Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I charged my Switch to around 80% this morning using the USB C charger from my Pixel phone. I am traveling and did not leave the switch on its dock (because the dock isn't here).

When I next looked at my Switch around 5pm, the battery was completely depleted.

I would have sworn I put it in sleep mode. It just sat on a shelf all day. Anyone have something similar happen?

I charged mine in the dock overnight, put it in a case and in my bag. When lunchtime hit at work the battery was at 1% from 100 this morning. I think the screen ended up on the whole time somehow, though I don't know how/why that would have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Use the gyro aiming with arrows. Use the joystick to get to the right area and then use gyro aiming to dial it in. I can't aim for poo poo with a joystick but the gyro lets me hit what I want to hit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm actually a little surprised how much praise Zelda got given how awkward the controls are.

Use the pro controller. See, you are using the amateur controls and having an amateur experience. Be a pro.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Whelp had my mom ship it to me here in Nigeria, she didn't bother putting any contact information on the order when sending something to the most third world of countries. Anyone know how much of a pain it is to claim missing shipment insurance?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcnKRtUfqY

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

No scratches on my screen yet from docking/undocking, but I got a little nervous about the whole issue and took a closer look at my dock. The front face does appear to have a slight curve inwards. I ordered one of those tempered glass 2 pack screen protectors that people have been linking. Should be here next week, but I'm looking to do a mickey mouse fix until then just to be on the safe side. What's the easiest/safest way that people have agreed upon to prevent this? Just drape a glasses cleaning cloth on the inside edge of the dock face? Electrical tape on the inside rails?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Feenix posted:

Some further first impressions of the Switch /Zelda.

Maybe it's my bigger hands, but even in JoyCon controller mode,(where they link up in the controller holder) the analog sticks and whatnot are so small and lacking in nuance, that precise, small movements (in order, to say, not take 2 steps off a small rock outcropping and fall half a mile down a cliff...) or good camera movement do not seem possible. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I'm actually a little surprised how much praise Zelda got given how awkward the controls are. Using the Arrow while trying to crimp down on the R trigger and rotate the tiny little stick with my thumb is just awkward as heck.

I am liking the overall feel of the game. I am not liking the lack of a combat roll or how low the LoD is when you're looking out on Vistas. (Thanks for spoiling me, Horizon Zero Dawn!)

With zero physical obstruction... my blue joycon stopped responding and/or continued registering input on a delay (so Link ran off another cliff, Woohoo!)

Could be my 2.4ghz Wifi given as I mentioned before, the 5Ghz network actually went away when I was in the same room as my Router. Maybe it's better / lacking issues on the 5Ghz band...

[edit] Pre-Apologies. Totally not trying to come in here and talk poo poo. Just finding it really awkward to control Zelda with what you're given. The movement in that game is actually really unforgiving. The control method (I need a Pro Controller, I think) is not tolerant of unforgiving controls...

Agree on everything. I'm already having left Joycon issues too, just randomly stopped working while in the grip. Not impressed.

Pro controller is arriving tomorrow but I didn't buy this to be a home console only.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I bought the Charge Grip because one of my Joycons died the day after release and that poo poo wasn't going to hold me back from playing Zelda; I should have read reviews but god drat it Nintendo, it's literally the same thing as the comfort grip but with a charge passthrough for double the price and no battery inside to hold a charge. I thought I could charge the grip and use it incase my Joycons died like they did and just keep going but without having to be tethered.

I'm not even mad I bought this thing because it's a major convenience, but seriously Nintendo, this should have come with the Switch, the Comfort Grip shouldn't have even a thing because what's even the point? If a Joycon and the Switch is dead, like in my case, your only option is to take the AC plug out of the dock and have it hooked directly into the console and you're forced to play in portable mode.

The plastic is transparent though, so that's pretty cool.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL if you HOLD the Home button you get a Quick Access Menu that lets you:
- Put console to Sleep
- Adjust Brightness (When not in docked mode)
- Turn Airplane mode on/off (When not in docked mode)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I bought the Charge Grip because one of my Joycons died the day after release and that poo poo wasn't going to hold me back from playing Zelda; I should have read reviews but god drat it Nintendo, it's literally the same thing as the comfort grip but with a charge passthrough for double the price and no battery inside to hold a charge. I thought I could charge the grip and use it incase my Joycons died like they did and just keep going but without having to be tethered.

I'm not even mad I bought this thing because it's a major convenience, but seriously Nintendo, this should have come with the Switch, the Comfort Grip shouldn't have even a thing because what's even the point? If a Joycon and the Switch is dead, like in my case, your only option is to take the AC plug out of the dock and have it hooked directly into the console and you're forced to play in portable mode.

The plastic is transparent though, so that's pretty cool.

That absolutely what you think you're getting, says me, who thought the same thing

It's expensive, you'd think that's exactly what the grip was for!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

pissdude posted:

Electrical tape on the inside rails?

Try electrical tape!!! over the plastic rails.

Some people also like to use felt or craft supplies. But i like the tape

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Mine is for sure straight, the screen protector is only there on account of the screen being plastic. I always cover those.

I'm not very bright, how does one know if the dock is bent? Kind of paranoid about mine now. Looking at it from the top down the two openings are perfectly parallel with each other.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Sounds like a quality produc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spellman posted:

That absolutely what you think you're getting, says me, who thought the same thing

It's expensive, you'd think that's exactly what the grip was for!

I watched a video of someone tearing it down to make sure if it had a battery, nope, it's the same thing with a pass through , so at $30 it's either too expensive or it's cheap and the comfort grip is too expensive. But honestly, I don't think the comfort grip should even be a thing; not being able to charge the Joycons by themselves out of the box is really stupid.

sigher fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 7, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

TIL if you HOLD the Home button you get a Quick Access Menu that lets you:
- Put console to Sleep
- Adjust Brightness (When not in docked mode)
- Turn Airplane mode on/off (When not in docked mode)

Don't they tell you this during setup?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Do people not put their Joycons back on their Switch when they're done with a session? That's what I do and I don't think mine have been even as low as 50% since I opened the box.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hopeandjoy posted:

Do people not put their Joycons back on their Switch when they're done with a session? That's what I do and I don't think mine have been even as low as 50% since I opened the box.

I charged mine for several hours before use and only played for a couple hours.

How do you see the joycon battery level? I assume the grip lights but is it just less lights=bad?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I charged mine for several hours before use and only played for a couple hours.

How do you see the joycon battery level? I assume the grip lights but is it just less lights=bad?

It's in the system menus, I believe the one where you sync and order controllers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I found The Lost Woods. A very cool and mysterious place and so my my favorite Breath of the Wild location.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah, I kinda actively hated the opening of HZD but I'm in like act 2 now and it owns bones. The combat is vanquish with a bow and the story which Iv hated since the reveal trailer actually turns out to be pretty cool, the apocalyptic stuff is super dark and so far really works.
It also has great boss battles and interesting enemies that keep you switching up your tactics.

I had to give Zelda back to my friend who owns a Wii u after playing it for a day and bought HZD to get my open world fix, the lack of climbing is inexcusable compared to Link just spidermaning up vertical walls but it's otherwise very even imo.

Kinda strange to see people attacking HZD for being just another open world game since Zelda is just straight up a Ubisoft game made by Nintendo, which is a very good thing.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
My joycons ran out of battery today so I had to leave the house and buy a pro controller. I almost bought the charging grip because I thought it had an internal battery. I thought the joycons were really comfy but yeah, pro is the way to go. That said you could always ghetto velcro a small power bank on the back of the charge grip - this is what i do when my wireless headphones die.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hopefully we see some 3rd party ones with a powerbank. Pretty ridiculous that they the chargeable one. I'm excited to see what 3rd party stuff comes out gently caress Nintendos nickle and diming

Also wish the pro controller wasn't so expensive :mad: probably going to get one anyways...

Cool I gues but hardly see any reason to use a keyboard. Plus every device from TVs to any other system can use keyboards. Also lol @ no Bluetooth wtf? Even the Vita had that poo poo for headphones and keyboard

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Joy-Con charge lasts forever so charge it overnight/whenever you sleep and you should literally never have a problem

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Healbot posted:

It's the same resolution and effects settings on both docked and handheld mode.

Docked looked 1080 to me.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

me

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hopeandjoy posted:

It's easy to forget, or what happened in my case, I didn't push the left one all the way down into the Switch itself, I'm sure it clicked but just barely so the contacts didn't connect so one of the Joycons wasn't charging. This was also the night after I bought it so it didn't have the full 20 hour charge to last me the next day. I don't see this happening to many people but man did it suck realizing I had no way to play on my TV because a Joycon had no charge.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Cool I gues but hardly see any reason to use a keyboard. Plus every device from TVs to any other system can use keyboards. Also lol @ no Bluetooth wtf? Even the Vita had that poo poo for headphones and keyboard

I guess it's useful for the Japanese people who are going to be playing Dragon Quest 11?

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Just picked up my Switch today! I wasn't planning on getting one but the last week of hype and plus the generally positive reception really put me over the edge.

It was smaller than I expected? That being said the controller is comfy as hell. I occasionally got hand cramps from my 3ds but this is not giving me any issue at all. Zelda is really awesome for only being an hour or so in, and I'm really glad I'm going in blind!

I remember when I bought my Wii U I was pretty meh on it after the first day, and so far the Switch is giving me the complete opposite reaction. :toot:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nolgthorn posted:

Anyone not like zelda

I like it, but I'm not over the moon like a lot of people here. It's maybe the fourth best Zelda game in my opinion. And the third best game I've played this year.

mdemone posted:

The former, for sure. Because that was the best they could do at the time.

The reality of playing OOT now isn't fair to it; our expectations have understandably taken leaps and bounds in the 20 years since. My question could be put better: "Is playing BOTW in 2017 better than playing OOT was in 1998?"

Not, the best they could have done is making something like A Link Between Worlds in 1998 instead of 2013. Instead the decided to use lovely 3D graphics to make a worse game than the two 2D games right before it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Decius posted:

I like it, but I'm not over the moon like a lot of people here. It's maybe the fourth best Zelda game in my opinion. And the third best game I've played this year.

Same. I'll definitely finish it but the hype train and the endless 10/10 game of the century reviews are a bit much. It's good but not really that good, and does have a handful of flaws. The graphics are pretty poo poo on the Wii-u and FPS dips even on the switch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's the best 3D Zelda we've had since the N64.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Okay, this is going to sound insane, but is there a way to invert the motion controls in Zelda? It makes no sense when I think about it but I aim the opposite direction I mean to every time.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does flipping the right joycon upside down work?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Switch is as perfect as I was suspecting. The hardware build quality feels insanely good and totally different to other Nintendo stuff.

Here's a tip for cool cats: plug the switch in to your receiver. Then you can set up surround and have it work properly. Ever since the Wii U, Nintendo has stopped paying Dolby tax so they only support uncompressed audio for surround. The vast majority of TVs don't support uncompressed audio through the return channel. For the first time for a Nintendo console it has proper CEC so you can just hit the home button on your controller and all your gear switches over, it's real nice.

Surround totally worth it in Zelda, it's unbelievable.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Decius posted:

Not, the best they could have done is making something like A Link Between Worlds in 1998 instead of 2013. Instead the decided to use lovely 3D graphics to make a worse game than the two 2D games right before it.

:monocle:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chaosbreather posted:

Switch is as perfect as I was suspecting. The hardware build quality feels insanely good and totally different to other Nintendo stuff.

Here's a tip for cool cats: plug the switch in to your receiver. Then you can set up surround and have it work properly. Ever since the Wii U, Nintendo has stopped paying Dolby tax so they only support uncompressed audio for surround. The vast majority of TVs don't support uncompressed audio through the return channel. For the first time for a Nintendo console it has proper CEC so you can just hit the home button on your controller and all your gear switches over, it's real nice.

Surround totally worth it in Zelda, it's unbelievable.
how do you connect your receiver to the switch?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Crowbcat released a compilation video of release-day Switch owners and others enjoying release-day console faults and glitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol at people having issues getting the joycon sliders off.

They're tight for sure, but I think they're designed that way to stop Wiimote-in-TV style incidents

Put the little T clip down, then push up firmly. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Infinitum posted:

lol at people having issues getting the joycon sliders off.

They're tight for sure, but I think they're designed that way to stop Wiimote-in-TV style incidents

Put the little T clip down, then push up firmly. That's it.

Watch again. They're shoving them in upside down.

edit: I don't wanna tempt fate by saying this, but the glitches look and sound really neat :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 7, 2017

• Locked thread