Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

JackMann posted:

Not gonna lie. At least in the F&F thread, I've been really enjoying the timeline posted for Godlike.

Thereīs a difference. The timeline in Godlike is interesting because its about real-world-history and the slight alt-history changes we can see or notice.
In fantastic worlds, itīs usually "cliche, trope, cliche, trope, uninteresting sidenote" instead, as thereīs nothing connecting us to the history of the places we read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Also, as I understand it, you're intended to slot your Godlike adventures into whatever part of the war you want, so the Timeline also serves a purpose.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mr.Misfit posted:

Thereīs a difference. The timeline in Godlike is interesting because its about real-world-history and the slight alt-history changes we can see or notice.
In fantastic worlds, itīs usually "cliche, trope, cliche, trope, uninteresting sidenote" instead, as thereīs nothing connecting us to the history of the places we read about.

Yeah, I enjoy the one for Shadowrun for the same reasons, it exists to detail where their world broke off from our timeline and how it continued from there.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Timelines must be stopped.

Have you ever said, "Oh boy, a timeline! I'm excited to read this!" If so, I would like to forward the assertion that you may not exist.

I picked up the Iron Kingdoms RPG. The setting chapter started with a bunch of ancient pre-history. I sold the loving thing on. If I can't use it in play, it should die in a fire.

That may have been a driving goal behind W20 Shattered Dreams.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

DigitalRaven posted:

I picked up the Iron Kingdoms RPG. The setting chapter started with a bunch of ancient pre-history. I sold the loving thing on. If I can't use it in play, it should die in a fire.

That may have been a driving goal behind W20 Shattered Dreams.

See, I kind of appreciated Iron Kingdoms because while, yeah, it had a bunch of pre-history and a timeline up front:

It explicitly didn't do "Everything's been the same technology wise for the last several thousand years because of magic"

It also didn't do the thing where you need to divide the scale of years everything happens on by 10-100.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

No :( It was sort of TailSpin-ey.

I'm beginning to think I may have dreamed it. I'll have to go back in the thread.

I've had a bit of a look, and surprisingly, the only air cargo island hopping game I can find is called Air Charter, and it's from ~1970. You'd have thought that was a theme rife for exploitation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like the timeline in TBZ because it's such crazy nonsense, although reading between the lines you see that the magic plus Warring States plus robots setting is actually a lost space colony plus Warring States setting... which makes it even crazier. Like the game is never clear if the Shinto stuff is actually dealing with local gods or if it's all rogue computer programs and orbiting satellites because the way the timeline is laid out it could be either or even both.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

The Mutant Year Zero robot expansion book has come up in the thread a couple of times before--it looks like most of their stretch goals are new "Zone Sectors." Anyone familiar with the base game and its released Zone Sectors? Are they any good? Just trying to judge how the ones for this Kickstarter might turn out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I'm a bit late on the topic, but I think a big factor on setting timelines is where they are in the book. If they're at the forefront, that's a big mistake because don't have a frame of reference and not invested in the setting in general yet and now you're jamming a bunch of dates in my face.

But like lifg said, in the case of Eberron they spend time beforehand going "okay, here's the broad strokes of the setting, here's some quick bullet points on the tone and the types of adventures you'll be going on, here's the crunch, now that you have all that foundation straightened out we can get into the details if you care."

e: Eberron does have that 500 page "Grand History" document, but it's fan-compiled, not an official thing.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 7, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

I've had a bit of a look, and surprisingly, the only air cargo island hopping game I can find is called Air Charter, and it's from ~1970. You'd have thought that was a theme rife for exploitation.

Academy Games had something air related at Spiel, but damned if I can remember the name of it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

Even Eberron, despite otherwise being a great setting, has too drat much of this, probably because it was a D&D contest entry and thus had to work in a lot of extraneous D&Details. The implementation is generally solid, but it's still a loss of focus.

Funny enough, that was an actual requirement of the contest Eberron came out of. It had to be a world that could accommodate every facet of 3e D&D.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Malthusian posted:

The Mutant Year Zero robot expansion book has come up in the thread a couple of times before--it looks like most of their stretch goals are new "Zone Sectors." Anyone familiar with the base game and its released Zone Sectors? Are they any good? Just trying to judge how the ones for this Kickstarter might turn out.

Mutant Year Zero core and expansions discussions here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3777631&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post469635025

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803702&userid=150880&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post469637283

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Rising Sun, CMON/Eric Lang's latest, just started its Kickstarter and will be funded within a few hours at most.

It's the sort-of spiritual successor to Blood Rage, which seems to be less well-regarded around here than in most places (like BGG). Lang has said that whereas Blood Rage distantly traces its inspiration back to Risk, Rising Sun does the same with Diplomacy. Which probably means I won't be backing it, since my group doesn't tend to go for the temporary alliances and eventual backstabbing that's pretty common in that sort of game.

It's a CMON production so it has all of the high-quality miniatures you'd expect. It's set in feudal Japan and like Blood Rage, it has mythological elements, so you've got a bunch of fantastical creatures running around too.

It looks like, unlike in Blood Rage, the different clans will have unique powers, which is a nice touch.

Also I'm pretty sure it's currently at least partially responsible for overloading KS's site, which appears to be having problems right now.

quote:

Rising Sun is a board game for 3 to 5 players set in legendary feudal Japan. As the Kami descend from the heavens to reshape the land in their image, it is up to each player to lead their clan to victory. Use politics to further your cause, negotiate to seek the most profitable alliances, worship the Kami to gain their favor, recruit monsters out of legend to bolster your forces, and use your resources wisely to be victorious in battle.

Created by acclaimed designer Eric M. Lang, Rising Sun reunites the same creative forces responsible for the smash hit Blood Rage, with stunning artwork by Adrian Smith and intricate miniatures sculpted under the direction of Mike McVey.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With the plethora of FRPG out on the market at the moment, what would it take for you to trust a kickstarter of a new one? This isn't so much a discussion of a real KS, but a hypothetical one. Don't know if thread appropriate.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Rising Sun is already funded, heh. Took about 21 minutes to reach their $300k level. Gonna blow Blood Rage, which got $900k, out of the water.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Covok posted:

With the plethora of FRPG out on the market at the moment, what would it take for you to trust a kickstarter of a new one? This isn't so much a discussion of a real KS, but a hypothetical one. Don't know if thread appropriate.

For me, who doesn't do a lot of kickstarters, a new edition of a known game, or a cheap PDF option. Ideally both.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Christ, the price of Rising Sun.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The_Doctor posted:

I believe what I was thinking of was Island Hopper. The good news is that the theme is pretty great. The bad news is that it's "an excellent combination of light strategy & dexterity that everyone will enjoy!"

Oh well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gently caress kickstarter exclusives and gently caress rising sun

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

A complete rules document available from day one if it's not an existing system and I don't mean "after we're funded" or "soon after the KS finishes" I mean as soon as you make the post the first update should be the plain text rules. Rules aren't worth anything, I can make a dozen RPGs in a day if you just wanted rules, so having them out to look at and check for errors goes a long way with me.

After that, wow me with novel ideas, interesting settings, and good art. Finally, be affordable, no $50 for a 200 page softcover nonsense, charge the (admittedly criminally low) industry standards or as close as you can manage. If your printer gives you a bad estimate and you can't afford to charge a reasonable price for paper, that's fine as long as your PDF is at least half off the print copy price.

Oh, also make the PDF the lowest tier, no "you don't get the game" tiers with postcards or dice or T-shirts or just "thanks", if people want to support you without getting anything they'll just throw money at you without a reward, production of unnecessary feelies eats into your budget for more important things.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

gently caress kickstarter exclusives and gently caress rising sun

This is also part of the reason I'm not backing it. If you want to provide upgraded components like metal coins and whatnot, sure, but components that create a different gameplay experience are stupid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why the hell do companies keep doing that? I can't imagine that it brings in more customers than it turns away in the long run.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

I can't imagine that it brings in more customers than it turns away in the long run.

I will guarantee you that you are incorrect in this statement. "Limited editions" and exclusives of anything sell like crazy. Look at any CMON game, ever.

There is nothing wrong with offering a upgraded/different experience to something like a boardgame - it's a walled garden in that everyone who plays that version has the same experience. If three of my friends play my copy of the game, we all have access to special characters/weapons/whatever. It becomes a problem when you have something like a miniatures wargame where I might have a super-powerful model that you have no way of countering because you didn't get in on the KS.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
They only had 1 KS exclusive until they uploaded the stretch goals, which immediately bumped them up to 5. They're gonna need more stretch goals, too, so expect it to get kinda crazy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

berzerkmonkey posted:

It becomes a problem when you have something like a miniatures wargame where I might have a super-powerful model that you have no way of countering because you didn't get in on the KS.
WizKids should do that with a whole new game and jumpstart their usual awful business model from the ground up. They can even have a super expensive tier that allows you to join a special tournament that, upon winning, allows you to have even more exclusive cards.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

There is nothing wrong with offering a upgraded/different experience to something like a boardgame - it's a walled garden in that everyone who plays that version has the same experience.

There is a lot wrong with hoping a game will sell at retail in a version that is significantly "less" than what you sold during the Kickstarter. For one thing, any potential customer who discovered your game by playing a KS copy at [friend's house/convention/game night at the store/whatever] then gets not delight but disappointment with what they can buy at retail.

Secondarily, it encourages people to buy up your KS game copies at the discounted KS price and then flip them on eBay. This further undermines your ability to sell the full retail version at a higher retail price.

Kickstarter-exclusives can be OK, when they're not just non-impactful to the gameplay but also not significant changes in the game's value. When you add too much value with your KS-exclusive content, you are effectively devaluing your end product, and that's not a good long-term plan.

A much better approach is to offer early access to non-exclusive content/upgrades, or simply rely on the value of the KSer discount to encourage people to buy in. I think most people are OK with paying a little more (like maybe up to 20%?) for an on-the-shelf retail product vs. what the early-adopter risk-taking KSer crowd paid. But if I walk into a store and the game I'm being charged $50 for is available for $45 on eBay in a much better edition with more/nicer components, extra content, etc.? gently caress that retail package, I'm not buying it. I might not even buy it if the eBay ones are available at a higher price. You're handing the profit margin for your nicer edition to your KS customers instead of owning it yourself.

e. Game store owners are also aware of this poo poo. They do not enjoy the experience of their own customers showing up to Wednesday Night Board Gaming Night with KS-exclusive copies of games they're trying to sell. They didn't get to sell that copy, and that copy's clear superiority is undercutting their ability to sell their own stock of the game.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

WizKids should do that with a whole new game and jumpstart their usual awful business model from the ground up. They can even have a super expensive tier that allows you to join a special tournament that, upon winning, allows you to have even more exclusive cards.

This is literally the business model of Marvel Puzzle Quest (free to play of course).

http://marvel.com/games/161/marvel_puzzle_quest

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My FLGS just posted this to their Facebook page.

quote:

Attn CMON fans - you can now back CMON Kickstarter games through RRG and still be assured to get ALL the Kickstarter rewards! If you are interested in the new Rising Sun Kickstarter, contact us at RRG and we'll get it pre-ordered for you. Instead of floating $100 for 6 months (or more) on Kickstarter, we'll let you pre-order it for $10 and pay the rest when you pick up your copy!

I think a lot of you know my opinion on Kickstarter - it is good for new developers, but now established game companies are abusing it.

CoolMiniOrNot has historically been one of the worst offenders, and I have purposely skipped bringing many of their games to RRG because of their business policies. However, with this new program, CMON is extending an olive branch to FLGS stores. I am willing to try to work with this on this new retailer program and we'll see how it goes.

So call today and we'll get your copy of Rising Sun reserved for you!

Limited to the first 12 orders.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Rising Sun's up to $1mil backing and 6 gameplay changing KS exclusives (and 1 component enhancement) from its stretch goals. :regd08:

More about the above FLGS olive branch:

http://www.cmon.com/news/rising-sun-kickstarter-retail-pledge

quote:

Beginning from the launch of the Rising Sun campaign on Tuesday, March 7 at 3:00pm EST, and until the pledge manager closes, you, our valued retailer, will be able to be part of the Kickstarter Campaign, receiving the game along with all unlocked stretch goals in increments of 6, 9 or 12 copies.
  • Only retailers with a brick and mortar store in the USA and Canada are eligible for the retailer pledge.
  • The retail discount will be 40% off the Daimyo pledge.
  • Retailer pledges will contain all the Stretch Goals unlocked during the campaign, and will be delivered at the same time as normal backers.
  • A commitment deposit of $100.00 is required for the bundle packs (6, 9 or 12). The balance will be due right before shipment.
  • Every retailer backer will be limited to a maximum of 12 pledges.
  • Retailers agree to not breakdown the Daimyo pledge bundle and resell promotional items separately.
  • Retailers agree to sell the Daimyo pledge bundle at no more and no less than US$100.
  • A signed agreement between CMON and the respective retailer that sets out the above restrictions will be required prior to shipment.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 7, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's kind of how I already run 13th Age so far. Nobody's playing a dwarf or has the Dwarf King as a connection? No need for bearded shorties. Nobody's got a connection to the Three? Well, maybe the Three just isn't a thing.

Yeah, I mostly just mean take it a step further and have all the little history segments offer mechanical and/or plot engagement, Like, okay, so you buy the lore about ancient wizarding empires with castles in the sky. This unlocks options like "SECRETS OF THE CLOUDCHITECTS" where you learn how to manufacture lighter-than-air fortifications, and meanwhile Bob's invested in the Elf-Dwarf conflict and has "STAR-CROSSED DESTINY" and is due to fall in love with an elf whose family doesn't approve.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

My FLGS just posted this to their Facebook page.

This is great. gently caress CMON.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know if Blood Rage (or any CMON game like that I guess) sold well in stores? I mean like, relative to other games I guess, but it had a fair amount of hype behind it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm super tempted. Looks like a great way to dodge shipping costs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Does anyone know if Blood Rage (or any CMON game like that I guess) sold well in stores? I mean like, relative to other games I guess, but it had a fair amount of hype behind it.

It sold reasonably well, but people were seriously pissed about missing the exclusive content which a lot of backers flipped for more than they pledged. Same goes for Dogs of War, which had four exclusive captains. I paid $73 for an EB pledge. I could flip it now for $200.

The worst offender, though, was Xenoshyft: Onslaught. That one included an important play mechanic as a KS exclusive.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

gently caress CMON because they tried to include FLGS in on the action?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Covok posted:

Assuming by "F" you mean "fantasy", it would have to be a drastically different take on fantasy than anything currently on the market (perhaps using different mythological inspiration, for starters), not even whiff of being based on any edition of D&D or similarly crunchy RPGs currently on the market, and have a <$20 PDF option that includes all books produced for the project.

Or probably, be PBTA, because I have a weakness for those.

Mind you, I'm not this picky about most kinds of RPG, but I am so tired of fantasy RPGs right now, especially in the D&D mold.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

PbtA Tekumel with a companion setting book, in the style 13th Age Glorantha has a separate Glorantha setting volume. To get less specific, anything that, like Tekumel, is completely free of any taint of medieval Europe, without a pointy ear or firebreathing reptile to be seen, along the lines of these existing properties:

- Ehdrigohr
- REIGN
- Breakfast Cult (it's got magic, it counts as fantasy)
- Inverse World

That's what it would take to catch my eye. To catch my pledge, it'd need to be put together by someone who shows evidence of having a clue. A previous successfully delivered project would help a *lot*, but I'd take a risk for the right project, especially if vouched for by someone whose opinion I trust.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Malthusian posted:

So a big part of Mutant Year: Zero is essentially a hex crawl, though they are squares. There are a bunch of tables to help you randomly generate these sectors and fill them with treasure, npcs, or monsters. Zone Sectors are just premade hexes that have something interesting in them, like an old ship that has a clan of mutants who run a bazaar open to everyone in the Zone. They're build to be able to just slot them in to an existing campaign and they work pretty well for that. Every Zone Sector doesn't work great with every campaign, the tone could be off or maybe you already had an idea for a faction that ran a bazaar but at the very least you can steal ideas and NPCs from them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

The rules, or at least a playtest version of them, should already be written and largely complete. Blades in the Dark went through a bunch of iterations, but you could download a Quickstart packet on day 1 and run some games.

Ideally there should also be actual plays. AFAIK Red Markets didn't have its playtest rules released (except to alpha playtesters) until maybe a month after the KS, but even before the campaign there was already a full AP campaign available from RPPR, and then you could download a full second one as a backer.

The creator should be heavily invested in running the campaign. Plug it everywhere, do a bunch of interviews on as many podcasts and gaming sites as you can, etc etc. This is also why it helps to have much of the book already written: you're not going to get any work on the book done during the 30 days of the campaign.

Ideally you should have been trying to cultivate a community even before you launch the KS, so that you already have a set of fans with buy-in to your product and will help spread around word-of-mouth. Again, both Red Markets and Blades in the Dark did this, as the author of the former had been talking about his game to the RPPR community for a long time, and then the author of the latter had a number of smaller games already under his belt that showed off his designer chops. The Red Markets author even tried to start something here, although the reception was less than warm for any number of reasons.

Another example I'd like to bring up would be our very own Strike! RPG. There were any number of us here on SA who'd been following that piece of work for years, so when the KS ran, we were confident that it'd get done, and we knew what we were getting into, and we were looking forward to it.

In sum, there should be little doubt that you can deliver your product, and people should be excited about your game before you pull the trigger on the KS. You should be doing pre-KS announcements that'll have people chomping at the bit to throw their dollars at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Crackbone posted:

gently caress CMON because they tried to include FLGS in on the action?

Yeah, I don't understand that response either. Elaborate, CMON haters?