Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you could get in a raft and blow it with the leafblower. :v:

waste a weapon slot on a leafblower? blasphemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Koroks own and here is what I've seen for methods to get them so far

pinwheels marking archery challenge. Hidden under stones. Completing stone circles. Fixing metal landmarks. Running through a ring.

Let me know if you know of others

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Huh, there really is a mask salesman in here who sells masks of specialized utility...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kashuno posted:

pinwheels marking archery challenge. Hidden under stones. Completing stone circles. Fixing metal landmarks. Running through a ring.

Jumping/throwing stuff into circles in the water

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Climb any sloped surface with any level of stamina, even while raining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCN5fnJViw

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I get that the game is challenging and forces you to explore but i'm not able to do anything and I'd love some general pointers.

I have 5 hearts and an upgraded Hylian set from the great fairie (hood, tunic, trousers)

I have about 1200 rupees, should I get something else?

I'm dying a LOT, and while i know it's supposed to be hard, there's no way it should be THIS often. Maybe I'm bad at combat? Trying to figure this out. Any tips from someone that may have sucked before they had some kind of epiphany? :p

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UberJew posted:

waste a weapon slot on a leafblower? blasphemy

Weapon slots won't matter on that island anyways :)

Kashuno posted:

Placing an apple on a statue if there's other statues with apples and this one doesn't

stuff like that, fixing the pattern

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kashuno posted:

Jumping into lilly-pad rings in ponds

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Weapon slots won't matter on that island anyways :)

Placing an apple on a statue if there's other statues with apples and this one doesn't

stuff like that, fixing the pattern

gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where is the great fairy in Gerudo Town

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

somnambulist posted:

I get that the game is challenging and forces you to explore but i'm not able to do anything and I'd love some general pointers.

I have 5 hearts and an upgraded Hylian set from the great fairie (hood, tunic, trousers)

I'm dying a LOT, and while i know it's supposed to be hard, there's no way it should be THIS often. Maybe I'm bad at combat? Trying to figure this out. Any tips from someone that may have sucked before they had some kind of epiphany? :p

What are you dying to? Regular goblin and lizard dudes? Then yeah, you need to get better at combat.
Practice at dodging and reading their moves. Use jumping attacks and heavy weapons to stagger and bash shields away. If engaging with a big group let them chase you while dropping a bomb behind to spread them out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 7, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

somnambulist posted:

Walk around with temporary hearts you get from cooking hearty radishes or other hearty ingredients into dishes, stick some faeries into your back pocket (sneak up on them while they are floating around the great fairy and grab em), run away more often

wander around! there are two more great fairy seeds visible from the tops of towers and unlocking more lets you upgrade stuff higher

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This is the first open world game where I've opted for travelling on foot over horses/cars. Witcher 3's world is beautiful, but I'd typically whip across the countryside between towns. I also quickly got tired of map litter like treasure chests and monster nests and learned to avoid them. In Zelda I can't ride for a minute without getting curious about an eye-catching tree or rock and before I know it I've climbed a mountain and glided miles away from my poor horse.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

This is the first open world game where I've opted for travelling on foot over horses/cars. Witcher 3's world is beautiful, but I'd typically whip across the countryside between towns. I also quickly got tired of map litter like treasure chests and monster nests and learned to avoid them. In Zelda I can't ride for a minute without getting curious about an eye-catching tree or rock and before I know it I've climbed a mountain and glided miles away from my poor horse.

thankfully (as a protip for other readers) you can go to any stable and board a horse from anywhere in the world then retrieve them

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

somnambulist posted:

It kinda depends on where you are and what you're trying to do! Are you up in the north, or in central Hyrule or over in the West. The game pushes you to the East first story wise so the other areas are a bit more dangerous, totally doable but can be a bit rough if you're still trying to get your legs. I used to be very bad at this game at the start and still kinda am, but spending some time getting my hands dirty near Kakariko has gave me good experience and taught me poo poo like the importance of preparation and now I feel pretty confident. Like even Lynels are pretty easy for me know, taking only one death on my last attempt.

Except of there are Electric Wizzrobes and it's raining already cause that's a nightmare

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kashuno posted:

Climbing to the top of pillars/trees/flagpoles/spires. If you walk through a flower and it explodes look around because it'll reappear nearby, walk through that flower, repeat until Korok appears. Sparkly lights flying around on water that look like fairies with no fairy, catch it.

Ed: Under leaf piles you have to clear with bombs (the leaf won't blow leaves, boo).

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 7, 2017

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kashuno posted:

Boulder golf, chasing teleporting flowers, picking fruit off trees, bigger shrines in the south which don't tell you what fruit you need to use.

somnambulist posted:

Fight dirty. Sneak around, backstab people, snipe sentries, explode barrels, kite, meteor slam people from the paraglider, stun them with lightning... direct combat should be a last resort, and you absolutely want to try to limit how many enemies you're fighting at once.

Buy the stealth armour ASAP, keep a stock of fairies on you at all times... if the enemy's on foot, taking them on from horseback helps a lot. If they're mounted, knock them off immediately.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

It kinda depends on where you are and what you're trying to do! Are you up in the north, or in central Hyrule or over in the West. The game pushes you to the East first story wise so the other areas are a bit more dangerous, totally doable but can be a bit rough if you're still trying to get your legs. I used to be very bad at this game at the start and still kinda am, but spending some time getting my hands dirty near Kakariko has gave me good experience and taught me poo poo like the importance of preparation and now I feel pretty confident. Like even Lynels are pretty easy for me know, taking only one death on my last attempt.

Except of there are Electric Wizzrobes and it's raining already cause that's a nightmare

man i haven't beaten a lynel yet and i beat the game

last time i tried it one shot my poor horse with an electric arrow and proceeded to wreck my dumb face

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just finished the fourth dungeon, and I guess it's time to go for the final stretch.

I'm sad it's ending... :smith:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

A "modest" test of strength. :stonklol:

30 mins. It took me 30 mins.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I just finished the fourth dungeon, and I guess it's time to go for the final stretch.

I'm sad it's ending... :smith:

Man, I've been playing this game more or less continuously since noon Friday and I've only done the elephant.

The Legend of Zelda: Link Goes For A Relaxed Stroll

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My dudes I have just started opening the way to my first dungeon, I've explored four of the fifteen regions in regions in this game and I've been playing nearly non-stop since release since I'm on break

how the hell are yall beating this game already

UberJew posted:

man i haven't beaten a lynel yet and i beat the game

last time i tried it one shot my poor horse with an electric arrow and proceeded to wreck my dumb face
Lynels are a terror, it's just a whole lot of Perfect backflip counters and like busting four of your weapons over his head

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

My dudes I have just started opening the way to my first dungeon, I've explored four of the fifteen regions in regions in this game and I've been playing nearly non-stop since release since I'm on break

no idea, i got the master sword, finished all the memories and traipsed through all the regions before i decided to beat the donjons and ganon, too

i still have a TON of poo poo to do ofc but i did A Lot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Modest Tests of Strength are easy enough once you have the hearts and equipment. I'm still scared of the major ones, though. And even though I could probably defeat a Guardian still haven't tried it out.

Got like 48 shrines and the Master Sword. The cutscene when you get made me cry. It just took me straight back to being 8 years old again. gently caress. Then obviously immediately went and got the Hylian Shield

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey where is Rohan the blacksmith?. My special weapon broke. :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey where is Rohan the blacksmith?. My special weapon broke. :(

Goron city, to the left of boss

also wow all these ways to gather korok, even some that I did but didn't immediately come to mind. This game rules

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh yeah, I've found Goddess statues to exchange spirit orbs at in every big settlement I've been to so far except Zora's Domain. Is there just not one here or is it out of the way? I missed the one in Hateno for a while so this could be the same thing here too.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Modest Tests of Strength are easy enough once you have the hearts and equipment. I'm still scared of the major ones, though. And even though I could probably defeat a Guardian still haven't tried it out.

Got like 48 shrines and the Master Sword. The cutscene when you get made me cry. It just took me straight back to being 8 years old again. gently caress. Then obviously immediately went and got the Hylian Shield

since i've played a bunch of exalted back in the day as soon as i applied an ancient arrow to the eye of a robot i started thinking/calling all the ancient gear first age gear

you should give it a shot :yeah:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Oh yeah, I've found Goddess statues to exchange spirit orbs at in every big settlement I've been to so far except Zora's Domain. Is there just not one here or is it out of the way? I missed the one in Hateno for a while so this could be the same thing here too.

Base of the stairway into the throne room. Where's the one in Hateno?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Man the way the game fucks with your expectations is awesome. I was starting to think I had overprepared and geared up too well and took away some of the fun of the combat. Then I ran into the black bokoblins (who can survive the encampment blowing up and come away with most of their health), and I was like okay, we're back on.

Then I went and did a nearby shrine for a little relaxing puzzle solving after dying a bunch of times. It was a modest test of strength. That fucker destroyed a ton of my equipment including two awesome swords I had just picked up, and forced me to eat a bunch of my best food. It was loving awesome.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Autonomous Monster posted:

Base of the stairway into the throne room. Where's the one in Hateno?
Oh god, how did I miss that, thank you!

The Hateno one is In the front yard of the raised house with an archway at the top of the steps, it's in a little house of it's own to the right

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Escobarbarian posted:

Hylian Shield

How do you get this? Does someone just have it or is it a small quest?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
All of my amiibos gave me elemental arrows today I mean come on sons

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is it just me or does it feel like a lot of shrines can be solved by cheating? I mean the obvious one is the marble maze shrine, but some others make you feel like you're pulling one over the game mechanics and it feels good

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So I think I broke Satori Mountain. Anyone know if you can actually catch the weird rainbow horse that's there?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Calaveron posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like a lot of shrines can be solved by cheating? I mean the obvious one is the marble maze shrine, but some others make you feel like you're pulling one over the game mechanics and it feels good

Yeah, but I kinda love how it's not stringent about it. Like surely they noticed some exploits and let them slide. It's fun, inspiring the out-of-the-box thinking you get in Deus Ex.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spergatory posted:

In other news, what began as cowardice has now solidified into a legit playstyle. I am Ninja. My sneaking suit is on 90% of the time and most of my kills are stealth. I watch, I wait, I plan my routes. I don't bother with footpaths; I climb walls and scale sheer cliffs. I can come from anywhere, and you won't know it until my sword is already lodged up your rear end. Game rules. :ninja:

Meanwhile I am wearing the berserker hat and heavy armor, managed to kill a blue lynel which gave me enough gear for a moderate test of strength, which gave me enough gear for a major test of strength and THOSE weapons are great. So I'm running around on RIP AND TEAR mode and by the time they broke I had a nice stockpile of good weapons to keep up the ripping..

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

somnambulist posted:

Emphasizing the "Remember to eat" stuff already said. When stuff is not outright flattening you in one hit, a big thing to remember in this game compared to every other Zelda game is that enemies never drop hearts anymore. So you have to stop and eat to make up for any hits taken.

Even the default three hearts goes a lot longer, when every other enemy or piece of scenery will drop hearts to refill them. When you have to stop and snack for even a fraction of a heart, 6 hearts can feel like nothing.

I value stamina mushrooms more than my own life from how much I love climbing things that are not quite practical to climb for me currently. "Well time to see this plot NPC-Wait, hold up" *crawls under house to collect mushrooms*

Pretty please tell me there is an item that exist that makes it so you can climb in the rain with no issue.

Calaveron posted:

That depends, does shooting a fire arrow at an explosive barrel in the water only for it to not explode. and deciding "gently caress it, time to throw bombs from an ice pillar" count as cheating? I think that was the only explicit "Not using the set props" for me so far. But I'm only 5 heart containers +2 spheres in shrine wise :downs: (More marked, but ooh distraction! oh wait I'm on the opposite side of a mountain now)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm changing clothes a bunch but except for when I need to wear compulory Gerudo clothes I haven't taken off the red bandana I found under Dueling Peaks right after leaving the Plateau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just bumblefucked my way through the Lost Woods (cool puzzle!) to the Master Sword. :getin:

Now, to get strong enough to pull it. :eng99: