Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

It's been a while but the general principle on a tax return is to record the information in the section you feel is most appropriate. Putting things in that section won't lower your tax burden so it just shows that corbyn/his accountant feels that the leadership money is an additional workplace benefit.

E:as opposed to primary source of income. The important thing to note is that this is all above board.

I can understand it, it's a stipend for the post, rather than necessarily payment for the services provided, as he is already paid for his services by virtue of being an MP..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

I can understand it, it's a stipend for the post, rather than necessarily payment for the services provided, as he is already paid for his services by virtue of being an MP..

He's put it under the heading 'other pensions and retirement annuities'. There's nothing to understand. It's a mistake.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not an accountant

Pissflaps posted:

It's a mistake.

Should probably shut your mouth about it then.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Should probably shut your mouth about it then.

Jeremy has made his erroneous tax return available for public scrutiny. Your request is denied.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

He's put it under the heading 'other pensions and retirement annuities'. There's nothing to understand. It's a mistake.

Will you do my tax return for me? You must be an expert, probably an accountant.

Wait, you're not? Huh. Shocked.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

Jeremy has made his erroneous tax return available for public scrutiny. Your request is denied.

you're not an accountant and are objectively, legally, wrong on this

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Will you do my tax return for me? You must be an expert, probably an accountant.

Wait, you're not? Huh. Shocked.

I know what words mean.

My only advice on accountancy would be: don't hire Jeremy's.

Spangly A posted:

you're not an accountant and are objectively, legally, wrong on this

Can you expand upon this point?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Surprised to see Pissflaps come out as a brexiteer after all this time, what with his support for people commenting on poo poo they know nothing about and all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I know what words mean.

No you don't, though. You absolutely have no idea what these words mean in a legal, acturial, or accounting context. You are a layman. You are not expected to understand what these words mean. Which is great, because you don't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

Surprised to see Pissflaps come out as a brexiteer after all this time, what with his support for people commenting on poo poo they know nothing about and all.

I don't support Brexit this is a straw man argument.

Spangly A posted:

No you don't, though. You absolutely have no idea what these words mean in a legal, acturial, or accounting context. You are a layman. You are not expected to understand what these words mean. Which is great, because you don't.

Are you able to explain specifically how I am wrong? Are you an accountant?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Are you able to explain specifically how I am wrong? Are you an accountant?

Perhaps, although it's common for an unedecuated layperson like yourself to have difficulties here. What is your specific complaint? I trained in acturial alongside econ, I live with a city and guilds fellow of accounting. There's a lot of letters around the name I won't bother you with.

Jeremy's accountant has filed his paperwork stating that his incremental Opposition Leadership increase is a benefit of his role in the party, supplementary to his primary source of income as MP. It is declared and taxed as is proper.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Should declare that I am also, obviously, a layman; I do not pay my dues as an accountant as I was uninterested in it as a career choice. As such I would need to retrain for another few months should I wish to take up an acturial or accounting position. Because things like legal definition of jargon are updated semi-frequently, and tax law is updated annually.

Do still have my books about though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Perhaps, although it's common for an unedecuated layperson like yourself to have difficulties here. What is your specific complaint? I trained in acturial alongside econ, I live with a city and guilds fellow of accounting. There's a lot of letters around the name I won't bother you with.

Jeremy's accountant has filed his paperwork stating that his incremental Opposition Leadership increase is a benefit of his role in the party, supplementary to his primary source of income as MP. It is declared and taxed as is proper.

Your credentials are impressive.

My complaint is that Jeremy has put the money he gets for being leader of the opposition under the heading 'other pensions and retirement annuities' and on the line 'uk pensions and state benefits' rather than 'pay from all employments'.

Spangly A posted:

Should declare that I am also, obviously, a layman; I do not pay my dues as an accountant as I was uninterested in it as a career choice.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

My complaint is that Jeremy has put the money he gets for being leader of the opposition under the heading 'other pensions and retirement annuities' and on the line 'uk pensions and state benefits' rather than 'pay from all employments'.

Ok, can you explain how this is not proper please, other than "jeremy bad"

More generally what the gently caress is he doing releasing tax forms he hasn't had cleaned for public viewing but I'm struggling to see how you'd get anywhere arguing this is mis-reporting your taxes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Ok, can you explain how this is not proper please, other than "jeremy bad"

You told me that I can't explain why because I'm a layman and don't have authority to speak on such matters, unlike somebody who lives with an accountant.

Though if you insist, to my layman's eyes, it seems nonsensical to describe a salary (or even a striped) as a pension or state benefit, rather than income from employment. Because it'a his job. And he gets paid to do t.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

You told me that I can't explain why because I'm a layman and don't have authority to speak on such matters, unlike somebody who lives with an accountant.

Though if you insist, to my layman's eyes, it seems nonsensical to describe a salary (or even a striped) as a pension or state benefit, rather than income from employment. Because it'a his job. And he gets paid to do t.

Zing. Did he pay the same taxes?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Zing. Did he pay the same taxes?

I don't know I'm not an accountant.

Though if you're asking if I think this error signals some attempt to defraud HMRC then the answer is clearly no.

It's simply a mistake.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know I'm not an accountant.

Though if you're asking if I think this error signals some attempt to defraud HMRC then the answer is clearly no.

It's simply a mistake.

good honest man jeremy corbyn puts no thought to taxes, simply gives

a bad man

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jabby posted:

Presumably the first media person to look at his return was too dumb to realise he didn't get the full benefit in the tax year shown

More like they saw an opportunity to manufacture a controversy and set themselves up with a nice juicy story for the day. So engaging it's sparking off a bunch of armchair accountancy

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

More like they saw an opportunity to manufacture a controversy and set themselves up with a nice juicy story for the day. So engaging it's sparking off a bunch of armchair accountancy

The leader of the opposition misreporting his income on a tax return he's published to demonstrate transparency is a bit controversial tbf.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

The leader of the opposition misreporting his income on a tax return he's published to demonstrate transparency is a bit controversial tbf.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. "I'm not an accountant... but I reckon this actual accountant definitely did these accounts wrong!!"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'd post a tory leaders to compare but I don't think the panama papers fits on this hard drive

what standard are we realistically expecting here

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. "I'm not an accountant... but I reckon this actual accountant definitely did these accounts wrong!!"

Insisting that it must be correct because 'an actual accountant did it' seems no more credible.

Unless you're an accountant yourself and can explain it?

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps' dream story. He can ridicule Corbyn over pointless minutiae while deflecting from the spirit of what is trying to be done here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Insisting that it must be correct because 'an actual accountant did it' seems no more credible.

Unless you're an accountant yourself and can explain it?

Yeah for sure, a professional is no more credible than some random saying "I don't understand so it must be wrong!"

Either a qualified accountant failed to do their job properly, making an error that's apparently obvious even to a layman, and then it also slipped by everyone else involved in publishing it... or people who don't know what they're talking about are chatting poo poo. Hmm both possibilities are equally likely I think!! You couldn't make it up!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Yeah for sure, a professional is no more credible than some random saying "I don't understand so it must be wrong!"

Either a qualified accountant failed to do their job properly, making an error that's apparently obvious even to a layman, and then it also slipped by everyone else involved in publishing it... or people who don't know what they're talking about are chatting poo poo. Hmm both possibilities are equally likely I think!! You couldn't make it up!

I've yet to see a credible explanation for why the leader of the opposition's wage can be described as a 'pension or state benefit'.

Given that government accounts describe it as

a salary, and considering his track record of incompetence, I'm entirely confident that the qualified accountant Jeremy engaged managed to make this mistake, and his team failed to notice it. Because they're idiots.

Maybe instead of the qualified accountant he got the guy that lives with him instead.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 6, 2017

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
There's a twitter breakdown of the Corbyn tax thing by a tax lawyer:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838684525022572544

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838684741205360640

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838685522365132800

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838685695308877824

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838686113560678400

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838688151052902401

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838688664431517696

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838688923731787776

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838689436518993920

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838690851693948928

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838691341806755840

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/838691587077124097

Considering he politicised this, he really should be quadruple-checking with multiple independent people and making sure his published returns are beyond reproach.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
God, who cares.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A series of a dozen tweets is quite possible the least readable way of publishing that

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Fangz posted:

God, who cares.
Considering he's the leader of the opposition, then probably quite a few people. On an issue that you yourself politicise, you have to be goddamn sure you're beyond reproach. If there is an issue now, this political gesture backfires and solidifies the feeling that some people have that he/his team is incompetent.

Cerv posted:

A series of a dozen tweets is quite possible the least readable way of publishing that

It's a brave new social-media world.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not in any way a Corbyn fan but this is a triviality.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Nobody talking about Peugeot buying Vauxhall, and the potential opportunities that arise as a result?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Well, Corbyn exists, so

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/838330022444294144

Majority in 2015: 24,000

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Haha loving knew it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Chuka Umunna has just published what looks to me like a new leadership manifesto: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/chuka-umunna-labour-alternative

Haven't read all of it yet. And I don't particularly trust Umunna. But (depressingly) this seems like a more comprehensive vision than anything the leadership has come up with since Jeremy was first elected. Along with the (pretty much unnecessary at this point) analysis of labour's current poo poo creak situation, it has: a decent (if too soft) look at where New Labour went wrong, and it puts forward a genuine vision of how the party can move forward, drawing on all sorts of sources and ideas. There are just enough specifics to make it worth skimming through the waffle.
The bits that stand out as awkward are the national/parochialism/immigration bits and the family values bit (the latter seems very much out of New Labour's playbook).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Chuka Umunna has just published what looks to me like a new leadership manifesto: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/chuka-umunna-labour-alternative

Haven't read all of it yet. And I don't particularly trust Umunna. But (depressingly) this seems like a more comprehensive vision than anything the leadership has come up with since Jeremy was first elected. Along with the (pretty much unnecessary at this point) analysis of labour's current poo poo creak situation, it has: a decent (if too soft) look at where New Labour went wrong, and it puts forward a genuine vision of how the party can move forward, drawing on all sorts of sources and ideas. There are just enough specifics to make it worth skimming through the waffle.
The bits that stand out as awkward are the national/parochialism/immigration bits and the family values bit (the latter seems very much out of New Labour's playbook).

If you can't trust him not to puss out on being leader twice you can't trust him to lead the party full stop.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Is it really necessary to lay out where new labour went wrong I mean why hamstring yourself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The worst crime, a slightly untidy tax return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Is it really necessary to lay out where new labour went wrong
yes

• Locked thread