Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Seed requirements scale, though I can't tell if it's exponential or linear. One new slot costs 1 seed, after that it's 2 seeds. I dunno whether it goes to 3 seeds or jumps straight to 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I really hope they put out another patch for the WiiU version because even after manually setting the WiiU to display 720p I'm still getting a lot of framerate dips especially in towns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

13 real hearts

That's actually stupid. Way to punish people who want a decent stamina gauge. Ughh.

Also what's up with amiibo? I scanned in a few day 1 trying to get the costume pieces and now it's 2 days later and telling me "try again tomorrow" still. It's kinda getting annoying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Loopoo posted:

Seed requirements scale, though I can't tell if it's exponential or linear. One new slot costs 1 seed, after that it's 2 seeds. I dunno whether it goes to 3 seeds or jumps straight to 4.

It goes to 3 then 5. Not sure after that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guys guys guys! I found my first key!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I loved that shrine.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress wizzrobes. I would go on a wizzrobe slaughter except fighting them is so extremely unfun and isn't even very rewarding.

Best strategy I've found is to toss a boomerang at them, which knocks them to the ground, and then beat the crap out of them. Everything else is just frustrating.

If you shoot them in the face with a regular 'ol arrow (which is really easy because they have long windups on attack and super long aggro animation when they first see you) they fall down and then get stunned for like 5 seconds. After you combo them, they'll get up and do their little invisibility prance and you can just shoot them in the face again as soon as they come out of it. Two arrows is a fair trade for completely neutering those lil shits.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah wizzrobes aren't bad at all cuz arrow

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spasticColon posted:

I really hope they put out another patch for the WiiU version because even after manually setting the WiiU to display 720p I'm still getting a lot of framerate dips especially in towns.

Does manually setting the display to 720p improve framerate? So far my only complaint is how low the framerate will dip (probably ~10fps in spots which is ridiculous in 2017), even within the first hour of gameplay. I really hope it's something that can be patched because everything else is so gorgeous.

Loopoo posted:

You goofed up, but it's salvageable. Just keep the disc in pristine condition. Play it, enjoy it, then when you get your Switch + the Switch version of the game, sell the Wii U disc on Amazon. You'd get close to full price for it. It'd basically be equivalent of the good old Blockbuster days when you could rent a game for a few bucks for the weekend. Except this way you get to play it for a week or two before getting next to full price back.

Yeah, that's not a bad plan. Although, even in the worst case of buying the game twice at full price I can at least still consider it a "donation" to Nintendo for making an amazing game :shittydog:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Your Computer posted:

Does manually setting the display to 720p improve framerate? So far my only complaint is how low the framerate will dip (probably ~10fps in spots which is ridiculous in 2017), even within the first hour of gameplay. I really hope it's something that can be patched because everything else is so gorgeous.

It seemed to help somewhat on the WiiU version of the game I don't know about the Switch version. But I still get framerate drops into the teens when there's a lot of poo poo happening on screen or when I'm in a town.

Edit: What I think happened is that both the WiiU and Switch versions of the game were rushed out the door to meet the launch deadline for the Switch. From what I've been reading and watching online quite a few people are thinking the Switch itself was rushed to release.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 5, 2017

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I love the little things in this game.

Like when you teleport to Kakariko or Hateno, you don't just teleport there. You teleport to a shrine above the town (or the lab in Hateno) and hang glide into town. I look forward to it every time :3:

hellll yeah its so sick

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's actually stupid. Way to punish people who want a decent stamina gauge. Ughh.

Also what's up with amiibo? I scanned in a few day 1 trying to get the costume pieces and now it's 2 days later and telling me "try again tomorrow" still. It's kinda getting annoying.

You really only need two, maybe three Stamina upgrades to get around most of the world from as much as I've seen of it, which is about half of it. Maybe. I've at least hit the major population centers for the Zora and Gerudo regions. Oh god, Hyrule's so big :stonklol:.

You can also respec your Health/Stamina "points" at a Shrine in Hateno Village for 20 Rupees per swap.

edit: Okay, where is the Secret Gerudo Club in Gerudo Town? I got the password, just don't know where it actually is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zas posted:

hellll yeah its so sick

another upswing of this is it's actually faster to go a specific place, too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You really only need two, maybe three Stamina upgrades to get around most of the world from as much as I've seen of it, which is about half of it. Maybe. I've at least hit the major population centers for the Zora and Gerudo regions. Oh god, Hyrule's so big :stonklol:.

You can also respec your Health/Stamina "points" at a Shrine in Hateno Village for 20 Rupees per swap.

edit: Okay, where is the Secret Gerudo Club in Gerudo Town? I got the password, just don't know where it actually is.

Its in the back of the clothes shoo. Go down the alley and its a door on the building

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'm barely any way through the game (12 shrines down, no dungeons) and I'm worried because I've already registered four horses and they all have their own story, like Siegfried who I picked up after I climbed a mountain and found a plain (leaving my other horse Louey at the bottom), and then we went round challenging all the moblins on the mountain to a joust :black101:

Also the only improvement that can be made to this game is to have a cooking menu, rather than having to hold items in your inventory, then leave the screen and cook them, then go back to cook more stuff. With that, this could be really good purely as a survival game and I think you'd see some great gimmick runs.

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 5, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only have one horse, Butz, and he's a jerk. How long does it take for horses to not be jerks? It seems like the trick to soothing is to wait for them to throw a tantrum and then soothe after they're done.. but I've done it a bunch and he still just does whatever he wants.

Not sure if I'll ever use a horse though, they can't even climb mountains or paraglide :colbert:

e: question; is there a way to quickly cook several of the same recipe? I know I can throw in more ingredients to heal more hearts, but right now I have a ton of food that heals for more health than I have. Is there a way to cook, say, 1 apple at a time faster?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 5, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

I'm barely any way through the game (12 shrines down, no dungeons) and I'm worried because I've already registered four horses and they all have their own story, like Siegfried who I picked up after I climbed a mountain and found a plain (leaving my other horse Louey at the bottom), and then we went round challenging all the moblins on the mountain to a joust :black101:

Also the only improvement that can be made to this game is to have a cooking menu, rather than having to hold items in your inventory, then leave the screen and cook them, then go back to cook more stuff. With that, this could be really good purely as a survival game and I think you'd see some great gimmick runs.

Yeah if you could sit at the campfires and just bulk-cook food it'd be ideal.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*squint suspiciously*

This loving game :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't wear a horse as a hat, jivjov :colbert:.

Derp; Smash Link gives you a horse. I got a cool hat (Specifically a proper floppy green one) from the OoT Link amiibo.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I just want to say gently caress Eventide Island. I was running to turn in the last ball when a lightning storm rolled in and instagibbed me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I just want to say gently caress Eventide Island. I was running to turn in the last ball when a lightning storm rolled in and instagibbed me.
I found a way to cheat here if you're interested, when you're still on the raft, carefully move some dropped items onto the island (can use magnesis, bombs, or just careful positioning). They'll still be sitting there after the voice finishes taking your stuff. Just make sure to drop them again before you put in the last sphere and your inventory gets cleared again.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
I love this game, but gently caress the Mirro Shaz shrine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Your Computer posted:

I only have one horse, Butz, and he's a jerk. How long does it take for horses to not be jerks? It seems like the trick to soothing is to wait for them to throw a tantrum and then soothe after they're done.. but I've done it a bunch and he still just does whatever he wants.

Sure you already know but have you given Butz apples?

Your Computer posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot and bought the game for Wii U even though I'm definitely buying a Switch (and inevitably the game) some time in the future when I've got some more money and can actually get my hands on one. :downs:

Everything I've read and seeing makes it seem that the Wii-u version is hardly much worse, and more than feasible. Switch just mostly has FPS benefits

Too bad Nintendo has poo poo storage management and no way to save to a cloud or something. Would be interesting if they let you transfer progress to the switch to promote sales, idk just making poo poo up

The Wii-u supposedly was gonna have a nice inventory management system via tablet but they didn't want it to have a benefit over the switch :mad:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Once you're geared up, Guardians are chumps. The mobile ones, you can break off their legs and knock them over to the side.

Another note about Guardians the master sword will glow blue, powering it up to 60 attack when a guardian is near by. It also takes a much longer time for it to run out of energy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How do I activate the Shrine near Gerudo Tower? Tried arching arrows down at it when the shadow passed over the Shrine's site, tried lobbing arrows at the sun from the Tower. What am I missing? Shooting the sun from the Shrine's site?

edit: Figured it out; Stand on the pedestal, wait until the sun's over Gerudo Tower and fire an arrow at it. I did it with a Fire Arrow, dunno if that's a specific requirement.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sand Seals? Sealiously?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Man, I've explored all around the desert and played for 15 hours but I still have no idea what any other area looks like. I'm going to be playing this for the rest of my life

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How do I activate the Shrine near Gerudo Tower? Tried arching arrows down at it when the shadow passed over the Shrine's site, tried lobbing arrows at the sun from the Tower. What am I missing? Shooting the sun from the Shrine's site?

edit: Figured it out; Stand on the pedestal, wait until the sun's over Gerudo Tower and fire an arrow at it. I did it with a Fire Arrow, dunno if that's a specific requirement.

It can be a normal arrow

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I only have one horse, Butz, and he's a jerk. How long does it take for horses to not be jerks? It seems like the trick to soothing is to wait for them to throw a tantrum and then soothe after they're done.. but I've done it a bunch and he still just does whatever he wants

Horses with a wild temperament will always remain slightly jerky. I've got two horses that I love to bits, but they're both wild, and every now and then they'll do something dumb even though we're at max bond. I guess it's the trade-off for having a horse with much better stats. loving getting a docile horse with poo poo stats, I ain't no pansy.

I wish horses had a much longer call radius. Honestly, I love riding, but it gets in the way of adventuring. One minute you'll be riding, the next you'll wanna scale a mountain to reach a shrine, then from the mountain you see two other shrines within easy distance of your glider. I never go back to my horse and ride to the shrines, cause it means I gotta scale yet another mountain. It's more fun and easier to just glide.

But then before I know it, I'm inevitably half the map away from my horse. Please, Nintendo. Why did you add this silly thing. Let me call my horse from anywhere, drat it. Stables won't become useless, you can still use them to tame horses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Feeding the dog made total sense to me (and it worked!) but the horse? Never crossed my mind! Thanks for the tip :3:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Everything I've read and seeing makes it seem that the Wii-u version is hardly much worse, and more than feasible. Switch just mostly has FPS benefits
I haven't seen anyone confirm this, does the Switch actually have a better framerate? If the Switch lets you walk around towns with more than 10fps then I won't feel bad for buying the game twice. That's worth it :v:

Being able to transfer the save between versions would also be amazing, but honestly... with this game I don't think I'll mind. Not only is the game huge and incredibly open, but just running around and climbing stuff is fun enough that I probably won't get much progress done anyway before getting the other version!

Loopoo posted:

But then before I know it, I'm inevitably half the map away from my horse. Please, Nintendo. Why did you add this silly thing. Let me call my horse from anywhere, drat it. Stables won't become useless, you can still use them to tame horses.

Thanks for the horse tips! I've been wondering, what does happen if you leave your horse to climb a mountain and then fly off somewhere? Does the horse stay in that spot? Go back to the stable? Do you lose it forever?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Active Horses stay where you leave them. Once you switch horses they disappear until called and you can call any of your horses including your current one to a stable immediately.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hi what does the orb you get from the blue hinox do. sorry if this was probably asked before

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

How about swift carrots?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol I STILL can't get the chest in that early shrine that has fans to teach you how to use the paraglider

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh sweet loving Jesus Christ, there are Guardians that can fly. Why are there Guardians that can fly?! :stonk:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally met some more people and gosh.. the character designs in this game are adorable :kimchi: The art style in this game is just amazing.

e: I'm a huge weeb and wish we could change the voices though. It's not horrible, but it's certainly not good either. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's never gonna happen though.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I slapped my wolf link amiibo on the game pad and he was summoned with 20 hearts. What the hell? From what I understand, his heart containers are somehow tied to your progress in Twilight Princess HD...which I have very little progress in (didn't even start water temple) because I realized I had no desire to replay it.

Is it somehow tied to my original Wii progress? Is that data even on my Wii U? Is it tied to my account? Does Nintendo even know how to link such things? Or is it simply a glitch?

It sounds like a glitch. You should try again today and if he comes with twenty hearts again figure out wtf you did so the rest of us can have super dog buddies.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I didn't preorder a switch and I don't have a Wii U... After skimming through this thread Im sitting at a target at 5:30 in the morning hoping to snag a switch when they open (supposedly they will have some when they open)

I'm dumb- Zelda is my favorite franchise, why didn't I preorder? ._.

Game sounds really fun!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I mounted the "crown of bones" and shot it up after for the meat!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Armor makes a big difference. Remember to use the fairy outside Kokoriko to make your armor permanently better. Buying the armor set in the town with the lab then upgrading it brings you to 21 defense. I'm still getting one shot by certain enemies, but it reduces most attacks to half a heart or less. I really need to get better at seeing what weapon enemies are carrying, though.

Also anyone else getting really disappointed every time they go into a shrine and find "only" a weapon in a chest? Even if it's something awesome, you know it will just be used up after a few monsters.

Loopoo posted:

I think it's Fibonacci, actually, which means requirements go up fast. On a positive note, the three different slot types are independent, so even if you have to find a zillion seeds for the next weapon slot, it still only costs one for bow/shield.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 5, 2017