Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Another example of Dubs appropriating the success of the prodisdant communidy

Pffft Mexico wouldn't even be a country without the proud Catholic fighting men of the San Patricio Regiment, the least they could do is throw us a few burrito recipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

See also: Guinness, Jamesons, Rugby

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

See also nationalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Tone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

crispix posted:

Why wouldn't you want to avail of such local delicacies as the pasty supper? :confused: Or champ! Potatoes but with onions in!
I did have a dope steak and Guinness stew. I sought out some boxty but other than that wasn't able to find any decent irish cuisine aside from fish and chips and the curry fries from that one guy in Temple Bar.

e: Oh and irish breakfast at the airport, holy poo poo.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Nah there's a poo poo-ton of Chinese and Italian, good few Thai places, a handful of decent Vietnamese pho places, and at least one Korean that does a savage bibimbap. And about a million sushi places.
Japanese is the other one I saw everywhere but didn't see much else. Maybe I'm spoiled coming from east coast U.S.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The British commentariat are taking the election results well

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Defending itself (or not)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
I like the idea that tearing up the GFA would be an affront to unionists when the only major party to oppose it is uh the biggest unionist party by far

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That's probably the most ahistorical thing I've ever seen about Britain and Ireland. Holy moly, every single thing is wrong. I hate that I still enjoy reading the Sunday Times, when the weekday paper is such garbage.

E:anyone have a non-paywall link or transcript though? I'd like to rile some people up on FB

E2: nvm found one on Twitter

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-is-the-authentic-nation-in-this-battle-vnf0c8nhx?shareToken=018277a68da5f73faf198d098ccbd7f9

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 7, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bryter posted:

gently caress me, I hope the UK fractures into fifty nations while I'm still alive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bryter posted:

That's up there with Liam Fox's recent claim that Britain did absolutely no bad things in the 20th century. Which I'm sure the Irish thread would definitely agree with.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPVk72GLfY

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Less a history of the british isles and more a history of England, in relation to the rest of the isles.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Unionism here is hosed imo. Capital F hosed. Brexit is acting as a catalyst for change the pace of which I never thought I would see. I heard the DUP over the weekend keep repeating that they are now the only effective voice for unionism and I have to wonder if they might see the portent in those words if only they weren't such a myopic, self-serving shower. If things continue as they are going then unionism is going to be left with only the rump of people who vote for sectarian bigotry and brimstone, because there is gently caress all else on offer now. Something that seems to have been overlooked in the commentary these last few days is that for a lot of moderates unionism was only ever a pragmatic thing. A disastrous Brexit that could risk this place becoming the forgotten backwater of a basket case state is going to have a lot of younger people looking for other options.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A lot of talk about Unionist unity and the like the last couple of days, might be renewed exploration of a merger between what's left of the UUP and the DUP though I still doubt there's appetite for it among the UUP.

I'm not going to rush to write Unionism's epitaph as I think there's still a substantial middle class unionist voting bloc alienated from the DUP on social policy issues but would still vote against unification if it came to a border poll, SF consolidation is not going to win over Strangford to nationalism.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I wouldn't write off Unionism either, simply because I don't think theres a viable alternative is for N.I.

Independence? Without the yearly £7.5bn a year contribution from the British exchequer an independent N.I. state would either have a massive drop in quality of life, or very quickly go bankrupt.

Joining the Republic? Even if a majority of voters in N.I. somehow voted for it, theres no way a majority in the South will once the fiscal contribution thats required to pay for it is explained to them.

I think that for as long as Unionism is by far the best economic policy for N.I. the Unionist parties will have a reasonable support base.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

I wouldn't write off Unionism either, simply because I don't think theres a viable alternative is for N.I.

Independence? Without the yearly £7.5bn a year contribution from the British exchequer an independent N.I. state would either have a massive drop in quality of life, or very quickly go bankrupt.

Joining the Republic? Even if a majority of voters in N.I. somehow voted for it, theres no way a majority in the South will once the fiscal contribution thats required to pay for it is explained to them.

I think that for as long as Unionism is by far the best economic policy for N.I. the Unionist parties will have a reasonable support base.

There's certainly a contingent in the South that will be dissuaded by the economic argument, but if it actually goes to referendum it will become a very emotive/nationalistic issue and I actually see the current 65% support going up rather than down. I also think that ROI can negotiate structural funding for reunification, like German reunification in 1990, especially given Ireland's playing ball with the Troika so obediently. Might also be aided by Kenny having a go as EC President

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Doesn't Article 3 of the Constitution mean that we are forced to reunify Ireland if NI vote for it in a referendum?

Also we would only lose money for the first few years before we Made Norn-ire-and Great Again

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 7, 2017

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

There's certainly a contingent in the South that will be dissuaded by the economic argument, but if it actually goes to referendum it will become a very emotive/nationalistic issue and I actually see the current 65% support going up rather than down. I also think that ROI can negotiate structural funding for reunification, like German reunification in 1990, especially given Ireland's playing ball with the Troika so obediently. Might also be aided by Kenny having a go as EC President

I'd be shocked if that 65% general support in the South (and its as low as 40% in other major polls in the last 24 months) went up once its explained that every adult in the country is going to personally have to contribute €3000 a year towards N.I. for the foreseeable future. Money motivates people a hell of a lot more that vague theoretical nationalistic issues when it comes down to it.

Any recent polls on the issue that have asked "Would you be in favour or against a united Ireland if it meant you would have to pay more tax" generally only get about 30% support as is down South, and that's before any negative campaigning that explains the exact financial costs.

And thats also assuming the militant hardline Unionists go along quietly, which I don't think they would. Good luck explaining the first Garda killed in action to the public down South.

EU structural funding for a reunification would be nice though, I'll give you that. But I don't think it would be guaranteed in advance, so the above economic and security arguments would help a rejection in any unification referendum in the South.

Plus theres the whole only roughly 25% of Nordies being in favour of it these days, thats another large obstacle. Despite the wishes of the border county Republican dinosaurs the idea is fairly dead for the foreseeable future.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blut posted:

I'd be shocked if that 65% general support in the South (and its as low as 40% in other major polls in the last 24 months) went up once its explained that every adult in the country is going to personally have to contribute €3000 a year towards N.I. for the foreseeable future. Money motivates people a hell of a lot more that vague theoretical nationalistic issues when it comes down to it.

Where does the €3000 a year figure come from? Just curious.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still don't get why people in the south are so for unification

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I do see where you're coming from, but I think you're overestimating how much the electorate acts like the prototypical Homo economicus once the media machinery cranks into gear. I could also envision that the pro-Unification parties in the ROI would be willing to make some pretty big claims about EU support even if it wasn't guaranteed - kinda like the inverse of the "350m to the NHS" buses, except it might not be a complete lie.

I also accept that the polling doesn't show it in NI at the moment, but I see that potentially changing extremely fast in response to (i) Scottish Referendum 2 (ii) Brexit kicking in.

So, yeah I'm not convinced either, but I'm not ruling it out as an electoral issue within the next 5 years.

julian assflange posted:

The Irish like misery

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

julian assflange posted:

So we can go back to the way things were (never were).

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lemonadesweetheart posted:

So we can go back to the way things were (never were).

This part drives me nuts

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I'd expect if a poll were to be called up here someone would just point at a chart showing comparative public sector employment rates, talk a bit about mass layoffs, remind everyone the HSE is shite and make some noises about state schools to spook people on the fence

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ALSO WED ALL BE MADE TO PLAY GAA AND THE TWELFTH WOULD BE IllEGAL AND YOU CANT DRINK ON GOOD FRIDAY!!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'd expect if a poll were to be called up here someone would just point at a chart showing comparative public sector employment rates, talk a bit about mass layoffs, remind everyone the HSE is shite and make some noises about state schools to spook people on the fence

Yeah it very much depends what state the NHS is in in a few years, and how much the Exchequer tries to keep the lights on in Brexitland by tightening the public-sector pursestrings in NI

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I think it'd be nice if they changed the tricolor and added a giant dirty orange man with a bowler hat in the middle holding up a big red ulster hand as a show of solidarity.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think it'd be nice if they changed the tricolor and added a giant dirty orange man with a bowler hat in the middle holding up a big red ulster hand as a show of solidarity.

Do a South Africa and switch the second verse of amhran na bhfiann to the sash

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Idea for campaign ad. Ideally to be broadcast during ad breaks on Sunday GAA matches:

Billy from the Shankill is interviewed directly to camera, "I've never been down south before but with the referendum it got me thinking maybe I should have a look". Series of life affirming still images of Billy enjoying the sights and sounds of Dublin. " I was surprised, everyone was so nice and their was loads to do". Close shot of Billy's face as he stands outside the GPO "I had so much fun I'll definitely be back..." smash cut to reveal Billy in a sash with lambeg "EVERY July"

Cut to black. VOTE NO fades in.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 7, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The Unification campaign just needs to constantly rerun that Captain Planet episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

e: well, maybe only the last minute

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I remember polls putting support for Scottish independence at ~25% as late as 2013. Yes was polling ahead by August 2014. Imo the only thing that swung it for No in the end was the perceived stability of remaining in the UK (:newlol:)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Idea for campaign ad. Ideally to be broadcast during ad breaks on Sunday GAA matches:

Billy from the Shankill is interviewed directly to camera, "I've never been down south before but with the referendum it got me thinking maybe I should have a look". Series of life affirming still images of Billy enjoying the sights and sounds of Dublin. " I was surprised, everyone was so nice and their was loads to do". Close shot of Billy's face as he stands outside the GPO "I had so much I'll definitely be back..." smash cut to reveal Billy in a sash with lambeg "EVERY July"

Cut to black. VOTE NO fades in.

Love dis.

Though I was on O' Connell St during the Love Ulster March, and that was a hoot.

I think the south would vote overwhelmingly for a United Ireland. Fervent nationalism is bubbling under the surface of basically every party in the country, to the point where I think only the right wing of Fine Gael would actively be opposed to reunification.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Where does the €3000 a year figure come from? Just curious.

£7.5bn is the recent average of the UK's subvention to N.I. per annum. Convert that to euros, then divide by the total number of adults in the RoI.

Do a South Africa and switch the second verse of amhran na bhfiann to the sash

This and lemonadesweetheart's Ulsterized tricolour would both be hilarious outcomes.

@julian assflange the majority in the South outside of the border counties aren't in favour of unification. Which always seems to annoy the more Republican Nordies quite a lot, amusingly. I remember many a Nordie in college having their mind blown when they discussed the issue with middle class Southerners for the first time and discovered nobody in the room was in favour of taking on the burden of N.I., much to the Nordies' horror/surprise.

@WeAreTheRomans I just don't see any big parties or the media down South putting in that required push to support it, though. SF are the only ones properly in favour. FF would be tepid at best these days, and I think the other parties would play the fiscal responsibility card pretty hard. The media is generally reliably centre-right down here, and fairly in-line with FG, so would be lobbying heavily against it if anything.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ALSO WED ALL BE MADE TO PLAY GAA AND THE TWELFTH WOULD BE IllEGAL AND YOU CANT DRINK ON GOOD FRIDAY!!

THUHLL MEEAK US SAY HEEATCH INSTEYADA EEATCH!! :bahgawd:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Come on now lads... Can't afford us?? Are you trying to tell me that the 26% GDP growth was a big bunch of bullshit?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

@WeAreTheRomans I just don't see any big parties or the media down South putting in that required push to support it, though. SF are the only ones properly in favour. FF would be tepid at best these days, and I think the other parties would play the fiscal responsibility card pretty hard. The media is generally reliably centre-right down here, and fairly in-line with FG, so would be lobbying heavily against it if anything.

Again, I don't disagree with your premises out of hand, I just see Brexit as a sufficiently destabilising, black swan kind of event that we might see large-scale, rapid reorientation of political demographics in the near future. It's not hats on our feet and hamburgers eating people stuff, just a a current outlier notion coming to be seen as political pragmatism within a new European political context. But I'm not exactly wild with anticipation for it either

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bryter posted:

Come on now lads... Can't afford us?? Are you trying to tell me that the 26% GDP growth was a big bunch of bullshit?

We measure growth in Apple Tax Rulings per year now actually.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
2016's GDP growth is expect at 0.71 ATRs.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well that didn't take very long

https://mobile.twitter.com/News_Letter/status/839410422625284097

quote:

Ulster Unionist MLA Doug Beattie has not ruled himself out of vying for the party leadership, admitting he would consider it “if the party came calling”. The Upper Bann representative had seemingly declined the job in a live television interview on Friday.

Robin Swann said he was gauging support for a leadership bid Just minutes after Mike Nesbitt’s resignation, Mr Beattie told the BBC he did not yet have the “depth of political knowledge” required to lead the UUP.

Having taken stock of the situation in recent days, Mr Beattie revealed to the News Letter yesterday that he was not categorically ruling out the possibility of throwing his hat into the ring. Mr Beattie, who was first elected to the Assembly last May, said: “I genuinely believe that as a pollitician I need to do an apprenticeship by serving the people of Upper Bann. “So as it stands, I will not be putting my name forward. However, that could change if there is overwhelming support from within the party for me to do so.

Nomination close on March 24th; might be looking at a contest between Swann, a conservative traditionalist from Ballymena, and Beattie, a decorated military veteran and liberal unionist who supports same sex marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The direction the UUP will go will be dependant on which side of the vote they want to steal, further take some of the DUPs voters or eat into the SDLP share. If they are anything like other british establishment parties they'll skew conservative and lose out, because they aren't fire and brimstone.

• Locked thread