Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

People like people they like to like things they like so they can talk about things they like with people they like.

This is poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Show them the new Jojo's instead that anime is great.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Show them the 90s anime from the start through the first fight with Griffith. If that isn't sufficient hook, nothing else will be.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vedius Pollio posted:

Key visual for season 2 of the anime dropped today. Just to emphasize, this is supposed to be better looking than the actual anime.

:ughh:

why all those people cramping guts space when he tryin to unsheathe a 500-lb steel i-beam?

when he whips that thing out like he look like he gonna do, heads gonna roll like a cabbage cart lost a wheel.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tell them not to be babies and read the drat book with pictures

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When did the thread title change again?

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Last Celebration posted:

When did the thread title change again?

since i opened up the last sixpack of shochu. it was about since motoii decided to hop in, noticing a comment about now's must-watch jaapnimation, hunter2.

She's hard worker. People like that are deified in my tribe. \

I appreciate the double-neg, which suggests the hiatus will end during the fourth week of March, And I give a biig yorishiku to seifuku-sempai, for the cool new custom title and being an overall cool mod.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

tell them not to be babies and read the drat book with pictures

Every single manga i've read has been superior to the movie/anime related to it. Anyone who has a position of "I don't read manga" is a freaking idiot and shouldn't be taken seriously in regards to those things.

*edit

And you can read any manga online free so easily, its a no brainer

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This singlehandledly justifies watching the TV anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoA0xyW_vc

NWS for bare, poorly animated butt and CLANG

It still blows my mind how loving awful the animation is. Was this whole show made in Poser?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
FYI: I didn't like the new movies and only watched the first episode of the new series. But non-fans I've met liked them.

The new series is bad, like the that butt-clang is pretty funny in how it captures my impression of the show. But are other animes that much better? I haven't been blown away by an anime tv series but idk. I've felt like some media has to be drawn/produced well because that's all it has. Berserk has a good story so I figure they don't invest in the art as much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

temple posted:

But are other animes that much better?

Yes. Next question.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

temple posted:

But are other animes that much better? I haven't been blown away by an anime tv series but idk. I've felt like some media has to be drawn/produced well because that's all it has. Berserk has a good story so I figure they don't invest in the art as much.

This is incomprehensibly stupid. Anime, an animated medium, is very often defined by how well animated it is. Certainly there are shows with style over substance, but Berserk in particular is one of the most intricately, painstakingly gorgeously drawn manga ever made, so it having poo poo rear end cg is just depressing.

I hope you watch every minute of this poo poo heap.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

This is incomprehensibly stupid. Anime, an animated medium, is very often defined by how well animated it is. Certainly there are shows with style over substance, but Berserk in particular is one of the most intricately, painstakingly gorgeously drawn manga ever made, so it having poo poo rear end cg is just depressing.

I hope you watch every minute of this poo poo heap.
I will commit anime seppuku now

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes. Next question.
Which ones, tv shows at least.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The seasonal thread could help out with currently running ones, the chat thread for others ... hell, you could probably ask anywhere.

The best animation I've seen in a while was probably Flip Flappers (it's gorgeous), along with the Little Witch Academia OVAs. Currently running, Maid Dragon actually has very good animation and great sound design. Those are a couple recent examples, I'm tired and going to bed. I'm sure others will have more.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

But are other animes that much better? I haven't been blown away by an anime tv series but idk. I've felt like some media has to be drawn/produced well because that's all it has.

... so what have you watched? That would give a much better baseline for what could potentially blow you away than just any given recommendation, because there's literally decades worth of solid animated shows, both in and outside of Japan, and picking just one that's better than Berserk 2016 is like trying to pick a specific drop of water out of an ocean. At the very least, knowing which parts of the ocean you've swam in before would narrow down the list a bit.

temple posted:

Berserk has a good story so I figure they don't invest in the art as much.

That's not how anime production budgets work.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... so what have you watched? That would give a much better baseline for what could potentially blow you away than just any given recommendation, because there's literally decades worth of solid animated shows, both in and outside of Japan, and picking just one that's better than Berserk 2016 is like trying to pick a specific drop of water out of an ocean. At the very least, knowing which parts of the ocean you've swam in before would narrow down the list a bit.

That's not how anime production budgets work.

I recently watch some of Tokyo Ghoul. The art was better than berserk but wasn't stunning. I thought Cowboy Bebop was good but it is old now(I'm old).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Years ago. I wanted to start reading Berserk. Purchased volume 1, read it and then I kinda forgot about it. I want to get back to reading it. I have watched the movies, the old and new anime shows. Should I continue from Volume 2 or start post golden age?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sefal posted:

Years ago. I wanted to start reading Berserk. Purchased volume 1, read it and then I kinda forgot about it. I want to get back to reading it. I have watched the movies, the old and new anime shows. Should I continue from Volume 2 or start post golden age?

Read it all, the adaptations skipped a bunch of stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Flip Flappers and Sound! Euphonium are two near-polar-opposite flavours of spectacular, mouthwatering animation (attached to pretty good stories, as well). Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man might catch your fancy, too.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Sefal posted:

Continue to volume two because quite a few moments of character development and even a whole arc which happens to my personal favorite isn't in the animations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's pretty easy to see why adaptations keep skipping the Lost Children arc, though. 'Perma-naked child seductress villain' is a failrly obvious step too far for even a hard-MA franchise like Berssrk.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's pretty easy to see why adaptations keep skipping the Lost Children arc, though. 'Perma-naked child seductress villain' is a failrly obvious step too far for even a hard-MA franchise like Berssrk.
If they can change the Count in the 90s anime, I'm sure they can find a way to improve the public decency image of some naked children (maybe put some loin clothes on them like it's 1985 and be done with it). They could even skip the adult attack and just show the war scene to establish the social character of the children.

Next question.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Lepecard posted:

Continue to volume two because quite a few moments of character development and even a whole arc which happens to my personal favorite isn't in the animations.

Is a Wyald in anything other than the manga?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

The new game unfortunately.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

He's in the new game, but they drop the rape threat with Casca at least.

The fact that he's playable is more baffling than his inclusion at all. It's easier to make a videogame boss fight out of Wyald than out of the Bakiraka assassins. They're dropped in that section, though you fight Silat as a boss earlier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Begemot posted:

It's easier to make a videogame boss fight out of Wyald than out of the Bakiraka assassins.

... Need for Berserk Rising: Revengeance increases a further notch. I want to use blade mode to swizzle his rings on Guts fingers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was really disappointed I couldn't do that in the Musou game, those goddamn rings were annoying as poo poo to deal with

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
ok then this jabron really needs to read the golden age ark, if you think you got the whole story from the anime and movies you didn't.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jiGOOBVxUk

mother loving rofl at :19 when the camera zoomes in then out again, who directed this a 14 year old?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

mother loving rofl at :19 when the camera zoomes in then out again, who directed this a 14 year old?

The dude who directed actually supposedly has a pretty impressive resume in terms of 2D anime which only makes everything more confusing.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

That is the only part of the anime I watched, since it was the most conveniently posted and shortest and promised a fight scene. I think you can see glimpses of talent in there somewhere. But most of it is terrible. It just made me really sad that it wasn't done more competently.

e: I have seen only adult swim anime, if I like fight scenes, recommend me some animes to try out. Any kind of fighting. swords, karate, vehicles, as long as it's technically proficient and fun

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The dude who directed actually supposedly has a pretty impressive resume in terms of 2D anime which only makes everything more confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kVU8uNdic

This video sums it pretty well why this director's method of fast pace editing/cutting doesn't work very well in Berserk.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

That is the only part of the anime I watched, since it was the most conveniently posted and shortest and promised a fight scene. I think you can see glimpses of talent in there somewhere. But most of it is terrible. It just made me really sad that it wasn't done more competently.

e: I have seen only adult swim anime, if I like fight scenes, recommend me some animes to try out. Any kind of fighting. swords, karate, vehicles, as long as it's technically proficient and fun

Like you haven't seen Ninja Scroll... how old are you sir?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shindragon posted:

This video sums it pretty well why this director's method of fast pace editing/cutting doesn't work very well in Berserk.

Now you've brought it up, I remember this video. It's certainly worth watching and is good.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Shindragon posted:

super eyepatch wolf is a boss

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

That scene is bad rear end.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I picked up HxH and Hajime no Ippo because of Eyepatch Wolf. Dude has good taste and is good at explaining why you should give something a shot. He's the only anime youtuber that doesn't make me cringe.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Pewdiepie posted:

That scene is bad and rear end.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Nothing has weight, everything looks the like marionette that it is, and the camera is yes exactly what I'd expect out of a literal teenager.

I don't understand. I will not watch this anime. If I want more Berserk I'll just re-read the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pewdiepie posted:

That scene is bad

Wow it's worse than the hundred man fight from the movie. I mean why don't they just throw in a few spare bodies splitting in two (a la the tire effect) and call it quits. Not already knowing the story, there's very little motivation for what happens in the scene. "Yeap now I'm in the air over them even though there was 1/24sec where you might have been able to see them actually... attack".

Two minutes of that and now I need to read a volume just to purify myself.