Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Toalpaz posted:

Only the 1700 comes with a fan right? Because stock fans almost surely can't hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz with Ryzen.

All three R7 CPUs have an included HSF, the 1700 has the most basic one, then the X1700 has a beefier one and the X1800 has a big one with full heat pipes and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All three R7 CPUs have an included HSF, the 1700 has the most basic one, then the X1700 has a beefier one and the X1800 has a big one with full heat pipes and so on.

At microcenter only the 1700s had a fan.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

As far as I've seen the 1700 are coming with the middle Wraith Spire fan, and 1700x/1800x don't come with the Wraith Max at this point in time.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Unhappy Meal posted:

As far as I've seen the 1700 are coming with the middle Wraith Spire fan, and 1700x/1800x don't come with the Wraith Max at this point in time.

Huh, you're right, are AMD selling the Stealth and Max separately or something? :confused:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I don't know who Zolkorn is or if they're trustworthy at all, but apparently they disabled an entire CCX in an 1800X and ran it against a 7700K @4Ghz (for both)

Skylake/Kabylake are still going to be better, if you're on Haswell then Devil's Canyon is still better, but if you're moving from anywhere else and are on a budget, based these results only, it'd be hard to recommend Intel. An R5 1400 will come in at 179$ for 4C/8T, and based on B350 motherboard pricing, for the cost of CPU+Mobo you would still come in under by 40-50$ compared to just the cost of the Intel CPU, and get at least 80% the performance assuming the 6600K or 7700K are pushed to 5Ghz. For a comparable price, your Intel option is basically an i3-7350K.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 7, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone care to explain to me, why a purely CPU and memory bound benchmark like Cinebench has similar multithread results with a tiny edge for the Intel on single thread, yet two of the games have a noticeable/considerable framerate advantage?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
That's why people are so interested in the scheduling, because Cinebench is doing the same thing on all cores, so it'll not care as much about cache incoherence across clusters.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
46% better min fps than the 7700K at core/clock parity and the non-profit called AMD only charges $320 for twice the cores?

Looks perfectly legit.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Gamer's Nexus is back, and they still have an endless dump to take on the 1800X. (this time because the 1700 is just as good once you overclock it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbdN7vdCuQ

I don't think people should be putting up official, final reviews of Ryzen just yet. Wait until the memory issues are sorted out, and AMD at least issues an official response about fixing the scheduler. Though, I guess they kinda have to put up reviews, because AMD only gave them chips on the condition that they would review them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People should put up reviews when AMD says they can and they did.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Toalpaz posted:

Only the 1700 comes with a fan right? Because stock fans almost surely can't hit 3.9-4.0 Ghz with Ryzen.

*shrug?* Unless you specifically bought a tray processor, you're probably getting a cooler with your chip.

I mean, the "Wraith Max" cooler there is what AMD was previously boxing with 135W FX processors, so to have a 135W-rated heatsink working on a 65W or 90W part should fare just fine?

edit:

Unhappy Meal posted:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Wait, seriously? <:stonk:>

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 7, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Huh, you're right, are AMD selling the Stealth and Max separately or something? :confused:

No, I read that those coolers are going straight to OEMs. :v:

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 7, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SwissArmyDruid posted:

*shrug?* Unless you specifically bought a tray processor, you're probably getting a cooler with your chip.

I mean, the "Wraith Max" cooler there is what AMD was previously boxing with 135W FX processors, so to have a 135W-rated heatsink working on a 65W or 90W part should fare just fine?

edit:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Wait, seriously? <:stonk:>

Mine didn't come with a cooler.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
On the one hand: Good on AMD for FINALLY learning to cut the cost of a cooler on a part that the people who buy it are most likely going to have their own third-party cooler to begin with. Just the cost of shipping around a pound of metal and plastic *alone* must have saved them a pretty penny.

On the other hand: Why the hell even waste the marketing time and money on letting people know it exists?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
its me, i'm the problem child who likes included stock coolers

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On the one hand: Good on AMD for FINALLY learning to cut the cost of a cooler on a part that the people who buy it are most likely going to have their own third-party cooler to begin with. Just the cost of shipping around a pound of metal and plastic *alone* must have saved them a pretty penny.

On the other hand: Why the hell even waste the marketing time and money on letting people know it exists?

As far as I know the Wraith Max is a perfectly good cooler, really the only types that would be a significant step up are the giant double tower coolers like the NH-D15 or a 240mm AIO, so if there was a Wraith Max packed in it would probably be a real value add for most people.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

As far as I know the Wraith Max is a perfectly good cooler, really the only types that would be a significant step up are the giant double tower coolers like the NH-D15 or a 240mm AIO, so if there was a Wraith Max packed in it would probably be a real value add for most people.

The original wraith weighed in at ~450g, and had performance like a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 in a low profile form factor. The new Wraith is ~540g and a better fan, so yeah only $60+ high end air cooling or water cooling is a real step up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I guess Ryzen does support ECC RAM after all, so I'm back to being interested in it for homelab/NAS/dev station type stuff. Once a board that supports ECC comes out, that is. Ideally mITX.

As long as it supports ECC I could really give a poo poo about the RAM speeds.

As for the power stuff... that only builds my interest further. I'd much rather have 8 cores at 3 GHz and 35W or whatever than 8 cores at 3.7 GHz and 95W for my purposes.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

As long as it supports ECC I could really give a poo poo about the RAM speeds.

Pretty much, my 6 core shitbox from 2 generations ago is getting a bit old, and needs a refresh.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Maxwell Adams posted:

Gamer's Nexus is back, and they still have an endless dump to take on the 1800X. (this time because the 1700 is just as good once you overclock it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbdN7vdCuQ

I don't think people should be putting up official, final reviews of Ryzen just yet. Wait until the memory issues are sorted out, and AMD at least issues an official response about fixing the scheduler. Though, I guess they kinda have to put up reviews, because AMD only gave them chips on the condition that they would review them.

I mean... they're not wrong though. I've been hearing the same thing, the 1700 overclocks just as far as the 1800X so you're paying $170 extra just for shits and giggles. Not that I particularly want AMD to lock it down or anything but why pay more just for a guaranteed overclock, especially when the "4.0 GHz" figure is a meaningless 1-core figure and your chip is actually doing 3.7 GHz all core?

As far as I'm concerned if it's on the market it's more than fair game. In fact I wish reviewers had been able to release reviews a week before they did. Taking money for pre-orders for a mystery box of beans is still bullshit and this kind of teething problem is exactly why.

This one isn't on the reviewers, it's on AMD for trying to rush it out to pad their Q1 sales figures. In fact they probably should have stalled a little longer and released it with Vega.

Now, should reviewers go back and revisit their numbers in a couple months once the beta bugs have been worked out? Yeah, and they do. The good ones at least.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 7, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Measly Twerp posted:

Our favourite Scot talks about the Ryzen launch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

Watched the video and the most interesting thing I seen was zen in consoles. That is an amazing idea because the perf per watt and how little watts zen takes to get some great perf is amazing considering what cpus are currently in consoles I would like to see zen+ in consoles even is I never buy a consoles because pc games will benefit from the lowest power segment getting some great hardware.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
JayzTwoCents says the R7 succeeds in productivity work more than it falls behind in gaming compared to a 7700K and is a good well rounded choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mMBbWHrwM

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
On the one hand, lol at fanboys hyping things to the moon and giving death threats to people who don't fellate Ryzen and AMD to the hilt, but why were they expecting AMD and Glofo (of all places) to exceed Intel, who have been developing this underlying architecture for like 7-9 years now, and have been figuring out how to tweak their process to maximize the performance of their specific architecture for a few years now. Much longer if they are for something that isn't that process dependent or something. How long did it take Intel to make core processors where could achieve speeds over 4 GHz?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Measly Twerp posted:

JayzTwoCents says the R7 succeeds in productivity work more than it falls behind in gaming compared to a 7700K and is a good well rounded choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mMBbWHrwM

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

On the one hand, lol at fanboys hyping things to the moon and giving death threats to people who don't fellate Ryzen and AMD to the hilt

I appreciate JayzTwoCents immediately pointing out that behavior before I'm even 30 seconds into the video.

eames
May 9, 2009

Not sure if this was posted before but low TDP performance looks really, really good.

according to a 3dcenter poster and assuming linear scaling this would translate into:

60W ~3.0GHz in CB15
50W ~2.8GHz
40W ~2.45GHz
30W ~1.9GHz

that's on all 8 cores.
I wouldn't mind a 35W 2.2 Ghz 8-core mobile CPU with a decent single-core turbo frequency. :dance:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also replace ram with hbm and make it an apu

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Please stop teasing, I can only be so erect.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012
Six months ago when RX480 was released, AMD touted that 1080p gaming is where it is at, and buying that, you buy into the future.

Now, with Zen, they say 1440p and 4k is where it is that and it is buying into the feature. And people just eat that poo poo up and don't take a total of a second to consider that contradiction? AMD basically tell people, oh well, go play your video games with a zen and rx480 combo and enjoy that terrible fps. It is the future!

I do not know man, but if I was to buy a gaming rig, the bulk of my money would go into the GPU, not the CPU.

Same thing applies on the intel/nvidia side. Getting a i7 & gtx1060 is a really poor match considering for the same price you get far better results with an i5 & gtx1070 combo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i buy decent cpus (300-400 range) every n years because screwing them and the mobo out is a pain. replacing the gpu is just a plug&play thing in comparison, even with a custom loop.

i do the same with gpus these days because i'm lazy, but it's definitely better to buy cheaper gpus more often, whereas the cpu doesn't really matter that much.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

eames posted:

Not sure if this was posted before but low TDP performance looks really, really good.

according to a 3dcenter poster and assuming linear scaling this would translate into:

60W ~3.0GHz in CB15
50W ~2.8GHz
40W ~2.45GHz
30W ~1.9GHz

that's on all 8 cores.
I wouldn't mind a 35W 2.2 Ghz 8-core mobile CPU with a decent single-core turbo frequency. :dance:

Huh, I must have misunderstood TheStilt, maybe 2.8Ghz was the single core boost when TDP limited? Holy poo poo though, someone cram this into a workstation laptop with a Quadro or FirePro.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Huh, I must have misunderstood TheStilt, maybe 2.8Ghz was the single core boost when TDP limited? Holy poo poo though, someone cram this into a workstation laptop with a Quadro or FirePro.

Seems like that chart was made using XFR, manual undervolting might yield better results. Sadly Raven Ridge tops out at 4 cores so I doubt we'll see laptop octas until Zen+.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I love cats posted:

Six months ago when RX480 was released, AMD touted that 1080p gaming is where it is at, and buying that, you buy into the future.

I remember them saying they were focusing on mainstream/1080p because that's where the volume is.

quote:

Now, with Zen, they say 1440p and 4k is where it is that and it is buying into the feature. And people just eat that poo poo up and don't take a total of a second to consider that contradiction? AMD basically tell people, oh well, go play your video games with a zen and rx480 combo and enjoy that terrible fps. It is the future!

There's no contradiction because the 480 and R7 are aimed at different market segments. I'm sure AMD would love if you bought an R7 and paired it with a 480 but basically no one is doing that, they aren't "just eating that poo poo up," they're getting 1070s and 1080s like anyone sane would if they're spending that much on a CPU and plan to use it for gaming.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ars published their brief Naples preview:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/amd-naples-server-processor-more-cores-bandwidth-memory-than-intel/

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Servethehome have theirs here. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-naples-competition-re-ignites-zen-hits-server-market/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

So basically you get twice as many channels per CCX as the consumer chips? Sounds good to me, that means you're getting quad channel on an 8-core chip just like Intel. More, even, in the multi-socket systems.

Assuming the OEMs can get it stable, I guess.

Although, this does mean that AMD was holding out on the enthusiasts like crazy, $500 for a mega gimped chip with half its poo poo turned off is pretty lol after the whole "AMD has more of everything!" run-up to the Ryzen launch, and the poo poo-tier beta drivers

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

Theris posted:

I remember them saying they were focusing on mainstream/1080p because that's where the volume is.

There's no contradiction because the 480 and R7 are aimed at different market segments. I'm sure AMD would love if you bought an R7 and paired it with a 480 but basically no one is doing that, they aren't "just eating that poo poo up," they're getting 1070s and 1080s like anyone sane would if they're spending that much on a CPU and plan to use it for gaming.

This is correct if you were to ignore Zen's marketing which focuses a lot on gaming or the stupidity that goes on in gamers nexus comment section or /r amd.

What I am saying is the community surrounding this product is disgusting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I love cats posted:

This is correct if you were to ignore Zen's marketing which focuses a lot on gaming or the stupidity that goes on in gamers nexus comment section or /r amd.

What I am saying is the community surrounding this product is disgusting.

listen bud who are you to tell me that a couple crossfire RX 480s is an inferior gaming experience to just ponying up for a GTX 1070?

not my real dad that's for sure

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

So basically you get twice as many channels per CCX as the consumer chips? Sounds good to me, that means you're getting quad channel on an 8-core chip just like Intel. More, even, in the multi-socket systems.

Although, this does mean that AMD was holding out on the enthusiasts like crazy, $500 for a mega gimped chip with half its poo poo turned off is pretty lol after the whole "AMD has more of everything!" run-up to the Ryzen launch, and the poo poo-tier beta drivers

Nah, it's just Octochannel for a single Naples CPU, which is just four Zen CPU's stapled together. Hexadecchannel is for the dual Naples platfrom.

Paul pls.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

AKAIF, the Naples 32 core chips are made from four Zen 8 core modules on a single package. This is how they get to 8 channel memory by being 4x dual channel, and servers filled with these beasts would give the data scientists/architects at CERN a raging boner due to the throughput.

So, no, the 8 core Ryzens are not gimped, the Napels chips are essentially quad ryzen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JockstrapManthrust posted:

AKAIF, the Naples 32 core chips are made from four Zen 8 core modules on a single package. This is how they get to 8 channel memory by being 4x dual channel, and servers filled with these beasts would give the data scientists/architects at CERN a raging boner due to the throughput.

So, no, the 8 core Ryzens are not gimped, the Napels chips are essentially quad ryzen.

Oh, welp, gimped or no I was kinda hoping for quad-channel Ryzen, it would be unstable as hell given the R7 performance but it'd probably cook for throughput loads. :sigh:

It's still probably going to cook for throughput loads though. Especially given that Ryzen seems to clock down nicely.

• Locked thread