Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've been able to melt some ice by just building a campfire right next to it, but I'm not sure if there is a limit on how big the ice can be. It's also real real slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

teacup posted:

Hey quick questions but don't want big spoilers

I'm a bit in, just got the paraglider- I did a big media blackout on this and loving it so much.

1. Do you ever get more space to hold weapons

2. Can you eventually craft weapons and ammo

3. Are there big sprawling dungeons like in old games or just these mini ones I'm seeing?

All I can answer is #1 (which is a yes, you can get more weapon slots, bow slots and shield slots).

Would be interesting to know about #3 because I loved the old dungeon style in Ocarina of Time.

Pollyanna posted:

Getting real sick of constantly getting one-shot by enemies. Considering doing stealth from this point on cause even with two-level defense buffs, +1 equips and the most button mashy of different attempts, I still get one-shot by moblins. I really don't like the combat in this game.

I dunno where you are to be getting one-shot by Goblins. What armour are you even using? I wore the basic Hylian armour set and managed to defend against all Goblins in the South-Eastern regions (basically the starting zone). Just follow the main quests, they point you in the right direction. +9 armour was enough to only make me lose half a heart if I get smacked by the big blue boss Goblins.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

teacup posted:

Hey quick questions but don't want big spoilers

I'm a bit in, just got the paraglider- I did a big media blackout on this and loving it so much.

1. Do you ever get more space to hold weapons

2. Can you eventually craft weapons and ammo

3. Are there big sprawling dungeons like in old games or just these mini ones I'm seeing?

1. yes

2. no, but you can do upgrades

3. yes huge dungeons

The shrines are the mini ones and there are literally over a hundred of them. The big dungeons on the other hand, there's only a handful, but they're much much more involved.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just got minorly spoiled about something, I won't say exactly what it is but :siren: buy the house :siren: -- it kicks off one of the longest and most rewarding sidequests in the game :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hedrigall posted:

I just got minorly spoiled about something, I won't say exactly what it is but :siren: buy the house :siren: -- it kicks off one of the longest and most rewarding sidequests in the game :stare:

How much is it, and where?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Buy the house he says, as if we've all got 3000 rupees tucked away! It's in the village where the Tech Lab is, I believe. Look around, you'll find it, near the demo houses.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

How much is it, and where?

3000 Rupees and 30 bundles of wood (which you can get pretty easily out of the forest down the hill).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also as much as this game is pretty open and unforgiving and challenging in some ways, guys, if you're having trouble, go collect some faeries. You don't need bottles to catch faeries. They work just like OOT and if you die, they posthumously bring you back to life automatically. I have like 5 faeries on me right now, no big deal :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Also as much as this game is pretty open and unforgiving and challenging in some ways, guys, if you're having trouble, go collect some faeries. You don't need bottles to catch faeries. They work just like OOT and if you die, they posthumously bring you back to life automatically. I have like 5 faeries on me right now, no big deal :v:

Do fairies respawn? I had 2 on me and I kept dying to stupid poo poo and getting revived, so I'd save scum to actually keep my fairies for when I need them. I wish dying gave a prompt "do you wish to use fairies" so you could choose whether it's worth wasting them on a loving Goblin.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Loopoo posted:

Do fairies respawn? I had 2 on me and I kept dying to stupid poo poo and getting revived, so I'd save scum to actually keep my fairies for when I need them. I wish dying gave a prompt "do you wish to use fairies" so you could choose whether it's worth wasting them on a loving Goblin.

Of course. Sneak around a Great Fairy Fountain and grab a few.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Loopoo posted:

I dunno where you are to be getting one-shot by Goblins. What armour are you even using? I wore the basic Hylian armour set and managed to defend against all Goblins in the South-Eastern regions (basically the starting zone). Just follow the main quests, they point you in the right direction. +9 armour was enough to only make me lose half a heart if I get smacked by the big blue boss Goblins.

Main quests sent me to the top right which wants me to go get a blue flame guarded by blue Moblins. Trying to fight them ends predictably. I've got hylian trousers, the blue shirt, and that climbing bandanna, which apparently isn't much. I should invest in better gear I guess but idk where to get it besides buy it. Also weapons always seem to be in short supply.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Loopoo posted:

All I can answer is #1 (which is a yes, you can get more weapon slots, bow slots and shield slots).

Would be interesting to know about #3 because I loved the old dungeon style in Ocarina of Time.

There are dungeons, but if the one I just did is any indication, they're a completely different style from any of the classic zelda dungeons. There was not a single small key to be found

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Zaphod42 posted:

I've put around 15 hours into this game already and I haven't found a single Great Fairy Fountain. Which one is the easiest to find and get to?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Main quests sent me to the top right which wants me to go get a blue flame guarded by blue Moblins. Trying to fight them ends predictably. I've got hylian trousers, the blue shirt, and that climbing bandanna, which apparently isn't much. I should invest in better gear I guess but idk where to get it besides buy it. Also weapons always seem to be in short supply.

I've got no idea how far you are into the main quest since the quest gives you 4 separate locations to go to. I started with the Zoras and it hasn't been too difficult. But having the Hylian poo poo at this point in the game is embarrassing. Make food, sell it, and buy better armour. It will save your rear end. Also try and find a Great Fairy so you can upgrade this gear.

I'm regularly fighting those lizard fucks and goblins with 150 health, and I manage them just fine.

spasticColon posted:

I've put around 15 hours into this game already and I haven't found a single Great Fairy Fountain. Which one is the easiest to find and get to?

Literally talking to people points you in the right direction. I dunno how people are missing these obvious clues. I did poo poo tonnes of exploring and shrine completing, but then when I buckled down and followed the main quest, it pretty much held my hand to all these awesome locations. The artist in Kakariko village will help you find it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spasticColon posted:

Kakariko Village, right up past the Shrine. Follow the path, can't miss it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, what main quest? If you're in the top right area of the game you should have WAAAAY better armor than hylian trousers and blue shirt, holy poo poo. No wonder you're getting one-shot.

Dude, go somewhere else.

Loopoo posted:

I dunno how people are missing these obvious clues.

Goons love to skip cutscenes and spam B to ignore dialogue and then bitch the game is too hard and doesn't explain key features :iiam:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

spasticColon posted:

There's one 20 feet from the shrine in Kakariko.

Also each one there is, there's a painter guy in the town nearby who tells you about them and gives you clues to help find them :doh:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, what main quest? If you're in the top right area of the game you should have WAAAAY better armor than hylian trousers and blue shirt, holy poo poo. No wonder you're getting one-shot.

Dude, go somewhere else.

The Divine quest gives you 4 locations to go to. I always just assumed they'd want me to start with the closest point to Kakariko village. People heading off to like the upper left of the map make me scratch my head in confusion. No poo poo you're gonna get 1 shot if you're a solid 15 minute ride away from the starting area.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loopoo posted:

The Divine quest gives you 4 locations to go to. I always just assumed they'd want me to start with the closest point to Kakariko village. People heading off to like the upper left of the map make me scratch my head in confusion. No poo poo you're gonna get 1 shot if you're a solid 15 minute ride away from the starting area.

Yeah, its real obvious the easiest of the 4 locations is the Zora, which is right next to Kakariko. The next easiest is Garudo. The other two are CONSIDERABLY harder.

You're free to do them in whatever order you want and I love that, dark souls open world style. But like, if its too hard, surely try something else?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Princeps32 posted:

Far enough in to the meat of the game that I am comfortable in putting this in my top 5 games of the last decade or so. Maybe that'll change with time, but I've been really shocked at how this game has engulfed me, in a way I haven't felt since probably Witcher 3? I think there are some real things to fault, and no it is not a "perfect game" whatever the hell that means. If you don't like open world games it's still an open world game, there is a (seriously small and situational) amount of framerate chugging, the voice acting is middling, and yeah you have to get used to your weapons breaking a lot as part of the game's system for keeping you invested in loot so you don't get bored of finding things.

but

I'm so impressed by how they've balanced the mechanics so you're never really lacking anything if you play smart, and yet you're always hunting for bigger advantages so you have the incentive to go off the beaten path to look for things, and you're always being shown something new, big or small. you're pretty rarely "farming" for stuff if you just take the time to pick things up as you run past. the game world is beautiful and compelling, and there's real variety and detail to it. and the combat is really well done and varied, and the puzzles inside the shrines are clever, and are you getting bored of this mountain well let's paraglide over a deep chasm to that other one and then there's a weird little magnet puzzle on the side of this desolate cliff, oh hey an adorable leaf sprite popped out and gave you a seed that you should get to that fat leaf sprite with the maracas, but he went to a location you haven't been yet? whatever better snowboard down on your cheapest shield into a moblin camp under you, then set off a sweet midair headshot on the archer in the tower before laying waste with a pitchfork you ripped out of one of their cold dead hands, oh nice five fire arrows in the reward chest you were down to your last one those're always useful, oh you're really close to that shrine you pinged ages ago and forgot about, wait where were you going originally, oh right that village that's way the hell off to the east, but maybe you should go to bed because its loving 4 am?

Very cool review, and I agree. And thank you for mentioning that midair headshot, that jogged my memory to having seen something cool in one of the trailers, I completely forgot about the slow-mo midair bow aiming until you said that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love how it incentivizes exploring the environment for anything noteworthy by making the potential reward anything from an opal to a Kokri seed to a shrine. I just found a shrine behind some non-descript explodable rocks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a question to go to the other lab via the first main lab quest which I interpreted as "'hey go to the other lab thanks' - main quest" so maybe I'm just loving stupid.

I'm fast approaching at least 50 deaths already so it wouldn't be that strange. I wanna see some hilarious death compilations from this game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

How did you get rid of the ice around the tower near the stable? I'm assuming fire arrows but I didn't have any and didn't try it. I used bomb arrows but it didn't do anything. Couldn't climb over the ice either.

Use that water thing you have to try melting the ice? Cryosis or whatever it's called.

Heavy Metal posted:

Very cool review, and I agree. And thank you for mentioning that midair headshot, that jogged my memory to having seen something cool in one of the trailers, I completely forgot about the slow-mo midair bow aiming until you said that.

Most badass shot I ever pulled off was in a shrine. Basically the way up was barred by this big rotating wall. I had to get propelled up by a platform that shot me into the sky, take aim at a crystal (which activated the structure to roll it into a new position) and then paraglide to the opening I just made. It was loving awesome. I should incorporate slow-mo shots more in my fights.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK on Puffer Beach there's this lady holding on to an ancient orb right next to the obvious slot it goes in. How do I get her to let go of it? Anybody figured that out?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

I love how it incentivizes exploring the environment for anything noteworthy by making the potential reward anything from an opal to a Kokri seed to a shrine. I just found a shrine behind some non-descript explodable rocks.

I love bumbling into koroks in the enviornment. Half the time I don't even think its going to be something, I just end up playing around for a lark, and then bam, that was actually a puzzle and I did it right!

Pollyanna posted:

I got a question to go to the other lab via the first main lab quest which I interpreted as "'hey go to the other lab thanks' - main quest" so maybe I'm just loving stupid.

I'm fast approaching at least 50 deaths already so it wouldn't be that strange. I wanna see some hilarious death compilations from this game.

Ah, that's A "main quest" but there's like 3 main quests that run in parallel, sounds like you've been burning on that one quest so far its pushing you into higher level areas. Maybe check out the OTHER main quests :)

You should have Free the Divine Beasts, which will lead into Reach Zora's Domain and Forbidden City Entry and other shenanigans more appropriate to earlier in the game.

It is kinda confusing that there's multiple parallel main quests that you can do in whatever order you want, but that's how it is. A "main quest" is part of the story, while "Side Quests" are totally optional and involve other characters and not the main plot.

If you want you can also head to Hyrule Castle right now, but obviously you'll just get one-shot by everything. There are some nice treasures though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 5, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Loopoo posted:

Use that water thing you have to try melting the ice? Cryosis or whatever it's called.

Most badass shot I ever pulled off was in a shrine. Basically the way up was barred by this big rotating wall. I had to get propelled up by a platform that shot me into the sky, take aim at a crystal (which activated the structure to roll it into a new position) and then paraglide to the opening I just made. It was loving awesome. I should incorporate slow-mo shots more in my fights.

Cryosis only works on Rune-made Ice Like the ice blocks when fighting Vas Ruta's defenses and the Phantom Ganon inside.

Also, I learned something about the Master Sword; You can't cheat that health drain with Rested/Bonus Hearts, they won't even show up onscreen. Stupid clever game :argh:.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I really need a death counter at the end of this game. I died like three times trying to get down from the very first tower on the plateau cause I was super lazy to actually climb and since then it's just increased exponentially.

I also cannot believe how good the checkpointing is, for me it's always been exactly right where I wanted to be

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I also recommend doing the karikiko zone then the Zora zone. The reward from the guardian there is really good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah I really need a death counter at the end of this game. I died like three times trying to get down from the very first tower on the plateau cause I was super lazy to actually climb and since then it's just increased exponentially.

I also cannot believe how good the checkpointing is, for me it's always been exactly right where I wanted to be

I got screwed on checkpoints a few times and now I'm quicksaving every 5 minutes out of paranoia.

Although keeping a few faeries on hand helps calm the nerves.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Triple defense buff from food is way strong. I wish I remembered how I made a triple defense that lasted 8 minutes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

I got screwed on checkpoints a few times and now I'm quicksaving every 5 minutes out of paranoia.

Oh really? That's a shame, it's always been perfectly right before any encounter I died in.

I just got my hands on some faeries and I feel I'll probably regret having them when I die to some dumb poo poo I was trying to do and use up them rather than in a fight or whatever

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Triple defense buff from food is way strong. I wish I remembered how I made a triple defense that lasted 8 minutes.

Yeah blightwater went from one shoting me to half hearting me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This labyrinth island is some bullshit. Good loot, but bullshit.

Edit: Hah, after you clear it, go down the hot air path for a FUN SURPRISE.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I swear to god it's random. I once put in a single armorshroom and it gave me double defense and I could never get that to happen again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Oh really? That's a shame, it's always been perfectly right before any encounter I died in.

I just got my hands on some faeries and I feel I'll probably regret having them when I die to some dumb poo poo I was trying to do and use up them rather than in a fight or whatever

Yeah it does feel real dumb to waste faeries to stupid poo poo, but if you were gonna die and it saves you then its not really a waste, and faeries are honestly pretty easy to come by. This is pretty much like OOT where if you want to, you can just warp and go grab 5 faeries almost at any time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Infinity Gaia posted:

You know what this game needs? Soapstones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I saw that on the map and I was like OH SNAP.

There's also an island where you can only use the loot you get on the island. When you land, your equipment is taken away, and you're in your shorts agian.

Pollyanna posted:

I swear to god it's random. I once put in a single armorshroom and it gave me double defense and I could never get that to happen again.

Yeah, there is a random chance to grant slightly better buffs than usual, I've noticed it. I think the song that plays is slightly different when it happens too? I cooked up a 3x resistance once from the same recipe that made 2x resistance food many other times.

Pollyanna posted:

And bloodstains :unsmigghh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pollyanna posted:

The death of the Mii verse is the worst. Imagine this game with Wind Waker bottles :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bought the Wii U version. Game owns. I was really surprised the first time I found a korok, too--are they always hiding near little mini-puzzles?

I don't know why but this game's world really is a blast to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zaphod42 posted:

My only disappointing death was after I went hunting and shot like 12 deer and some other animals, harvesting tons of meat, then went mining and got some rubies. I also took some photos of a few birds I didn't have in my encyclopedia yet. Then a Lizalfos killed me. I spawned back before I had done the hunting/mining/photographing, and lost all that progress >:|