Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Helical Nightmares posted:

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

So what am I missing from this list?

A minor addition: Sagas of the Icelanders has an Icelandic Homestead Management minigame in the Man playbook that is surprisingly compelling. At first glance it looks like a resources-trading game like a boardless Settlers of Catan with progression, which is not a strong pitch for a playbook. But it turns out that hanging scarcity-based fiction on those resources imparts meaning and a sense of urgency: exchanging your 1-labor for ore to supply your smithy means less food and fuel for the brutal Icelandic winter, especially if you're forced to entertain guests - whom you are obligated by tradition to give food and shelter; fewer opportunities to throw the feasts that share (or flaunt) your prosperity and build or repair relationships with your quarrelsome neighbors; less land ploughed and sowed for crops, etc.

But on the other hand, you might turn that ore into a sword inscribed with the name of your murdered brother, so that you can set fire to his killer's house and slay him and all his kin as they flee the flames. So, y'know, maybe it's worth a little starvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Now I'm thinking about it, Rules Cyclopedia D&D had rules for establishing a stronghold as well, didn't it?

There are loads of god games that handle domain management in a sorta kinda way: Godbound, Gods and Monsters, Mystic Empyrean, Nobilis...

Chuubo's would let you build a base if you took the right quests for it. I think.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I totally forgot Ars Magica

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Like half the Traveller line, since almost every book gives you rules for building SOMETHING, but if you want some specifics (going off the mongoose line):

The main rulebook has rules for building planets.
Merchant Prince lets you build trading companies.
Dynasty lets you build and manage dynasties that last generations.
Mercenary has guidelines for military base building.

GURPS Books:

Boardroom and Curia is all about statting out organizations and how to make that meaningful in play.

Dungeon Fantasy Taverns and Dungeon Fantasy Guilds are, surprisingly, about creating and using taverns and guilds, respectively.

If you really want to get into the weeds, Low-Tech Companions 1-3 have basically everything you'd want to know about functioning low-tech societies, and I'd recommend either Companion 1: Philosophers and Kings, which focuses on government and scholarship or Companion 3: Daily life and Economics, which has a lot of good poo poo about like domesticating animals and what it takes to build an infrastructure somewhere.

City Stats is good for giving you the tools to generate thumbnail writeups of various cities in a campaign world.

There are a ton more, this is just what I can come up with by looking at a couple pdf folders

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Apocalypse World does that quite a bit: the hardholder has to manage their settlement, the hocus has to manage their cult, the chopper manages their gang and so on.

My own Legacy: Life Among the Ruins takes rebuilding after the Apocalypse as its main theme: every player gets a family of survivors to manage and tools to reshape the homeland over the generations. The latest book also added civilisation-style wonders - big projects you work on over long sweeps of time, competing with other players to be the first to complete them.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pendragon is half about ensuring you have a family to pass your estate on to, and trying to make sure that estate isn't garbage.

If you're putting An Echo Resounding on there you should also include basically all of Crawford's other games on there because they all have rules for building whatever organizations are relevant to the setting.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

I’m looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

Way of the Wicked book 2 has an interesting if imperfect take on the 3.PF leadership feat. It gives an expanded system for managing all the henchmen you get.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Weapons of the Gods Companion

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Damnation City for Vampire: the Requiem.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Green Law of Varkith has rules for running a guild in Dungeon World.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ars Magica

(Haha beat Mors Rattus to it!)

Edit : drat it!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Great responses so far guys.

I don't recall base building in Exalted. Is that in the newer edition or is my memory flawed?

Updated List

quote:

D&D
Birthright (AD&D)
Stronghold Builder’s Guidebook (3.5 D&D)

OSR/D&D related
Ultimate Campaign (Pathfinder) – has updated Kingmaker rules
Way of the Wicked Book 2 (Pathfinder) – Henchmen management rules
Adventurer Conqueror King - domain management

Sine Nomine (goon Kevin Crawford)
An Echo Resounding
Godbound
Stars Without Number
Other Dust
Silent Legions

World of Darkness
Guilded Cage (V:tM)
Damnation City (V:tR)
Exalted

Traveller (Mongoose)
Traveller: Core – build planets
Merchant Prince - trading companies
Dynasty – manage dynasties over generations
Mercenary – military bases.

GURPS
GURPS Boardroom and Curia
GURPS Low-Tech Companions 1-3
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Taverns
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: Guilds
GURPS City Stats

Other
Sagas of the Icelanders - Icelandic Homestead Management minigame
Mutant: Year Zero
Conspiracy X
Blades in the Dark
Reign
Ars Magica
Pendragon
Gods and Monsters (Fate)
Mystic Empyrean
Nobilis
Apocalypse World
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins (goon)
Weapons of the Gods Companion
Green Law of Varkith (Dungeon World) – build guild

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Spellbound Kingdoms has some fairly in-depth organization rules.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

I don't recall base building in Exalted. Is that in the newer edition or is my memory flawed?

I know the Mandate of Heaven rules were in 2nd edition somewhere. Can't remember if there was anything about it in 1e, and I'm not familiar with 3e so I couldn't speak to that.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
The Nightmares Underneath is an OSR game with some light rules for establishing ties to local businesses and organisations. Its not so much about building your own, as about developing roots in the community.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Again I think Heroquest (at least Glorantha Heroquest anyway) has community building rules, but not sure if they are the same as "base building" as it were.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Does anyone know where you can find pics of the Pathfinder Pawn box/set contents? There's a couple I'm thinking about buying but I'd like to know what some of this stuff actually looks like.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Which ones were you interested in? I have the Bestiary Box, NPC Codex, and Monster Codex. I could post pictures later tonight.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

potatocubed posted:

I know the Mandate of Heaven rules were in 2nd edition somewhere. Can't remember if there was anything about it in 1e, and I'm not familiar with 3e so I couldn't speak to that.

Mandate of Heaven was in the 2e Storyteller's Companion book, and were completely ignored for the rest of the line. There are no 3e equivalents either sadly. It used an interesting approach statting up political entities using the PC attributes and Limit stat, and provided some really evocative ways of messing with your neighbours via approaches that weren't just war.

And yeah the Companion book for BECMI had pretty revolutionary dominion management rules which were expanded on in the later books, because the assumption was that every PC would be running a dominion - the later modules were one of the few places we've seen D&D adventures that were working on the expectation that everyone would be a local baron.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

xiw posted:

Mandate of Heaven was in the 2e Storyteller's Companion book, and were completely ignored for the rest of the line. There are no 3e equivalents either sadly. It used an interesting approach statting up political entities using the PC attributes and Limit stat, and provided some really evocative ways of messing with your neighbours via approaches that weren't just war.

It was an interesting notion but the system was just way too hilariously obtuse in a way only Exalted could manage. Let's say I'm at war and I look up the "conquest actions". Do you use Sturdier Mouse Persuasion, Gluttonous Bear Encirclement, or Serpent Stalks the Reeds Insinuation? Uh, what does Serpent do again? "The Harmonious Tryptich Accords frequently revile those who would betray their society, yet fills a volume on this action's most efficacious use." :geno: Gee, thanks.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There was also a replacement domain management system in Masters of Jade. Creation-Ruling Mandate? That was actually pretty okay, without any of the bizarrely obtuse bullshit from the Companion's system. Of course, that was the second-to-last 2e book. I think maybe I wrote one thing that affected it in Shards, and then that's the end of that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

There was also a replacement domain management system in Masters of Jade. Creation-Ruling Mandate? That was actually pretty okay, without any of the bizarrely obtuse bullshit from the Companion's system. Of course, that was the second-to-last 2e book. I think maybe I wrote one thing that affected it in Shards, and then that's the end of that.

Yeah, that was a lot better!... and then it was abandoned about as quickly as it was implemented, with the line from you-know-who of "Oh, you only think you want to see this system supported! Well, you're wrong! You don't!" :v: Gee, thanks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was an interesting notion but the system was just way too hilariously obtuse in a way only Exalted could manage. Let's say I'm at war and I look up the "conquest actions". Do you use Sturdier Mouse Persuasion, Gluttonous Bear Encirclement, or Serpent Stalks the Reeds Insinuation? Uh, what does Serpent do again? "The Harmonious Tryptich Accords frequently revile those who would betray their society, yet fills a volume on this action's most efficacious use." :geno: Gee, thanks.

poo poo like this from Exalted is probably why I now have such a keen appreciation of Apocalypse World and other good PbtA's use of playbooks for extreme clarity about "here's your character's role in the story, and here's the system to do that in like a half-page." Exalted was fantastically bad about both obtuse subsystems and about springing "actually, your PC is supposed to be doing X" on you, particularly for non-Solar PCs. Figuring out that, no, it was actually a systemic expectation that my 1E Lunar should have been committing constant bestiality to grow his own furry incest army was especially "fun." (That character's concept after a certain point was "I hate everything about my Exaltation type and refuse to give up my humanity but will still fight for the future of Creation," which was okay to play, but if I'd known what the devs expected from Lunars I would have just made Generic Solar McHitsGuys or something.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you play as a Lunar you deserve everything horrible coming to you

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lunar Exalted were the goddamn worst as far as mismatch between core and splat in 1e.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Updated List

The Savage Worlds Super Hero Companion has rules for building an HQ for your hero/heroes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It's Gilded Cage.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I thought the way it represented dominions was super useful and evocative though - all of 2e was a huge disappointment every time i opened a splatbook about a town and saw worthless mechanical stats for Pointless Army #17 instead of a MoH statblock for the place.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
HarnManor (for HarnMaster) has detailed rules for managing a noble estate. Harn's Pilot's Almanac has detailed rules for sailing ships and trading cargo.

Champions (all versions) had detailed rules for building superhero (and supervillain) bases. Characters could spend their character points updating their Batcaves or whatever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
gently caress, Harn has detailed rules for managing a field of turnips.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

First, your noble estateholder character had to make a roll to convince his tenant-farmers to switch their fields from planting rye and barley to planting turnips.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Halloween Jack posted:

:five:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FMguru posted:

First, your noble estateholder character had to make a roll to convince his tenant-farmers to switch their fields from planting rye and barley to planting turnips.

Holy hell, this owns

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

I'm looking to make a list of all the rpgs and rpg supplements that tackle the subject of base building, domain management or organization building.

4e's base-building stuff is scattered throughout the series.

Stronghold Items first appeared in Adventurer's Vault 2, and included stuff that you wouldn't really carry around with you like throne rooms and magic beds and the greatest item- enchanted kegs that filled with beer every morning.

Dragon 383 included a bunch of different lair items that were more dragon-themed like beds of coins or a magic ledger that tallied the value of everything within 10 squares of where it had been sitting for the past day and told you if anything changed since the last time you checked it.

Dragon 395 included basic rules for building strongholds and various stuff you could put in it like prisons and magic labs and the like, plus the Bigby's Construction Crew ritual so you could build a fortress in a month, and the Call Stronghold and Flying Fortress rituals so you can teleport your castle or even make it fly. Of note is that Flying Fortress is a Travel ritual, not a creation one like the other two, so there are various ways you can cast it for free and basically make one flying fortress per day out of any local neighborhood. It also mentioned that ships are a great idea for filling a similar role to the one that strongholds filled for player characters.

Dragon 412 was all about boats and had various enchanted stuff you could put in your boat, like magic sails and diving capabilities.

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium had the rules for hirelings, which basically were minions with specialty auras, and Dragon 412 also had some more hirelings for your sailing crew.

On this tangent, ENWorld published their Admiral o' the High Seas naval supplement with rules for building ships and doing naval combat in a system for 4e/Pathfinder, the basics of which were reprinted in their free Seas of Zeitgeist supplement, which was published in their Zeitgeist Player's Guide.

Regarding Pathfinder: Ultimate Campaign also has all the downtime and buildings/organizations rules, and they did some more with organizations in the Hell's Rebels Campaign where you built up a little rebellion organization and sent out your teams to do some stuff each week. Way of the Wicked Book 6 and the Book 7 supplement also had its own kingdom-management-related stuff.

3e/3.5e also had various rules scattered throughout various books, but that will have to wait a bit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is there still a general discord that TG posters use? I can't find a link anywhere.

https://discord.gg/vyEphA9 this is the link to the good discord

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Antivehicular posted:

Holy hell, this owns
Harn is the best.

Here's the full rules for convincing your serfs to change what they're planting

Be sure and fill out your manorial records every year, like the good folks running the Monastery at Clord do:

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 7, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Accounting: The Elfening.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I like Dungeon World, but I agree that one of the major things missing are any OSR style rules for stronghold building beyond "this is how much coin you need to have a castle built." It'd be nice to include Advanced Moves that reflected stuff like "your character attracts a group of mercenary followers" or "you own a wizard's laboratory and can make your own monsters."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Just put up a short blogpost for The Next Project

I'm kinda trying to figure out what the driving force should be behind the game, from a mechanical sense; I was talking things out with my playtester and I realized that the game doesn't have a good reward system in place, so I've been hmmming and hawing about that recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Simian_Prime posted:

I like Dungeon World, but I agree that one of the major things missing are any OSR style rules for stronghold building beyond "this is how much coin you need to have a castle built." It'd be nice to include Advanced Moves that reflected stuff like "your character attracts a group of mercenary followers" or "you own a wizard's laboratory and can make your own monsters."

It'd be pretty easy to adapt the Hardhold from AW, and make it a level up thing.

• Locked thread