Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jose posted:

does anyone have the post of the goon who hadn't seen their roommate in a while and when they smelled something nasty they finally went in the room and they'd been dead a while?

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This happened to me in college with a friend of mine, it's a pretty traumatic experience to be honest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This happened to me in college with a friend of mine, it's a pretty traumatic experience to be honest.

especially if you're the one who your roommates find dead in your room

doubly so if you died while jerking it to some anime

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ariong posted:

Whenever a derail starts up in this forum, there are a few famous (:P) derails that people reference. There's one that I'm not familiar with, the "hot dogs are sandwiches" derail. can someone link me to this derail?

if i recall correctly it is currently derailing in this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=170#post470023442

any time the derail ends it simply moves to another thread, learning, getting stronger.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alaois posted:

"hot dogs are sandwiches" didn't start here, it's something that suddenly became a Thing on the internet a little while ago

Fat former Goon Jeb Lund made a loving column about it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plutonis posted:

is a hot dog a sandwich? Does Jeb Lund sexually harass women? The answers are out there somewhere

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

I believe it was actually it was just that one poster (not a mod) who demanded that in a DnD USPOL thread and several of the future TGRS mods/posters were the ones telling him to get bent, back before that forum ever existed.

gfsincere/negromancer getting banned because he accused Lowtax of loving around with CC info was one of the things that precipitated the creation of the forum

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I heard but I'm not even looking. gently caress it. I have avs off anyway because that poo poo's annoying. An admin doxxed the credit card that bought my account and my IP info and is passing it around on offsites because they're mad at some person I'm not who was apparently getting them salty before I had so much as a facebook account. I get a pm inbox full of rape and death threats and gore but it's not actionable because "you can't prove anything." I'm not putting my own money into this shithole.

"Don't take the bait." gently caress all of you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

No mods or admins have access to your credit card information, or any other user's. I just want to make sure everyone knows this. We do not see this information at all ever. It is not associated with your account. There are actual federal regulations dealing with how CC information is handled.

negromancer posted:

As someone who worked at Steadfast (where the servers for this site are housed), that isn't true at all.

Subjunctive posted:

How would the hosting provider know? Are they looking at private customer data?

negromancer posted:

Because

a) the actual factual servers are there
b) places like steadfast do more than just swap out hard drives. It was expected to do pretty much whatever was asked by the customers, and the concept of within reason hadn't made it to this company.
c) I work in information security and I'm not an idiot and know more about PCI-DSS and CC processing regulatory stuff than most, considering a former boss helped write the poo poo.

zen death robot posted:

*leans into mic*

WRONG

zen death robot posted:

Negromancer you are painfully full of poo poo and I already called you out on this once. gently caress off before I ban you for spreading bullshit info to scare people.

zen death robot posted:

If you helped write any of that code then you're radium and you should be ashamed of yourself.

negromancer posted:

Especially if the customer is losing their poo poo about something being hosed up on the server and threatening to leave. The higher ups would tell you "just log in as root and fix it".

Literally any steadfast employee has root access, on top of anyone who may have written down passwords or created user accounts on the servers themselves (lol if you think they do password rotations on every server). And of course whoever Lowtax has given access to.

I'm not getting paid to do that, so no.

Maybe. I don't remember every ticket I did for Lowtax, but I feel like I've actually done something on the load balancers at one point.

Yes, and they don't use a direct payment processor. Data is still retained by Lowtax (for accounting purposes). And 2 years ago the CDE was not separated properly from the rest of the environment, so...

The first rule of internet security is physical access is full access. And the reasons why we would log into customers servers is because most hosting customers are dumb as the gently caress. They forget passwords, wipe out data, gently caress up configs, etc

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

negromancer posted:

Oh yeah, we basically have root access. They just PXE boot servers that generate a random root password that gets emailed to the customer and automatically put in Ubersmith.

And no I didn't write any code for this forum. But poo poo would go down from time to time (usually at night) and Lowtax would call or email and Id work with him to figure out whatever was hosed up.

But no, there were never any access reviews or any of that poo poo there, which was one of the issues I brought up. It's painfully easy to backdoor clients and no one would know.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, then somebody should investigate Steadfast if they're violating compliance laws. That has nothing to do with the admins here. We do not have access to CC info.

Lowtax posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, I have never seen anybody's full CC information, much less ever stored it for "accounting purposes" you lying idiot.

zen death robot posted:

That guy was just painfully full of poo poo although I wish FAU would have let him argue with me and Lowtax a bit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Mar 6, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Plutonis posted:

PPP polling polled about it. (Mexican Americans are most consistent in the belief that hot dog is not a sandwich.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

PPP polling polled about it. (Mexican Americans are most consistent in the belief that hot dog is not a sandwich.)

see this is why diversity is important.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mexicans have at least 3 different types of "meat inside baked grains" that they don't consider sandwiches so it's not too surprising

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

gfsincere/negromancer getting banned because he accused Lowtax of loving around with CC info was one of the things that precipitated the creation of the forum

Midway through this back n forth necromancer posted a pic of his old business card, all info visible, to prove he used to work there. This made it extra easy when lowtax called them up to ask about their questionable hiring and possible security issues / fantasy security issues.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did Lowtax actually do that though?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is sort of funny that some people think that there might be some great conspiracy of SA collecting info on users when the forum can't even track who bought a custom title.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nenonen posted:

especially if you're the one who your roommates find dead in your room

doubly so if you died while jerking it to some anime

i think it might have been a post in the lady thread when it was in gbs in case anyone is trying to find it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think the paranonoia around it is justified by the fact that you tend to see minority voices getting doxxed and harassed online so much. I haven't literally had people PM me death threats or photos of what they think is my house to intimidate me, so it would be easy for me to think the concern is way overblown. But if someone is getting harassed like this just for opening their mouth, especially when there is an offsite group that was dedicated to doxxing people they didn't like, then it makes sense to draw that type of conclusion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jose posted:

does anyone have the post of the goon who hadn't seen their roommate in a while and when they smelled something nasty they finally went in the room and they'd been dead a while?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585136&userid=109351#post431520391

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Hogge Wild posted:

my favourite is tiny brontosaur who is a rich white girl larping being black and who doxxes and sends death threats to other goons

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Please (in the future) source your quotes n' facts for the PYF saga thread.

Ban reason:
"Long string of horrible posting spanning multiple threads for a very long time."

Hell, in that case there goes most of GBS! :cheers:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

As sad as that is to begin with, the tiny bit of info about having known someone for 20 years and being their roommate, and not knowing their age or birthday manages to stand out as sad, still.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I like "Nostradingus"

As it was foretold...

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The dead roommate thing came from the GBS lady chat thread. I'm on my phone and can't find it atm but it should be pretty easy to locate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A Spider Covets posted:

The dead roommate thing came from the GBS lady chat thread. I'm on my phone and can't find it atm but it should be pretty easy to locate.

Yeah especially when you just gotta scroll up to where I posted it!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Please (in the future) source your quotes n' facts for the PYF saga thread.

Ban reason:
"Long string of horrible posting spanning multiple threads for a very long time."

Hell, in that case there goes most of GBS! :cheers:

yeah seriously if you make terrible posting bannable then PYF withers and dies

i cite the following as evidence

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Posting about anime is not against the rules. Please stop reporting people for posting about anime.

which is terrible for at least two reasons

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah especially when you just gotta scroll up to where I posted it!!!

Which page though? That just links to the first page

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love the shame thread so much. Because despite it not being against the rules to post gifs/memes/whatever outside their dedicated threads people apparently still report them because they don't fit the thread theme and God forbid that happen.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

timefly posted:

Which page though? That just links to the first page

Maybe it doesn't work on the app, but it links to just the posts of the person who posted it, and automatically jump to the first post re: her flatmate.

It's page 3495.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lol:

quote:

Now the thing is I'm really not sure if I should call him, I mean, if he is dead no biggie, but if he is not, what am I telling him?
When faced with a choice between human interaction or death, a goon sees one option as way easier to deal with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol thanks jeffrey. did you have it saved or just know what to search for?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

Did Lowtax actually do that though?

Yes, he did, and I believe they responded along the lines of this employee has been terminated due to professional misconduct.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe it doesn't work on the app, but it links to just the posts of the person who posted it, and automatically jump to the first post re: her flatmate.

It's page 3495.

I can confirm that, for whatever reason, showing just someone's posts from a link doesn't work on Awful Android app. Doing it while in a thread sort of works, but also manages to kind of get screwy at times.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jose posted:

lol thanks jeffrey. did you have it saved or just know what to search for?

I am the chosen one, destined to unite the tribes and google "somethingawful roommate dead".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

which is terrible for at least two reasons

I must agree on this one since if posting anime in the non-anime fori is not bannable then why is anything. Anime is by far the worst thing on this planet if DOTA is not counted.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I should go through all 133 pages of this thread for it but it's worth repeating if anyone missed it.

Groverhaus, and particularly the Groverhaus thread that precipitated LF being closed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I am the chosen one, destined to unite the tribes and google "somethingawful roommate dead".

i was at work and assumed i'd be searching something far more convoluted that should wait until i got home

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fabricated posted:

I should go through all 133 pages of this thread for it but it's worth repeating if anyone missed it.

Groverhaus, and particularly the Groverhaus thread that precipitated LF being closed.
the last grover discussion happened three pages ago

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3784826&perpage=40&pagenumber=130

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, he did, and I believe they responded along the lines of this employee has been terminated due to professional misconduct.

If companies can't even disclose the reason they fired someone to another employer, why would they be telling Lowtax this information?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I must agree on this one since if posting anime in the non-anime fori is not bannable then why is anything. Anime is by far the worst thing on this planet if DOTA is not counted.

Why wouldn't we count DotA

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know, it's possible I misremember.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Where did you hear this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Why wouldn't we count DotA

You are right, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Where did you hear this?

Either lowtax or some admin posted a mail snapshot in QCS.