Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If this zelda (lol) game is too tough or you are looking for direction, this in progress walkthrough looks OK.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-walkthrough/great-plateau/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This is the best game I've ever played

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The game really didn't want me getting the hat in this chest

For those curious this island I'm on has two hats, a barbarian skull helm that raises attack stats and a silver tiara that raises guardian defense. It also has a bunch of bomb rear end swords

Can someone point me in the direction of Korok Forest? I wanna expand my slots.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Directly north of Hyrule Castle proper.

If the maracas guy told you he was on the way to korok, he actually stops at the stables between kakoriko and korok first. Then later he moves to actual korok.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The game really didn't want me getting the hat in this chest

For those curious this island I'm on has two hats, a barbarian skull helm that raises attack stats and a silver tiara that raises guardian defense. It also has a bunch of bomb rear end swords

North of the castle like Zaphod42 said, but you can get there by leaving Kakariko and going from small mountain to small mountain in a north-west direction.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is the torch the only weapon that doesn't break eventually from being on fire? And if so is there anywhere with guaranteed torches?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Whenever I finish the game I look forward to seeing how many ways people are breaking it. I've taken advantage of a few exploits here and there but I wanna see the crazy stuff, like getting up on that airship with the magnetism or something. As smooth as it is, it seems very prone to OoT-level exploitation.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Figuring out how to scale the cliffs to reach Akkala Tower and then actually figure out how to climb up the tower proper is one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a video game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Also I don't know how guarded Nintendo are about their internal stuff but I'd love to know the story behind what happened between this and Skyward Sword. Feels like it was inspired by the same sense of creative freedom that Link's Awakening was.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Suffer not the Wizzrobe to live

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

Also I don't know how guarded Nintendo are about their internal stuff but I'd love to know the story behind what happened between this and Skyward Sword. Feels like it was inspired by the same sense of creative freedom that Link's Awakening was.

They turned Legend of Zelda over to their newer staff to see what kind of game they'd make :ms:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Figuring out how to scale the cliffs to reach Akkala Tower and then actually figure out how to climb up the tower proper is one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in a video game.

Absolutely.

Also just wanna say all the reviews talking about how great and awesome and frequent the autosave feature is are liars. I've easily lost 10-15+ minute's work multiple times after dying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ignimbrite posted:

Suffer not the Wizzrobe to live

gently caress wizzrobes. I would go on a wizzrobe slaughter except fighting them is so extremely unfun and isn't even very rewarding.

Best strategy I've found is to toss a boomerang at them, which knocks them to the ground, and then beat the crap out of them. Everything else is just frustrating.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

snoremac posted:

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-looked-l-1792868700

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

My only disappointing death was after I went hunting and shot like 12 deer and some other animals, harvesting tons of meat, then went mining and got some rubies. I also took some photos of a few birds I didn't have in my encyclopedia yet. Then a Lizalfos killed me. I spawned back before I had done the hunting/mining/photographing, and lost all that progress >:|

If this happens again and you've got an enemy who you know is gonna kill you, quick save. That way, you keep all the poo poo you worked hard for, and when you die, it'll just respawn you and then you can quick travel in that lull where the enemy is kinda not attacking you. Or just quick travel off the bat. I've fast travelled a few times mid-battle and it always makes me laugh cause I can just imagine Link giving a "gently caress you" gesture as he dissolves into particles.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TFRazorsaw posted:

so like, regarding lore

It feels somewhat strange that since their introduction in Ocarina of Time, they held fast to the whole "the Sheikah are either nearly extinct or in hiding and the only one you ever see" to... well... the entire population of Kakariko Village BEING Sheikah and dressing and being referred unamabiguously as such and showing their day to day lives, and on top of that there are more living throughout Hyrule.
From a loooong way back here, but for timeline nerds, we were told in OOT that Kakariko was a Sheikah village that Impa'd let other people move into because it was empty.

Calaveron posted:

Sure there's Faron and Lost Woods and Kakariko but now there's Mikau Lake and Lulu Lake and Sahasrala Meadow and Linebeck Island and so on and so forth
Goponga Swamp made me extra super happy.

Except for the camp with the giant fish skeleton. Jabu-Jabu? Noooo!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress wizzrobes. I would go on a wizzrobe slaughter except fighting them is so extremely unfun and isn't even very rewarding.

Best strategy I've found is to toss a boomerang at them, which knocks them to the ground, and then beat the crap out of them. Everything else is just frustrating.

Did you know that if you hit a fire/ice wizzrobe with ice/fire it's an instakill? True story.

This means that lightning wizzrobes are OP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Did you know that if you hit a fire/ice wizzrobe with ice/fire it's an instakill? True story.

This means that lightning wizzrobes are OP.

Yeah and I feel like 90% of them are lightning, the fuckers. Is Water the opposite of Lightning or something? Not that I have water orbs or water arrows...

And its usually when you're in the middle of a loving lake so the lightning gets super amplified. :argh:

If you hurt enemies in death mountain with ice, they die instantly too. Very fun :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I keep the Wizzrobe weapons cause they seem OP, but I don't ever use them. I just wanna sell them but you can't sell weapons, unfortunately. I figured they'd fetch a high price. I might just blow the electric wand I have on the Ruta Divine thing to kill the boss quickly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only way I did the tower in the middle of the lake with 3 lightning Wizzrobes and a bunch of lizards is that I died and spawned right at the bottom of the tower and no-one saw me

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Ice Arrows, my droog. Or any arrows, they knock them down too. Ice arrows let you get in and get a guaranteed hit (potentiall for more? I can't tell if smacking something that's frozen makes it do more damage than just a regular whack).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loopoo posted:

I keep the Wizzrobe weapons cause they seem OP, but I don't ever use them. I just wanna sell them but you can't sell weapons, unfortunately. I figured they'd fetch a high price. I might just blow the electric wand I have on the Ruta Divine thing to kill the boss quickly

They're interesting because they get lumped in with weapons but they're not really very good as weapons, more as traditional zelda style tools / magic abilities. I like the leaf that makes wind, the boomerang, the megaton hammer, the magic orbs, and others, although holding a bunch of gimmick tools while you're also trying to carry a bunch of high level weapons is pretty tough. I need more korok seeds so I can expand my inventory to massive levels.

The orbs are crazy powerful when used in conjunction with a normal sword, though. Stun the poo poo out of a ton of enemies and hurt them all, then run in and finish them off.

Ignimbrite posted:

Ice Arrows, my droog. Or any arrows, they knock them down too. Ice arrows let you get in and get a guaranteed hit (potentiall for more? I can't tell if smacking something that's frozen makes it do more damage than just a regular whack).

Yeah but that doesn't work when the fuckers are floating over water that is so deep you have to swim in it

Like I know, that's what I did, but they can be real bastards sometimes

Ice arrows in this game are REALLY strong in general. The freeze lasts so long its an effective form of CC. If you run into 4 enemies, you can freeze 2, fight the other 2, and then you have plenty of time before the 2 unfreeze and gang up on you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yo, how can I stop the personal aim when I'm shooting my bow and arrow at a targeted enemy? I want it to be like how it was in OoT, where if you're locked onto an enemy, Link automatically aims at the enemy. I really hate when it pops me out of lock and I gotta try and indelicately aim at this super enraged enemy that's charging towards me.

Also, a thought that just popped into my head: if I go somewhere safe and drop a bunch of my weapons, do they persist or do they get despawned after a while? Cause that might be handy to store weapons I don't really use but like.

I'm pretty drat sad cause my iron warhammer finally broke, I basically had it from the start of the game and I've got no idea where to find another one. Blowing rocks up sucks cause it shoots the stuff away. I miss my trusty hammer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loopoo posted:

Yo, how can I stop the personal aim when I'm shooting my bow and arrow at a targeted enemy? I want it to be like how it was in OoT, where if you're locked onto an enemy, Link automatically aims at the enemy. I really hate when it pops me out of lock and I gotta try and indelicately aim at this super enraged enemy that's charging towards me.

Turn off gyro controls and don't touch the right stick :shrug:

You do way more damage aiming for headshots than just plinking arrows at lockon though. It rewards you for aiming.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Despera posted:

If this zelda (lol) game is too tough or you are looking for direction, this in progress walkthrough looks OK.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-walkthrough/great-plateau/

Was just about to ask what the best guide was thanks

Exploring and cooking are cool and all but I'm old and don't always have time to figure poo poo out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Loopoo posted:

I'm pretty drat sad cause my iron warhammer finally broke, I basically had it from the start of the game and I've got no idea where to find another one. Blowing rocks up sucks cause it shoots the stuff away. I miss my trusty hammer.

Iron warhammers spawn around the world in a few places, don't worry :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gently caress am I getting a blood moon at 6am for

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Are the various precious stones used for anything besides selling for quick cash?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Are the various precious stones used for anything besides selling for quick cash?

I read somewhere that later in the game you use them to craft earrings that can give you defenses against certain element types (ice / electric / fire etc.) and I know in the description of one ore it says that it's used to upgrade certain chest pieces.

I've basically kept on to everything and won't sell it until I know for a fact I don't need it. Nothing worse than bumping into someone that offers you a useful thing but it turns out you don't have that one item cause you sold it. I hate that cause then you gotta go on a wild goose chase trying to find the item which always seems to elude you.

For money, I just do sidequests (they give rupees sometimes) or mass-cook easy food and sell it all for dosh. Was cranking out tonnes of 2-apple dishes that sell for alright, and there's like a 20% chance you make an upgraded version that gives more hearts and sells for like 400 rupees. Apples are all over the place so it's reliable to make money on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Harrow posted:

Bought the Wii U version. Game owns. I was really surprised the first time I found a korok, too--are they always hiding near little mini-puzzles?

I don't know why but this game's world really is a blast to explore.

Hell yeah! The game gets better and better, always another exciting area to check out. I'm loving this glorious game I must say, they nailed it!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just for laughs I decided to raid the castle with just 3 hearts. Funny thing about Calamity Ganon: He is way easier than anything I fought before him simply because his attacks didn't one-shot me. I got sloppy and died on the 4th phase, realized I didn't want to beat the game yet and left.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big dumb idiot and bought the game for Wii U even though I'm definitely buying a Switch (and inevitably the game) some time in the future when I've got some more money and can actually get my hands on one. :downs:

I've tried looking for details on version differences but every website just states the same couple of pre-launch things. Does the framerate dip as badly in the Switch version as the Wii U version (some places like the stable have dipped into the 10's)? I like playing off-TV, but the Wii U gamepad is kinda.. blurry? Not very crisp anyway. Does the game look crisper on the Switch (again, off-TV)?

Gotta say though, framerate issues aside I'm blown away by this game. All the little details, the ridiculous degree of freedom, the physics, the gorgeous graphics (even if they're a little blurry for me). I just met a dog and fed him a drumstick. Now he likes me :shittydog:

e: also the Koroks really remind me of the Secret Seashells from Link's Awakening. All the dumb little things you do to get them :3:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Farron Tower is a dick :mad:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot and bought the game for Wii U even though I'm definitely buying a Switch (and inevitably the game) some time in the future when I've got some more money and can actually get my hands on one. :downs:

I've tried looking for details on version differences but every website just states the same couple of pre-launch things. Does the framerate dip as badly in the Switch version as the Wii U version (some places like the stable have dipped into the 10's)? I like playing off-TV, but the Wii U gamepad is kinda.. blurry? Not very crisp anyway. Does the game look crisper on the Switch (again, off-TV)?

Gotta say though, framerate issues aside I'm blown away by this game. All the little details, the ridiculous degree of freedom, the physics, the gorgeous graphics (even if they're a little blurry for me). I just met a dog and fed him a drumstick. Now he likes me :shittydog:

e: also the Koroks really remind me of the Secret Seashells from Link's Awakening. All the dumb little things you do to get them :3:

You goofed up, but it's salvageable. Just keep the disc in pristine condition. Play it, enjoy it, then when you get your Switch + the Switch version of the game, sell the Wii U disc on Amazon. You'd get close to full price for it. It'd basically be equivalent of the good old Blockbuster days when you could rent a game for a few bucks for the weekend. Except this way you get to play it for a week or two before getting next to full price back.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Your Computer posted:

At first I thought they were just gonna be in hard-to-reach areas and there were only maybe 30 or so in the whole game. Turns out you can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least two spots where they're hiding.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The guide says there are 900 Korok seeds, which, gently caress.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Not even 10 mins in to the game and I broke gravity

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Escobarbarian posted:

The guide says there are 900 Korok seeds, which, gently caress.

To be entirely fair though, you don't really NEED 900 Korok seeds, your inventory will feel fine at much less than that. Unless there's some sort of cosmetic reward for catching them all, in which case gently caress.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Questions for the thing in Korok Forest how many hearts do I need to get the master sword? I thought it was a secret test of courage but nope that thing killed my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Questions for the thing in Korok Forest how many hearts do I need to get the master sword? I thought it was a secret test of courage but nope that thing killed my rear end.

13 real hearts