Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A 60k difference in income is huge when you consider being able to set up an emergency fund or afford more reliable things. Given how expensive medical care can get in the US people of considerable means can still effectively be one paycheck away from destitution.

And I always thought talking about income was taboo in the US. I was certainly raised not to ask people that question, as it was considered too personal. I didn't even know how much money my parents made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

And I always thought talking about income was taboo in the US. I was certainly raised not to ask people that question, as it was considered too personal. I didn't even know how much money my parents made.

it tends to be. and there's a reason for it. hmm, I wonder who would benefit from keeping workers from comparing notes on compensation, hmmmmmm.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Panfilo posted:

It's this weird dichotomy where income is super important in our culture but you're not allowed to discuss it. Even among family it's considered to be taboo to discuss it. Unless someone dies, then it's a free for all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I am getting married in 3 weeks and plan to run away and skip the wedding, which will make me rich.

I am kind of a professional troll/anarchist. I like to cause some chaos in real life through pranks, making people uncomfortable, and related. I was a big force in getting Trump elected, and enjoy trolling feminists, fat activist, and other liberals online since they react the funniest.

A few months ago I was at a local bar filming some pranks for my youtube channel and saw this pretty gross 1/10 girl. So I decide to troll her by asking her out. Well she of course said yes since I'm pretty awesome and good looking, and for the next few weeks I took her out on a serious of expensive fancy dates and bought her gifts. For Valentine's Day she kept dropping hints about needing a new car, and I did just that - bought the idiot a car. I've of course been filming everything on hidden cameras - from the first surf and turf dinner to last weekend, when she and I flew to Las Vegas for 2 days.

I finally proposed to her and filmed her reaction and it's admittedly not as hilarious as I thought. But anyway, she suggested a small ceremony, just the 2 of us at the courthouse. Which is good with me - it really sped up the whole process. I'm going to secretly film the whole thing and holy poo poo, the payoff to this is going to make me rich.

1000 youtube views equal about 100 dollars in ad revenue a month. I fully expect this to hit 1 million viewers, so that's 100,000 dollars right there. That'll pay off the credit card debt for this prank after just one month, and it's pure profit after the next month. All for tricking some moron female.

I'm not sure this plan is quite foolproof

just sayin I dunno if the numbers are all there

picturing this anon cackling and rubbing his hands together as he goes to his youngest daughter's high school graduation because the long con is playing out perfectly and those saps on Youtube will eat this footage right up

just smelling that sweet Internet money rolling in as he posts photos of his 50th anniversary dinner to Instagram

quote:

I love getting blackout drunk and submitting to this thread. I guess that AA is alright for some people. For me it felt too much like church; which conflicted with the only thing I hate more than being an alcoholic, which is hearing other people praise god. My childhood was a constant bounce between being raped by a family member, beaten by my mother, or abandoned to raise my siblings (which I did poorly). I begged god over and over again to make it better but it didn't happen. As a result I don't believe in god and I hate the very idea of him and if I suddenly found myself dead (one can hope) and in front of the bastard I would spit on him and attack with everything in my power.

Of course I don't expect that to happen but I'd still rather cut off my own loving head than go listen to a bunch of sad sack loving drunks blather on about how Jesus saved them.m

I've never been to AA, I dunno if they're all like that, but if I were you I'd talk to someone in charge about what your options are if the meetings are too Jesusy to resonate with you. I'm also not knowledgeable enough to know whether therapy could help you quit but it's probably a good idea regardless based on the rest of your stuff.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
No hate but saying 'therapy' as the end all solution to problems is just not true.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sjs00 posted:

No hate but saying 'therapy' as the end all solution to problems is just not true.

Of course it's not an end all solution to problems, but it's a step toward healing for a lot of mental issues notably including "past trauma" which it sounds like that guy had out the wazoo

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

how much does therapy cost anyway, it can't be cheap/feasible for most people to just book a slew of sessions

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

loquacius posted:

Re: YouTube goon

"1000 youtube views equal about 100 dollars in ad revenue a month. I fully expect this to hit 1 million viewers, so that's 100,000 dollars right there."

Nope, not even close to the actual amount you'd make on 1,000 views. It's more like like $10 per 1,000 at the high end, but it all depends on whether you can get your viewers to click on ads. There is no set formula for views to dollars. If you get a million views and no one clicks on your ads, you get nothing. No one gets $100 per 1,000 views. A simple Google search explains it all.

Nice try, YouTube goon, but you're a fake, and thank god for that.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
The 'I got Trump elected, now back to my YouTube prank channel' wasn't enough?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

loquacius posted:

wedding goon

Hate to break it to you pal, but Youtube payouts are like 1/100 of what you think they are :lol:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Does nobody else see the humor in the fact that his evil plan was to live a fulfilling life with his long-term girlfriend

like, he found a nice girl, romanced her, gave her nice things, went on fun trips, and is now going to commit to her for life in a small, intimate ceremony, lol owned

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

loquacius posted:

Does nobody else see the humor in the fact that his evil plan was to live a fulfilling life with his long-term girlfriend

like, he found a nice girl, romanced her, gave her nice things, went on fun trips, and is now going to commit to her for life in a small, intimate ceremony, lol owned

quote:

I am getting married in 3 weeks and plan to run away and skip the wedding, which will make me rich

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

VanSandman posted:

'Italians' and 'those who mock autism' were the only two good jokes in there, anon writer.

There's a bit in a Bridget Jones movie where, in an effort to look uber-tolerant, her mum makes a banner welcoming all kinds of deviants, including Italians. I hope this confessor didn't steal material from fking Bridget Jones' Baby

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

loquacius posted:

someone didnt eat his shreddedd wheat today haha

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

how did I miss that detail :downs:

quote:

I know this sounds more like EN but anyway. Let me preface with the obligatory "I love my GF but..."

My girlfriend of several years has gained at least 10-15kg since we started dating and wasn't slim to begin with. She is not fat, but she is definitely not slim either. Normally that would not be a problem, but it is the reason that annoys me to no end: She is just plain lazy.

Last time we talked about weight in the context of her mom's diabetes, she said herself she should probably do some sports to reduce her risk of also getting it later in life (we are in our 30ies right now.) We both have sedentary office jobs, so we need exercise to balance that. On top of that her hobbies are mostly reading a ton and watching TV which is perfectly fine, but no exercise).
I asked her to go running with me, offered we could buy her a bike (hers was stolen 4 years ago and she never bothered to buy a new one) and go do bike tours, I do all the cooking and keep that fresh and healthy (without obsessing over it like calory counting).

Long story short: She did not buy a bike (money is not an issue), said she would go swimming regularly as she just hates running (OK fair enough) but she only goes once a week for an hour, and not really regularly. I go running 2-3 times a week and her idea was to go swimming when I go running. Not happening.
I even started a "diet" under the pretense of wanting to lose some weight myself, as I want to get down to 80 from 85kg at 6"2' simply because that is a good weight for me and helps with running. She agreed to participate because "it can't hurt". I step on the scales every day and already lost 2.5 kgs, completely in line with the schedule. She did not even bother to get on the scales to establish a baseline, so who knows what she weighs.

Thing is: This all makes me (irrationally?) angry. I hate that she refuses any kind of help I try to subtly give her and I find I am not attracted to her physically any more while I still love her as a person, which is very difficult. While I think she should loose about 10 kgs (or 20 but 10 would be a start), that's not even it, it is her lazyness and missing motivation to do anything about it that makes her unattractive to me. We have the time and money, she could go to a gym or anything just do SOMETHING. Whenever she asks for dessert or a joghurt or some fruit on top of an already ample meal I cringe inside.

I guess my confession is I am boiling inside and way too close to telling her all this bluntly and ask her to "woman up" and get poo poo done, but at the same time I know her insecurities and that would only set her off in the wrong direction, and I really don't want to hurt her, much less lose her. And I am poo poo at being diplomatic once I am annoyed enough, which is the case here. I literally want to spend the rest of my life with her but I dread the direction this is going, because given enough years of this she'll end up fat.

quote:

I go to the zoo 2-3 times a month to make fun of this dumbshit snake that lives there. He's got these goofy rear end cross eyes and when I tap on the glass, he'll strike at it like an idiot and end up just scaring himself. I've been asked to leave a few times but they don't remember me so I can come back whenever.

I do not hate all snakes but this one reminds me a lot of my uncle, probably because they are both named Ron and both have crosseyes. I kind of wish somebody had locked Ron up like this snake because maybe then a lot of bad stuff wouldn't have happened.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I find that second one hard to believe just because snakes seem like one of the least responsive animals there are when it comes to tapping on the glass.

At least he's providing a fairly steady stream of money to the zoo assuming it is true.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think Ron the snake confession is very real

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

First confessor is in a pickle bread pudding prison. Too lazy and fat to be attractive and seemingly too insecure to discuss improving themselves. Have you suggested therapy, couples or individually, in any context? Her insecurities may be an issue with getting out and exercising in public and/or it may be influenced by her being depressed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How the hell can a snake have crossed eyes? They're on the sides of their heads.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Or she is just lazy. One thing I will tell you is that you can't make someone else want to start exercising. If this is a deal breaker, then you should tell her now and start looking to draw down the relationship.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Solice Kirsk posted:

How the hell can a snake have crossed eyes? They're on the sides of their heads.

Actually, Solice has a point. His eyes probably go in two DIFFERENT directions away from one another, which is ((at least in Oklahoma/colloquially)) called "walleyed", not "crosseyed". Crosseyed is when eyeballs go in different directions toward one another, if I'm remembering right. That's probably pretty hard for snakes to do.

There's your morning fun fact. :allears:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 5, 2017

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The writer suggests locking Uncle Ron up before he has done the terrible things and I'm not comfortable with that. The snake isn't in prison anyway. I'm in a hospice bed and can't get up to reach for my thesaurus or I'd expand upon my reply more thoroughly. Ron doesn't deserve a sanctuary; Ron is a free man; Ron is a reptile and walleyed if Freakbox's reply is reliable testimony. Free Ron. I'm with Ron. Be with Ro

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Snake one seems real cause who would make up a story about taunting snakes

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Probably the brother of the "lust for monkey death" guy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

:ocelot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Lazy gf goon sounds like he has far more serious problems because he is incapable of having a discussion with her. Just seething in anger instead of communicating is either going to blow up and end your relationship or leave you miserable and resentful. So how about you stop being a passive aggressive pussy and talk to her about something that is apparently a big problem for you?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Paging that komodo guy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'll post for him:

Just suck it up and stay in the relationship. There's no fairy tale endings and no one can be happy forever. Grab that lumpy girl of yours and make the best of the poo poo lot that you drew.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The weight isn't the problem! It's the fact that she isn't trying to solve this non-problem which irritates the writer so much. He really does love her but by God can't she just go swimming without him more often?

Hang in there. You'll find a way through this maelstrom.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Honestly I think coming right out and telling her she needs to start losing weight is the best option. I had a girlfriend tell me that once when I put on 20lbs, and yeah, it hurts your feelings but at the end of the day you know where you stand and it's either lose weight and keep your significant other or lose them. If subtlety isn't working then it's time to just tell her how you feel.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly I think coming right out and telling her she needs to start losing weight is the best option. I had a girlfriend tell me that once when I put on 20lbs, and yeah, it hurts your feelings but at the end of the day you know where you stand and it's either lose weight and keep your significant other or lose them. If subtlety isn't working then it's time to just tell her how you feel.

Yeah, that's definitely a conversation the genders can have both ways yes sir.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I like the bit where they write "She's not fat" which precedes the paragraphs of how they tried to coerce the girl into doing things she really doesn't want to do and trying to secretly put her on a diet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think if you come out and flat out say "you're getting too fat, please lose weight" it's never going to end well. You have to be a little more subtle about it and make exercise and healthy eating something you can do together, where it's clear what you want without insulting/hurting them.

If that doesn't work, probably nothing will.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
haha she probably smells really bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Actually honey every pants make you look fat

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Be honest with her. Tell her about your insecurities and mental health issues.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You gotta be ok with fat gf or tell her not to fat, you candy rear end

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
start calling her oinker

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Fat girlfriend goon, fatties are gonna be fat. Nothing you can do. Time to man up and :sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As pretty much everyone has said (with varying degrees of judgment baked in), communication is necessary here because boiling over with resentment is your alternative and that won't fix anything. Tell her what you told us. It's not that you think she's fat and disgusting, it's that you find it unattractive that she is too lazy to be a grown-up and work out twice a week under any circumstances. Do not mention her gaining weight; do not say she needs to lose weight; use words like "healthy lifestyle" a lot. Add that it's easier for you to stick to your routine if she's doing it along with you (which it probably would be).