Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah they are incredible, the only issue is you need a special pan to make them, I guess I'm buying that pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Seafood is gross

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Seafood is gross

This is such a sad opinion for someone living on a coast to have. It bothers me every time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah they are incredible, the only issue is you need a special pan to make them, I guess I'm buying that pan

Wtf? That's pretty crazy. Worth it for homemade Octo-balls.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

This is such a sad opinion for someone living on a coast to have. It bothers me every time.

I'll trade you some fresh fish for some good BBQ

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm heading back to Costa Rica in May for five nights at an all-inclusive resort. I'm loving stoked :hellyeah:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I'll trade you some fresh fish for some good BBQ

I can see where the grass is greener and it's nice to have stuff you can't get very often locally, but it's not like I'm saying BBQ sucks. Both things are very good, and you're missing out on something that it should be easy for you to get. It legit makes me a little sad.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I can see where the grass is greener and it's nice to have stuff you can't get very often locally, but it's not like I'm saying BBQ sucks. Both things are very good, and you're missing out on something that it should be easy for you to get. It legit makes me a little sad.

It's a smell and a texture thing. Same reason why I don't like eating mushrooms if I can help it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like food a lot

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
one of the best benefits of cooking for yourself regularly is that you start to consume a lot more fiber. My poos these days are so solid I even get some prostate stimulation as they leave my body..

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Big Jesus posted:

I'm currently exploring poached eggs with my sous vide cooker

Let me know how that goes. We've started doing breakfasts on saturdays at my job and I have been thinking of trying it.

vvvIma get some right now, it's like a block from my place and I don't have to get into a car like I would the taco bus.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 6, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I am addicted to qdoba and I don't even like it

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

SHOAH NUFF posted:

one of the best benefits of cooking for yourself regularly is that you start to consume a lot more fiber. My poos these days are so solid I even get some prostate stimulation as they leave my body..

I'm the opposite, I always poop very loose. i think it's because like a third of my caloric intake is protein shakes these days

also a gigantic amount of coffee

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SHOAH NUFF posted:

My poos these days are so solid I even get some prostate stimulation as they leave my body..
:pwn:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a patagonian cavy posted:

I'm the opposite, I always poop very loose. i think it's because like a third of my caloric intake is protein shakes these days

also a gigantic amount of coffee

This guy gets it, my morning constitution is like jello through a pressure washer.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I am addicted to qdoba and I don't even like it

I do though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What hot culinary trends am I pursuing?

- Cooking more with lentils
- Making different types of rice .. Japanese short grain, fragrant Jasmine, elegant Basmati, wild rice
- Blending fruits and yogurts together for tasty, healthy treats
Any cool lentil recipes you have to share? My wife and I have been doing a bunch of Indian lentil things but have been thinking of trying to branch out.

I've been doing this odd mixture of black lentils, black beans, red onion, finely chopped broccoli and cauliflower and a sprinkle of cheese, with a few herbs and spices sprinkled on, for breakfast, and it gives me so much energy teamed up with my fruit smoothie.

seiferguy posted:

Got back from Maui. Did some cool things:

- Drove to Hana finally. If you enjoy driving, this is one drive you should do once in your life. Went to the seven sacred pools and hiked to the Waimoku falls. Coolest waterfall I've seen in my life. Hana itself is a really depressing town, though.
- Couldn't do a sunrise hike at the peak (as of last month, they now require reservations which were sold out when we got there), but went there anyways after sunrise. Good hiking, and the one part of the trip where I actually felt cold, as the weather hovers around 50 degrees there.
- Snorkeled at Molokini, and at turtle town as well. Didn't see any reef sharks sadly. Got that fix at the aquarium, though.
- Drank so many Mai Tais.
- Makena beach was probably my favorite beach. The waves owned. Everyone says Kaanapali beach is the best, but that's really crowded.
- Girlfriend treated me to a fancy dinner on my birthday. Also, yeah there's a lot of great food on that island.

Feels weird to be back at work.
I'll be going on a delayed honeymoon to Hawaii in the fall, please post more stuff or if you dont feel like posting it in the thread, feel free to drop me a PM.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Any cool lentil recipes you have to share? My wife and I have been doing a bunch of Indian lentil things but have been thinking of trying to branch out.

This weekend I made salmon on a bed of lentils, here's the recipe, it was really good:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/05/crispy-salmon-mustardy-lentils-recipe.html

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I'll be going on a delayed honeymoon to Hawaii in the fall, please post more stuff or if you dont feel like posting it in the thread, feel free to drop me a PM.

Which island(s) are you headed to?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Wrestling good last night's PPV bad

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Suriname is a weird country with a shocking amount of Indians and Chinese for a random South American county

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Grittybeard posted:

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (I never saw the movie), and it is a goddamned slog. I swear there's a 20 page description of what's painted on a goddamned door. The imagined 14th century monk version of history and arguing about current events is kinda interesting I guess?

Oh god do not read this book, maybe it'll redeem itself by the end but I'm bored as hell with it.

This is an incredibly correct post

One big thing is that umberto ecos academic career is in the study of symbology. That's a big part of the reason he spends so long describing those chapel doors. It's really cool to sort of lose yourself in the description as visions in a fever dream, like you do while reading naked lunch or fear and loathing or gravitys rainbow.

Building off of that is the way it ties into the core conflict of the novel between the practical, the political, and the mystical all backed by not only faith but the assumption of faith. Put yourself in adsos position, lose yourself in wonder or despair or whatever like he does.

And then in the meantime there's the mystery, which is ok on its own but again is built on symbology and this war between ideologies.

Also it does have good sequences in the end; wait until the payoff of the finis Africae, its worth it!

Also brother Jorge is named for Jorge Luis borges so that's cool.

Also a lot of that history is real: the heresy they talk about that ended in the massacre of its adherents was the Waldensian heresy , the cathars are real, it's set during the time of the antipope, which really happened. Remember eco was a symbologist and a medieval historian, he doesn't make things up when there's something just as weird that actually happened.

It's a really good book and once you're done read Foucaults Pendulum, which has less of the ancient history and more of the immediate, and is set in the present day (albeit the present day is 80s Milan). Can't wait to finish that and start baudolino!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (I never saw the movie), and it is a goddamned slog. I swear there's a 20 page description of what's painted on a goddamned door. The imagined 14th century monk version of history and arguing about current events is kinda interesting I guess?

Oh god do not read this book, maybe it'll redeem itself by the end but I'm bored as hell with it.

Also irony voice your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. andey

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

seiferguy posted:

Which island(s) are you headed to?
We are still trying to decide :v: Definitely the Big Island, a stop on Oahu to go to Pearl, and either Maui or Kaua'i, but not both.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This weekend I made salmon on a bed of lentils, here's the recipe, it was really good:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/05/crispy-salmon-mustardy-lentils-recipe.html
Awesome, thank you!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Phobeste posted:

This is an incredibly correct post

One big thing is that umberto ecos academic career is in the study of symbology. That's a big part of the reason he spends so long describing those chapel doors. It's really cool to sort of lose yourself in the description as visions in a fever dream, like you do while reading naked lunch or fear and loathing or gravitys rainbow.

Building off of that is the way it ties into the core conflict of the novel between the practical, the political, and the mystical all backed by not only faith but the assumption of faith. Put yourself in adsos position, lose yourself in wonder or despair or whatever like he does.

And then in the meantime there's the mystery, which is ok on its own but again is built on symbology and this war between ideologies.

Also it does have good sequences in the end; wait until the payoff of the finis Africae, its worth it!

Also brother Jorge is named for Jorge Luis borges so that's cool.

Also a lot of that history is real: the heresy they talk about that ended in the massacre of its adherents was the Waldensian heresy , the cathars are real, it's set during the time of the antipope, which really happened. Remember eco was a symbologist and a medieval historian, he doesn't make things up when there's something just as weird that actually happened.

It's a really good book and once you're done read Foucaults Pendulum, which has less of the ancient history and more of the immediate, and is set in the present day (albeit the present day is 80s Milan). Can't wait to finish that and start baudolino!

Eco suffers from an acute case of Academic Pedantry and I think he would benefit greatly from a several strong Salvia divinorum trips followed by a year of smoking pot and watching tv.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

We are still trying to decide :v: Definitely the Big Island, a stop on Oahu to go to Pearl, and either Maui or Kaua'i, but not both.

Maui is awesome if you enjoy any of: walking up mountains, biking down mountains, driving around mountains, or doing wind-related activities like sailing or kite surfing. Sunrise from Haleakala is something else.

Kaua'i is the bee's knees if you just want to chill at a beach or walk around a rain forest.

Molokai if you want to skip the crowds.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Chichevache posted:

Eco suffers from an acute case of Academic Pedantry and I think he would benefit greatly from a several strong Salvia divinorum trips followed by a year of smoking pot and watching tv.

Also, but to be a pedant myself, Eco's area of academic expertise is semiotics, not [sic] "symbology"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

This guy gets it, my morning constitution is like jello through a pressure washer.

Thats really not good for your butt and gut health.

Last 6 months like 70% of what i eat is vegetables and greens the rest is eggs, fish, red meat 3 times a week at most and good cuts of chicken, nuts, lentils and really anything as close as i can get it to grown or raised.

One day a week i eat whatever i want and drink beers, any other booze outside that day i drink is straight or with water or soda water.

My blood test results i had done last month couldnt have been better accross the board, I got abs for the first time in my life and my shits are like clockwork - every day at the same times and always perfect.

If youre shits arent on point something aint right with yo guts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Also, but to be a pedant myself, Eco's area of academic expertise is semiotics, not [sic] "symbology"

Wow, how often is this lovely movie relevant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Wow, how often is this lovely movie relevant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A

I can't even front; I am a sucker for Rosicrucian and Templar and well, any occult lore, so I wil defend my man Umberto

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, i was kinda trying to avoid the pedantry actually

Anyway I don't really find Eco pedantic except in the most.... pedantic sense, a lot of what he does shows off the depth of his knowledge but I think pedantry kinda requires an argument, or at least a dialogue. Since he's a novelist you're engaging with the work, not the author, so it's tough for it to be pedantic

Fucker

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Phobeste posted:

Anyway I don't really find Eco pedantic except in the most.... pedantic sense, a lot of what he does shows off the depth of his knowledge but I think pedantry kinda requires an argument, or at least a dialogue. Since he's a novelist you're engaging with the work, not the author, so it's tough for it to be pedantic

Fucker

:tipshat:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I can't even front; I am a sucker for Rosicrucian and Templar and well, any occult lore, so I wil defend my man Umberto

Phobeste posted:

Fucker

I love incredibly dense books full of symbolism and allusions. When I tried Eco (seven or eight years ago, so I was still in my late teens) he came across as someone trying to write about how intelligent he is instead of someone trying to write a story. I should probably give him another shot instead of rambling on about the half-baked opinions of a stoner 19 year old. Maybe I won't find him as tedious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Forever_Peace posted:

Maui is awesome if you enjoy any of: walking up mountains, biking down mountains, driving around mountains, or doing wind-related activities like sailing or kite surfing. Sunrise from Haleakala is something else.

Kaua'i is the bee's knees if you just want to chill at a beach or walk around a rain forest.

Molokai if you want to skip the crowds.
Noted, thank you sir!

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Fuckin haaaaaaate restringing guitars man.

a neat cape posted:

Seafood is gross

Seafood is something I think that I would've really loved if I didn't live in a lovely landlocked state, but alas.

I can't stand the texture of coconut, so there's my bad food opinion.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mashed potatoes make me gag and ive had them made in every conceivable way including by world class chefs.

Fkn gross man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Blitz7x posted:

Suriname is a weird country with a shocking amount of Indians and Chinese for a random South American county

Its the same way in Panama. In fact, any corner store, like a 7-11, is just called a chino, because they are all owned by Chinese immigrants.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

BlindSite posted:

Mashed potatoes make me gag and ive had them made in every conceivable way including by world class chefs.

Fkn gross man.

Sweet potatoes are bad in basically every possible permutation

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a patagonian cavy posted:

Sweet potatoes are bad in basically every possible permutation

I used to hate sweet potatoes still i had sweet potato fries one day theyre pretty good.

I dont mind em roasted either but theyre hard to get to crisp up outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

seiferguy posted:

Got back from Maui. Did some cool things:

- Drove to Hana finally. If you enjoy driving, this is one drive you should do once in your life. Went to the seven sacred pools and hiked to the Waimoku falls. Coolest waterfall I've seen in my life. Hana itself is a really depressing town, though.
- Couldn't do a sunrise hike at the peak (as of last month, they now require reservations which were sold out when we got there), but went there anyways after sunrise. Good hiking, and the one part of the trip where I actually felt cold, as the weather hovers around 50 degrees there.
- Snorkeled at Molokini, and at turtle town as well. Didn't see any reef sharks sadly. Got that fix at the aquarium, though.
- Drank so many Mai Tais.
- Makena beach was probably my favorite beach. The waves owned. Everyone says Kaanapali beach is the best, but that's really crowded.
- Girlfriend treated me to a fancy dinner on my birthday. Also, yeah there's a lot of great food on that island.

Feels weird to be back at work.

I had my honeymoon on Maui. Did the road to Hana, saw the red sand beach, the waterfalls you mentioned. Molokini was freaking awesome (Kai Kanani was a great company to work with). Stayed in Kihei, spent most of the time up country

I really, really want to go back.

• Locked thread