also when people call him a great hero they're probably thinking more of his lack of fucks to give regarding the credit he deserved in the Sea King incident and other such things.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also from the same bonus chapter:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Last Celebration posted:

The meteor at least couldn't be dealt with any other way. Also when people call him a great hero they're probably thinking more of his lack of fucks to give regarding the credit he deserved in the Sea King incident and other such things.

Yeah great hero was two bad word. I'm not really sure what Saitama set out to be. He doesn't want to be 'great' in the sense of renown, and he doesn't even seem to have the great eye for justice that Common rider has.

He's just a dude that beats up monsters - and he is the best at that.

The character that doesn't fit is Bang. But maybe he's obsessed with his legacy?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

i played yakuza 0, if mumen rider has built up some Heat this will totally work

Wait Yakuza 0 lets you run into people with your bike.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe Bang was obsessed with being the greatest martial artist when he was younger but he's matured and moved beyond his obsession since then.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wait Yakuza 0 lets you run into people with your bike.
i can't find a gif of what you can do in Yakuza 0 so imagine a tough japanese man throwing a bike ontop of someone and then jumping ontop of the downed man and bike with all of his weight

or, have this yakuza 5 gif

what im saying is Mumen Rider needs to build up his HEAT gauge before he gets into fights

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 1, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe Bang was obsessed with being the greatest martial artist when he was younger but he's matured and moved beyond his obsession since then.

Bang's only flaw seems to be allowing Garou to become what he is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Moltrey posted:

i can't find a gif of what you can do in Yakuza 0 so imagine a tough japanese man throwing a bike ontop of someone and then jumping ontop of the downed man and bike with all of his weight

what im saying is Mumen Rider needs to build up his HEAT gauge before he gets into fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilNsur-lzrQ&t=34s

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
not even related but if we're gonna post anime tracks, Genos' theme is the Actual Best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uvXJGWm3VI

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

what im saying is Mumen Rider needs to build up his HEAT gauge before he gets into fights

kiryu is basically the saitama of japanese crime

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

Is Saitama really a great hero tho

That giant he punched flattened a city

The meteor he punched destroyed a city

He killed Boros, but not before his ship destroyed a city - and then crashed on the remains of the city

He is a good hero. An adequate hero

Don't forget there was a chapter or two after the meteor that addresses this. I can't remember what Saitama said, but it was the chapter where one of the Tank Tops was trying to run Saitama out by turning public opinion against him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

https://twitter.com/TheStrangeLog/status/809464372355538945

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

He's still kind of unfocused and drifting through life, though?

He has a hobby he enjoys (that fortunately pays the bills) but it's not like he found some greater purpose. Even his hobby is often proves unsatisfying.

well that's because he reached his goal. He obviously had focus and determination to get through his training. He hit the pinnacle and it's hard to go from there

Also saitama obviously wants some recognition for his heroics because that's the whole reason he got his hero license he just cares more about doing the right thing than being famous.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

one punch man is cool and my friend

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Elfgames posted:

well that's because he reached his goal. He obviously had focus and determination to get through his training. He hit the pinnacle and it's hard to go from there

Also saitama obviously wants some recognition for his heroics because that's the whole reason he got his hero license he just cares more about doing the right thing than being famous.

He kind of doesn't though. I mean he had the big burst of activity up front and when he thought he'd get knocked out but otherwise he hasn't been reporting his kills or apparently caring at all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

I played, uh, Yakuza 3 or 4? The one that was free on PS Plus.

But I couldn't really get into the story and I spent myself wandering around a lot, and I hated the chase scenes because I couldn't be arsed to run away properly.

I was sorta looking forward to playing something like Kenka Banchou, but I don't think open world games are for me. Couldn't finish Saints Row IV either.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
But dang, that poo poo seems neat.

I remember someone posting a video of a mod of Yakuza 5 or something where the playable character was changed into a chick.

That was neat.

Too bad mods don't work on PS4.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

He kind of doesn't though. I mean he had the big burst of activity up front and when he thought he'd get knocked out but otherwise he hasn't been reporting his kills or apparently caring at all.

well they did stick him with the caped baldy name, that's gotta suck the wind from the sails

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

I played, uh, Yakuza 3 or 4? The one that was free on PS Plus.

But I couldn't really get into the story and I spent myself wandering around a lot, and I hated the chase scenes because I couldn't be arsed to run away properly.

I was sorta looking forward to playing something like Kenka Banchou, but I don't think open world games are for me. Couldn't finish Saints Row IV either.

yakuza definitely isn't for everyone, it mostly depends on whether you love or hate the sheer concentrated Dumb Japanese poo poo in it

also wandering around is half the fun, the games have a ridiculous amount of content

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think my issue was mainly having to walk around so much just to get into a fight, because I wanted to punch and kick people.

I was also unwilling to spend money because I remember gathering it feeling like such an ordeal.

Admittedly my memory is hazy.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I think my issue was mainly having to walk around so much just to get into a fight, because I wanted to punch and kick people.

I was also unwilling to spend money because I remember gathering it feeling like such an ordeal.

Admittedly my memory is hazy.

If the money thing was one of your problems, you might want to check out Yakuza 0. You literally get tens of thousands of yen with every punch you throw. It takes place in 1988 during a bubble economy and absurd amounts of money flowing through the streets like flood waters is part of the plot/setting. I'm currently walking around with 2.22 billion USD.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmmm, that sounds a lot nicer than the game I played. I guess I'll give the game a look on YouTube and see if I want to add it to my backlog of growing games once it goes on sale.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's impossible to go 40 meters without getting in 30 fights in Yakuza 3, 4 and 5. I've not played 0, sadly, and can't remember the PS2 days but yeah, it's not hard to get in a scrap generally.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So Garou's still getting kicked around by Watchdogman right? The watch dog never sleeps

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

lowercase16 posted:

If the money thing was one of your problems, you might want to check out Yakuza 0. You literally get tens of thousands of yen with every punch you throw. It takes place in 1988 during a bubble economy and absurd amounts of money flowing through the streets like flood waters is part of the plot/setting. I'm currently walking around with 2.22 billion USD.

Have they changed their mind on the whole "no playable female characters ever" thing yet? Or does that still exist solely in the realm of PC mod fuckery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

7c Nickel posted:

Have they changed their mind on the whole "no playable female characters ever" thing yet? Or does that still exist solely in the realm of PC mod fuckery?

Oh right this is the mod I was talking about, I think. Bitchin'.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

7c Nickel posted:

Haruka is playable in Yakuza 5.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Begemot posted:

Haruka is playable in Yakuza 5.

Isn't that just for Idol side missions? If you're not transforming street toughs into responsible citizens with the heel of your boot, it doesn't really count.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All those moves make me really wish they made a Def Jam sequel for the PS4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

Isn't that just for Idol side missions? If you're not transforming street toughs into responsible citizens with the heel of your boot, it doesn't really count.

Technically, but her part of the game is as fully fleshed out as anyone who isn't Kiryu. It's not like you swap over to her to just dance and go back to boys to play story or whatever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

7c Nickel posted:

I mean, you are doing that, but you do it through DANCE BATTLES instead of regular street fights.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Speaking of watchdog man I hope the reason Garou stops fighting with him is the realization that he's a dog who who wanted to be a hero so bad he became a human hero. And the reason he's not involved with other fights is his owner wants him home cause s/he is worried about him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Speaking of watchdog man I hope the reason Garou stops fighting with him is the realization that he's a dog who who wanted to be a hero so bad he became a human hero. And the reason he's not involved with other fights is his owner wants him home cause s/he is worried about him.

Sorry, Garou has no heart or patience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garou would easily stoop to putting a dog in a furnace just to get back at someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He would take it to the furnace
Then but it ice cream while gloating all the time about how much of a monster he is