Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Goodbye Colin Barnett

Goodbye Colin Barnett

Goodbye Colin Barnett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Faces of PHON voters on ABC24 this morning and the haggard toothless stereotypes are out in force

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
WA Election seems like a good enough reason for Raptorfag to make an appearance.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

G-Spot Run posted:

Faces of PHON voters on ABC24 this morning and the haggard toothless stereotypes are out in force

I loved when she asked that old dude about Hanson's policies and he just kept repeating that he liked her

I also love how doing a deal with the Libs is hurting both parties. The supporters of the lady that parrots Trump and Alex Jones talking points don't like being tied to establishment politicians (Hanson's been in politics what, 20 years now?) while the supporters of stronger borders and loving the poor don't want to be correctly called outright racist

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/AnnaVidot/status/838884025141899264

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Not from the Onion

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-07/female-traffic-light-signals-melbourne-pedestrian-crossing/8330560

quote:

Female traffic light signals to go up at pedestrian crossing as Committee for Melbourne tackles 'unconscious bias'
By Yvette Gray

Pedestrian traffic lights depicting female figures will be installed in Melbourne's CBD today as a part of a lobby group's push for gender equality.

Ten female pedestrian figures will be installed on traffic lights at the intersection of Swanston and Flinders streets as part of a VicRoads-approved 12-month trial.

The Committee for Melbourne — a non-profit organisation comprising more than 120 Melbourne business and community groups — is behind the move.

Chief executive Martine Letts said having only green or red silhouettes of men discriminated against women.

"The idea is to install traffic lights with female representation, as well as male representation, to help reduce unconscious bias," she said.

Ms Letts said the group wanted to see female and male representation on all pedestrian crossings.

"We know that Melbourne is the world's most liveable city and we would really like to see Melbourne also known as the world's most equal city.

"The aim is to move towards one-to-one male and female representation across the state of Victoria."

It costs an average of $8,400 to change six traffic lights.

Ms Letts said some people had questioned the move, but said the program was backed by Victorian Governor Linda Dessau.

"Some people have expressed a little scepticism wondering whether it's gesture politics rather than having any real substance," she said.

"But these symbols are a practical and meaningful way to demonstrate that in fact 50 per cent of our population is female and should therefore also be represented at traffic lights."

The program has been funded by the Committee for Melbourne and Bayswater company Camlex Electrical.

Last year the City of Yarra paid tribute to Victoria's first female councillor, Mary Rogers, by placing her silhouette in a pedestrian crossing at a major intersection in Richmond.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
More like unconscious bias of the lobby group who think women don't wear pants, and only women wear dresses. :colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Me at your posting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pauline said "line up a number of Muslims and you tell me, who's the good one?"

Now repeat this in Clint Eastwood's voice.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Or you could just find one of his own racist quotes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's more that when you apply that type of voice it literally sounds like "line them up and kill them."

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

How good's it going to be when he moves most of the dept. of Agriculture into his own electorate and they respond by voting him out next election.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
New FDotM

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Actually this is the new FDotM

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Welcome back to the standing Cartoon challenge! Still waiting for a single piece of evidence that privatisation has ever worked anywhere. Meanwhile Free Market best Market! Regulation leads to stifled innovation and productivity! Someone should blow those unions up!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-06/accc-says-consumers-gouged-through-poor-airport-privatisations/8327196

quote:

ACCC suggests airport regulation, says flyers pay up to $1.6b in extra fees due to privatisations By business reporter Michael Janda Updated yesterday at 1:45pm

PHOTO: Sydney Airport is the nation's most expensive, including a 73 per cent profit margin on parking. (AAP: Paul Miller)
RELATED STORY: Sydney Airport profits $100m on car parking in one year

Airlines and their passengers have paid up to $1.6 billion too much for airport access over the past decade due to a textbook example of how not to privatise monopoly assets, the competition regulator said. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) latest report into Australia's four biggest airports - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth - found that profit margins eased slightly for three of the operators last financial year. However, Brisbane Airport's profit margin increased to 44.9 per cent, and Sydney Airport's 46.7 per cent profit margin would be amongst the highest in corporate Australia. The airports have dramatically increased revenue per passenger over the past decade, with Brisbane charges up by two-thirds, Perth 43 per cent, Melbourne almost a third and Sydney up 16 per cent. However, Sydney's charges remain the highest with $17.27 in revenue per passenger. "The airlines are concerned that they keep getting higher charges from the airports and, of course, they've got to pass that on to consumers," ACCC chairman Rod Sims told RN Breakfast.

Airport profit margins

code:
Sydney	Brisbane	Melbourne	Perth
Flight charges	46.7% down 3.4%	44.9% up 1.3%	38.2% down 5.2%	33.5% down 6.7%
Parking fees	73.1% up 1.5%	66.1% down 1.1%	59% down 14.2%	55.6% down 8.1%
Profit margin in 2015-16 financial year and change from previous year. Source: ACCC (Formatting hosed up by Cartoon)

Beyond charges for airlines' use of the tarmac and terminal, Australia's airports are making a killing out of parking. Mr Sims described the airports' car parking profit margins as "quite amazing", and said they get away with such high charges because they also slug taxis, hire cars and shuttle buses with large, and rising, fees to access the airport for drop-offs and pick-ups. "Their access charges have gone up quite a lot, so the airports don't face much competition," he said. "It's a great position to be in where you can have this near monopoly car parking and also make it more difficult for your competitors."

ACCC calls for power to regulate airport charges

Mr Sims said the ACCC would like to be given some specific regulatory powers over airports to limit price increases, but so far it has been denied. "They're completely unregulated. Various governments over time have set them up that way. We've suggested a bit of regulation over time but governments have said they'd rather they stay unregulated," Mr Sims observed. "The airlines certainly would support us having some role here, whether it's a negotiate/arbitrate role on, whether it's some regulatory role on car parking fees. Whenever you have a monopoly that is providing services to average consumers, that have to pay directly through their car parking or indirectly through their airline ticket, I think people do get concerned when they make very high margins."

Mr Sims said such poorly handled privatisations, where governments seek to maximise the sale price by allowing monopolies to operate without regulatory oversight, are a key factor behind community opposition to public asset sales. "They privatised them and simultaneously took the regulations off," he said. "So people saw privatisation and they saw charges go up a lot, I mean the aeronautical charges doubled on Sydney airport. So, of course, don't be surprised when people see privatisation and link it to higher prices because they've seen a lot of it happen." Mr Sims said it was also undoubtedly a mistake for the Howard Government to have given Sydney Airport a first right of refusal to build and own Sydney's second airport at Badgery's Creek, "in order to inflate how much money they could sell Sydney Airport for". "It's fundamentally anti-competitive, and let's hope it doesn't get taken up and we do get an alternative owner," he argued.
Mr Sims said it would be a "great" outcome if the Federal Government built Badgery's Creek, and potentially sold it off to another private owner later. "Not only would you get the benefits of competition between Badgery's Creek and Sydney Airport, but if you have a common owner of the two airports, that common owner will have an incentive to restrict investment at Badgery's Creek and delay Badgery's Creek so that it can maximise its profits at Sydney Airport."
So close Rod but then you done hosed up at the last minute. Also the cold dead hand of JWH reaches up from the grave and fucks us all one more time. What he isn't dead? There is no silver lining here.

Homeland security department? :psyduck:

World Fukt.

In 1978 Australia had a dramatic terror related event and we did literally nothing. It fuelled a further 0.000000000 terror related events. Lets just serve up all our remaining rights as citizens of this wide brown poo poo stain. How bad can it be?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

In 1978 Australia had a dramatic terror related event and we did literally nothing.
Nonsense.

We did the terror event.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

How good's it going to be when he moves most of the dept. of Agriculture into his own electorate and they respond by voting him out next election.

They're not going to vote him out, Joyce can outspend every other person that runs there (because of Gina) so it's easy for him to staff all the small polling places nobody gives a poo poo about. He'll be the member till he retires.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

First dog sucks.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

JBP sucks.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/838927410737242112

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

G-Spot Run posted:

Or red faced 50+ old white males

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You Am I posted:

Or red faced 50+ old white males

Joyce?!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

e: revoked post about first dog being a bit of a oval office.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 7, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

e: revoked post about first dog being a bit of a oval office.

So why did you leave in the gendered slur?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

So why did you leave in the gendered slur?

I added it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

I added it.

Well, don't. If you want to use that word go to the GBS thread. You can get a free av cert if you use there often enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He's a scab, I'll call him what I want.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

:thumbsup:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Well thats disappointing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

OK then I'm sorry I won't.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But free speech everybody! Unless your a filthy vagina haver.*

*T & Cs apply. Muslims need not apply, unless you are one of the good ones. Lol right.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:psyduck: replace them with WALK and DON'T WALK and there's no gender bias, jesus.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

on the one hand i think that's dumb

on the other hand it led to this so maybe it's actually good

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Is it full communism that is coming next? Please let it be that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Starshark posted:

Well, don't. If you want to use that word go to the GBS thread. You can get a free av cert if you use there often enough.

No don't

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BBJoey posted:

on the one hand i think that's dumb

on the other hand it led to this so maybe it's actually good

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:psyduck: replace them with WALK and DON'T WALK and there's no gender bias, jesus.

Yeah for fucks sake.

Why she gotta be wearing a dress?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Victorian former deputy speaker’s refusal to repay more than $100,000 in allowances he claimed for living outside his electorate has cost him his spot in the state’s parliamentary Labor party.

Don Nardella resigned from the party after the premier, Daniel Andrews, again asked him to repay the money.

“This morning I met with Don Nardella, the member for Melton, and I indicated to him as I have done for some time now, that in my judgment he should repay the money he claimed,” Andrews told reporters.

“He indicated to me that he was unwilling to do that and I accordingly asked him to resign from the parliamentary Labor party and he has done that. It would have been far better if he’d repay the money.”

Nardella will now sit on the crossbench, and Andrews has told him to talk to the Labor secretary to decide whether he remains in the ALP outside parliament.

When asked if he wanted to comment, Nardella told reporters: “gently caress off.”

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Am I the crazy person for being totally ok with changing over the walk and don't walk to have some wearing dresses?

It is a step away from the unconscious bias that the default is male and that's a good thing.

WALK and DON'T WALK doesn't work if your English isn't good.

Also if you are angry that they put the woman in a dress just think of it is rather than being specifically inclusive of women of it being inclusive of dress wearers whether cis or trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't assign a gender to those signs

changing them is a waste of money and time that could be better spent elsewhere in that particular fight, like education?

• Locked thread