Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I remember there was a time in my youth Channel4 or maybe the Sci-fi channel showed anime late at night. Sometimes it would be decent, occasionally they'd put on hardcore, tentacle action.
There wasn't much rhyme or reason to it so maybe they were ordering and screening it sight unseen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of illicit substances I might just commit a fairly heinous crime at the moment if I could have access to something that actually helped with this drat cough.

Currently I'm just drinking lots of microwaved sprite and honey. gently caress all else seems to work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boy, do I have the thing for you.

Also seriously, gently caress everybody who was involved in getting ChestEze pulled.

Also whiskey, honey, lemon, boiling water.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I heard that lemsip, honey and a big glug of whisky is efficacious though being tee total I haven't had it myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess I've sort of been doing that on aggregate if you replace whisky with rum.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I heard that lemsip, honey and a big glug of whisky is efficacious though being tee total I haven't had it myself.

You can replace the lemsip with lemon and probably should given that medicine and alcohol isn't a winning combo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

The big caution with that is that Lemsip is mostly paracetamol, which shouldn't be regularly taken together with alcohol, and is mostly in there for fever and aches, it won't do much for a cough.

The active ingredient in there for your cough is phenylephrine, which has never really been shown to be active orally, but they pulled all the ephedrine-containing cold medicines because a couple of are boyes OD'd for a training course trying to increase their stamina and lung capacity despite the huge black box saying never do that.

I prefer just lemon.

efb

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

You can replace the lemsip with lemon and probably should given that medicine and alcohol isn't a winning combo

Guavanaut posted:

The big caution with that is that Lemsip is mostly paracetamol, which shouldn't be regularly taken together with alcohol, and is mostly in there for fever and aches, it won't do much for a cough.

Fannies.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Coughs are so rewarding at the loose phlegm stage. And brilliant news about the uk's dwindling use of coal.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All I'm good for is medical knowledge, anime and good jokes. Don't take one of those away from me.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just go to a Boots and grab some of those chesty cough syrups that coat your throat or something, and some throat numbing lozenges. Do the lozenge first, then the syrup.

I'm not a doctor though, it just works for me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Just go to a Boots and grab some of those chesty cough syrups that coat your throat or something, and some throat numbing lozenges. Do the lozenge first, then the syrup.

I'm not a doctor though, it just works for me.

Do you live with a doctor? It's almost the same as being one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

Reviews gave it a five tentacles up.

Up what?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

You can get ibuprofen for 50p at the supermarket ffs. If you feel manly double that up with 1 paracetamol and a flu thing which has phenylephrine in it for a triple whammy and you can work your manly way though any cold/flu related ailment.

Until of course you find that you have been dosing yourself oblivious to a potentially fatal infection because it was to difficult to get to the doctors because of work pressure or unavailable appointments.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The only cough syrups worth a crap are basically liquid codeine. They actually suppress the cough reflex, unlike other stuff which is just sugar syrup that soothes a tickly throat for about two minutes.

You can still buy codeine linctus without a prescription in the UK, it's just a 'pharmacist only' product that you have to either ask for or buy online after answering a few questions. It's worth it, just take it with some laxatives or you'll never poop again.

EDIT: And phenylephrine is worthless and has no evidence behind it whatsoever. Pseudoephidrine or don't bother.

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 7, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or J Collis Browne's Mixture, which is the same thing but morphine. And peppermint. Some Boots' still carry it.

Both are preferred for dry coughs than productive ones though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Do you live with a doctor? It's almost the same as being one.

Spangly wasn't wrong though, so stop being a oval office

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

That you can get codeine or even morphine over the counter at a pharmacy provided you present with a convincingly awful cough is a compelling reason to carry on smoking imo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Spangly wasn't wrong though, so stop being a oval office

He was entirely wrong.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

He was entirely wrong.

Incorrect

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

The only cough syrups worth a crap are basically liquid codeine. They actually suppress the cough reflex, unlike other stuff which is just sugar syrup that soothes a tickly throat for about two minutes.

This is my opinion from experience as well, I just chug golden syrup out of the bottle as it at least doesn't taste like hell.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

jabby posted:

You can still buy codeine linctus without a prescription in the UK, it's just a 'pharmacist only' product that you have to either ask for or buy online after answering a few questions. It's worth it, just take it with some laxatives or you'll never poop again.

EDIT: And phenylephrine is worthless and has no evidence behind it whatsoever. Pseudoephidrine or don't bother.
So the full proper cold whammy is ibuprofen + paracetamol + codine + Pseudoephidrine ?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maybe just the one

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Just be on all the drugs all the time and that way if you do get ill you're too blasted to care.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

So the full proper cold whammy is ibuprofen + paracetamol + codine + Pseudoephidrine ?

Pretty much, although you can add caffeine and antihistamines to that. The best thing I've found for colds is to accept that you are going to feel lovely some of the time, but that you can use drugs to essentially 'pause' your symptoms when you need to get poo poo done.

For example my usual cocktail when I have to work during a really bad cold is paracetamol (pain), psuedoephidrine (congestion), an antihistamine (runny nose), and a bunch of caffeine to fight the associated tiredness. I end up feeling worse than ever in the evening when all these meds wear off, but it gives me a day of suppressed symptoms.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I just don't get ill, it's a lot easier

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do doctors just dose themselves up to the eyeballs on whatever? I don't know how they avoid being sick constantly with hours and all the sick people they encounter.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

jabby posted:

Pretty much, although you can add caffeine and antihistamines to that. The best thing I've found for colds is to accept that you are going to feel lovely some of the time, but that you can use drugs to essentially 'pause' your symptoms when you need to get poo poo done.

For example my usual cocktail when I have to work during a really bad cold is paracetamol (pain), psuedoephidrine (congestion), an antihistamine (runny nose), and a bunch of caffeine to fight the associated tiredness. I end up feeling worse than ever in the evening when all these meds wear off, but it gives me a day of suppressed symptoms.
Just want to say that I salute you doc, please dont feel un-appreciated, im a keyboard toucher and could not do the job you do. Bear in mind that basically everyone of a sensible mind loves you and what you do xxxx

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Do doctors just dose themselves up to the eyeballs on whatever? I don't know how they avoid being sick constantly with hours and all the sick people they encounter.

It varies, but when you're familiar with medications and how they work you do get more comfortable with taking them. Plenty of normal people don't like taking the full dose of paracetamol, let alone mixing half a dozen pills for various cold symptoms, but most doctors probably wouldn't think anything of it.

You do get sick quite often though, but at least over here we can still take time off. I've spoken to docs in America that have worked shifts with an IV in their arm because they're puking/making GBS threads every half hour, or with a high fever, or wearing a mask to try and avoid spreading the flu. We aren't quite there yet, the most I will go to work with is a cold/occasional migraine.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Just want to say that I salute you doc, please dont feel un-appreciated, im a keyboard toucher and could not do the job you do. Bear in mind that basically everyone of a sensible mind loves you and what you do xxxx

That's very kind of you, and kind words from patients/members of the public are always appreciated. I was genuinely overwhelmed by the amount of support we got from the public during the strikes last year.

jabby fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 7, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Honey lemon and ginger tea

Sudafed (with pseudo ephedrie)

And the sauna + steam room at my gym are my recipe for shifting a cold

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TomViolence posted:

That you can get codeine or even morphine over the counter at a pharmacy provided you present with a convincingly awful cough is a compelling reason to carry on smoking imo.

they wouldnt sell me the dxm stuff when i asked about it

i had a real cough and everything!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Suckup

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/838013915057418241

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The PM has rejected William Hague's snap election idea.

A snap election "would catch the Labour Party in its worst condition since the early 30s, and with its least credible leader ever".
"There is no doubt that they (the prime minister and cabinet) would be in a stronger position to take the country through these challenges successfully if they had a large and decisive majority in the Commons and a new full term ahead of them," he said.
"Any [Brexit] deal is bound to be full of compromises which one group or another in Parliament finds difficult to stomach.
"As British law needs to be amended countless times to take account of leaving the EU treaties, the government could face many close votes, concessions or defeats as it tries to implement Brexit.
"That prospect will embolden the EU negotiators, and makes an agreement that is good for the UK harder to achieve.
"It could also lead to a situation where the prime minister faces a stand-off with Parliament over a deal that will have taken two years to negotiate and is nearly impossible to change."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Stephen Hawking says corbyn is a disaster. Surely he's done now

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is the full quote

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/839011946854744066

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He's not a professor of politics

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
That's a bit of a poo poo reason not to support him. It's like saying we shouldn't support the disabled because they're portrayed as scroungers.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pesmerga posted:

That's a bit of a poo poo reason not to support him. It's like saying we shouldn't support the disabled because they're portrayed as scroungers.

Hawking still supports labour. And its not like that at all because you'd think corbyn should have more agency in how he is portrayed which he has failed at miserably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
russia hacked hawkins' voicebox

• Locked thread