Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nolgthorn posted:

I was making fun of the comparison of literally the newest aaa game on the newest console with current gen games. I dunno what you guys are on about.

But Zelda is the newest AAA game on the newest console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Anidav posted:

While I find Zelda impressive. Stamina is way too imbalanced. Most of the shrines outside the plateau require a gently caress load of climbing making the game slightly linear towards Kakariko Village.

You can supplement your stamina with stamina recovery foods and elixirs and also take movement speed food/elixirs. It's not that big a deal. Of course Nintendo would like to help you along the path, you can forge your own once you learn the game's rules.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

parallelodad posted:

Huh. I read it has haptic feedback but when I was playing I didn't really notice it at all. Weird though that you would feel the tires on a hover car.

Thats what happens when you've been playing Forza 5 like crazy for the past 2 years, then jump into a spaceship racing game and post about it after drinking Nyquil.

But the haptic feedback does give an interesting texture. I just picked up one of the last Pro Controller gamepads in my area, and its definitely not giving that kind of feedback. Though its still nice. Ergonomic as gently caress. Love the feel of the shoulder buttons and triggers. Round buttons feel a tad cheap though.

But i'm concerned that online multiplayer for Fast RMX still is not working for me. If someone can confirm they are able to do online matches, let me know. I'm about to bring my switch to McDonalds, connect to their wifi, and use the kickstand and play it there like a nerd.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's artistically beautiful, as I said. I appreciate it as an amazing looking game within the restrictions of the hardware. But it does not look like a current gen game on a 4K TV. Edges "shimmer" in movement, textures are low res, and with very little on screen compared to modern games.

*sigh* Are we really gonna go this route

Game looks dope on my HDTV. I hope you bought the switch knowing it wasn't going to output to 4k.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

Not even 5 million people played Splatoon 1 given the poor sales of the Wii U. Given both GameStop and Reggie have stated the Switch has been a really strong launch so far I imagine there's gonna be a lot of people who have never tried Splatoon doing so for the first time during this next test fire. They're gonna get to feel super fresh

ChocNitty posted:

But i'm concerned that online multiplayer for Fast RMX still is not working for me. If someone can confirm they are able to do online matches, let me know. I'm about to bring my switch to McDonalds, connect to their wifi, and use the kickstand and play it there like a nerd.

Online has worked for me but it's very bare bones. However they have already stated they're working on a patch to add more to online including being able to join races friends are playing

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 7, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I'm really curious if Splatoon 2 keeps up the momentum or if it was a one-time phenomenon. Like is the market for a casual fresh shooter the same as it was two years ago?

It's a great and unique game unto itself with a lot of critical acclaim, it'll be the only multiplayer team shooter on Switch, and it'll be the only modern shooter you can play on handheld device. I can't really think of a reason that it won't do well.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Not even 5 million people played Splatoon 1 given the poor sales of the Wii U. Given both GameStop and Reggie have stated the Switch has been a really strong launch so far I imagine there's gonna be a lot of people who have never tried Splatoon doing so for the first time during this next test fire. They're gonna get to feel super fresh

all us old sea urchins will be there to welcome them to the big squid dance party in the sky

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

There is nothing casual about S/S+ rank matches :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm just pissed they didn't name it Splat2n.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Re: Zeldatalk - Really dig it even though I was kind of bummed at first. Once I got used to using all my weapons up and got some more stamina and inventory slots I'm super addicted.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone got it right that the name is a little confusing if you don't keep up with things and after Wii/Wii U naming gently caress ups lets not do that again.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Game looks dope on my HDTV. I hope you bought the switch knowing it wasn't going to output to 4k.

Of course. That's why I'm still happy with it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Nintendo actually got it right on how to communicate to the masses what this thing is during those goofy commercials. Each commercial shows someone playing the game on a TV, popping it off it to play on the go, then popping it back in to play at home. It's not a complicated process, its easy to do and anybody can make it work. They really need some more games on it though. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart both have to launch before Christmas or Nintendo is hosed Nintendo might be in trouble. But with both those games? It will be the number one gift easily.

I feel like Nintendo's challenge is that the switch really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. People have to see Zelda running on the handheld and on the TV. I just don't think youtube videos do it justice.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My tempered glass screen protector came... I'm psyching myself out to apply it. My understanding is unlike the plastic ones you can't peel up corners to catch stray dust you missed?

acksplode posted:

It's a great and unique game unto itself with a lot of critical acclaim, it'll be the only multiplayer team shooter on Switch, and it'll be the only modern shooter you can play on handheld device. I can't really think of a reason that it won't do well.

Yea I hope so friend!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

I feel like Nintendo's challenge is that the switch really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated. People have to see Zelda running on the handheld and on the TV. I just don't think youtube videos do it justice.

Yeah, what clicked it for me was my brother kicking me out of the den so he could go to bed on the pull out couch and it taking me less than a minute to slide the Joycons out of the grip and onto the console and pick it up and press the shoulder buttons to get back into the game. It's really easy and seamless, but there's no real way to show it in a video or describe it adequately.

As for Splatoon 2, I loving loved Splatoon 1 but was always bummed I would miss Splatfests because I couldn't use my Wii U or forgot. If I get this digital on the Switch, I can literally pick it up and play it wherever and whenever and damnit, that poo poo's cool.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Posting from an airplane without my Switch due to all the goons running my local stores dry of a carrying case :(. Sad times on this plane.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

InFlames235 posted:

Posting from an airplane without my Switch due to all the goons running my local stores dry of a carrying case :(. Sad times on this plane.

I like to imagine this isn't a planned trip but you are starting a journey to find a Switch (and maybe learn a little bit about yourself along the way!)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

My tempered glass screen protector came... I'm psyching myself out to apply it. My understanding is unlike the plastic ones you can't peel up corners to catch stray dust you missed?

Apply it in a bathroom after the showers run on hot for a little bit. The humid air will keep dust out of the air

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anidav posted:

While I find Zelda impressive. Stamina is way too imbalanced. Most of the shrines outside the plateau require a gently caress load of climbing making the game slightly linear towards Kakariko Village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCN5fnJViw

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Don't apply a screen protector. They are all trash garbage and look like poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

akadajet posted:

Don't apply a screen protector. They are all trash garbage and look like poo poo.

Well some people want to avoid scratching their Switch while docking them. A screen protector is going to look better than scratches on the bezel.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well some people want to avoid scratching their Switch while docking them. A screen protector is going to look better than scratches on the bezel.

If this actually happens then lol this hardware is more flawed than I thought.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm looking for a travel case. Anyone have that Hori tough pouch? Wonder how that compares to the RDS one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Covering the offending plastic inside the dock works too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Did Splatoon 1 support both gyro and analog aiming simultaneously? I can't remember, but I couldn't get into the controls. Loved everything else. If Splatoon 2 behaves like Zelda bow aiming, I'll get it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I put a screen protector on my Wii U tablet because it has a lovely plastic screen and is irreplaceable without going through Nintendo's warranty process.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Switch sold 313k in Japan for first week.

WiiU - 308k
Wii - 371k
PS4 - 322k

Switch was only on the market for 3 days in its first week. That's about 100k a day the first 3 days of its life.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

akadajet posted:

If this actually happens then lol this hardware is more flawed than I thought.

There's pictures, yeah. I wasn't too enthused about the rails that make contact with the screen is just naked plastic. I wouldn't be fussed about it if the Switch's screen was glass, but alas, they opted once again for plastic.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

enojy posted:

Did Splatoon 1 support both gyro and analog aiming simultaneously? I can't remember, but I couldn't get into the controls. Loved everything else. If Splatoon 2 behaves like Zelda bow aiming, I'll get it.

Splatoon and Zelda gyro assisted aiming works exactly the same so I think you just got more used to it since then. Some people did need to adjust the stick sensitivity in splatoon at first.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Monthly fee will make it a lot less kid friendly but who knows

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's pictures, yeah. I wasn't too enthused about the rails that make contact with the screen is just naked plastic. I wouldn't be fussed about it if the Switch's screen was glass, but alas, they opted once again for plastic.

People found out that it is a bent front on the dock doing it so look at how straight or curved yours is to see if it will scratch. Bad qa on cheap crap plastic.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So does anyone have a tracker or anything so I can find someplace that has a Switch at non-scalper prices?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

People found out that it is a bent front on the dock doing it so look at how straight or curved yours is to see if it will scratch. Bad qa on cheap crap plastic.

Mine is for sure straight, the screen protector is only there on account of the screen being plastic. I always cover those.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Anidav posted:

Switch sold 313k in Japan for first week.

WiiU - 308k
Wii - 371k
PS4 - 322k

Switch was only on the market for 3 days in its first week. That's about 100k a day the first 3 days of its life.

I'm pretty sure that's always the case for 1st week sales on any VideoGame related stuff in Japan; they always release on Thursday.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Covering the offending plastic inside the dock works too.

common sense is not allowed

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's always the case for 1st week sales on any VideoGame related stuff in Japan; they always release on Thursday.

Going from Wikipedia (so it must be right), the Wii and WiiU were released on Saturdays in Japan. Not sure what that means for the sales counts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

So does anyone have a tracker or anything so I can find someplace that has a Switch at non-scalper prices?

Call stores nearby you and ask when they usually get stock then show up first thing in the morning and hope. Apparently they may have some coming to Target tonight/tomorrow so I'm dropping by before work to see if I get lucky.

If they don't the it's safe to say the Switch is poo poo and I'm glad I don't have one.

(I just want to play Zelda everywhere, drat it)

Most stocking sites refresh once a day so there not exactly reliable. You could also go for something like nowinstock.net which keeps track of online retailers. They have a link to the Switch on their front page.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I finally got my Switch and now I'm sitting at my desk getting it set up even though there's a tornado rolling through town.

First impressions:
-This thing is like 1/3 larger than I thought it was going to be and I don't feel like I need a Pro Controller immediately
-Full range RGB thank gently caress
-As a crazy person who likes to pack things back into their original boxes when I'm not going to use them for a while, I really like this box
-The ability to grab game updates from other local Switch users seems like a glaring attack vector for homebrew
-I immediately inserted and removed the Switch from its dock around 100 times with no screen protector just for fun

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm just surprised the Wii is still moving nearly 400k units in Japan

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
Have we got a verdict on which power bank, if any, is safe for use with the switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

OP might want to stick a link to http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption in the first post, because it's kind of a master resource for figuring out if your power adapter or power pack will work well with the Switch.

The tl:dr (as I understand it) is that the Switch tablet itself should charge just fine with a 15v/2a charger, and pretty much any USB C cable (2.0/3.0 doesn't matter). A common 5v/3a USB C phone charger will probably work okay with the Switch, but they won't really charge the battery while you're playing, they just supply enough charge to stop the battery from draining. Even though the AC adapter that ships with the Switch is a kind of weird 39W, the tablet itself only uses up to 30W. The remaining 9W are for the dock to charge whatever is plugged into its USB ports.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and don't blame me if your Switch blows up from using 3rd party chargers / cables!

My Pixel XL charger does 5v/3A and 9v/2A USB PD, and seems to charge it quickly while playing Zelda.

• Locked thread