Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

ianvincible posted:

This is maybe only tangentially related to kickstarters, but I finally got my copy of Gloomhaven last week and I'm a little overwhelmed in terms of figuring out how to store everything. It's my first game of this order of magnitude; what do people tend to use to store all the little pieces? Right now I've got a lot of things in ziplock bags, but I'm not sure that's quite ideal. I'd also like to sleeve up the most commonly used decks, which I've never done for a boardgame before. Are there particular brands of sleeves for the mini-cards that people would recommend?

Fantasy flight games makes sleeves for their mini cards, not sure if they're the right size for that game though. I just get little polypropylene storage bags on eBay or use ziploc bags for small pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Plano cases are a common solution for game component storage, and you can find some discussion on Reddit about Gloomhaven storage that shows how people are doing so with various cases. Also supposedly Meeple Reality is coming out with a custom insert Soon(tm) if you feel like splurging.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ianvincible posted:

This is maybe only tangentially related to kickstarters, but I finally got my copy of Gloomhaven last week and I'm a little overwhelmed in terms of figuring out how to store everything. It's my first game of this order of magnitude; what do people tend to use to store all the little pieces? Right now I've got a lot of things in ziplock bags, but I'm not sure that's quite ideal. I'd also like to sleeve up the most commonly used decks, which I've never done for a boardgame before. Are there particular brands of sleeves for the mini-cards that people would recommend?

Plano boxes or fishing tackle boxes are the go too for storing the tokens.

For sleeves there are a zillion companies that make mini euro sleeves. I am using the FFG ones as they were cheapest in Australia. The one note of caution would be that Mayday has two grades of sleeves for mini euro. The cheap ones are... cheap in every way.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Coming up to the last 24 hours on Dragon Empire. Some interesting sculpts they're doing and really like that dragon centerpiece

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Boosting the signal for a board game campaign I'm backing, because it's moving slow in it's early days (first timers on KS though, so not super surprising) and I think I'd like to see it fund. :)

Get Off My Land!

For being a group of first time designers/publishers, it looks like a pretty well put together project. The theme is farming, but in a much more direct conflict "Hatfield vs McCoy" kind of way. The art is great. Component mock ups look great, it's colorful, and the game play sounds solid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Coming up to the last 24 hours on Dragon Empire. Some interesting sculpts they're doing and really like that dragon centerpiece

Yeah, I backed this. Kings of War army, here I come!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ianvincible posted:

For the standees I took an exacto knife and carved out holes for each pile of them in those black foam pieces that came in the box.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The End Times move one step closer, as GMS has actually sent backers the setting chapter of Far West.

Or, at least, the manuscript of the chapter. As an 81-page RTF file.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The End Times move one step closer, as GMS has actually sent backers the setting chapter of Far West.

Oh my God! Holy hell! An RTF file? Really? Really? How many years and that's all he got?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, if I remember correctly the setting chapter was written by someone else ages ago. He's releasing it now so it can be "compared to the final version", so I think the implication is that the final version will be different?

btw, it's 13 pages of this thing describing the history of the world before getting to present day. That's never a good sign.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Moon Monster posted:

For the standees I took an exacto knife and carved out holes for each pile of them in those black foam pieces that came in the box.
Yep, saw the suggestion on BGG and did the same:

It's cool, they stack on top of each other really nicely on top of the mini boxes and then I put each monster's stat cards alphabetically with their decks standing vertically like file dividers in that monster square in the top left corner. Much better than throwing all the monster standees in a big ziploc and taking forever to find anything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

people... still use Rich Text Format???????? :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

people... still use Rich Text Format???????? :psyduck:

Well, they were still using it five years ago...

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, they were still using it five years ago...

:vince:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's actually still used some in publishing. Not a lot, but it's not unheard of.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Pages ago someone linked a Kickstarter board game where the players are pilots trying to make their fortune flying from island to island to trade goods. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Mastermind posted:

btw, it's 13 pages of this thing describing the history of the world before getting to present day. That's never a good sign.

Death to this. Ever since Apocalypse World did "bad poo poo went down, we don't know what" for a post-apoc setting, I can't get into settings that feel obliged to give us dozens of pages of five thousand years' worth of wizard empires falling or whatever.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Antivehicular posted:

Death to this. Ever since Apocalypse World did "bad poo poo went down, we don't know what" for a post-apoc setting, I can't get into settings that feel obliged to give us dozens of pages of five thousand years' worth of wizard empires falling or whatever.

I think you'll find that bathroom reading badly written settings and imagining cool characters in them is a larger part of many players' engagement with the hobby than actually playing RPGs with other people.

But seriously, too much setting in a rulebook is the worst. I wasn't able to finish reading the rules to Houses of the Blooded because John Wick gated it behind so much crappy setting poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The people who read the settings for RPG rulebooks must be the same people who read ALL of the textbook. Also explains why so many grognards also liked the D&D 3.5 templating of including in-setting justifications for spells mixed with the actual spell rules. Nobody has time for that poo poo when you're actually playing the game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

Pages ago someone linked a Kickstarter board game where the players are pilots trying to make their fortune flying from island to island to trade goods. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Was it this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mosigra/jackal-archipelago-islands-pirates-gold-and-more

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Chill la Chill posted:

The people who read the settings for RPG rulebooks must be the same people who read ALL of the textbook. Also explains why so many grognards also liked the D&D 3.5 templating of including in-setting justifications for spells mixed with the actual spell rules. Nobody has time for that poo poo when you're actually playing the game.

A good RPG leaves it's story for non-essential things like supplements instead of padding the core rulebook with it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

No :( It was sort of TailSpin-ey.

I'm beginning to think I may have dreamed it. I'll have to go back in the thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

No :( It was sort of TailSpin-ey.

I'm beginning to think I may have dreamed it. I'll have to go back in the thread.

Please do, I'm very interested!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jimbozig posted:

But seriously, too much setting in a rulebook is the worst. I wasn't able to finish reading the rules to Houses of the Blooded because John Wick gated it behind so much crappy setting poo poo.

Timelines must be stopped.

Have you ever said, "Oh boy, a timeline! I'm excited to read this!" If so, I would like to forward the assertion that you may not exist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Have you ever said, "Oh boy, a timeline! I'm excited to read this!" If so, I would like to forward the assertion that you may not exist.

"Thousands of years of pointless backstory that my character can in no way interact with and usually doesn't matter at all besides being slight dungeon dressing!! oh boy oh boy oh boy"

I swear to God, if I ever make the bad decision to write a D&D setting, my principal guideline is that there must be no ancient fallen wizard empires that had floating cities and power crystals. Either there was never a wizard empire, or the ancient wizard empire is still extant, maybe a little declined after a decade of material-components shortages, but absolutely no floating cities collapsing into the hillside and immediately being colonized by every CR1 creature within a hundred miles.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"You come across an enchanted piss forest. Ancient, pissy trees as far as the eye can pee!"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

"Thousands of years of pointless backstory that my character can in no way interact with and usually doesn't matter at all besides being slight dungeon dressing!! oh boy oh boy oh boy"

Detailed settings can be fine, but that bolded bit is the big issue. There's no point in providing a massive backstory if it isn't directly relevant to the characters/system.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Man, now I kind of want to do an extruded fantasy product setting that uses Loresheets ala WOTG/Legends of the Wulin. Let people buy in to the stuff that's relevant and otherwise it doesn't come up.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A timeline would only be cool in a Chrono Trigger-like game where I would be interacting with said timeline.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Man, now I kind of want to do an extruded fantasy product setting that uses Loresheets ala WOTG/Legends of the Wulin. Let people buy in to the stuff that's relevant and otherwise it doesn't come up.

That's kind of how I already run 13th Age so far. Nobody's playing a dwarf or has the Dwarf King as a connection? No need for bearded shorties. Nobody's got a connection to the Three? Well, maybe the Three just isn't a thing.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

A timeline would only be cool in a Chrono Trigger-like game where I would be interacting with said timeline.

Timelines can be alright under two circumstances: 1) that they're focused on a single subject and 2) they're brief. "The history of _____" can make for decent sidebar information dumps, if rarely compelling ones. But then there's something like Tenra Bansho Zero's timeline that's mostly non sequiturs delivered in 8-point font that just makes you go "I dare you to make less sense!"

Really I just hate when a fantasy world starts with the HISTORY OF EVERYTHING STARTING WITH THE BEGINNING THERE WERE THREE GODS NAMED NONSENSE SYLLABLES AND THEY WERE VERY EPIC AND COOL NOT LIKE THE LAME SHITS YOU'LL BE PLAYING- no, no, no, show me what's compelling about your elves are different setting now, then drop your necessary self-insert mythology later.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really I just hate when a fantasy world starts with the HISTORY OF EVERYTHING STARTING WITH THE BEGINNING THERE WERE THREE GODS NAMED NONSENSE SYLLABLES AND THEY WERE VERY EPIC AND COOL NOT LIKE THE LAME SHITS YOU'LL BE PLAYING- no, no, no, show me what's compelling about your elves are different setting now, then drop your necessary self-insert mythology later.

See Eberron. Starts with two pages of tone and overview, then it's straight to classes and races, with bits of myth and history sprinkled in. By the time the timeline shows up you are deeply curious and quite invested.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Extensive potted histories were one of my signature traits of 1990s design, and they depress the hell out of me when they appear. I don't mind games with detailed histories (I'm a Glorantha fan for godsake) I just don't want them to be pages 1-40 of the rulebook when I first pick up the game. Just give me the 30,000 foot setting overview (collapsing decadent star empire, plucky merchant alliance in the fringe, bug aliens invading from deep space, mysterious monoliths everywhere - ok, got it) and I'll read the history textbook portion later if I feel I have to.

Even worse are games that give you a giant pile of endless backstory, and almost nothing about the current state of the world-setting. So who are the good guys? The bad guys? How does this all fit together? What's the central conflict? "Well, in -3926 BIE the eleventh Council of Florgblorp met and..." gently caress WHO CARES. The boxed set for Shadow World (the RoleMaster FRPG setting) was really bad for this, IIRC

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oh that's nothing.

Far West has two pages describing the seasons. Yes, it's in a 1" margin Arial 12 RTF doc, but it's two pages. I don't know what that'd translate to in a normal-sized book.

They're just winter/spring/summer/fall. Not even renamed.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

lifg posted:

See Eberron. Starts with two pages of tone and overview, then it's straight to classes and races, with bits of myth and history sprinkled in. By the time the timeline shows up you are deeply curious and quite invested.

And when they give you timeline stuff, by and large it's there because the consequences of those events are something you can interact with. gently caress I love Eberron.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

lifg posted:

Even Eberron, despite otherwise being a great setting, has too drat much of this, probably because it was a D&D contest entry and thus had to work in a lot of extraneous D&Details. The implementation is generally solid, but it's still a loss of focus.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh that's nothing.

Far West has two pages describing the seasons. Yes, it's in a 1" margin Arial 12 RTF doc, but it's two pages. I don't know what that'd translate to in a normal-sized book.

They're just winter/spring/summer/fall. Not even renamed.

Without being a backer or reading the material at all, I'm still all but certain this was done so he could force some mention or discussion of cherry blossoms into his book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The 160 page FR one is really good! But it's a terrible introductory book for anyone.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Detailed settings are great when every detail is a potential plot hook or usable in a game. Not so great when the details will never come up in a game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hmm, maybe I should start a Promise-Everything-Give-Nothing Kickstarter! I have the requirements trifecta-

1. crappy PC that freezes a lot
2. get sick a lot because of depression
3. depression

I just gotta decide if I'll quietly disappear into the backalleys of the internet, or meltdown spectacularly first.

You know, it wouldn't even be so bad if people would just own up to it.

"Hey. I have depression problems. I will do everything in my power to stay on target, but expect that deadlines may slip."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not gonna lie. At least in the F&F thread, I've been really enjoying the timeline posted for Godlike.