Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

He's a cop.

He's an orc.

ORC COP!

So blessed to have max landis delivering subtle and nuanced commentary on race, featuring fantasy mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I heard that David Ayer did a big rewrite of the script. Hopefully that isn't just wishful thinking because as averse as I am to a Max Landis Orc Cop movie I'm definitely there for a David Ayer Orc Cop movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The orcs just look like bald dudes with facial burn scars.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He looks like he was called into work while in the middle of putting on his cosplay makeup.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

He's a cop.

He's an orc.

ORC COP!

From looking over the wiki article, it seems like the villains of the movie are an elf gang.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
loving Hollywood always making villains gay

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Those are some well-composed promotional pictures.

See, you can tell they're not actual screenshots because the aspect ratio is completely different from the trailers.

Ask me about appreciating our comrades in promotional photography or whatever, whatever, I'm partyin'...

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, Orcs are often Elves that have fallen in the mud.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

If there ever were a time to bring back orcs with snouts

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In the first D&D books, the bad art just make orcs look like people who lack healthcare and dental services. Maybe Bright just takes place in a Trumppunk world.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/838911227254300672

Kong is just 31 meters tall? :pwn:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They use the same tricks RDJ and Tom Cruise used to appear taller on film.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The MSJ posted:

They use the same tricks RDJ and Tom Cruise used to appear taller on film.

I wonder what that apple crate's IMDB looks like. I wonder who its agent is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder what that apple crate's IMDB looks like. I wonder who its agent is.
How about the trench that Emilio Estevez's costars have to walk in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kong Skull Island is so loving good everyone. It's super violent, super fun, and honestly, really does not follow any of the same beats from any of the other Kong flicks. It stands on it's own.

It's really loving neat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Kong Skull Island is so loving good everyone. It's super violent, super fun, and honestly, really does not follow any of the same beats from any of the other Kong flicks. It stands on it's own.

It's really loving neat.
Dope, I need a super violent and super fun movie after Logan was such a disappointment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's super violent in that classic Spielberg/Pg-13 way. It's not the splatter fest that Logan was.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

It fits perfectly to a movie that seemingly doesn't understand what made the original material interesting and lasting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The remix sounds like that dude looks holy poo poo.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Decius posted:

It fits perfectly to a movie that seemingly doesn't understand what made the original material interesting and lasting.

Also half-assed, phoned-in, the result of "made by committee" thinking and afraid to go in any direction.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Also half-assed, phoned-in, the result of "made by committee" thinking and afraid to go in any direction.

Hey, going in directions is scary. There's...stuff over there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Decius posted:

You can just picture a group of frowning studio execs sitting around a large screen TV in a board room with a bunch of scruffy writers standing behind them with note pads, all watching the original GiTS.
"Okay nerds, we want you to write that exact thing we just saw," says the chief exec. "But cut out all that lovely sciencey gobbledygook and all the ponderous talky crap .... oh and make it wayyy less Asian-y, okay? Maybe keep some geishas and poo poo but cut way down on the rest. Keep all the guns and explosions yadda yadda yadda you know the drill." "But what about the philosophical questions it poses about selfhood in the modern era?" "Cut that dumb poo poo out and make it Robocop. 'Oh no I'm a robot now, they stole my memories, wah wah.' Done. Next. Whatever. Get out of here."

Same with the iconic music: "Make it exactly the same, just less ponderous and Asian-y." "Uh, we could maybe sample it and run it through a dubstep generator?" "Whatever, just do it."

It'd actually be pretty disappointing to discover that everyone at every level behind the project were really passionate behind adapting the original movie/manga and this was their very best effort rather than just a quick attempt at pumping out yet another effects-heavy action flick which was generic enough to be palatable to the general masses.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Words are very unnecessary. They can only do harm.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Shoulda made a slow version of It's No Good the song for the trailer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Words are very unnecessary. They can only do harm.

I have found words to be like violence.

They break the silence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=IIW1CsLuuNM&video_start=0&audio=WfevfOKGrSo&audio_start=0

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Killer Croc is just a guy with an unfortunate skin condition.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The MSJ posted:

ORC COP!

So they're remaking Alien Nation?

I guess Will Smith is an acceptable substitute for James Caan

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ever since District 9 came out I've been meaning to revisit Alien Nation to see if it holds up.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Phanatic posted:

So they're remaking Alien Nation?

It's actually a conceptual reboot of Theodore Rex, the Whoopi Goldberg cop comedy where her partner is a Tyrannosaurus Rex, and she must learn to overcome her anti-dinosaur racism. :colbert:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Grendels Dad posted:

Or a slow version of this low hanging fruit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdlqquJDK4

I saw that video so many times in a single year back when The Box was around.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 7, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Does this mean Jaden will star in a new version of Bones or something?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ruddiger posted:

I have found words to be like violence.

They break the silence.

Like, what will we do if GitS'17 doesn't have such ponderous dialog like "Humanity inevitably pursues technology to its inevitable limit - I really admire it!" or "Man, isn't it sad that guy got all his memories erased"?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ever since District 9 came out I've been meaning to revisit Alien Nation to see if it holds up.

The weirdness is great in that movie, and James Caan plays an awesome space bigot.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ruddiger posted:

The weirdness is great in that movie, and James Caan plays an awesome space bigot.

What I hate about Alien Nation is that suddenly Rockne O'Bannon ended up getting incredibly rich from TV rather than doing more movies.

Wish it flopped.

Edit - goddamnit, Google just told me that Dan O'Bannon died 8 years ago. poo poo that sucks, dude was my hero once when I wanted to write for a living.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 7, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ruddiger posted:

Plus it has Mandy Patinkin who's great in everything even if he's an rear end in a top hat to work with.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Remulak posted:

Edit - goddamnit, Google just told me that Dan O'Bannon died 8 years ago. poo poo that sucks, dude was my hero once when I wanted to write for a living.

If you haven't read it, The Dan O'Bannon Guide to Screenwriting is one of the best writing books I've ever read.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Plus it has Mandy Patinkin who's great in everything even if he's an rear end in a top hat to work with.
Is Patinkin that bad to work with anymore? I know he pissed off a lot of people when he walked off Criminal Minds but that was 10 years ago now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Patinkin that bad to work with anymore? I know he pissed off a lot of people when he walked off Criminal Minds but that was 10 years ago now.

He acknowledges he was a huge dick back then so maybe not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/magazine/mandy-patinkin-i-behaved-abominably.html

This for me is peak Patinkin, even better than "You killed my father..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-tsrkj07g8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you haven't read it, The Dan O'Bannon Guide to Screenwriting is one of the best writing books I've ever read.

Thanks for this rec. I've been trying to get back into writing and this is the perfect book to help motivate me.

• Locked thread