Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Icedude posted:

Why didn't I pre-order a Switch? :negative:

Between watching streams and listening to the soundtrack, this game looks so good to the point I caved in and ordered a Switch and I have no idea how long I'll have to wait until it gets delivered. Holy gently caress the Hyrule Castle music is so good.

Is the floating island you can see in the background in some trailers and screenshots actually A Thing? I cant seem to find anything about it other than pre-launch speculation.

Oh it is a thing. A very important, main thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh it is a thing. A very important, main thing.

That's cool, I guess I won't ask further then to avoid spoilers. I was worried it was going to be gated behind the Season Pass or something

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Got to Eventide island. Ragequit cause it's loving difficult. I basically broke all 9 weapons I had cause they were lovely spears or branches against that fat fucker of a Hinox. I rolled two boulders down a hill to try and crush his fat rear end but I missed both. Then I went and aced every god drat dodge, giving myself flurry blows, but my weapons would break before I even completed them. I got him down to half HP before I got zapped by lightning and just gave up. I was fighting him for like 10 mins and my weapons did barely any damage.

Dunno if I'll go back there just yet.

Sidenote, where's the Sheikah tower for the zone South-East of the stables? The one that is near the ocean. I couldn't find one anywhere, and I was standing on a huge mountain.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Before I had the game, reading the reviews had me worried, because of how glowing they were. I've seen several float the idea that this could be the best Zelda game, and perhaps even the best game, period. I was excited enough, but now I'm starting to get expectations that I can't imagine can be met.

I've been playing the game all day Friday and this weekend. (I delayed taking my car to get an oil change a few weeks so that I'd have my Switch to play at the shop this weekend.) It's a great game, no doubt, but I couldn't say how great. Then last night, right before bed, I took on Labyrinth Island. That experience now has me thinking that what the reviews are saying could be possible. I had been playing the game enough where I thought I knew what I could expect... and then I found my expectations changed, and I realized that this just keeps happening. I keep having experiences new not only to Zelda games, but any kind of game.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I beat that ice dragon . Quest complete. Totally worth it, super cool "boss" fight, and the only thing taking you there were narrative hints and one shrine quest. Also skipped like 90% of the tough rear end ice enemies leading up to it by eating a bunch of cold resist food, slapping on my climbing gear, and just scaling the mountain to get to it.

GOTY.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is it worth getting for the wii u or do I need a switch?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Is it worth getting for the wii u or do I need a switch?

Literally the only difference is resolution. 720p on the Wii U, 900p on the Switch. Everything else is the same, right down to the framerate drops. Same environment detail, same draw distance, all of that.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just entered Vah Ruta. I am stoked for my first dungeon!

I had the big centaur guy down to 1/4 health before he spotted me and pushed my poo poo in so i had to sneak around during that segment. I'll be back, you bastard.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK so there is no main Wii U thread, so I'll just ask here. If I want a system to play some fun easy-ish games with my wife, is $200 for a 32gb, screen controller, pro controller, Mario U, and Zelda Wind Waker worth it? I was thinking about grabbing Breath of the Wild for Wii U as well, of course.

I never finished Wind Waker way back when I had a Gamecube, so it would all be new content for me.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

ShaneB posted:

OK so there is no main Wii U thread, so I'll just ask here. If I want a system to play some fun easy-ish games with my wife, is $200 for a 32gb, screen controller, pro controller, Mario U, and Zelda Wind Waker worth it? I was thinking about grabbing Breath of the Wild for Wii U as well, of course.

That's probably a good deal. I bought one used similarly on a whim and it's going to justify itself with Mario Maker and Zelda, even before my 2yo discovered ordering me to play Yoshi

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like a good deal to me

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ShaneB posted:

I never finished Wind Waker way back when I had a Gamecube, so it would all be new content for me.

Yeah that sounds good. There's a good 10 to 15 games on the wii u and if you want to spend the time messing with vWii you can turn it into an emulator machine for older systems (snes, genesis, nes that sort of stuff)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Probably, unless you're super into Ocarina of Time-style dungeons, in which case probably not.

I'm one of those people who are super into Ocarina of Time-style dungeons and I was super skeptical of this game based on the pre-release footage.

But uh... holy poo poo this game. I'm a dozen hours in (basically spent the entire day playing) and so far it's mindblowing. For how much the gameplay differs from previous Zelda games, it definitely feels like a Zelda game. The graphics are gorgeous, the character designs are amazing and there are just so many small details that make it great. All the characters I've met so far have been wonderful too, very unique and very charming (including stuff like random villagers and shopkeepers).

Speaking of details, someone on the dev team clearly loves dogs. I caught one having a sneezing fit and it melted my heart. Big oversight that you can't pet 'em though :shittydog: :petdog:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Not sure if I should put all my orbs into heart containers to get the Master Sword fast or just keep putting into both equally

You can re-roll your allocation of spirit tokens by going to a particular shrine, so you could go all out on hearts and then after you get the sword, swap some to stamina.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Wii U had a lot of really fantastic games on it, it was a great thing. But it looks like all those games are making their way to the Switch and the hardware is so much sleeker, the games are non-transferable as far as we know. It might be more worth it to get a Switch at this point.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i am getting utterly slaughtered by this lion centaur man

game's cool

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Moltrey posted:

game's cool

Lynels don't mess around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game is still so loving good I can't handle it. I haven't been this sucked into and in love with a game since I played the first Dark Souls for the very first time.

This is just too drat good. Nintendo finally completely delivered on all hopes and dreams and expectations. This is the OOT killer. This is the best Zelda ever conceived.

Moltrey posted:

game's cool

If its the first Lyon you find in Zora, you're not supposed to fight him. Discretion is the better part of valor!

Either way good luck.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I bought my Wii u when Mario Kart 8 launched and my wife and I still play it often. Other games we've played and enjoyed: New Super Mario U, Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, and Pushmo. It's a great console for video game times with ones wife. Mario Kart 8 though man, you need it as much as BotW. MK8 has given us so many fun nights, especially with friends over. Four racers around the big TV is a supreme experience.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

havenwaters posted:

Diamonds are very rare. Sapphires and Rubies are probably a little bit more rare than the others but I'm not sure. Diamonds you don't want to sell for reasons

gently caress :( is that a critical thing or just convenience/as crafting mats?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Zaphod42 posted:

If its the first Lyon you find in Zora, you're not supposed to fight him. Discretion is the better part of valor!
No, he is an abomination and needs to die. :black101:

I may have had to use all my best healing items, several weapons and a bunch of fairies, but that jerk went down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Yes. Also make sure you get Mario Kart and Splatoon and Super Mario 3D Land. And Pikmin 3 isn't bad either.

The only reason to buy a switch right now is portability or future-proofing. There's only 2 games on switch worth playing. But eventually all the good WiiU games will be on Switch, so eventually if you get a WiiU it won't get any new games. If you're cool with that loving DO IT.

I got zelda on WiiU and am planning on getting a Switch when Splatoon 2 comes out, like, September. Long time from now really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

No, he is an abomination and needs to die. :black101:

I may have had to use all my best healing items, several weapons and a bunch of fairies, but that jerk went down.

Very nice dude. I was tempted to, I gave him a couple tries, but he kept wrecking me and I felt bad about wasting all my food trying so I just snuck past instead and kept all my food stores intact.

Gonna have to go wreck that guy soon.... but for now I've got bigger fish to fry :)

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
That Sheikah stealth suit is like 1800 rupees total. I want it, but I only have 780.

Money-making recommendations? I'm told mining for precious gems is good but not sure about good places for that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

oddium posted:

hi what does the orb you get from the blue hinox do. sorry if this was probably asked before

If you are where I think you are, that is one third of a key to open a shrine. That area has 3 Hinoxes of different colors and in between them all are 3 holes for orbs, kill each one and take their orb to a small plateau to place in a hole, if it doesn't turn blue, you put it in the wrong hole.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inverness posted:

That Sheikah stealth suit is like 1800 rupees total. I want it, but I only have 780.

Money-making recommendations? I'm told mining for precious gems is good but not sure about good places for that.

I was able to easily afford the stealth suit just by fighting most of the dudes I ran into and then selling the bokoblin horns and poo poo. I don't craft many elixirs, I dunno about you. Maybe a rare one here and there.

Get a horse, ride around on your horse looking for animals, monsters, and ore. If you see ore (chunks of off-color rock) use your bomb to mine them for things you can sell (keep the diamonds though). If you find an ox or a bull or something hunt it with arrows and you get lots of prime meat; cool that up and it sells for 50-100 rupees easy, good foods sell for lots. If you find monsters, kill them and sell their junk, obviously.

I had to buy the set piecemeal, but it wasn't bad. 780 should be enough for one already. When I arrived in kakariko I bought one, then I did a couple quests and warped back and bought another, etc. Just make sure you loot EVERYTHING that drops, like most RPGs, and sell everything you aren't gonna use.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Buildings/horse stables sometimes have posters inside that show you recipes.

I also enjoy the breaking glass noise when you cook up a disaster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Relax Or DIE posted:

Buildings/horse stables sometimes have posters inside that show you recipes.

I also enjoy the breaking glass noise when you cook up a disaster.

I also like that it blurs out whatever it is as if it were too disgusting to look at.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Either way good luck.
Oh geez, nah this is just one I found while exploring around the Mount Lanayru area, hanging out in a grove, but this fella is single handedly the strongest dude in any Zelda game.

Like gently caress Darknuts, gently caress Dark Link from Zelda 2, this fool is a nightmare

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, I have it on good faith that lizard and frog are perfectly good cooking ingredients. :downs:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress :( is that a critical thing or just convenience/as crafting mats?

It's Guardian defense armor mainly. Think a couple other uses too and some armor that require diamonds to upgrade them.

It's not something that is 100% required but it will sure help out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

Oh geez, nah this is just one I found while exploring around the Mount Lanayru area, hanging out in a grove, but this fella is single handedly the strongest dude in any Zelda game.

Like gently caress Darknuts, gently caress Dark Link from Zelda 2, this fool is a nightmare

Yeah, this easily one of the hardest Zeldas, up there among 1 and 2.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Is there a respawnable Zora spear? I remember picking one up near the bridge of hylia and in a shrine but drat if I didn't break them before I knew I'd need them to repair poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

havenwaters posted:

It's Guardian defense armor mainly. Think a couple other uses too and some armor that require diamonds to upgrade them.

It's not something that is 100% required but it will sure help out.

Okay, cool. Annoying, but I can always find more, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah the Lyon and some of the Combat Shrine Guardians are pretty friggin rough, like approaching a dark souls or nioh boss that can kill you in one hit, and takes a long time to whittle down.

Thing is since this is zelda, you can always pause and scarf food to heal like in Skyrim, and you can bring faeries with you for extra lives. But still, if he's that hard, usually I figure that means I'm not ready yet. My RPG stats are already going up a ton versus what they were yesterday, my armor is all +2 now and my weapons are all up to 20-40 attack with one I'm saving that's higher, and lots of enemies that were killing me before are a fair fight now. So I think I just gotta keep going before I'm ready for the Lyon or those Combat Trials. Like I could do them now and they'be like dark souls hard, try to never get hit, or I could just wait until I have 30 hearts and then it'll be easy :)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zaphod42 posted:

He gives a good shield, sword, and bow.

Fight him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dosvidanya posted:

Is there a respawnable Zora spear? I remember picking one up near the bridge of hylia and in a shrine but drat if I didn't break them before I knew I'd need them to repair poo poo

There should be. If there isn't, I hear there's a guy in Hatano village who will sell you anything unique that you've aquired and then somehow lost or broken, so Nintendo at least thought of that. But I don't think those are unique? Well, not sure actually.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mulva posted:

He gives a good shield, sword, and bow.

Fight him.

How are you supposed to avoid his attacks? Shock arrows are cheap as poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pollyanna posted:

How are you supposed to avoid his attacks? Shock arrows are cheap as poo poo.

My strategy was to have a 40 shield and stand in front of his loving face and make him brutally regret the day he ever saw me.

Your mileage may vary.

Really though I had 1 level upgrade armors, a 3 armor up meal, and then I just beat the poo poo out of him. The shield kept his attacks from knocking me over mostly, and if he did the fire ball thing I used the updraft to drop some arrows in his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love how you can actually do things that are way above your level just by being clever. I just beat a combat trial shrine, and it took literally all my weapons from full to broken to kill the thing. I think my highest damage weapon going in was ~12. The weapon I got from the monster? 45 damage :getin:

Now if only that weapon would last for more than 2 enemies. It breaks my heart every time I get a badass weapon because I know it'll break so fast :negative:

e: that reminds me, is there any way to see a weapon's durability other than hitting things with it and getting the "about to break" message?