Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well. My description of Bum gently caress Nowhere is actually pretty apt then :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well. My description of Bum gently caress Nowhere is actually pretty apt then :D

It's a pretty quaint little place really. They're along a major state highway so you can get anything you want or need delivered from Amazon and they have high speed internet now. It's definitely a place I would consider retiring to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

It's a pretty quaint little place really. They're along a major state highway so you can get anything you want or need delivered from Amazon and they have high speed internet now. It's definitely a place I would consider retiring to.

I say this with as much love as is possible: you need to get the gently caress out of Indiana. Move those plans up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I say this with as much love as is possible: you need to get the gently caress out of Indiana. Move those plans up.

I HATE PEOPLE.

Under 4000 people would probably be the best option for me.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There's an 86 Mustang SVO on Craigslist for $2500. I emailed the guy. It has 232,000 miles, and I don't really like Fox Bodies much, but a 'late' SVO is a pretty rare thing for that price! Ideas?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm gonna come out and say it: Downtown Indy isn't all that bad, I prefer it to where I live in the UK which is something I never thought I'd say, but then again I'm comparing it to Reading. Mass Ave is legitemately a chill place to go and have fun, everyone's friendly and open-minded.

The rest of the state, outside of some neat state parks, is universally terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jammyozzy posted:

The rest of the state, outside of some neat state parks, is universally terrible.

It's fine if you avoid people.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rhyno posted:

It's fine if you avoid people.

Presumably you're including yourself in that? :v:

This place does do odd things to people's minds. The other day I got to listen to a green card holder explain why immigration and foreigners coming to take American jobs was a bad thing. :psyduck:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got my hall-effect keyboard in the mail today.

It's very nice but it's very weird to type on. I usually use a clicky keyboard but I really like this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jammyozzy posted:

Presumably you're including yourself in that? :v:

This place does do odd things to people's minds. The other day I got to listen to a green card holder explain why immigration and foreigners coming to take American jobs was a bad thing. :psyduck:

Of course I am!

Today I had lunch with a few friends and one of them brought his buddy who's visiting from Texas. He didn't get what he ordered and loudly exclaimed that he was "Gypped" like four times. One of the people at the table is of Roma descent and was clearly uncomfortable so I asked him to stop saying it and explained how it's derived from gypsy etc etc. He told me "Well I don't spell it that way so no worries." and carried on with his conversation. I excused myself, paid my check and left.

So yeah, people are terrible no matter where they are from but Indiana does seem to be a melting pot for horror.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So today we took the kids to a matinee showing of the Lego Batman movie, and it was my 3yo's first theatre experience. Movie was pretty good, not as good as The Lego Movie but worth a rental at least if you have kids.

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

Mine:
The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1989 US release)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Event Horizon. I was like 8.

E: that or 5th element.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Toy story I think

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

angryrobots posted:

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

The Lion King at the West Edmonton Mall.

Second: Jurassic Park.

Edit: Holy poo poo CSB. That's tough to follow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAH what? There is an actual place called Hicksville and not just shorthand for "One horse town in the middle of nowhere populated by inbreds"?

There is literally a town named cow town here. It is in spanish ("Vacaville"), but still.

It is a very far out suburb for San Francisco and Sacramento.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Batman returns. The penguin scared me so bad I left halfway through the movie in tears. I was like 5. Still won't watch it. :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nm posted:

There is literally a town named cow town here. It is in spanish ("Vacaville"), but still.

It is a very far out suburb for San Francisco and Sacramento.
I.... Had never considered that before.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Muppet Christmas I think.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Little Mermaid, with my grandmother. My mom tells me that Grandma pretended to be frightened at some of the Ursula scenes, and I (who couldn't have been older than 2) reassured her that it was just a movie.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I have a memory if watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, the original Disney one, in a theater when I was very young. Turns out I remembered right, even the theater I saw it in (Paramount Theater in Kankakee Illinois, the town where I was born). Disney theater-re-released it lots of times. Based on Wikipedia it would have had been in 1987. I was born in 1984, meaning I was three years old. Rad.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

angryrobots posted:

Mine:

Bambi. Not the original theatrical release ('42), one of the early 80s re-releases. My mom says I was 2-3 years old (so '81-82).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm pretty sure the earliest film I have a clear memory of is Star Trek IV (yep, the whale one) and being super excited by the trailer for TNG which was just about to premier. I was two. I've been a nerd for a long-rear end-time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

I know I went to a bunch of them before this, but the one that really stands out in my memory was a double-feature at a drive in when I was 10 or 11 - the movies were "Grizzly" and "Eat My Dust". Dumb bear movie gave me nightmares since I went camping all the time back then. Eat My Dust was pretty awesome, in my memories it was just a long car chase, although I'm sure there was other stuff in it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

angryrobots posted:

So today we took the kids to a matinee showing of the Lego Batman movie, and it was my 3yo's first theatre experience. Movie was pretty good, not as good as The Lego Movie but worth a rental at least if you have kids.

Mine:

I remember my step dad taking me to see Starship Troopers at the movies. If not that, then I vividly remember seeing Jumanji because the theater had added animals breaking through the front walls.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

Mine:

I wanted to go see Milo and Otis but my younger brother wanted to see...

Safety Dance posted:

The Little Mermaid, with my grandmother. My mom tells me that Grandma pretended to be frightened at some of the Ursula scenes, and I (who couldn't have been older than 2) reassured her that it was just a movie.

We both cried in the Ursula scene.

cursedshitbox posted:

Event Horizon. I was like 8.

E: that or 5th element.

poo poo man, I watched Event Horizon when I was in my early 20's and didn't sleep well :ohdear:

Rewatched the Fifth Element last night though. Such a good movie

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

slothrop posted:

I wanted to go see Milo and Otis but my younger brother wanted to see...

We both cried in the Ursula scene.

poo poo man, I watched Event Horizon when I was in my early 20's and didn't sleep well :ohdear:

Fifth Element rocks, so does Milo and Otis. I watched them both a ton growing up. I know i watched Brave Little Toaster a lot too. I can't remember my first theater movie, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The BLT scarred me as a child

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The earliest I remember was Jurassic Park, so I saw it at either 8 years old or 9 when it came to the cheapies. The theater was so full I wasnt able to sit with my family. Don't remember my reaction.

My current reaction is its a p good movie.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

slothrop posted:

20 years later i still refuse to watch that loving movie.

5th element? yeah thats still a very very close favorite.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Buncha blasphemers in here claiming movies existed before Fury Road

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a very, very vague memory of a drive in of "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" as a very, very young lad and I am pretty sure I fell asleep in it. I also vaguely remember the Gaiety Theater in Grande Prairie to watch The Empire Strikes back definitely remember Gremlins with my aunts.

I rented Event Horizon with my now wife when we were dating and Sam Neal hosed her up when he had no eyes. To this day she remembers it and it kind of warped her.

e: Sam Neal loving her up when we were dating not sexual in any way

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember going to two movies as a child.

the Empire Strikes Back and the Last Starfighter.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I went through wikipedia entries of movies released in the 70's, and I'd probably guess that my first movie was Return of the Pink Panther in 1976. I remember Inspector Cluseau having random fights with his sidekick, Kato, but otherwise all I know is I saw it.

But the next movie on the list that I remember seeing is Star Wars. I'm probably the youngest age that can remember seeing it first run in the theater, I was 6. I saw it at least 3 times, it was pretty special. The sand people terrified me and when Obi Wan cut the arm off the wolfman in the cantina I almost threw up.

Was pretty lucky to be 7-12 years old in the golden age of Spielberg and Lucas.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Lexus sc300 lower control arms + ball joints are $$$$ as hell, goddamn. There are no aftermarket ones either, but you can use supra ones which are about a third of the price for some reason. Supposedly it messes with the ride a little bit.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I vaguely recall going to see bambi when I was really young,.

I was like 10-11 going to see Jurassic park, and they wouldn't sell us tickets because we weren't 13. We bought tickets to another movie and just went in anyway. I remember being nervous that someone was going to come in and pull us out of there. Also the raptors gave me nightmares for awhile.

I watched a lot of inappropriate movies when I was younger, because my grandparents lived a few blocks away, so my grandpa would take me to the rental store and I could get whatever I wanted. Jaws, Tremors, and Maximum Overdrive are a few that I REALLY should not have been allowed to watch at the time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KakerMix posted:

Lexus sc300 lower control arms + ball joints are $$$$ as hell, goddamn. There are no aftermarket ones either, but you can use supra ones which are about a third of the price for some reason. Supposedly it messes with the ride a little bit.
Let me introduce you to the world of Porsche, were most things are still available but you just have to mortgage your house or sell your child into prostitution to buy parts.

Possibly both.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I finally got to a real doctor. This insurance poo poo in the past year has made it impossible for me to afford regular medical care, and pretty much nobody but low income clinics run by nurse practitioners accept my insurance within a good 15 miles (I drove 35 miles to see this doctor today). Plus two ER trips this year for bad anxiety that had me thinking heart issues. My insurance is poo poo and almost nobody takes it... the nearest hospital that takes it is 15 miles away. :argh:

Friend of mine recommended the clinic she goes to. I called them, and they have one doctor on staff that takes my insurance (who happens to own the place). Went in today. Super nice doctor, really great to deal with, and all of the staff was great.

I never knew you could do a lipid panel via a finger prick and a glass tube. Turns out my LDL is high (as I expected). They did an A1C, and my A1C is firmly at "not even close to diabetic stage" (5.3) (when I was diagnosed, it was over 8). They did a blood draw too, for the typical CBC, but also for liver function - I expressed concern about the statin he was going to put me on, so he ordered a liver test as part of the bloodwork.

He also said he'd bill all of the bloodwork under a yearly wellness checkup, so that I wouldn't have to pay anything. Since I already have documented diabetes and high blood pressure, it's a non-issue to bill the bloodwork that way.

So.. removed one beetus med. Added a cholesterol md. 1 month supply of 4 meds (1 beetus, 2 blood pressure, 1 cholesterol) was less than :10bux:. Walked out of the dr's office without paying a penny, with a followup in 6 months (assuming they don't see anything alarming in the bloodwork).

Ephphatha posted:

DashCommand? Looks nice apart from the absurd permissions requirements (contacts, identity?). Probably gonna give that a miss unless they update it for on-demand permissions.

If you're on Android 6 or 7, you can disable individual permissions after the app is installed. I assume they use identity if you actually buy the app - to verify it's being used on a phone using the same identity.

Palmer Performance (the company behind DashCommand) is old school as hell too. Remember ScanXL? That's them.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm think Carmax will do the same thing, buy it not requiring you to buy one of theirs. Might be worth looking at to see how the offers compare if you haven't already.

FWIW, Carmax gave me a very fair deal on my old car - I was planning on selling it PP for $1500, with wiggle room down to $1000 (paint was rough, 2 body panels rough from being t-boned while parked, front bumper damage, rattling timing chain, dying ac compressor, but a clean interior, new clutch, and transaxle was recently replaced). They gave me $1200 for it, and I knew from the start it'd be going to auction (running the VIN a few months later confirmed that it went to auction).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 7, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

angryrobots posted:

Mine:

An American Tail, 1986. It was the film that made me fall in love with Don Bluth's animation style.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

I live in a city surrounded by rednecks and I have never heard that.

CT I dunno if you're joking but there is a town called Hicksville like 40 minutes from me.

You're not far enough west. I believe it's a Minnesota/Iowa/Missouri/Nebraska phrase.

angryrobots posted:

Mine:

All Dogs Go to Heaven, also 1989.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You bought a shoebox in the middle the road in Yorkshire?

No, I'm a posho southerner. House has room for a drive or maybe even a small garage but the council would need to extend the road a bit first :mrgw:

• Locked thread