Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I realize this probably won't have any universe-hopping, but I was really curious back during the Spider-Verse event/story as to where all the Venoms were, because surely there's a few Parkers who kept theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm currently spending a week in Orlando. I can't deal with this news right now. I don't have room left for this happiness!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Edge of Venomverse is a stupid-as-hell name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I'm currently spending a week in Orlando. I can't deal with this news right now. I don't have room left for this happiness!

Don't worry Gavok, I'm sure Dan Slott is writing it.

E: Exclusive preview art of the book:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 3, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
C...Cosmo? :ohdear:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know why, but Jan being worried she and Amora would show up wearing the same shows makes me laugh.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

I realize this probably won't have any universe-hopping, but I was really curious back during the Spider-Verse event/story as to where all the Venoms were, because surely there's a few Parkers who kept theirs.

That drove me nuts. Maybe all the ones that kept the symbiote didn't turn out well. I would have thought at least one would have kept a cloth version of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

That drove me nuts. Maybe all the ones that kept the symbiote didn't turn out well. I would have thought at least one would have kept a cloth version of it.

they had assassin spider-man and superior spider-man so I doubt they cared much about how nice anyone was

it probably just didn't occur to slott or whoever wrote that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

There was definitely one guy wearing the black cloth suit in one of the short backups. He and regular Pete had an exchange where they compared notes and wondered what differentiated their lives (black cloth suit had a wedding ring).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

There was definitely one guy wearing the black cloth suit in one of the short backups. He and regular Pete had an exchange where they compared notes and wondered what differentiated their lives (black cloth suit had a wedding ring).

Actually I believe that the red-and-blue suited Spidey who turned out to have the wedding ring (and was obviously intended to be RYV Spidey). :spergin:

But honestly, Spider-Verse was overstuffed as it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually I believe that the red-and-blue suited Spidey who turned out to have the wedding ring (and was obviously intended to be RYV Spidey). :spergin:

I dunno about that, did RYV even exist at that point?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

I dunno about that, did RYV even exist at that point?

At the end of the story it said we'd see more of one of the two Spidey's later that summer, and I think that issue came out around the time they were announcing all the secret wars tie-ins.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

At the end of the story it said we'd see more of one of the two Spidey's later that summer, and I think that issue came out around the time they were announcing all the secret wars tie-ins.

Gotcha, I popped open the Spider-verse HC and they did drop that banner in there on the last page of that story. And it was Red & blue Spidey with the ring.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 4, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The best thing about married spider-man bs is that dc brought back married, older Superman and people seem to love it. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

The best thing about married spider-man bs is that dc brought back married, older Superman and people seem to love it. :allears:

And RYV #1 sold like gangbusters WITHOUT an overship.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I can't respect a spider man who doesnt have a smoking hot wife. With great power comes A. great responsibility and B. a great wife.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm sure there was a throwaway line in Spider-Verse about how the Inheritors couldn't eat totems with symbiotes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is RYV still doing well?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pureauthor posted:

Is RYV still doing well?
It's too soon to really see long-term trends, but it dropped off hard from the first issue (which is the standard) but looks like it's finding its level fairly quickly?

#1 - 99,064 (6th overall in unit sales)
#2 - 43,128 (50th)
#3 - 41,167 (55th)

Sales figures and ranks for February (past the top 10) aren't going to be out for another week or two but assuming it has another comparatively small drop it can probably be considered a success. *But*, is that level of success for a SPIDER-MAN book going to be "good enough" is an open question, Marvel seemed content for ages to have one "A" Spider-Man book and then a whole raft of lower-selling side Spider-Man books, but with the advent of BRAND NEW DAY almost a decade ago they seemed pretty wary of having those around for whatever reason, brand dilution or whatever.

They might feel like a Spider-Man book should sell better, though at this point they've been running Miles Morales Spider-Man and Spider-Man/Deadpool for over a year. It should be said that both of those books sell (with issue numbering well into the double-digits) significantly better than RNW after three issues. On the other hand Spider-Man 2099 has been chugging along at much lower sales, as are/were Spider-Family titles like Silk, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Gwen.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Every time I see a new issue of 2099 has come out, I feel surprised it hasn't been cancelled yet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's too soon to really see long-term trends, but it dropped off hard from the first issue (which is the standard) but looks like it's finding its level fairly quickly?

#1 - 99,064 (6th overall in unit sales)
#2 - 43,128 (50th)
#3 - 41,167 (55th)

Sales figures and ranks for February (past the top 10) aren't going to be out for another week or two but assuming it has another comparatively small drop it can probably be considered a success. *But*, is that level of success for a SPIDER-MAN book going to be "good enough" is an open question, Marvel seemed content for ages to have one "A" Spider-Man book and then a whole raft of lower-selling side Spider-Man books, but with the advent of BRAND NEW DAY almost a decade ago they seemed pretty wary of having those around for whatever reason, brand dilution or whatever.

They might feel like a Spider-Man book should sell better, though at this point they've been running Miles Morales Spider-Man and Spider-Man/Deadpool for over a year. It should be said that both of those books sell (with issue numbering well into the double-digits) significantly better than RNW after three issues. On the other hand Spider-Man 2099 has been chugging along at much lower sales, as are/were Spider-Family titles like Silk, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Gwen.

Didn't the old ones hover around 20,000. Even on good days?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Every time I see a new issue of 2099 has come out, I feel surprised it hasn't been cancelled yet.

I'm only reading it on Marvel Unlimited so I'm behind but it's a real fun book. I love all the 2099 stuff and adding Cap 2099 to the supporting cast was a good idea.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, it's a real good book, it's just surprising it's gotten to issue 20 at all.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Don't forget that PAD is writing the new Scarlet Spider title this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man 2099 ends with #25.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So the Secret Empire is going to have variant covers featuring the villains that will form quote "Hydra's secret weapons in the war against the superheroes."

One of these villains is Magneto.

That seems like it could be awkward.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CharlestheHammer posted:

Didn't the old ones hover around 20,000. Even on good days?
Old "Spider-Man" books or like Spider-Family books? Spider-Man books have always done way better than 20,000/mo (unless you get into like fifth-level ones like Spider-Man Family/Spider-Man Unlimited)

Going back to 2007 when they decided to fold everything into the thrice-monthly Brand New Day, Amazing Spider-Man (A-book) was averaging about 120,000 copies a month, Sensational Spider-Man (B-book) around 60,000, and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (C-Book) around 50,000. All solid sales numbers, but the idea was that if you just put out ASM three times a month you'd get 360,000 monthly sales. That didn't really work, but also the market never really got to the heights that Civil War/Infinite Crisis/everything else pushed it to circa 2006-7, but for pretty much the whole past decade sales on The One Main Spider-Man book have been higher (2-3 books in the top 10/20) than you would have had win one Forever Top Ten book and two books in the midlist.

Also in 2007 Ultimate Spider-Man was still averaging around 70,000/mo, but that anthology-filler-try-out book Spider-Man Family was in fact hovering around 10-15,000 copies a month for its abortive six issue run. Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, whatever tier you want to call that, was under 10,000.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 6, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Roth posted:

Yeah, it's a real good book, it's just surprising it's gotten to issue 20 at all.

Counting the first volume and Secret Wars 2099, it's fast approaching the same number of issues as the original Spider-Man 2099 run in the '90s. Kind of impressive for a low key book in the modern market.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It might've slipped at some nerd cruise where Chelsea Cain (Mockingbird) is speaking, that she's writing a new Vision series.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/05/chelsea-cain-write-new-vision-comic-book/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hopefully it's about Viv.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...why.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Because nerds can't have nice things, they have to ruin them. You've been on the internet long enough to know that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's based around the guy who made the Portal songs. I don't think 'nerd' is too disparaging.

Anyway, I'm into it. I'd hope it's it's own unique thing again. Still not a regular superhero book, while also not just what King was doing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 6, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TwoPair posted:

Because nerds can't have nice things, they have to ruin them. You've been on the internet long enough to know that.

I mean let's not be too hasty calling a cruise a nice thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean let's not be too hasty calling a cruise a nice thing.

You don't like sewage?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It just seems like beaches and sun and swimming are not the ideal venue for the audience.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If there's such a thing as sport-goth, there can be cruise-nerd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

If there's such a thing as sport-goth, there can be cruise-nerd.

is that when you lift while listening to Bauhaus

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alaois posted:

is that when you lift while listening to Bauhaus

It's a fitness regime that romanticizes death and self-destruction.

You know, like CrossFit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I actually liked her Mockingbird, hope this does well.

Take a look at the rest of the cruise lineup though, Will Wheaton and Patrick Rothfuss good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

Hopefully it's about Viv.

This. Someone needs to liberate her from the nightmare that is Champions.

• Locked thread