Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

parallelodad posted:

You also could carry a torch.

THAT'S SO COOL

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm super interested in how this game came about at all. For literally 20 years Nintendo has been walking away from the "total freedom" approach that Zelda 1 pioneered, and now bam, we're back with the freest Zelda title of all time. Was it sales numbers - did Skyward Sword sell less than expected? Or have Nintendo employees been monitoring online communities and seeing people's complaints about the extreme linearity and handholding of recent titles? Or were people inside Nintendo unhappy with the recent zeldas and wanted a change?

Either way they did a good thing because this is one of the best games of all time and Skyward Sword without the "zelda" name would have been a C- action title that nobody cared about!

Sounds like it was a bit of self-reflection and newer, younger employees injecting new ideas and suggestions into the series. Similar reason why Splatoon and ARMS are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Louisgod posted:

It was really, really interesting to hear how a co-worker got to a place completely different from how I did.

Still in the early area, he got to the snowy mountain by cooking a recipe that gave him a huge cold resistance and he just booked it to the snowy shrine. Alternatively, I cooked the recipe that netted me the fleece from the old man an I was able to take my time. I wouldn't have even thought to just stack resistance potions to get through the snow.

Also spent an hour dragging a metal box down a huge mountain to a tower I didn't have enough stamina to climb. Chest at the top only had 10 arrows in it but man was it a huge blast to wander off, raid a few Moblin nests and steal their hosed up ancient box and use it to raid a pillar that had a chest at the top that some poor schmo likely had to put up there 100 years ago under the instruction that the Hero of Time will need it after Hyrule gets the Trump treatment
Yeah I cooked a recipe which gave me heat resistance. There's a band of moblins just at the river and their base is littered with hot peppers. I was trying to figure out to do and read the description of those. That was the first time I cooked something in the game.

Last night I was climbing one of those towers but didn't have enough stamina to get to the top, so I whipped up a couple of stamina recovery meals. I got 100 rupees out of it, so it was quite worth it. :)

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Myahm Agana Shrine might actually make me go insane
e: rolling ball one

Break the puzzle solution:
physically turn your controller upside down roll it off and turn your controller up to flip the ball off and onto the ramp

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Found a shrine in a freezing pool underneath a big rock that was a pain in the rear end to get to without freezing to death.

Inside was a chest with 300 rupees and the monk, and that was it. No puzzle or anything. The monk basically went "yeah I know this was a pain in the rear end to get so here's your spirit orb". Fantastic.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doggir posted:

Break the puzzle solution:
physically turn your controller upside down roll it off and turn your controller up to flip the ball off and onto the ramp

You can also rotate the remote 90 degrees and the ball will fall directly into the exit lane

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are ice and lightning rods worth hanging onto? I found a cool Zora sword that's weaker than the rest of my melee weapons but at this point I like to keep a weaker weapon around so I don't waste durability on weak enemies. But my weapon inventory is full. I do have an ice and a lightning rod that I've seriously never used but I can't shake that they might be useful. (Also a korok leaf but that seems necessary for boat navigation.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Harrow posted:

Are ice and lightning rods worth hanging onto? I found a cool Zora sword that's weaker than the rest of my melee weapons but at this point I like to keep a weaker weapon around so I don't waste durability on weak enemies. But my weapon inventory is full. I do have an ice and a lightning rod that I've seriously never used but I can't shake that they might be useful. (Also a korok leaf but that seems necessary for boat navigation.)

You need a fire rod for a quest in hatena and an ice rod for a quest I forget where

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Trying to get the memories. Do you get clues of where to go through for all of them from the painter dude or is it all guess work for some?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Trying to get the memories. Do you get clues of where to go through for all of them from the painter dude or is it all guess work for some?

You get clues for all but the story ones which are automatic.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not sure. I found one from guesswork because I recognized a landmark from the background of a photo. There's one that I definitely wouldn't have found without the painter's hint, because it's literally just two trees with a thing in the background.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Calaveron posted:

You need a fire rod for a quest in hatena and an ice rod for a quest I forget where

Korok forest.

Also korok forest is loving great if not for the fact that all the little dudes are just so STOKED you're there. And one of them screams about vegetarians trying to eat his face.

I also like the fact that they gave the great deku tree a complete 180 in how he views Link as being a shiftless, unworthy gently caress instead of being a helpful fatherly-type figure. Just like my real dad! :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

axeil posted:

Yeah I turned the full HUD off once I figured out how everything worked. The game gives you enough subtle info about noise, temperature, etc. for it to not be needed. I also like that it gets rid of the minimap so I have to navigate for real instead of just staring at the minimap.

Turning off the HUD has made this game so awesome. Not only is screen real estate important but it just adds to the sense of wonder.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any good way to determine north without the minimap?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not sure, has anyone noticed which way the Sun rises?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Does the sun rise in the east?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

parallelodad posted:

the giant volcano constantly belching black smoke in the northern region should help most of the time

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 6, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beastie posted:

Not sure, has anyone noticed which way the Sun rises?

It rises east and sets west.

Gonna get the house to store weapons and poo poo immediately because I have a ton of stuff I don't want to get rid of. I'm just chopping wood right now like it's Minecraft because I already have the money. I love it.

Is there anyway to repair or fortify weapons? Everything breaks waaaaay too fast.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just went into a stable to get out of a lightning storm.

A HUMONGOUS fork of lightning shot straight across the tent and made Beedle scream. :stare:

I guess it would have toasted me if I'd had any metal equipped; so much for my vague idea that being indoors would be safe....

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatory Toast posted:

Great fairies tend to just be in places that are not... obvious. Two of them are within gliding distance of some of the towers if you look hard enough and one of them is wicked far out of the way.

Without spoiling anything else; do they look like the first one in Kakariko and can you see them from the towers?

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I seriously can't believe how enormous, beautiful, and fun this game is. I won't pretend to be a connoisseur of open world games, but this is just orders of magnitude more satisfying to play to the ones I've experienced.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Computer posted:

Without spoiling anything else; do they look like the first one in Kakariko and can you see them from the towers?

Yeah, they're all in bulbous flowers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if they'll release a revised timeline with Breath of the Wild's position. It seems to heavily suggest it's in the same timeline as Twilight Princess, but at the same time, koroks and rito suggest a connection to Wind Waker. If it is in the Child Timeline, then it occupies a similar place to the original Legend of Zelda and Wind Waker: a story where Hyrule is all but destroyed for one reason or another and marking a potential finale for a particular incarnation of Ganon.

I saw some suggestions that this is supposed to sort of meld timelines together somehow, like a "dragon break" in Elder Scrolls, which would be neat. Honestly I'd say that it isn't supposed to be in any timeline and just stands alone if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo clearly cares about the timeline so it probably has a vaguely canonical place.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't paid attention in the other 3D Zeldas but Link is almost a full head shorter than every adult. I guess people were smaller a century ago.

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm super interested in how this game came about at all. For literally 20 years Nintendo has been walking away from the "total freedom" approach that Zelda 1 pioneered, and now bam, we're back with the freest Zelda title of all time. Was it sales numbers - did Skyward Sword sell less than expected? Or have Nintendo employees been monitoring online communities and seeing people's complaints about the extreme linearity and handholding of recent titles? Or were people inside Nintendo unhappy with the recent zeldas and wanted a change?

Either way they did a good thing because this is one of the best games of all time and Skyward Sword without the "zelda" name would have been a C- action title that nobody cared about!

According to Aonuma, he wanted to rethink Zelda and carry on the non-linear aspect of A Link Between Worlds. He specifically cites Skyrim for its exploration and Monster Hunter for its system driven gameplay, but didn't like how the systems were a gate to progress. So with the Switch finally dropping the tether to the Wii they could make a game as huge as the biggest non-linear RPGs but create a rule-driven game world instead of a systems driven one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Harrow posted:

koroks and rito suggest a connection to Wind Waker.

Okay but both the Zora and Rito don't exist at the same time in Wind Waker; they evolved into Rito specifically so they could escape the now barren and mostly empty oceans.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

I haven't paid attention in the other 3D Zeldas but Link is almost a full head shorter than every adult. I guess people were smaller a century ago.

He's only a teen right? That could explain it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I figured he would at least be 18 or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Okay but both the Zora and Rito don't exist at the same time in Wind Waker; they evolved into Rito specifically so they could escape the now barren and mostly empty oceans.

Yep, and that's the other wrinkle. It's why I'm assuming it's in the Twilight Princess timeline and not the Wind Waker one, or that it represents some sort of timeline merger just so that it can be the grandest of grand finales for both the child and adult timelines. My guess is that it's in the child (Twilight Princess) one and the rito came about in a different way, though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

al-azad posted:

In one of the memories you find out Zelda is a day short of 17 so yeah Link being around that age is probably correct.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah. In the plot they mention that he was a prodigy and was the youngest Hylian Knight ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Maybe Hylians keep getting taller as they age until they're super old and then they shrivel into a little cute raisin person like Link's grandma in Wind Waker.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lol just lol if you don't cut trees down with your master sword because you know it will regenerate soon enough and need sticks to light a stupid series of braziers.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, today was Operation Map This loving Kingdom. I literally just went in and scoped as many towers as I could with map pins and tried my damnedest to get to each one, avoiding every encounter because, again, weak as gently caress. I like how even the towers are little puzzles, like the one in the desert surrounded by the tar pit, or the one in Hyrule Field protected by Guardian turrets.

Did run into a couple glitches though; one of the shrines failed to spawn the orange sphere that would allow me to complete it, and I spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress before I just reloaded and it was there. Bad Nintendo! :sad:

Also, after exploring the lofty desert peaks, for some reason I seem to have gotten stuck with the "snow" ambience being on at almost all times. The only time it goes away now is when another effect supersedes it, like rain. It's kinda weird to have frosty fog and little white snow particles appearing in an 85 degree jungle. :raise:

Anybody else run into that problem? Playing the Wii U version, btw. It persisted though a reload, so I'm gonna try to cut the game off and see if that helps.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Also if you get the full zora set and upgrade it you don't need a korok leaf in your inventory since you can swim anywhere and kill anything.

The set bonuses are legit great, shame climber set can't also give cold protection.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Count Bleck posted:

the hylain oppositonist to evolution asks "if ritos evolved from zoras, then why do we still have zoras" smugly

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Harrow posted:

Yep, and that's the other wrinkle. It's why I'm assuming it's in the Twilight Princess timeline and not the Wind Waker one, or that it represents some sort of timeline merger just so that it can be the grandest of grand finales for both the child and adult timelines. My guess is that it's in the child (Twilight Princess) one and the rito came about in a different way, though.

Downfall is my guess. Way way after Zelda 2.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At what point can I use my 8-bit link amiibo? If I go to the amiibo menu on the main screen it tells me I'm not far enough in the game yet?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spergatory posted:

Did run into a couple glitches though; one of the shrines failed to spawn the orange sphere that would allow me to complete it, and I spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out what the gently caress before I just reloaded and it was there. Bad Nintendo! :sad:

In a game I am goddamn adoring, this is (related to) one of my biggest complaints so far. loving orange spheres, stop rolling off! :argh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At what point can I use my 8-bit link amiibo? If I go to the amiibo menu on the main screen it tells me I'm not far enough in the game yet?

I'm wondering about this too, and also if there's a list of amiibos that work. The only Zelda-related one I have is the Toon Link amiibo from Smash Bros. :v:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

al-azad posted:

Humans don't typically stop growing until about 20-21, at least for men, so.

Every link has been at least a bit shorter than the adult models on the major consoles. Except where he's obviously a kid, then very obviously shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also if you get the full zora set and upgrade it you don't need a korok leaf in your inventory since you can swim anywhere and kill anything.

The set bonuses are legit great, shame climber set can't also give cold protection.

Where do you get the other pieces of Zora armor?