Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

so uh what books are yall reading

I started reading Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing after I read this chain of posts in the Quotes Thread:

sebmojo posted:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:
your mum's anus is so insatiably hungry for monster cock, average-sized men call it the Judging Eye
Strom Cuzewon posted:
Your mum's so filthy, Cnaiur thought he was loving a hole in the ground.
Lunchmeat Larry posted:
your mum’s holes are so nasty, her favourite dildo was repurposed as a terrifying weapon, the Heron Spear
General Battuta posted:
I was pacing the halls of Atrithau contemplating the knowledge of pure meaning when my senses were assaulted by a hideous Mark. Whirling I saw a velour-robed Schoolman. Impossible! As I summoned my wards the man said, "Yo momma made a pit of her womb so deep they call her Mom-Uirokas." Desperately I focused on the simple truth of the geometric point. But the sorcerer's chapped lips chuckled "Yo momma so stupid she thinks skin-spy can cover up her herpes" and I was confronted with the knowledge that my disgrace was anticipated in ancient counsels where men's honor was bound to the grace of their mothers. My world pitched as the nimil-chained wizard cried "Aurang left yo momma's house so ashamed and hosed up he ran up to me saying, 'who am I? what do you see??'" And I wept as I accepted the busting of my soul.
Lunchmeat Larry posted:
rumour has it that the most fearless Mandate scholars face one final Dream of Seswatha that none have ever experienced without succumbing to madness and clawing out their own eyes in their sleep; the very night you were conceived
General Battuta posted:
Deep within the halls of Ishual I oversaw the birth of the latest Candidate. From the scents and issues of the pregnancy I had determined the sex of the boy. But when the child slid from the whale-mother it was at a time unanticipated by the evidence, and beneath the natal filth he wore a robe of thick cloth. Improbably, the child spoke. "Look here," he burbled, "buncha nerds so cloistered they think a clitoris is a property of the soul's will to become self-moving. Hey! You! You spend twenty years studying how passions move peeled-up faces?" And I saw in his bloodied face the words 'and yo cock so little they call you the Death of Girth.' I fell into the Probability Trance to explore the causal origins of this event, but everywhere I turned I saw a man with nimil-jeweled teeth hooting "They say an Anasurimbor will come at the end of the world, so I guess the Second Apocalypse goes down after three pumps". And I felt the Absolute escape me forever.

It is a pretty fun fantasy series. Not at all what I expected, but I loved the concept of a student of philosophy writing a fantasy series. Serendipitously, I'm also-- very slowly-- reading Nietzche's The Birth of Tragedy, because I'm a douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Rise and Fall of American Growth by Robert Gordon and The Industrious Revolution by Jan de Vries.

I like me some economics history.

And Never Let Me Go when I'm in a fiction mood.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 6, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Solid retard move by me to not even start my meal prep for the week until 830

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BlindSite posted:

Im reading world war z because somehow I never got round to it.

Pretty cool.

You should also check out the Zombie Survival Guide, its by the same guy and is basically a guide to surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, but references minor zombie outbreaks and how certain strategies came about from those.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies. A book about odd places, how they come into existence, and general philosophy about how we shape/view spaces and how spaces shape us. Also, I'm perpetually working through articles I found on Don Van Natta's Sunday Long Read.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Making my way back through my Discworld collection for the second time in the last couple of years, I'm almost finished with the City Guards line, then it'll be the Witches, finally the Death series. I just finished Nixonland and All The President's Men, and still have The Invisible Bridge to go, but between all that and real news, I needed to lighten things the hell up for a couple of weeks.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Last book I read was "Digging up Mother" by Doug Stanhope. The title is loosely based on the time he helped his mother kill herself due to her COPD and eventually bought a shitload of stuff on credit cards in her name. It happened in 2008 but couldn't tell it until recent due to statute of limitations.

What an amazing alcohol fueled life this dude has lived.

Also bonus the funniest description about why farts are just the best. :allears:

quote:

Let me take a moment to defend flatulence. While I can appreciate and enjoy intelligent humor that makes you think, I never want to become so ensconced in artistry that I no longer laugh at farts. There is nothing even remotely close to how much a powerful, wet, gurgling blast of gas and matter can make me laugh. From the beginning, as a child, they made me weep snot, and have continued to make me fall out every time since. I couldn’t name one other comedy source more timeless than farts. Stand-up comedy has the shelf life of mayonnaise in the hot sun. Jokes get old. Movies like Caddyshack still hold up fairly well but could never make me spill off a chair with tears running down my face, gasping for breath, like a well-placed, turbulent anal expulsion. Repeatedly, over and over, even when you see ’em coming.

Jeff Brown and I commonly ate at the Sahara dinner buffet where I had—to this day—the best spectacle of bowel-wrenching flatulence of my life. The room was full of mostly elderly people, tables tightly packed, and we were seated dead center. It was silent except for the slight tinkling of silverware on plates. I felt my lower intestine chamber up and I knew it had championship prospects. I knew Jeff Brown would have absolutely no appreciation for what was about to happen, which made it way funnier. My chair was the perfect hard plastic for maximum reverberation. I was choking down the belly laugh as I leaned up and into the table, hands on the corners, thoroughly telegraphing my intentions. What came out of me was Hell’s Trumpet. A deafening tear echoed off every corner of that muted hall. It lasted at least 6–7 seconds, a veritable eternity of hang-time for nonstop wind. The pitch roared up and down the scales in range. The clarity of sound would have made you feel like you were actually dining inside my colon. People were seated literally a foot behind me. When it concluded, all sound in the dining room had completely evaporated. There was no question that every single person of the hundred or so in there had bore witness to my masterpiece. Jeff Brown was paralyzed with inner fury as the mortified silence turned to widespread murmurs of disgust. I simply stared at my plate as tears flooded my eyes, my nose ran, and I began to drool while convulsing and desperately trying to contain any audible laugh. Jeff would have run for the door had it not been situated so far away. He was genuinely enraged, and still comically fumes to this day when I bring that story up. I laughed just as hard now recounting it here as I did that pleasant afternoon. (And again, during rewrites.)

Farts are the funniest things in life, and if you disagree, then you have no soul. End of story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone else catch the pilot for Making History? I really like Adam Pally and I think this could be a good show. I love that Fox is taking big swings on shows like this and Last Man on Earth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Anyone else catch the pilot for Making History?

No

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper. I'm hoping to eventually get around to doing The Satanic Verses, but I keep balking for some reason despite the first chapter being zany fun.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thaddius the Large posted:

Making my way back through my Discworld collection for the second time in the last couple of years, I'm almost finished with the City Guards line, then it'll be the Witches, finally the Death series. I just finished Nixonland and All The President's Men, and still have The Invisible Bridge to go, but between all that and real news, I needed to lighten things the hell up for a couple of weeks.

Oh I also read Monstrous Regiment recently, and hot drat, crossdressing militaristic trad caths are extremely my fetish.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Reading the Expanse series of books since the TV Show is so drat good.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

March, the graphic novel by John Lewis is pretty great.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Studying for the CFA so not a lot of free time to read but on a recent vacation I knocked out Das Reboot (about how Germany fixed their national soccer team), Zalacain the Adventurer (the author was one of Hemingway's inspirations), and Borrow: The American Way of Debt (a look into American debt in the 20th century). I'd recommend all 3.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swickles posted:

You should also check out the Zombie Survival Guide, its by the same guy and is basically a guide to surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, but references minor zombie outbreaks and how certain strategies came about from those.

Cheers for the reccomendation I'll pick it up when I'm done with wwz.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Logan is a very good movie, guys. I highly recommend it, even if you're like me and you're completely sick of superhero movies.

It made me feel emotions and things :chloe:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

Oh I also read Monstrous Regiment recently, and hot drat, crossdressing militaristic trad caths are extremely my fetish.

:hfive:
Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favorites and I own every Discworld book. I love his interpretation of Marxism in Making Money.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ehud posted:

I've probably seen JP over 100 times. I still adore it and get chill bumps during the t-Rex scene.

Put it on after seeing it on Netflix and still hold up. I've seen the T-Rex scene so many times and every time my heart races in fear.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Watching: Westworld / Girls
Reading: Stephen King's Joyland
Playing: new Zelda ofc

Girls can actually be clever but im a little tired of seeing Lena Dunhams vagina

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

but im a little tired of seeing Lena Dunhams vagina

Said no one ever!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Reading Swing Time and it's some of the most beautiful writing I've encountered in recent memory.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm never going to finish Yakuza 0

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Some fuckerman next to me has a Patriots emblem on his Jeep. I want to key that mother fucker.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Don't be a hooligan rear end in a top hat

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Yeah, never mess with a dudes ride.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fastlane tonight baby. Wrestling is good.
fastlane was bad lol

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BlindSite posted:

Im reading world war z because somehow I never got round to it.

Pretty cool.

It's definitely better than the movie version: WORLD WAR Z BROUGHT TO YOU BY PEPSI.

Currently watching season 3 of Z-Nation. You really have to turn your brain off for it but it's a hell of a lot more fun than Walking Dead.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What hot culinary trends am I pursuing?

- Cooking more with lentils
- Making different types of rice .. Japanese short grain, fragrant Jasmine, elegant Basmati, wild rice
- Blending fruits and yogurts together for tasty, healthy treats

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I learned how to make risotto and now I'm in love

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Yeah, never mess with a dudes ride.

German cars that use two parking spots in a crowded parking lot are fair game. :colbert:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Eli Wiggum posted:

fastlane was bad lol
Only Neville/Gallagher was good. Bad show.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

German cars that use two parking spots in a crowded parking lot are fair game. :colbert:

Ok, so are abandoned suzukis in residential neighborhoods :colbert:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Got back from Maui. Did some cool things:

- Drove to Hana finally. If you enjoy driving, this is one drive you should do once in your life. Went to the seven sacred pools and hiked to the Waimoku falls. Coolest waterfall I've seen in my life. Hana itself is a really depressing town, though.
- Couldn't do a sunrise hike at the peak (as of last month, they now require reservations which were sold out when we got there), but went there anyways after sunrise. Good hiking, and the one part of the trip where I actually felt cold, as the weather hovers around 50 degrees there.
- Snorkeled at Molokini, and at turtle town as well. Didn't see any reef sharks sadly. Got that fix at the aquarium, though.
- Drank so many Mai Tais.
- Makena beach was probably my favorite beach. The waves owned. Everyone says Kaanapali beach is the best, but that's really crowded.
- Girlfriend treated me to a fancy dinner on my birthday. Also, yeah there's a lot of great food on that island.

Feels weird to be back at work.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I'm currently exploring poached eggs with my sous vide cooker

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm extremely interested in sous vide but there are other techniques I need to master first

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Ok, so are abandoned suzukis in residential neighborhoods :colbert:

They got away with it. :shrug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm extremely interested in sous vide but there are other techniques I need to master first

If you actually master other techniques you don't need sous vide. The best thing about sous vide is you're never going to completely gently caress something up and your stuff will be done at the right temperature no questions asked.

Having said that I, as someone who is not willing to actually master anything about cooking, enjoy my cheapish (relatively) sous vide circulator.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
This weekend I plan on making takoyaki.....fried octopus balls..balls of octopus meat not their testicles

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, I saw Get Out and Logan too. Both were fantastic. If you're white, you should watch Get Out with a black friend for the full experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This weekend I plan on making takoyaki.....fried octopus balls..balls of octopus meat not their testicles

Dude, those are my fav. With that awesome sweet chili sauce they use... loving yum. Good on you for trying that.

• Locked thread