Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Frosted Flake posted:

I read that as Quran-loving-tee. Seems accurate.

Quran-loving-tee a brown people quarantine.

Trump is a fat kid pretending to be dictator and enough people are just playing along because welp nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of course not. That's a crime of passion. An honor killing is done because it is your religious (muslim) duty.

Honour killings are very different from classic spousal murder in every fundamental way. The comparison is slightly tasteless and not very helpful for anyone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Svartvit posted:

Honour killings are very different from classic spousal murder in every fundamental way. The comparison is slightly tasteless and not very helpful for anyone.

Explain why killing a cheating spouse isn't a type of honor killing.

You say it's different. I can't see the difference.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spousal murder is apparently somehow 'lesser' if you're white. That's what I'm getting out of this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Crime of passion vs premeditated and calculated murder as a statement of religious faith.

If you walk in on your wife boinking your neighbor and shoot them both, that's #1. If you hear a rumor or even catch them, then tie her up in the basement, buy supplies, and burn her alive the next day because she dishonored your family and god/Allah, that's #2.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 6, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LingcodKilla posted:

I am curious too, and would like to hear his reasoning.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LingcodKilla posted:

the mens rea is completely different

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Did you know the guy they they want to replace Fillon with, Alain Juppe, got a loving suspended prison sentence for corruption whilst in office! His approval ratings are still higher than half the Presidential candidates.

juppe's conviction is widely seen as him taking the fall for then president chirac, which probably helps.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

LingcodKilla posted:

Honour killings involve a decision by a family council in which the elder decides that a girl or woman of the family has brought dishonour to the family or clan. Someone in the close family, a brother, a father or an uncle, is tasked with carrying out the murder on their behalf. Those who work against honour killings in the West have desperately tried to highlight the very fundamental difference, mainly because law enforement, much like you, have interpreted it as if it's the same kind of family abuse that we're used to, when it in fact is a family or clan working as a criminal organization placing a hit on the victim.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Iron Rose posted:

the mens rea is completely different

Edit. Nm. The above poster explained his view.

Svartvit posted:

Honour killings involve a decision by a family council in which the elder decides that a girl or woman of the family has brought dishonour to the family or clan. Someone in the close family, a brother, a father or an uncle, is tasked with carrying out the murder on their behalf. Those who work against honour killings in the West have desperately tried to highlight the very fundamental difference, mainly because law enforement, much like you, have interpreted it as if it's the same kind of family abuse that we're used to, when it in fact is a family or clan working as a criminal organization placing a hit on the victim.

I'm not a lawyer, but can't this kind of behavior already be prosecuted using RICO or conspiracy laws that are already in place?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 6, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, but then you don't get to target the mussulman.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't know if we want to open the door to a Trump administration using RICO to go after Muslim families.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I think RICO statutes only apply if there's money involved. I'm not a lawyer though so :shrug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Missionary Positron posted:

Continuing the theme of Europe and defense:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/...pe=sectionfront

Granted, the chances of an independent European nuclear deterrent happening are minimal but as the article points out, it's pretty crazy that the chances are no longer 0%.

I cannot stop laughing.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Like, someone please travel back in time and tell ol' Otto that his beloved German people would sleep calmly knowing a French arsenal of weapons of mass destruction will keep them safe in the 21st century.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

gently caress, don't kill baby Hitler with that time machine, let him grow up and tell him, too :lol:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think RICO statutes only apply if there's money involved. I'm not a lawyer though so :shrug:

I thought they could throw that poo poo at practically anything involving a group of people, but my knowledge of RICO is all half-remembered poo poo from that Vin Diesel movie where he's his own lawyer. :shrug:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress, don't kill baby Hitler with that time machine, let him grow up and tell him, too :lol:

I would also be interested in seeing his reaction to the Israel-Palestine situation.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 6, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

German overengineering applied to H-bombs is just what I need at this point in time.

That and them all playing Enrichment Centrifuge Simulator 2018 in their spare time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Svartvit posted:

This is a good response.

So it's basically the same but with an added conspiracy which is already addressed in our laws.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

P-Mack posted:

German overengineering applied to H-bombs is just what I need at this point in time.

That and them all playing Enrichment Centrifuge Simulator 2018 in their spare time.

I would play that game. The autistic german in me demands it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Conspiracy to commit murder isn't already a crime?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know why you people are acting surprised that a group would be pushing for additional laws for their special-snowflake concern despite current laws already covering the topic.

It's not like we're talking about gun laws and murder.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

LingcodKilla posted:

This is a good response.

So it's basically the same but with an added conspiracy which is already addressed in our laws.

Understanding the nature of the crime is essential in order for crime prevention and law enforcement to work properly, or sometimes at all. There are many horror stories. Just saying it's conspiracy to commit murder and then taking the day off is improper on so many levels.

Brown-shirts have a tendency to propagandize honour killings but that doesn't make it OK to throw victims under the bus.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trouble in Congress on the Obamacare repeal, as four GOP senators revolt against the house bill due to it loving up medicaid.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/838868233776168962

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't the Rs give Hillary a rash of poo poo for doing the health care thing behind closed doors? What's the diff now?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Burt Sexual posted:

Didn't the Rs give Hillary a rash of poo poo for doing the health care thing behind closed doors? What's the diff now?

The Republicans are the ones doing it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rs have been hypocritical to a degree I don't think we've ever quite witnessed before.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Republicans are the ones doing it.

you need to be assured that this isnt a smartass answer

it's the exact reason

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Never expect a genuine showing of ethics, morality, or otherwise redeeming human features from congressional republicans. Ever.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
i would say that intelligence agencies leaking poo poo directly to the press is bad. but, if congress wont act on it in the normal fashion(i assume that someone provides a report to the house/senate commitees and they decide what to do), it seems necessary.

so....how are our intel agencies supposed to handle this sort of alleged wrongdoing? what is the process?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Politicians and their supporters are both pretty bad at it, but Republicans the last decade have been taking it to a new loving level it's insane. I wish my brain worked that way so nothing I do is wrong and everything my 'opponents' do is the worst thing ever

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Office Pig posted:

Never expect a genuine showing of ethics, morality, or otherwise redeeming human features from congressional republicans. Ever.
My representative, Brian Fitzpatrick (R), has been surprisingly OK so far. His brother Mike was our previous rep, and he was pretty much just a party line stooge, so I was expecting more of the same. So far though he seems to be on the moderate side.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wouldn't the best thing for Trump's wonderful, tremendous, bigly legacy be single-payer? He should do that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ben Carson was quoted today saying slaves were "Immigrants who came to America seeking new opportunities while working for less"

Jesus gently caress :stare:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Office Pig posted:

Ironically, this is the one thing currently saving the country: The GOP representatives are overwhelmingly results of the Tea Party wave, which means they've spent their entire careers saying no to everything. None of them know how to legislate beyond walking away from anything that isn't exactly what they want.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm well past outrage fatigue at this point. I could wake up tomorrow to a bunch of news alerts that Trump hired a combination prostitute/assassin to piss on someone to death but the house oversight committee was more interested in hillary being CC'ed on the emails and it wouldn't get more than a cursory shrug from me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LingcodKilla posted:

Obviously.

Should be something in the Old Testament though.

Leviticus 21:9 posted:

And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.

Leviticus 20:9 posted:

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
Exodus 21:17 is almost identical

The closest I can find in the Quran is
[quote"Sura 18, v. 74-80"]
So they [Moses and The Servant of God, later identified as al-Khidhr] set out, until when they met a boy, al-Khidhr killed him. [Moses] said, "Have you killed a pure soul for other than [having killed] a soul? You have certainly done a deplorable thing."
[Al-Khidhr] said, "This is parting between me and you. I will inform you of the interpretation of that about which you could not have patience.
And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared that he would overburden them by transgression and disbelief.
[/quote]

Handsome Ralph posted:

gambling, murder, kidnapping, extortion, arson, robbery, bribery, dealing in obscene matter, or dealing in a controlled substance or listed chemical, bribery, counterfeiting, theft, embezzlement, fraud, obstruction of justice, slavery, racketeering, gambling, money laundering, commission of murder-for-hire, Embezzlement of union funds, Bankruptcy fraud or securities fraud, Drug trafficking; long-term and elaborate drug networks, criminal copyright infringement, Money laundering, bringing in, aiding or assisting aliens in illegally entering the country (if the action was for financial gain), acts of terrorism.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CommieGIR posted:

Ben Carson was quoted today saying slaves were "Immigrants who came to America seeking new opportunities while working for less"

Jesus gently caress :stare:

Uncle Carson's Cabin

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i would say that intelligence agencies leaking poo poo directly to the press is bad. but, if congress wont act on it in the normal fashion(i assume that someone provides a report to the house/senate commitees and they decide what to do), it seems necessary.

so....how are our intel agencies supposed to handle this sort of alleged wrongdoing? what is the process?

Depends, you really want the three letter agencies to start disapearing members of the executive? That's how you get coups. I mean there's nothing that intel agencies can do at this point besides continually leak worse and worse poo poo so that public outcry finally forces the congress to do the needful and take trump out behind the gym. The Judiciary has to bring charges up and good loving luck with Sessions as the Attorney General or the Congress has to do it and good luck with republicans in power and Trump still having a high approval rating among their constituents.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Trump University Lawsuits May Not Be Closed After All
President Trump’s postelection agreement to pay $25 million appeared to settle the fraud claims arising from his defunct for-profit education venture, Trump University. But a former student is now asking to opt out of the settlement, a move that, if permitted, could put the deal in jeopardy.

Lawyers for the student, Sherri Simpson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday asked a federal judge in San Diego to reject the settlement unless former students are given an opportunity to be excluded from the deal so they can sue Mr. Trump individually.

If the judge, Gonzalo Curiel, decides that Ms. Simpson and potentially others should have that chance, legal experts say it could disrupt the settlement because Mr. Trump and his lawyers saw the deal as a way to resolve all of the claims, once and for all, to avoid a trial and distractions to his presidency.

“If even one person could opt out of the settlement and force a trial, that might, in fact, crater the deal,” said Shaun Martin, a professor at the University of San Diego School of Law. “I’m sure Judge Curiel will be aware of that.”

The agreement, announced in November, appeared to resolve years of hotly contested litigation, including two federal class-action cases in San Diego and a separate suit by Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general. Students maintained that they were cheated out of tuition through high-pressure sales tactics and misleading claims about what they would learn. At one point during the contentious case, Mr. Trump questioned Judge Curiel’s impartiality based on his Mexican heritage.

Mr. Trump, who has rejected the claims and did not acknowledge fault in the settlement, posted on Twitter after the settlement announcement that the only downside of his winning the presidency was that it meant he “did not have the time to go through a long but winning trial on Trump U.”

Patrick Coughlin, a lawyer representing the class-action plaintiffs, said that it was a “terrific settlement” and that the objection seemed “politically motivated.” He said he feared that the objection could result in delays for students who have waited years to get money back. “She could have excluded herself before and pursued her own litigation,” he said. “That time passed.”

Lawyers for Mr. Trump did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Monday is the deadline for students to file claims to participate in the settlement, or object to it — as in the case of Ms. Simpson.

Her lawyers argue that a notice sent to students about the class-action lawsuits in 2015 left the impression that they could later request to be excluded from a settlement, but that opportunity was not afforded to them in the agreement.

“There was precious little reason to exercise the right to opt out at that juncture” in 2015, wrote one of Ms. Simpson’s lawyers, Gary Friedman of New York, in the objection filed on Monday. “The case was barreling towards trial, by all accounts.”

Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said that Judge Curiel would probably give the objection serious consideration, but that he would have to weigh it against “substantial pressure to hold the deal together.”

“A lot of work has gone into this, and people are generally satisfied all around,” Mr. Tobias said.

Plaintiffs’ lawyers have said that they would waive their fees and that they expected roughly 7,000 former students to recover half to all of what they spent on courses.

If they are allowed, it is not clear how many former students may seek to opt out.

In 2010, Ms. Simpson — a lawyer who spoke out about her Trump University experience during last year’s campaign — paid $1,495 for a three-day seminar, in which she said instructors pressured her to sign up for the $35,000 “Gold Elite” program under the premise that she would have access to the “resources of Mr. Trump and his real estate organization,” she wrote in a sworn statement. She split the fee with another student, spending about $19,000 in total, Mr. Friedman said.

But she soon grew dissatisfied when promises went unfulfilled. She wrote, “The Gold Elite program was a scam.”
https://nyti.ms/2n75f0V

I mean it's nothing but one can hope that Trump gets further humiliated

• Locked thread