Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, some people are just short okay? Leave Link alone! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
^^^ lol, most of my coworkers and myself are shorter than 5'3". I know short.

Grabbing stuff off shelves is hard :(:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At what point can I use my 8-bit link amiibo? If I go to the amiibo menu on the main screen it tells me I'm not far enough in the game yet?

Have you gotten out of the great plateau? Afaik, you can't use amiibos at all there.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 6, 2017

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Your Computer posted:

I'm wondering about this too, and also if there's a list of amiibos that work. The only Zelda-related one I have is the Toon Link amiibo from Smash Bros. :v:

Just about every amiibo figurine or card will at least give you something, even if non-Zelda ones give you really low-quality rewards. Waluigi gave me some food that really helped out when I was playing early on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I promised my girlfriend I wouldn't play too much Zelda without her because she loves watching both Zelda games and open world games, but I'm home sick with a hosed-up knee today and it's a real struggle. I'm trying to soothe the Zelda jitters with Horizon but jumping between the two control schemes is... challenging.

ComposerGuy posted:

Downfall is my guess. Way way after Zelda 2.

That's pretty possible, too. I will say there's a very strong hint in-game that it's in the same timeline as Twilight Princess, though I won't spoil where or what that hint is.

I know Zelda timeline stuff is vague at best and nonsense at worst, but I do find it interesting to look for the clues, especially since it's clear there's actually supposed to be one and it isn't just fans loving around now.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 6, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatory Toast posted:

Have you gotten out of the great plateau? Afaik, you can't use amiibos at all there.

I could've sworn I tried it after leaving and it still didn't work, but honestly I kinda forgot about the feature until now. Oops :v:

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Waluigi gave me some food that really helped out when I was playing early on.

Aww, that's very sweet him of him :3:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone else play for a long time and get like four loving blood moon cutscenes in the same in game day?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Harrow posted:

I know Zelda timeline stuff is vague at best and nonsense at worst, but I do find it interesting to look for the clues, especially since it's clear there's actually supposed to be one and it isn't just fans loving around now.

I wish they hadn't done the timeline at all, honestly. It feels like, to someone like me who played the original back in the 80s, that they just went "OK, yeah, so all the games pre-OoT? gently caress them, they're off on their own and can stay there and we're just gonna pretend they aren't a thing" and most of the younger fans seem to think that's cool and good.

Yeah? Well gently caress you kids on my lawn! I'll put this game wherever I drat well please!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I'm just in it for the call backs, tbh. I'm a slut for Nintendo nostalgia.

Lake hylia and the bridge are real close to tp models, which is super nice as someone who faffed around that area a lot

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Anyone else play for a long time and get like four loving blood moon cutscenes in the same in game day?

I got 2 only 2 minutes apart. Was really weird

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think wearing the upgraded Sheika armor makes Yiga clan attack you all the time. I've been able to replicate it.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Also re: the timeline, my theory is nerds ruin everything by trying to fit everything into a nice little box. The series is much more fun when you don't think about it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
So here's a couple pieces of advice from my marathon session over the weekend:

1. Don't worry about selling poo poo (yes, even diamonds). Everything is farmable and there's lots of places in the world that have high concentrations of the good poo poo, you just need to find them and mark them. That last bit is extremely important. You should be marking every location that has a high density of good stuff (rarer ingredients, ore nodes, etc). If it's out in the world it generally respawns and you can just check back every now and then to restock.

2. Use your Tracker! Once you get the upgrade to your Sheikah Slate, you can track anything you've taken a picture of (by the way, you should be taking pictures of everything, it's easy and just takes a second). Need some fuckin lizard to upgrade your climbing gear? Just track that poo poo, go to the region the compendium says they are common too, and get a bunch. Super easy and saves you a ton of time.

3. Get gear! Having the right equipment makes life so much easier. I highly recommend the Sheikah set at the least. Having max stealth permanently means you can just gather bugs and lizards and poo poo casually while you run around, which really adds up over time. Not to mention being able to sneak up on monsters and one-shot them or stealthily snipe lookouts.

4. Upgrade gear! Having an upgraded set of "combat" gear like the basic Hylian set or the guard set will do wonders for your survivability. Additionally, once you can get level 2 gear, the set bonuses are really sweet. The Sheikah set gives you a high level speed boost at night for example. It's awesome! Not all gear has bonuses though, although most "full sets" (ie: Sheikah gear, climbing gear, Zora gear, etc) do. Still, even the no bonus sets (like the Hylian gear or guard gear) get BIG jumps in defense, so upgrade upgrade upgrade!

5. Everything is a Korok. They are everywhere and while it doesn't hurt to grab as many as you can, don't stress them either. Just mark them on your map and come back later.

6. Finally: Use your map markers! Not just the big beacons but the little stamps too. This game is way too big to remember everything and having a map peppered with little markers is awesome.

Harrow posted:

The shrines are really cool and offer what I think are some of the more clever puzzles I've seen in Zelda games. But I agree with someone from the chat thread (I don't remember who) who said it'd be cool if they combined all the shrines in each region into a dungeon instead of individual shrines. That'd be enough shrines to make several good-sized dungeons. Just have each one give the equivalent of two spirit orb upgrades or something so you have the same upgrade mechanic.

I'm a little torn in that it's cool to hunt down individual shrines, but collecting puzzles like these into themed collections for dungeons would've been awesome.

It wouldn't work for a couple of reasons (most of which have been brought up already I assume, thread is moving quick). First, shrines also function as fast-travel points and they are pretty strategically placed with that in mind. Secondly, it's already fairly common to be full on gear when you enter a shrine and be forced to drop something to get a chest reward (if it's equipment). Putting all of those rewards into a longer dungeon means you'd have to completely empty your inventory before going in. Finally there's just the pacing/theme concerns where the little puzzles are very fun and tie into the specific shrines theme, a lot of that would be lost if they were amalgamated into a big mega shrine. Thankfully there are four big dungeons in the game if that is your jam.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Obligatory Toast posted:

Also re: the timeline, my theory is nerds ruin everything by trying to fit everything into a nice little box. The series is much more fun when you don't think about it.

Nintendo should have just gone "yeah everything is in the same timeline but these are *legends* passed down in Hyrule over eons so poo poo inevitably changes when you're playing a massive game of telephone". Done.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Obligatory Toast posted:

All the guardian loot is used to construct ancient items that are effective against guardians, and will boost your defense against them. Robbie runs a lab in akkala that you can get them from at one hell of a loving cost.

Horns and fangs are used in elixirs and some crafting. If the item description says "it might have another use" then it's for crafting. Elixirs can be cooked, crafting is done through great fairies once you've paid to revive them.

Makes sense to me, thank you!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

I wish they hadn't done the timeline at all, honestly. It feels like, to someone like me who played the original back in the 80s, that they just went "OK, yeah, so all the games pre-OoT? gently caress them, they're off on their own and can stay there and we're just gonna pretend they aren't a thing" and most of the younger fans seem to think that's cool and good.

Yeah? Well gently caress you kids on my lawn! I'll put this game wherever I drat well please!

Yeah, I can't argue with that. Given just how tenuous all the connections are I really don't think there was a need for a timeline at all. Sometimes it's cool to have individual games take place in the same world, like obviously Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to OoT and Zelda 2 is a direct sequel to the original, but they don't all need to connect. I also like the recurring races and creatures, but nobody's putting every Final Fantasy game in a timeline and they've all got chocobos and most of them have moogles, not to mention a ton of recurring monster types. Just let them be separate legends that all happen to be about a place named Hyrule and some heroes named Zelda and Link.

Obligatory Toast posted:

This was what I thought about the timeline stuff before Nintendo themselves weighed in on it. I wouldn't care at all if it was all fan theorizing. I still don't care all that much but I'm definitely curious where Nintendo intends Breath of the Wild to fit.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Timeline Talk:
I think this is Child Link time branch, for a couple reasons.
Reason 1: I haven't seen the phrase "Hero of Time" appear even once.
Reason 2: The event 100 years ago that left Hyrule in its present state just strikes me in general as the parallel timeline "similar but different" event that made the King in Adult Link time branch say, "gently caress it! O Triforce hear my wish to freeze my castle in time and flood the planet."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game is the best thing ever. It has exceeded all my expectations.

I've never before in an open world game felt compelled to just walk around and see poo poo because there's almost always something going on no matter where you go. I don't know exact;y how many hours I'm in, but gently caress me I only just now got to Zora's Domain and I ended up there by accident because I was clearing shrines in an area and some Zora's popped up and said they needed a hand. I was in actuality trying to go to Goron City because initially I felt it would be weird if I played a Zelda game that didn't progress exactly "find Kakariko village -> immediately travel to Goron City". But I'm now totally down with how it worked out.

I'm also terrible at catching bugs I never remember to do it and I want to stockpile elixers very bad but :negative: Is the best way to do this just to snap pictures of the bugs and then go on a collecting spree?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ComposerGuy posted:

Nintendo should have just gone "yeah everything is in the same timeline but these are *legends* passed down in Hyrule over eons so poo poo inevitably changes when you're playing a massive game of telephone". Done.

I always assumed (in my own head cannon) each Zelda game is a retelling of the same story.

Works pretty well.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Harrow posted:

This was what I thought about the timeline stuff before Nintendo themselves weighed in on it. I wouldn't care at all if it was all fan theorizing. I still don't care all that much but I'm definitely curious where Nintendo intends Breath of the Wild to fit.

The nerd gnashing of teeth when Nintendo revealed it was 3 timelines instead of two was great though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Timeline Talk:
I think this is Child Link time branch, for a couple reasons.
Reason 1: I haven't seen the phrase "Hero of Time" appear even once.
Reason 2: The event 100 years ago that left Hyrule in its present state just strikes me in general as the parallel timeline "similar but different" event that made the King in Adult Link time branch say, "gently caress it! O Triforce hear my wish to freeze my castle in time and flood the planet."

There is also a cutscene where Zelda makes clear references to Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and (most importantly) Twilight Princess as events that took place in the world she lives in. The inclusion of Twilight Princess says it's the Child Timeline.

Ohtsam posted:

The nerd gnashing of teeth when Nintendo revealed it was 3 timelines instead of two was great though.

That was my favorite part.

Did fan theorists figure out the timeline split at OoT themselves? Because if so I'm surprised they were right. Either that or Nintendo heard that and said "yeah, good enough, but we can't let them be too right."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I delete photos from my slate do I keep their entries in the compendium? I'm full up on photos.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Beastie posted:

I always assumed (in my own head cannon) each Zelda game is a retelling of the same story.

Works pretty well.

I mean I'm fine with the "The Hero reincarnates over the ages when needed" thing. There just wasn't a need to split it all into a convoluted parallel dimension tree. Just go with the "many legends over many eons" thing. This is Hyrule's monomyth.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love how they named every little thing on the map, no matter where I zoom in it's a nostalgia bomb :3: The world is so huge too, so it's actually useful.

Whoever said that they wanted to make this:

was spot on. I've always loved the linear Zelda games (except Skyward Sword, gorgeous but awful game) but this game really recaptures the sense of awe and discovery from the first game. I've actually used pen and paper to help me with puzzles and keeping notes! :kimchi:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After playing a bunch of this, I do sorta wish I'd gotten a Switch for this anyway because getting to play this game handheld would be incredible.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Where do you get the other pieces of Zora armor?

You get the chest from the main quest, the head from a lake to the north of Zora's Domain - use your magnet.. You can get the pants (I think) from a quest to take a pic of a Lynel that you get from a Zora in the Domain.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Your Computer posted:

I love how they named every little thing on the map, no matter where I zoom in it's a nostalgia bomb :3: The world is so huge too, so it's actually useful.

Whoever said that they wanted to make this:

was spot on. I've always loved the linear Zelda games (except Skyward Sword, gorgeous but awful game) but this game really recaptures the sense of awe and discovery from the first game. I've actually used pen and paper to help me with puzzles and keeping notes! :kimchi:

Yeah, this.

I first played Zelda 1 when I was 5 years old, back in 1988 and played Zelda 2 not long after.

This game has almost completely re-created the feeling I had as a small child playing these games back in the 80s, just that instead of needing my imagination to conjure the huge world I was exploring, the technology can do that now.

This *feels* like how it felt to play Zelda 1 and (to a lesser extent) 2 to me. It's incredible.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

cheesetriangles posted:

Where do you get the other pieces of Zora armor?

Idk about the headwear but you get the legs from doing the lynel picture sidequest

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I played this for about 5 hours in the truck today. Am making good progress! Car chargers work great, kept the system at 100% the whole way.

I have the dodge>flurry timing on the combat shrines nailed and they're now really easy for me. Just slammed my way through a Major.

Also got the Lynel timing down and killed him! That fucker!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Anyone know why my Wolf Link has 20 hearts if I never touched the Cave of Shadows in TPHD?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Harrow posted:

There is also a cutscene where Zelda makes clear references to Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and (most importantly) Twilight Princess as events that took place in the world she lives in. The inclusion of Twilight Princess says it's the Child Timeline.

That was my favorite part.

Did fan theorists figure out the timeline split at OoT themselves? Because if so I'm surprised they were right. Either that or Nintendo heard that and said "yeah, good enough, but we can't let them be too right."

The timeline split was figured out by fans and did make a lot of sense given the ending of OOT. Nintendo had already known where games fall on the timeline of hyrule (at least as of circa 2003) but it's not considered that important.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ComposerGuy posted:

To add to this, maybe each unconventional one might be a particular culture's version.

Wind Waker might be the Zora one.
Skyward Sword might be the Rito one.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i like that it doesn't really matter 'which' timeline this one belongs to because it takes place WAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy the gently caress after all the other games, like crazy far in the future

played far too much since release and finally beat it

sad zelda finally smiled yay :3:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
While we're talking about timelines and progression and stuff, can we stop for a second and admire the enemy designs?

This is the first 3D Zelda with Lynels and they're loving terrifying. It's a really fitting vision of the enemy designed to kick your rear end if you wandered too deep into the world in Zelda 1.
Also, especially in the tapestry, but in person a little, too, I appreciate how the Guardians, especially the small ones, you can kinda see how they combined ideas from Armos Knights and those cyclops statues that shoot fireballs.

The bokoblins always look like they're having such a good time before they've spotted you. Just a bunch of goblin bros, having a BBQ cookout party under the watchful eye of Big Bro Moblin :kimchi:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

zelda is dark souls with beating ganon instead of linking the fire

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

While we're talking about timelines and progression and stuff, can we stop for a second and admire the enemy designs?

This is the first 3D Zelda with Lynels and they're loving terrifying. It's a really fitting vision of the enemy designed to kick your rear end if you wandered too deep into the world in Zelda 1.

I still haven't killed one of those fuckers. I'm just avoiding them for now with their rear end in a top hat ice arrows.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 6, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
also now that i've beaten it i'm like 98% sure that if it is possible to get off the plateau without the paraglider (and i feel like it should be since there are stamina shrooms on the plateau) you can beat the game without a single rune

want to see the low % speedrun

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone know why my Wolf Link has 20 hearts if I never touched the Cave of Shadows in TPHD?

I haven't seen anyone say theirs doesn't have 20 hearts. Pretty sure the game shipped with code that says ANY tphd save = 20 heart wolf link. Mine has 20 as well and I'm the same as you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What materials do you need to upgrade the Sheikah stealth outfit? I'm about to sell some stuff to buy it but I'd be annoyed if I ended up selling something I need to upgrade it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

deadly_pudding posted:

The bokoblins always look like they're having such a good time before they've spotted you. Just a bunch of goblin bros, having a BBQ cookout party under the watchful eye of Big Bro Moblin :kimchi:

There's just something so satisfying about sneaking up on one of their skull caves and shooting loose one of the lanterns hanging in the eye sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I've only found one upgrade fairy and I've explored most of the east half of the continent. Can anyone point me in the general compass direction where I can find a second one?

Also not sure how people can claim the framerate doesn't bother them. Went into Lost Woods and the area with the master sword was like constant 10-15 FPS.