Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh after getting the Lynel Bow I glided down to Ralis Lake and bomb arrowed the ever loving gently caress out of that Hinox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Nah, I'll jump on board the "there are some things that are dumb as hell" train. I agree with Zaphod that rain is far too punishing with little that the player can do about it (how about some climbing gloves that let you ignore rain, or climbing boots with cleats or something?), and also I think weapon durability should be doubled pretty much across the board. Spending most of the game with your weapons breaking in two or three fights really does get tedious.

Yeah exactly. I wouldn't even mind it so long as there's some solution. Sell me the rain climbing cleats or the rain climbing grappling hook or something. Sell me the magic flint and tinder that can start a rain-proof fire, or at least a loving Zippo or something!

Like I said maaaaaybe there is some song of storms that lets you turn off rain at will later in the game, I hope so, but I kinda doubt it. And as-is rain is just a bit too frustrating. I love the feel of the rain and the effect as long as I'm just walking around, but if I have something to do involving climbing or fire, I'm hosed. That's lame.

I manage to do okay with the weapon durability, if you embrace that things are temporary and unlock a bunch more inventory slots it really helps. But it would be nice, yeah. And there's things like, if I have a torch and I'm using that to light fires and it suddenly breaks, gently caress. Now I have to go look for a torch. What if you have some tool that you really like, say the leaf that makes wind, the heavy hammers that are good at stasis hitting, magic rod weapons, the boomerang, etc. In past Zeldas those would be permanent tools, but now that they're lumped in with "weapons" they compete for inventory slots. You don't want to use them in case they break, but then you're just wasting half your inventory on tools that you never actually use... that's not so great.

A stopgap would be to increase durability and I wouldn't mind that. But I'd almost rather have things like the boomerang and torch made into a new category that doesn't take up "weapon" slots at all. Because that's kinda dumb.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like the tension of managing your weapons/utility items and their durability, that's a big part of the challenge and why expanding your inventory space is desirable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm fine with the weapon durability although I wish there was a shop (and maybe there is I just haven't found it) so you could buy the basics like a one-handed, two-handed, chopping, spear.

If the durability was increased then I would compulsively feel like seeking out the best weapons and horde them jealously which would kill the combat for me. In Diablo and most action RPGs the weapon durability only acts as a timer for the player because you're always one town portal away from fixing it. Here I never have a full weapon inventory because I'm tossing that poo poo or burning it for criticals before it breaks on its own.

There's a neat game called Apotheon that has a similar design where everything is disposable and meant to be thrown in the face of every monster before it explodes. And I wish more games that chose to go with durability would go all in or not at all. It's like you modeled hundreds of pieces of equipment but I'm just going to go with this sword for the whole game, how lame.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The moment I get the message that my weapon is about to break, I immediately backflip and chuck it into the enemy's face, and it is satisfying every time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah exactly. I wouldn't even mind it so long as there's some solution. Sell me the rain climbing cleats or the rain climbing grappling hook or something. Sell me the magic flint and tinder that can start a rain-proof fire, or at least a loving Zippo or something!

Like I said maaaaaybe there is some song of storms that lets you turn off rain at will later in the game, I hope so, but I kinda doubt it. And as-is rain is just a bit too frustrating. I love the feel of the rain and the effect as long as I'm just walking around, but if I have something to do involving climbing or fire, I'm hosed. That's lame.

I manage to do okay with the weapon durability, if you embrace that things are temporary and unlock a bunch more inventory slots it really helps. But it would be nice, yeah. And there's things like, if I have a torch and I'm using that to light fires and it suddenly breaks, gently caress. Now I have to go look for a torch. What if you have some tool that you really like, say the leaf that makes wind, the heavy hammers that are good at stasis hitting, magic rod weapons, the boomerang, etc. In past Zeldas those would be permanent tools, but now that they're lumped in with "weapons" they compete for inventory slots. You don't want to use them in case they break, but then you're just wasting half your inventory on tools that you never actually use... that's not so great.

A stopgap would be to increase durability and I wouldn't mind that. But I'd almost rather have things like the boomerang and torch made into a new category that doesn't take up "weapon" slots at all. Because that's kinda dumb.

I feel that's the tradeoff between upgrading hearts vs stamina, however. I'm at nearly two circles of stamina and yes, rain still kind of stinks, but smaller cliffs are not really an issue. You're also supposed to climb slowly in the rain vs. jumping up, I've learned.

Weapon durability is something that I was largely negative about going into the game, but I really think it plays to the game's strength in a fantastic way. Not to mention there are a few weapons in the game that are a compromise to this problem.

Coughing Hobo posted:

The moment I get the message that my weapon is about to break, I immediately backflip and chuck it into the enemy's face, and it is satisfying every time.

This guy gets it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spergatory posted:

Man, the dialogue in this game is bad, but it would be SO much more tolerable if every line weren't in the worst British accent I have ever heard.

Yeah, it's really loving trash. Mipha's the woooooorst.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't seen a scenario where the solution to a problem isn't nearby. If you need a leaf, chop down a tree. Bombs can destroy trees and rocks. Sticks from trees can be used as makeshift torches in a pinch and where is it that you're needing a torch for so long? I'm probably not as far as you but aside from Hateno I have used a torch zero times. I never thought about using them for heat because I got the cold shirt from the old man and every Bokoblin fortress in a cold area grows about a dozen hot peppers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think torches can break if you just use them to light fires.

At least, it hasn't happened to me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gaspy Conana posted:

I did the ol' Kakariko/Hateno/Zora thing that it seems the devs had in mind. Just got my first quest from the Zora king guy. Haven't really managed to beef myself up very much yet though. Any easy/conveniently located shrines in the starting areas (east) you folks could direct me to?

Yeah I can help. I don't know if people think shrine locations are spoiler material, but better safe than sorry

There are three very easy to reach shrines in central hyrule south of the castle. There's also a boat load if you merely walk to Kakariko from the plateau. There appears to be one at every stable and town, so Hateno and Kakariko both have one. The Twin Peaks also contain no less than three just on their own if you get all the way to the top. Then the area north of Kakariko has another three easy ones.

So yeah, you'll literally walk over them on your way to Kakariko. I've really only discovered one that was probably deliberately put in an out of the way area. Thats the one behind the waterwall if you walk from Kakariko towards Mount Lanayru

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Don't read this unless you have both fought a Hinox and want a spoiler on a unique one

I don't even remember where I found it but somewhere in the Wasteland area (I think?) I found a skeleton hinox with a unique name and a boss bar and everything. I two-shotted him.

The spoiler on HOW I did it:
Or rather, since I had one of those bows that shoots two arrows in rapid succession, I one-shot him.

How? Well, I figured skeletons are vulnerable to explosions, so I shot a pair of bomb arrows at him. First one knocked his head off, second one destroyed the head. Bam, I win!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Jesus they got British posh girl down to a loving t with Zelda.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

I haven't seen a scenario where the solution to a problem isn't nearby. If you need a leaf, chop down a tree. Bombs can destroy trees and rocks. Sticks from trees can be used as makeshift torches in a pinch and where is it that you're needing a torch for so long? I'm probably not as far as you but aside from Hateno I have used a torch zero times. I never thought about using them for heat because I got the cold shirt from the old man and every Bokoblin fortress in a cold area grows about a dozen hot peppers.

There's two quests at least that require you to carry a flame across a giant distance. My torch burned down and here I am cutting tree after tree after tree, and I have like 30 wood and no branches. It can sometimes be a problem.

I'm way past Hateno so yeah, its not really an issue that early on. Or even all that often. But its a flaw in an otherwise truly amazing game.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not sure, but an enemy attacked and I didn't want to switch weapons and put out the fire so I attacked with the torch and it broke.

And then I got a tree branch and lit that on fire and that did break even without using it to attack. So argh.

Its not really a problem outside of these two quests (and one dungeon) but its kinda poo poo that they don't just like, have torches all over the place if that's what we're expected to do. And agh the loving rain keeps coming back!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 7, 2017

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I think some treasure chest's contents scale with the number of hearts or something else. I missed a chest that you could easily get early out of the great plateau and it has a royal broadsword (second best generic one-handed sword) with durability+. No way they throw you a powerful weapon that early on.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think crappy weapon durability isn't anywhere near as annoying as it could have been. it sort of reinforces that you are slamming these things into real, physical objects.

also the transient nature of your weapons fits with the game's theme of being a puny (but glorious) part of an enormous, beautiful and volatile world that will outlast you. it also helps reiterate how powerful and dominating Calamity Ganon is. he's so powerful the actual environment is corrupted by his presence. the loving moon turns to blood. meanwhile, your weak-rear end mop breaks because you've been bonking goblins on the head with it too much.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

This pretty much, though I haven't had a sledge hammer in some time and I do miss it. But I haven't carried anything, "item weapons" in a while, usually it's unnecessary.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also if you see mineable rocks and don't have a sledgehammer, just use bombs. note: risky if on edge of cliff

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
What the christ do I do to trigger this spinning orange pinwheel? I assume it has to do with koroks. I figured I should use a leaf to blow wind at it but nothing is happening.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

What the christ do I do to trigger this spinning orange pinwheel? I assume it has to do with koroks. I figured I should use a leaf to blow wind at it but nothing is happening.

The pinwheel just marks where there is a archery challenge. When you're standing next to it balloons should appear somewhere for you to shoot

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"Taking on the voice of Mipha is Amelia Gotham, who is most famous for her roles as the player character in Let it Die, the Moogles in Mobius Final Fantasy, and Lexi in the Warigami television series."

Amelia, you didn't do a good job

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

The pinwheel just marks where there is a archery challenge. When you're standing next to it balloons should appear somewhere for you to shoot

It marks other korok challenges as well (usually as opposed to puzzles)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Crappy weapons have crappy durability. Once you get the good stuff you'll notice they can last a few battles rather than shattering on the first enemy you defeat. Especially with the durability+ property, those weapons last forever.

It's not swords, bows or shields I'm in short supply. It's arrows. No, not special arrows. I'm sitting on 230 shock arrows. Just regular rear end plain arrows. You can never have enough of them. Warp to every town and buy their stock of arrows, up to around 60-70 arrows only to quickly run out before stores can restock. Yeah, I could use those shock arrows, but come on got to save those for dire emergencies.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
For how much you use your bow, it's pretty ludicrous how few arrows you get for free

Kenshin posted:

It marks other korok challenges as well (usually as opposed to puzzles)

Really? I've only found that specific type of challenge with pinwheels. The short race ones are always started from a pedestal and I haven't found any other variety of challenge besides those two.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Goddamn I love this game so much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Koroks must be a metaphor for someone's OCD. There's a guy on staff who flips out because the offering plate at the shrine has two apples and one bitter orange AH poo poo MUST FIX

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just tried to go up death mountain. First time, I burst into flames of course. Second time I came prepared but everything was super strong and the weapons they dropped were ABSURDLY stronger than everything else. Uh is death mountain a hard "second dungeon" or something? I've considered just trying other ones at this point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

Crappy weapons have crappy durability. Once you get the good stuff you'll notice they can last a few battles rather than shattering on the first enemy you defeat. Especially with the durability+ property, those weapons last forever.

It's not swords, bows or shields I'm in short supply. It's arrows. No, not special arrows. I'm sitting on 230 shock arrows. Just regular rear end plain arrows. You can never have enough of them. Warp to every town and buy their stock of arrows, up to around 60-70 arrows only to quickly run out before stores can restock. Yeah, I could use those shock arrows, but come on got to save those for dire emergencies.

Store stocks do seem low, yeah.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I just tried to go up death mountain. First time, I burst into flames of course. Second time I came prepared but everything was super strong and the weapons they dropped were ABSURDLY stronger than everything else. Uh is death mountain a hard "second dungeon" or something? I've considered just trying other ones at this point.

Its not too bad, but Zora's is definitely the easiest of the 4.

Have you upgraded your armor at all? That's definitely important.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah it's fine. So far they've only broken when I smacked a bokoblin on its noggin with it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Store stocks do seem low, yeah.

Its not too bad, but Zora's is definitely the easiest of the 4.

Have you upgraded your armor at all? That's definitely important.

Uh yes. I dont have the full zora but i have the full hylian. She wont let me upgrade more for some reason though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Uh yes. I dont have the full zora but i have the full hylian. She wont let me upgrade more for some reason though.

You can only upgrade as many levels as you have found great faeries. One great fairy = one level max.

Level one hylian is pretty solid though. You could use the weapons those guys drop and keep pushing into death mountain or you could explore elsewhere, your call!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

i'm saving Death Mountain for last even tho I love Gorons cause motherfucker that place is named Death Mountain

like loving catch me in the desert with my gerudo sisters, no thank you

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Arrow farming tips? I never seem to have enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

YIGA PUNKS gently caress OFF!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Go play with the Lizalfos on the path on the Zora's Domain. They're a little rowdy cause they have Shock Arrows but for me at least, they drop regular Arrow x5 like nobody's business.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Spergatory posted:

Arrow farming tips? I never seem to have enough.

Go find a bokoblin archer. Dodge his poo poo, pick it up.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

you don't actually need to do the dungeons to progress at all

i didn't do any of the dungeons until i had visited every region and done approx. one billion shrines and quests and had the master sword

if death mountain sucks you can just wander somewhere else

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wowza the Blue Flame trial was longer than some actual dungeons are.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm never gonna get good at this game, it's just too much fun to climb and glide around bypassing things. I'm basically playing this as a stealth game :v:

Got to Akalla Citadel Ruins and saw the flying guardians and black bokoblins everywhere and decided nope, I'm not doing that. Found the steepest cliff face where there were no patrols and just climbed all the way to the top, unseen.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Wowza the Blue Flame trial was longer than some actual dungeons are.

if you are looking for interesting, cool and long shrines you may have noticed some oddly artificial spots on the map

also you may have seen an large island in the far southeast that is way way out there (you'll probably need stamina regen food just to float there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

UberJew posted:

also you may have seen an large island in the far southeast that is way way out there (you'll probably need stamina regen food just to float there)

Or you could get in a raft and blow it with the leafblower. :v: