Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Tato posted:

After the latest Clone Conspiracy I'm tickled to see how Ben can be redeemed into a heroic character, as this series has painted him as a thoroughly repugnant piece of poo poo who nearly destroyed the world, and this is coming from someone who really really liked Ben as the Scarlet Spider. Pretty blah chapter but I did enjoy seeing Otto flip his lid that anyone would dare insult any part of Anna Maria.

Didn't Otto literally try to kill the world by way of deadly solar radiation before body-snatching his way into superherodom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am willing to give Scarlet Spider a shot but holy poo poo Ben is just not remotely an interesting character. Even his evil isn't interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

KaosMachina posted:

Didn't Otto literally try to kill the world by way of deadly solar radiation before body-snatching his way into superherodom?

Even the point of the body snatching hero was that he is a brutal bastard who wasn't a hero at all.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Maybe you don't read the main Marvel thread but:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
So what was Jackal's master plan? Just "make everyone Carrion zombies because I love death"?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think Jackal has had a real plan outside his original appearance.

Even then it kind of unravels,

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The conspiracy was awful, even though we all knew ahead of time it would be. That's impressive.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, Clone Conspiracy managed to underperform expectations. Which, given how low expectations were to begin with, is pretty impressive.

It was at least pretty-looking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, Clone Conspiracy managed to underperform expectations. Which, given how low expectations were to begin with, is pretty impressive.

It was at least pretty-looking.

Actual sales are pretty bad too.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
What a complete and total non-ending. I'm not sure how they think anyone who read this would be anticipating and/or buy Scarlet Spider.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

`spose if Brock has to be back as Venom we might as well get some good art out of it (for one issue...?)

https://twitter.com/TraddMoore/status/832310679017291776

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

`spose if Brock has to be back as Venom we might as well get some good art out of it (for one issue...?)

https://twitter.com/TraddMoore/status/832310679017291776

Is he going to be back as Venom permanently or is this just a history of Venom leading to Brock, but not Brock in the symbiote, coming back? Cause that's definitely a "history of venom" splash thing there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is he going to be back as Venom permanently or is this just a history of Venom leading to Brock, but not Brock in the symbiote, coming back? Cause that's definitely a "history of venom" splash thing there.

It's a history of both of them, which is fitting if they're ending back up together. We don't see the beginning with Peter's time with the symbiote but we see other people the symbiote has been with, and its spawn, and we see Brock's time both before the symbiote and after they had separated.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Did they ever reveal how Flash lost Venom?

I mean, there have been times in the past where I wondered why the classic Venom/Lethal Protector formula was given up on, but I really enjoyed Flash's run. It feels like he had more books as Venom than Brock did and they had a better critical reception throughout. Probably the best Venom run come to think of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remender's run is easily the best run of Venom, without any real competition. I mean there were a few pretty good to great comics featuring Eddie Brock as Venom, but they were few and far between. Flash Venom was loving great under Remender. Not so great under Bunn, but probably better than like, 3/4 of Eddie's stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chickenwalker posted:

Did they ever reveal how Flash lost Venom?

I mean, there have been times in the past where I wondered why the classic Venom/Lethal Protector formula was given up on, but I really enjoyed Flash's run. It feels like he had more books as Venom than Brock did and they had a better critical reception throughout. Probably the best Venom run come to think of it.

He put the symbiote up for auction in Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He put the symbiote up for auction in Millar's run on Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

You mean Brock for that, right, not Flash?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah he misread. I don't think they've revealed where Flash is yet. I do think Brock getting the symbiote back in its current state of being reformed would be interesting. Unlike the murderer who currently has it, Brock would probably listen to reason but still need guidance. It would be a cool new take on the Lethal Protector stuff.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah he misread. I don't think they've revealed where Flash is yet. I do think Brock getting the symbiote back in its current state of being reformed would be interesting. Unlike the murderer who currently has it, Brock would probably listen to reason but still need guidance. It would be a cool new take on the Lethal Protector stuff.

The voice in your head telling you not to just murder that mugger could be a fun twist.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I just finished Clone Conspiracy. God drat it was AWFUL. It didn't resolve anything and it supposedly killed Doc Ock after bringing him back.

Only thing I enjoyed was the art.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Vince MechMahon posted:

It looks like they're undoing all the reformation the symbiote went through in this bridge series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It looks like they're undoing all the reformation the symbiote went through in this bridge series.

And doing so in the worst way possible.

I admit I haven't read as much of Venom's stuff as I probably would have liked to over the years, but coming from Flash to this new series has been absolutely awful. It really reads like some edgy 13 year old's fanfiction, and not in a funny way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

I just wanted to make sure Marvel wasn't doing a reference to Brock doing the same thing, you never know.

Shinjobi posted:

And doing so in the worst way possible.

I admit I haven't read as much of Venom's stuff as I probably would have liked to over the years, but coming from Flash to this new series has been absolutely awful. It really reads like some edgy 13 year old's fanfiction, and not in a funny way.

Yeah, i gave up on it after issue 2. It's so frigging bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RandallODim posted:

The voice in your head telling you not to just murder that mugger could be a fun twist.

They did that with Deathlok.

Clone Conspiracy had a crap ending, but the art was good, and I enjoyed seeing all the old faces again. The signal possibly wrecking the webware is going to be the convenient way to make Peter broke again probably.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

They did that with Deathlok.

Clone Conspiracy had a crap ending, but the art was good, and I enjoyed seeing all the old faces again. The signal possibly wrecking the webware is going to be the convenient way to make Peter broke again probably.

A rich CEO running a company which has a horrifying disaster that injures or kills a lot of people NOT escaping with a golden parachute is somehow more implausible than a man who sticks to walls and is psychic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Oops.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pubic works project posted:

I just finished Clone Conspiracy. God drat it was AWFUL. It didn't resolve anything and it supposedly killed Doc Ock after bringing him back.

Having not read the comic since the bodysnatcher stuff that last part at least would make me happy. Not because I wanted to see doc get his comeuppance but because I think he is just a boring and terrible legacy character that should have been left by the sidelines years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vince MechMahon posted:

I wonder if Flash is going to get Toxin, since that was always supposed to be a 'good' symbiote.

pubic works project posted:

evilmiera posted:

Having not read the comic since the bodysnatcher stuff that last part at least would make me happy. Not because I wanted to see doc get his comeuppance but because I think he is just a boring and terrible legacy character that should have been left by the sidelines years ago.
I suspect that both Ben & Otto are going to be stuck in the protoclone/Spidercide 2.0's body for Superior Scarlet Spider.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Well, pretty close! Otto gets the uber-clone body and Ben sticks around in his current body that could potentially destabilize again. Also after "killing" Miles Warren he vows to put the clone poo poo behind him and start living his OWN life...which puts him exactly where he was the first time he left town to forge his own life, only this time after nearly murdering the entire world and feeling no remorse for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tato posted:

Well, pretty close! Otto gets the uber-clone body and Ben sticks around in his current body that could potentially destabilize again. Also after "killing" Miles Warren he vows to put the clone poo poo behind him and start living his OWN life...which puts him exactly where he was the first time he left town to forge his own life, only this time after nearly murdering the entire world and feeling no remorse for it.

Still not feeling like new Ben is anything but budget Kaine which is really goddamn sad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, in the aftermath of Clone Conspiracy, I think Chris Yost's Clone Saga sequel idea would have been far superior:
https://twitter.com/yost/status/832395486527000577

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, in the aftermath of Clone Conspiracy, I think Chris Yost's Clone Saga sequel idea would have been far superior:
https://twitter.com/yost/status/832395486527000577

How much would you bet that it would feature the "Mr. Sinister Six" at some point?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

How much would you bet that it would feature the "Mr. Sinister Six" at some point?

I think you mean 'Sinister's Six'.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Too bad, I was looking forward to Otto and Ben sharing a body so I could push "Bento."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think you mean 'Sinister's Six'.

OK but only if Spider-Man points out that it's really awkward enunciating the two consecutive S's.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sinister's Six already happened in Spiderman and the XMen.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pureauthor posted:

Sinister's Six already happened in Spiderman and the XMen.

Yeah, but this story would have theoretically predated that one, since it was supposed to be a Scarlet Spider story.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I think reading this is the lowest I've felt about Spidey since Guggenheim was pushing BND issues with Freak.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

^burtle posted:

I think reading this is the lowest I've felt about Spidey since Guggenheim was pushing BND issues with Freak.

I mean, I always secretly feared my posting was garbage, but I didn't realise it was that bad! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I just noticed from the CBR preview that Hannah Blumenreich has a story in this week's issue of ASM, which is pretty rad.

She's got a bunch of fun Spider-Man fan comics on her Tumblr.

http://hannahblumenreich.tumblr.com/post/144836701928/dj-cue-the-jock-jams-please

• Locked thread