Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Loopoo posted:

Oh poo poo, really? What does the barding do, just add aesthetics or does it increase their defence?

As for the revival stuff, I know about it, but gently caress that noise. I mean, I love my horses dearly, but I ain't throwing an extortionate amount of money away to revive them. I'd rather just go tame a new one, there's so many with the same stats and I can get max bond in ten minutes or less. Just pat them every time they do naughty things and you fix it (like if they veer off track, get them back on track and then pat and bam, hearts).

Pretty sure it's just aesthetics unfortunately. If you want a combat horse you should look into rumors of a giant horse somewhere down south...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Many hours ago I found the Forgotten Temple but the entrance was blocked by a rockface. I've since returned and the rockface is gone. Why? I'm not sure what I did in relation to it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Pretty sure it's just aesthetics unfortunately. If you want a combat horse you should look into rumors of a giant horse somewhere down south...

I'm definitely planning on tracking that horse down. That's a horse I'd be willing to revive, since it has real interesting lore.

Aesthetics are good, I guess. It'd look pretty sweet having my horse looking like a killing machine.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I actually found the giant horse first thing after jumping off the Plateau. A little while later when I had a few stamina foods I tamed him and made him my first horse. You can't put barding on him, he has no sprint charges, but he's super tough and deadly. He's also kinda fast because he's just so huge.

For the horse archery challenge in the south, is there a simple method to getting it done? Maybe I should just try it with a Lynel bow and see how it goes, but trying it with my normal bows didn't seem to go all that well. I wish time would slow down when you aimed your bow on horseback.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

snoremac posted:

Many hours ago I found the Forgotten Temple but the entrance was blocked by a rockface. I've since returned and the rockface is gone. Why? I'm not sure what I did in relation to it.

You probably did the same thing I did and overclimbed it the first time. I went alllll the way across the top trying to find an entrance with no luck, but when I paraglided down the front again I noticed the part I THOUGHT was the entrance was actually above it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The pre-dungeon Gerudo stuff is great, feels like Majora's Mask.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shields take durability damage when shield surfing :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp9Tsw7Oyk

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Though it sucks knowing a super cool weapon you just nabbed will eventually break, I'm pretty sure weapon/shield durability are central to why this game works so well. The fact that a weapon won't make your character overpowered forever and break the game allowed the designers to grant tons of player agency. In other modern open world games this is limited by stats/leveling/xp, which are arbitrary, and after a while, you know you really didn't actually DO much yourself. In past Zeldas you just had to wait for weapons to be granted to you in a more-or-less linear fashion. In very few other games can you sneak somewhere you shouldn't and grab a way-out-of-your-league weapon and use it to defeat a way-out-of-your-league enemy. Cooking is integral to agency too, not to mention the rune abilities you're given from the outset. Progression in BotW is almost purely a matter of understanding how the game's mechanics work together and how to best wield them. It's super cool. :master:

Shields shouldn't take damage while surfing though. :colbert:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah, thinking about it I would love an FPS game that offered no means of restocking ammo. Halo basically does this, but graft that poo poo onto a more non-linear thing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
My playthrough so far in a nutshell, having completed eight shrines and the main quest through Kakariko, Hateno, and finding Zora's Domain:
  • Not realizing the machine parts are needed for upgrading runes, I harvest basically every part I need and then sell them all off to pay for Cool Ninja Clothes.
  • Because drat near everything in the game seems to one-shot me no matter what I'm wearing, I proceed to use Cool Ninja Clothes to sneak around basically every single combat encounter and feel like the world's biggest coward.
It was a gently caress-up, but it's my gently caress-up, so I'll own it, goddamn it. :ninja:

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
I tried to rush the ball straight to the hole at the top of Eventide. Promptly got swarmed by pigmen and, in the midst of battle, one of the giant moblins picked up the orb and chucked it right past my head. Over the cliff. I spent about five minutes fishing/golfing it out of the ocean and another twenty trying to get it back up the cliff by any means possible.

Game owns.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

"You're already full of vigor" bullSHIT I don't have enough stamina until 25% of my screen real estate is green concentric circles

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think panic running up death mountain was more tense than any boss since I did the first divine beast with 8 hearts, and the second with 12. Master sword demolishes guardians it feels so good after fearing them. This game really rewards just loving around and is the first game I've actually enjoyed open world, crafting, or weapon durability, in a long time.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Now that I just did the Test of Strength and Major Test of Strenth trials one right after the other with only 3 hearts and once upgraded Hylian clothes, I think I'm going to get my fifth stamina upgrade and go to bed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its cool that my horse tries to assist me in combat. Its less cool that he can accidentally kick me in the face for an OHKO since his mighty hooves do over 4 hearts of damage. Maybe that was just revenge for naming him Ganonhoof though.

I feel like everything is OHKOing me now.

EDIT: Is there a way to cheese those eneormous centaur fuckers? I need a horn from one to upgrade my stupid sweet barbarian shirt but everytime I come remotely close to them they relentlessly own me. Is it possible to sneak up on them?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 6, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hahahahaha after about 15 minutes of trying everything I could think of, I finally figured out the "Bravery's Grasp" shrine (where the switch makes the steps go up and down but you can't shoot the switch from the steps, there's a wall in the way)

You can pick up the laser :aaaaa:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly I knew this game had good puzzles once I could just flip my controller over and skip the marble madness.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

dragon enthusiast posted:

P.S. you can respec heart containers/stamina vessels from the shifty statue in Hateno Village, head down from the shrine warp point and take a left from the flagpole

In this regard, what has everyone been doing? Dividing the points equally? If it's unequal I assume most people are grabbing heart containers preferentially?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The opposite, for me. I can always carry more food to restore health, stamina is much more rare/limiting. I have done just under 50 shrines (11 or 12 upgrades,) and maxed out stamina (10 upgrades.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Megasabin posted:

In this regard, what has everyone been doing? Dividing the points equally? If it's unequal I assume most people are grabbing heart containers preferentially?

I wanna upgrade stamina because hearts are for chumps but considering how my session ended with getting OHKO'd by black lizalfos 5+ times before I gave up, I guess I'm the chump. Healing is plentiful in this game but that doesn't matter when you can't take a hit.

I don't see how stamina is anything but a luxury in this game though. The only thing the stamina meter limits is excessive climbing, but there are ways around that if you really need to scale a gently caress off big mountain with no cliffs to stand on.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 6, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hedrigall posted:

Hahahahaha after about 15 minutes of trying everything I could think of, I finally figured out the "Bravery's Grasp" shrine (where the switch makes the steps go up and down but you can't shoot the switch from the steps, there's a wall in the way)

You can pick up the laser :aaaaa:

In another shrine, you can also stasis a laser for a delayed action.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You haven't lived until you've climbed a tower with only jumping.

Stamina also matters for paragliding, taming, etc.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

You're best off bee lining to high hearts then take stamina as a luxury later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also armor hugely helps your survivability. Specifically the Knight's set is super easy to upgrade since it just needs Bokoblin stuff and you can buy it right away. Mixing in even one piece at tier 3 means almost nothing does more than 5 or 6 hearts of damage to you even if the rest of your equipment is terrible.

Like at tier 3 just my knight bits give 18 def a piece and you literally only need Bokoblin guts, chu jelly and 4 Hoklin gits to get there. Wearing the full set lets me tank two guardian blasts currently with 13 hearts.

Zore fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 6, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
All stamina and make food that gives 13+ temporary hearts imo

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Is buying ancient weapons from Robbie a waste? Do you get free replacements?

Is there anywhere to stock up on arrows reliably? Beedle only ever seems to carry one pack of 10 at a time.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Henry Black posted:

Is there anywhere to stock up on arrows reliably? Beedle only ever seems to carry one pack of 10 at a time.

Just go to all the towns they sell them cheapest anyways. Also for the first question only if you don't already have them and are going guardian hunting.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Henry Black posted:

If you just want normal arrows go bug some archer bokoblins on the plateau and run around like an idiot while they shoot at you. Kill any melee dudes first. I got like 30 this way.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Spergatory posted:

My playthrough so far in a nutshell, having completed eight shrines and the main quest through Kakariko, Hateno, and finding Zora's Domain:
  • Not realizing the machine parts are needed for upgrading runes, I harvest basically every part I need and then sell them all off to pay for Cool Ninja Clothes.
  • Because drat near everything in the game seems to one-shot me no matter what I'm wearing, I proceed to use Cool Ninja Clothes to sneak around basically every single combat encounter and feel like the world's biggest coward.
It was a gently caress-up, but it's my gently caress-up, so I'll own it, goddamn it. :ninja:

Stealthing is a legitimate form of gameplay I don't give a gently caress what anyone thinks. If it's wrong, then gently caress being right.

I do need to practice more combat, though. This isn't as frustrating as SS was, but I've just been brute forcing most enemies with huge rear end claymores.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay that's it I'm officially blind so I'm gonna do a slight cheat here. Can anyone tell me the general vicinity of another great fairy fountain? No need to get into specifics, even just the zone it's in will do. I've been trudging along with my +1 armor but I'm starting to really feel the hurt now that I've finished dungeon 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay that's it I'm officially blind so I'm gonna do a slight cheat here. Can anyone tell me the general vicinity of another great fairy fountain? No need to get into specifics, even just the zone it's in will do. I've been trudging along with my +1 armor but I'm starting to really feel the hurt now that I've finished dungeon 2.

Go south-west of Gerudo Town.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Infinity Gaia posted:

South west of the ridge land tower, I think? The one with all the fuckin' wizzrobes. Anyways, the flower bud is visible from the tower.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well that explains it, it's literally the one zone I haven't been to yet :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Apparently you can buy a house

So I bought it and it has racks to store weapons, shields, and bows. Now I'm not running around with the weapons you get post-dungeons :swoon:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Infinitum posted:

Apparently you can buy a house

So I bought it and it has racks to store weapons, shields, and bows. Now I'm not running around with the weapons you get post-dungeons :swoon:

Same. Did this when I saw the repair cost of the Zora's weapon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Scholtz posted:

The opposite, for me. I can always carry more food to restore health, stamina is much more rare/limiting. I have done just under 50 shrines (11 or 12 upgrades,) and maxed out stamina (10 upgrades.)

Do you find that much extra stamina has let you do things you couldn't otherwise do?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zore posted:

You don't really need them. You cab cut down trees with bombs or any edged weapon and iron hammers are just durable compared to other 2 handed options but weak. Torches are useful only in areas the game showers you in them anyways.

Only utility you really need is a Korok leaf tbh.
I dropped my Korok leaf in the lab so that I could pick up a torch to get the blue flame, but when I got back it was gone. :( What do you need the Korok leaf for anyway?

I've been carrying around the hammer for breaking rocks but I might ditch it if you can just use bombs. Same with the Woodcutter's axe. There seems to be plenty of those around anyway.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just finished the Zora dungeon & boss. Wow! That was quite an intense fight. I wasted all my arrows on him and just started chucking swords. Finally got that bastard down.

He's a real pain when he's chucking ice at you and you can't get out of the water fast enough to use Cryonis

I'm so excited to move on now. I think I'll go to the desert next :3:

Infinity Gaia posted:

I found one in the north east. Can't remember its exact location but I'm pretty sure it's the pond my cursor is pointing at in this: http://imgur.com/a/kKwb3 (map spoilers for anyone who hasn't uncovered the north east area)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

irlZaphod posted:

I dropped my Korok leaf in the lab so that I could pick up a torch to get the blue flame, but when I got back it was gone. :( What do you need the Korok leaf for anyway?

I've been carrying around the hammer for breaking rocks but I might ditch it if you can just use bombs. Same with the Woodcutter's axe. There seems to be plenty of those around anyway.

Ah, to be this young again thinking that weapons matter
Weapons don't matter friend, use them as you please. I found a sword that apparently shoots thunder and hits almost as hard as a knight broadsword and I was saving it For Later but then I ran into regular-rear end enemies who were carrying said sword and I gave myself permission to go whole hog
People have said you find a super special sword somewhere in death mountain but then I found that exact same sword just lying around another area with no difficulty

And Korok Leaves are used for boats pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh, question about (post Zora dungeon spoiler) Mipha's gift. Is that like... free fairy revival for the rest of the game? I notice my HUD now has an elephant symbol with a x1 next to it. Do I need to recharge the revival thing when it's used up?