Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

TheChaosPath posted:

lol, remember that time the Cubs gave Jason Heyward like 180 million dollars

lol, remember that time the Cubs traded a bunch of dudes to rent Aroldis Chapman

http://i.imgur.com/YxeEaNA.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

He got a triple later in this game that probably should have been a double.

What I'm trying to say is thank you.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

I don't know, I think it's just that if I were a member of a union that's had decades of having management try to gently caress me over at every opportunity, that's the kind of information I'd be uncomfortable with my employer having access to.

Can't wait until how often a player gets laid is brought up in his arbitration hearing.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
It's Leonys Martin's birthday so a mariachi band to follow him around for a bit.

https://twitter.com/AlcalaFernando/status/838793695809822720

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Mike Morse is a treasure

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/838830211844100097

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

Fun fact he literally never played baseball before last year.

Strange but true.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

quote:

A direct correlation was made between recovery and injury and hitting and pitching performance.

BREAKING NEWS: IF YOU'RE HURT YOU PLAY WORSE THAN IF YOU'RE NOT

This is the kind of hard hitting analysis we need from new technology.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
E:^^^ The Giants didn't understand this last year so it will be breaking news

Spoeank posted:

Fun fact he literally never played baseball before last year.

Strange but true.

This theory passes the eye test with regards to his batting

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Injury correlating to performance? That's just confirmation bias, I'm not gonna fall into the SABER nerds trap.

Clearly on field performance is a direct reflection of a players innate grit and hustle and no fancy numbers gonna change my mind.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

It will be interesting to see if, in pitchers, an increase in WHOOPs leads to a decrease in WHIPs.

IcePhoenix posted:

BREAKING NEWS: IF YOU'RE HURT YOU PLAY WORSE THAN IF YOU'RE NOT

This is the kind of hard hitting analysis we need from new technology.

That line presents its point poorly. Too many "and"s. It should say "A player who doesn't allow time for proper recovery is more like to be injured and/or see a decrease in their performance level."

This is known to be true in endurance sports (see Training Load). I'd like to see the data on baseball.

iKickDogs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 7, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

Jason Heyward is basically the worst baseball player in the history of the game.

He hit a home run in today's game, so his swing is completely, 100% fixed. He'll be gunning for the MVP in 2017.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He hit a home run in today's game, so his swing is completely, 100% fixed. He'll be gunning for the MVP in 2017.

and now a bases-loaded double so make that World Series MVP

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Is Jason Heyward Back?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Gobias Ind. posted:

Is Jason Heyward Back?

- me, approximately 40 times from 2011-2014

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is a pro click: 7 single-game feats that we may never see again

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/04/18/168939210/the-stories-behind-mlb-feats-we-may-never-see-again

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Is Jason Heyward Back?

He's an elite quarterback.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Worth it just to see Bartolo Colon.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Young skinny Bartolo at the end there was kinda trippy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Pancakes posted:

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

Well they only had seven spots. Make your own drat list if you're such a good list-maker.

edit: I'm just busting your balls. That would be a good thing to also have on the list.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

iKickDogs posted:

It will be interesting to see if, in pitchers, an increase in WHOOPs leads to a decrease in WHIPs.

That line presents its point poorly. Too many "and"s. It should say "A player who doesn't allow time for proper recovery is more like to be injured and/or see a decrease in their performance level."

This is known to be true in endurance sports (see Training Load). I'd like to see the data on baseball.

SAS invented a WHOOPS stat. It was Walks, Hits, and Opposing OBP Plus Slugging, somehow combined. That begat WHOOPS+ and, my personal favorite, WHOOPS-. I might be making up WHOOPS- and don't ask me how to derive any of them.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Mr. Fix It posted:

SAS invented a WHOOPS stat. It was Walks, Hits, and Opposing OBP Plus Slugging, somehow combined. That begat WHOOPS+ and, my personal favorite, WHOOPS-. I might be making up WHOOPS- and don't ask me how to derive any of them.

Thank you. I knew I had heard WHOOPS before and the only place it would have been was on here.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Popete posted:

Injury correlating to performance? That's just confirmation bias, I'm not gonna fall into the SABER nerds trap.

Clearly on field performance is a direct reflection of a players innate grit and hustle and no fancy numbers gonna change my mind.

Players with a lot of grit never get hurt, so maybe there is something to it after all!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah I mean Russell Martin def wasn't hurt for most of 2016 and he's tough and look how that worked out for him

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martiru01-field.shtml

(See advanced fielding - c baserunning)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

iKickDogs posted:

"Poorly" is an understatement, I'd say. What you said is still a bit silly to me that it's not common sense, though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The WBC owns

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Pancakes posted:

How quickly people forget to credit the equally remarkable feat from Chan Ho Park - the only pitcher to give up 2 grand slams in the same inning to the same batter.

Hell, now that I think about it, that record is maybe less likely to be broken. I have no idea.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: Grandy's thumb is healed up, Plawecki's knee is healed up, but now Lucas Duda, Noah Syndergaard, and Travis d'Arnaud have been poisoned are all gut-sick.

NY Daily News posted:

Lucas Duda was out of the workouts and lineup Monday with the flu. The bug is going around the clubhouse. Travis d'Arnaud was fighting it as he homered for the second time this spring on Monday and Noah Syndergaard, who is due to start on Wednesday, is also trying to shake off the last of it.

V: Mets gonna Met

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How lovely is his agent? There are minor league players (good ones, not the lovely org guys) getting their shoes paid for...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

How quickly people forget to credit the equally remarkable feat from Chan Ho Park - the only pitcher to give up 2 grand slams in the same inning to the same batter.

Hell, now that I think about it, that record is maybe less likely to be broken. I have no idea.

If you don't think Matheny would leave a pitcher on the mound to keep getting shelled after giving up a grand slam, you didn't learn from the saga of Mike Mayers.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/st-louis-cardinals-mike-mayers-debut-mlb-history-worst-debut-ever-072516

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Is it just "bad" luck on my part or did Matheny hang starters out to dry incessantly last year? I feel like every game I was witness to last year involved someone pitching 100+ pitches then being pulled 3 batters too late?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You can't embarrass your guys like that. Just can't. You've got to trust that they can dig deep enough to get another four batters out.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
N: Eric Gagne just pitched the bottom of the 3rd in the Canada vs Blue Jays game. Twitter says 91-93 Fastball and threw a changeup, slider, and curve.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N:
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/839191301576871938
https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/839191733170802688

V:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

GOODYEAR, Ariz. – It was a vintage Cincinnati Reds scene. Bronson Arroyo was on the mound, and Devin Mesoraco was behind the plate. If not for the group of young hitters who weren’t even born when Arroyo was drafted, it could have easily been mistaken for an intersquad game from 2013.

Arroyo threw one inning against Reds minor-leaguers, and Mesoraco caught an inning and took an at-bat. The next step for both should be a Cactus League debut.

:unsmith:

quote:

Arroyo gave up a run and two hits – to Beau Amaral and Gavin LaValley – and got two groundouts. He struck out Angelo Gumbs to end his frame. His fastball velocity was sitting around 83 mph, according to a scout.

:whitewater:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/839198709875273729

V: Jake Arrieta is a fuckwad, and I take back every nice thing I ever said about his beautiful thighs after the Body Issue.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: https://twitter.com/thekapman/status/839198709875273729

V: Jake Arrieta is a fuckwad, and I take back every nice thing I ever said about his beautiful thighs after the Body Issue.

Yeah, I'm regretting that jersey purchase a little more all the time.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Greinke should have won the Cy Young

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is great.

Also, there's a dude on this season of MTV's The Challenge who looks like a young Arod when he's looking right at the camera and I really hope he wins and then shouts "How does it feel to be poor, motherfuckers?" at the other contestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, I'm regretting that jersey purchase a little more all the time.

Because he'd toss one at a rookie for bat flipping on him? Are you guys that soft?

I'm all for bat flips and celebrating and poo poo talking, it makes the game more fun for the viewer, but if you're a young gun doing that to a pitcher you know exactly what you're signing up for.

• Locked thread