Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
When you guys make peace deals do you stick to under 100% overextension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's usually a good idea, yes. You become eligible for some really bad events once you go over 100%, and it makes other nations more likely to form a coalition against you, not to mention the severe passive penalties.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Absolutely never go over 100% overextension unless you have extraordinary circumstances. The AI knows when you are overextended too, and they will be happy to dogpile you, while the terrible events are ripping your nation apart from the inside.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

It's usually a good idea, yes. You become eligible for some really bad events once you go over 100%, and it makes other nations more likely to form a coalition against you, not to mention the severe passive penalties.

Yeah I'd phrase it as "it's very very rarely a good idea to go over 99%"

Do it once just for the fun of it though (http://www.eu4wiki.com/Overextension_events)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Node posted:

I shrunk the picture in half, egypt is occupied. Literally everything is. Russia finally called the war and I got my tropical wood island. That war hosed the Ottomans up so much they lost Constantinople to Austria, and now they're the Revolutionary Ottomans.

...More powerful than you can possibly imagine. :unsmigghh:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fister Roboto posted:

Node posted:

Absolutely never go over 100% overextension unless you have extraordinary circumstances. The AI knows when you are overextended too, and they will be happy to dogpile you, while the terrible events are ripping your nation apart from the inside.

awesmoe posted:

Yeah I'd phrase it as "it's very very rarely a good idea to go over 99%"

Do it once just for the fun of it though (http://www.eu4wiki.com/Overextension_events)

well i ask but this guy goes hog wild with 166%

Detheros posted:

But being this large without Humanism sucks, ask me about having 18 revolts a year, every year for the past 100 years. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well he's also 10 years away from the end of the game. That's one of the edge cases where it's OK.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Do try it just once in a 1700s or 1800s run that you are over anyway. Worth seeing for fun.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Another edge case of going over 100% is if you plan on releasing a vassal with the land you just took.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another edge case is if you're like one month away from finishing coring a bunch of land from the last war, and so you'll only be above 100% for a very brief moment.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you're a horde and can raise the territory, it'll lower over extension too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can go a few months with no bad events, or half a year with almost none. It depends a lot on luck but for short periods it's usually not a problem at all.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Every now and then I'll forget and I'll tell myself "it's only 150% how bad could it be!" and then spend every second of the next few years doing nothing but draining my money and manpower fighting endless rebel stacks and thought to myself "ahh, yes, I remember now... that bad"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nothing beats the sheer terror of negotiating a peace deal after an exhausting hellwar and going "I want this, this, this, this and also this... oh sweet they'll accept", clicking "ok" then realizing you didn't pay attention to the OE and AE indicators.

I once found myself at 166% OE and target of a coalition of like 10 of the biggest nations around me. I somehow survived that but it's not something I want to do ever again.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Jumping back in for the first time since just before Rights of Man. Where do I find institutions?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Jumping back in for the first time since just before Rights of Man. Where do I find institutions?

There's a new button at the top of the technology tab

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The tech window has a button in the upper left corner. You can also set the viewmode to display it on the map.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Orthogary! Take that, von Habsburgs :toot: I flipped to Orthodox around the time I put Matthias Corvinus on the throne. I was originally allied to France, Austria, and Poland-Lithuania, all of whom at various points decided they hated me and broke the alliance. Austria wanted my land so I started eating them, once they were small enough, the electors voted for France, who, as Emperor, would've defended Austria against me... Until France gave an electorate to Austria, who promptly voted for themselves, and then regained the title of Emperor in the next election :v: I fed a lot of Lithuania to my new Orthodox buddy Russia, and popped Kiev out just to stop the drat cossack raids. I didn't interfere with the Ottomans, aside from blocking their expansion into Europe (I vassalized Serbia, Bosnia, and Wallachia, and ate Moldavia from Poland, so I was the shield of Europe), until the mid 1600s, once I'd caught up to them militarily, and they didn't put up much for a fight. As a bonus, this game was the first time in ~1800 hours of EU4 that I've seen Egypt in the wild.

E: For shits and giggles I vassalized the Pope and force-converted him to Orthodox. Changed his government type to Great Metropolis and his title to 'Archbishop'. The event to turn him back to Catholic can't fire if I quit the game after that :v:

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
My Coptic Ottoman game has a Zoroastrian Persia that I had nothing to do with. I have no idea where it came from, but I almost want to let them live.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of the huge hidden effects of being above 100% overextension is that rebel faction progress goes up by 20% per tick instead of 10%. I didn't know that until I saw it on the wiki.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:airquote:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the huge hidden effects of being above 100% overextension is that rebel faction progress goes up by 20% per tick instead of 10%. I didn't know that until I saw it on the wiki.

The stacks are bigger too. Every once in a while when I wrap up a war with 99% overextension, but forgot I still had some lovely province still being cored from a previous war, then Rebel Sentiment and Merchants Assassinated starts popping up and I begin making GBS threads my pants.

Rebel Sentiment comes from a file that is called something like purenasty.txt in EU4's events folders.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are assassinated merchants something to be concerned about or is it one of those -10 trade power things? I can't remember.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
:unsmigghh:

All that effort for another icon on my Steam profile.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Good, now go do Norwegian Wood, it's not a full WC, don't worry. One of these days I'll actually go for it again, maybe this time I wont fail it utterly like the last two times.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What policies are worth the monarch points? I'm perpetually starved and behind in tech as a conquering Ethiopia.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Mandalay posted:

What policies are worth the monarch points? I'm perpetually starved and behind in tech as a conquering Ethiopia.

Some that I like:

Admin + Influence (-20% diplo annex cost) when eating a big country.

I also like Innovative/Economic + Offensive/Quality. All 4 are good military boosts.

Religious + Quality: 5% morale + 10% siege ability

Trade + Quantity: 20% goods produced

When colonizing: exploration + expansion/administrative. More settlers or settler chance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Innovative + Offensive gives +10% siege ability and +1 siege pip, both of these bonuses are extremely good when fort sieges make up most of the time spent in war. Also, siege pips are 3x rarer than other pips, so getting +1 siege to all leaders is really great

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 7, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

Innovative + Offensive gives +10% siege ability and +1 siege pip, both of these bonuses are extremely good when fort sieges make up most of the time spent in war

That is probably my favorite policy in the game next to Exploration+Admin, but unfortunately it requires you taking the Innovative idea group. At least it drains military points, which is nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unfortunate? Innovative is one of the best early idea groups in the game. Prestige is actually really useful now that you can reroll heirs, it comes with a 5% tech discount on all 3 categories, and the War Exhaustion bonus saves you an insane amount if diplo and/or admin at the end of a war (since war exhaustion carries a hefty penalty on coring costs). It's probably the single best group for maximizing the amount of monarch points that you'll get to spend across a game (between better rules, tech discounts, cheaper advisors, war exhaustion, more leaders without spending upkeep, etc)

e: In most games I think it's actually better to take Innovative over Administrative (but ideally you take both, assuming you're not so cash-starved that you need to take Economic)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 7, 2017

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sloshmonger posted:

My Coptic Ottoman game has a Zoroastrian Persia that I had nothing to do with. I have no idea where it came from, but I almost want to let them live.

just as cyrus delivered the jews from captivity, you should repay the favour by... not killing them

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 7, 2017

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Easiest way to let someone you like live, make them a march.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

New dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-march-2017.1003421/

Confucianism getting an overhaul.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow, that seems potentially really powerful.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

quote:

Jewish : +33% institution Spread
New Ming strat: beeline for Semien

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring back the Kaifeng Jews imo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Elotana posted:

New Ming strat: beeline for Semien

I don't think you get the religions bonus/mechanics, it just counts as true faith for autonomy/taxes/revolt risk.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I don't think you get the religions bonus/mechanics, it just counts as true faith for autonomy/taxes/revolt risk.

The post also specifies that you get specific bonuses for harmonizing with different religious groups; +33% institution spread for harmonizing with the Jewish group

Muslim is +10% Trade efficiency which could also be really good

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

The post also specifies that you get specific bonuses for harmonizing with different religious groups; +33% institution spread for harmonizing with the Jewish group

Muslim is +10% Trade efficiency which could also be really good

It's for 25 years though, so the Jewish one would be good for like one institution if you timed it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AnoHito posted:

It's for 25 years though, so the Jewish one would be good for like one institution if you timed it properly.
Depends on how many you're behind with, doesn't it? :v:

• Locked thread