Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Actually, the movie owned. I've never read the book.

That part where his ex picks him up from the overrun base and Rico barges into the cockpit and she's all like "I thought you were dead" getrs me everytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Actually, the movie owned. I've never read the book.

That part where his ex picks him up from the overrun base and Rico barges into the cockpit and she's all like "I thought you were dead" getrs me everytime.

The movie is fantastic and Verhoven threw the book in the garbage after reading it iirc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Human Grand Prix posted:

The movie is fantastic and Verhoven threw the book in the garbage after reading it iirc.

He didn't actually finish reading it, is what I read

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
McLaren-Honda is the big loving brain bug and they're just trying to get their brain sucker in Aldo Costa's head.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I went into the movie knowing nothing other than it was a verhoven film and about five minutes in it was pretty clear he was making fun of the source material. For whatever reason a lot of people seem to struggle with understanding verhoven films, a lot like how people don't get how Ferrari is great when they never win.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

McLaren-Honda is the big loving brain bug and they're just trying to get their brain sucker in Aldo Costa's head.

McLaren is like Rico when he tells that guy to take his helmet off in training because he can't see and then the guy's head gets blown the gently caress off as a result.

that guy is Nando

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alonso is Rico after the initial invasion of Klendathu where he gets stabbed right in the loving thigh and you think he's dead but he's actually in a big bacta tank getting his poo poo sown back together.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Human Grand Prix posted:

He wrote the movie without even knowing about Starship Troopers, he just wanted to make a movie taking the piss out of fascism. It was a friend of his who read the script and then said that this is a lot like Starship Troopers, just not taking the piss instead worshipping fascism - so he bought the rights to Starship Troopers and just slapped its name on it.

The fact that many fascists hate the film and how it sullies their precious book makes the film even greater.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Live stream link for the lazy

http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2515585/formula-1-testing-2017-barcelona-second-f1-test-day-one

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wicka posted:

What I would give to go back in time and never post

Fixed

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
McLaren are already setting good times and its only an hour into testing. It looks promising that Honda may have fixed at least some of the issues.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

thread first?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh my, I can't wait to see the moaning when every circuit is #blessed with the honour of a Lewis Hamilton lap record.

If Honda are truly noncompetitive, there's nothing stopping Alonso from pitting on the penultimate lap again for the softest compound, every race, and beautifying the calendar.

Tony Montana posted:

Troopers the book = Brawn's Ferrari
Troopers the movie = Ferrari now

the branding is the same and it sure looks cool, but there is something, something BIG.. missing entirely
I get that you're trying to stand out in the worst thread but you don't need to swing at every bad opinion.
The movie is cool and good and satirised it's notions effectively.
The book is something every neckbeard imverysmart type lauds as good literature when it isn't.
A full 1/3 of the book is set in classrooms where Heinlein analogises via a teacher-student dynamic that gets tired fast.

Taking the same setting as the novel and flipping it so the same setup becomes not only onerous, but farcically so, was a genius bit of movie making.

e: Maybe we're just being trolled with the guy who claims to be Italian coming out strong for the 50's fascism book?

Khablam fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 7, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The only type of radical authoritarianism that is discussion-worthy in this thread is teary-eyed memories of Bernie and Ron ruling with their respective iron fists.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

I get that you're trying to stand out in the worst thread but you don't need to swing at every bad opinion.
The movie is cool and good and satirised it's notions effectively.
The book is something every neckbeard imverysmart type lauds as good literature when it isn't.
A full 1/3 of the book is set in classrooms where Heinlein analogises via a teacher-student dynamic that gets tired fast.

Taking the same setting as the novel and flipping it so the same setup becomes not only onerous, but farcically so, was a genius bit of movie making.

e: Maybe we're just being trolled with the guy who claims to be Italian coming out strong for the 50's fascism book?

Hehe, I don't really give a gently caress what you think you get. Blah blah take it Book Barn I can't hear you over the turbos..

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Autosport livestream guy has lost the will to live and gone full sarcasm.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a 2 episode documentary on the 80's era turbo, largely around the development of the Ford Cosworth turbo engine during the mid eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFy0ezTOLZs

A rather amusing thing to see how up front and negative the commentary is about the thing and the woes of the whole development process. Plus seeing such excitement about new ideas like talking to the American contingent over the computer and their 'super secure' means of keeping any naughty naughty hackers out. :allears:

Cameos from people like Alan Jones (before he got super fat) and Ross Brawn before he looked like Papa pig. A good watch all around.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ukle posted:

McLaren are already setting good times and its only an hour into testing. It looks promising that Honda may have fixed at least some of the issues.

12:02 BEN ANDERSON: Engine change for McLaren-Honda. Problem discovered during this morning's running.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

12:02 BEN ANDERSON: Engine change for McLaren-Honda. Problem discovered during this morning's running.

They're attempting to set a record for amount of lunched engines over pre-season testing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well at least they have stopped exploding this year so they have that going for them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you guys think McLaren will fold midway through the season or will they wait till the end?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

learnincurve posted:

Autosport livestream guy has lost the will to live and gone full sarcasm.

as has the BBC guy...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Electrical issue this time, lol.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

as has the BBC guy...

p accurate

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

They're attempting to set a record for amount of lunched engines over pre-season testing.

I think the Porsche V12 might still hold the record for most engines used over a season but it will be broken this year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

McLaren Honda: Just lol.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How does the actual engine manufacturing work in this part of the season? Do they just crank a few dozen of the fuckers out in case they need them or do they just make a bunch of parts to be assembled pretty much as needed?

I really don't know how time intensive building an F1 engine from scratch is after it has been designed.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think the Porsche V12 might still hold the record for most engines used over a season but it will be broken this year.

What a hunk of poo poo that thing was. Amazing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

They are on engine six, right?

Also Ferrari is good this year or what the gently caress.

Poor Fernando, he is broken.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

Do you guys think McLaren will fold midway through the season or will they wait till the end?
What makes you think it's not happening right now?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I wish some of the GP2 teams or drivers would take this opportunity to say something sarcastic about how they're happy with the performance but their engine is less reliable than an F1 car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Motorsport.com just called Ericsson a "fan favorite"

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

"This is fine." - Fernando Alonso, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Motorsport.com just called Ericsson a "fan favorite"

Im reading autosport.com. Their ironic post are awful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No mention of F1's God-King Felipe Massa setting the fastest time in afternoon testing? Fie, fie!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Failpeepee Assassa

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Retired driver Felipe Massa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016