Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Two Finger posted:

I'm a firm believer in old cars. gently caress paying extra for newer when old does the job just fine.

:hfive:

Don't get me wrong, technology is cool, but it also leads to more issues and more things to break.

My car is almost old enough to rent a car (25 in US i think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Don't get me wrong, technology is cool, but it also leads to more issues and more things to break.

I use to enjoy tinkering with my vw 72 superbeetle but i needed something reliable and didnt have the space for more than one car. Now I have the space and the need for a crap hauler. No point buying something nice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Seriously my nissan has the SR20DE which means 1) it won't break and 2) it's cheap as loving hell to fix if it does break

i've owned it over two years now and she just keeps on truckin

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I just drop like $500 or so a year in repairs/maintenance to my car and she keeps on going. Had her almost eight years now I think? She has yet to ever leave me stranded.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

what have you got?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have a 2008 Civic with 135k miles on it, probably time to do some PM beyond oil changes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Two Finger posted:

I'm a firm believer in old cars. gently caress paying extra for newer when old does the job just fine.

I like new when it's a vehicle I intend to drive the wheels off of. That's why I'm not too burned up over the Jeep...it's gradually going to become more of a project/hoon-around-like-an-rear end vehicle.

Meanwhile the weather is almost warm enough for me to take care of the Vette's fuel leak.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Are we sure he isn't talking about a megger?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Haha meggering people owns

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ded posted:

Are we sure he isn't talking about a megger?

That, or a magneto. Distributors don't generate voltage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Two Finger posted:

what have you got?

'94 Integra GSR son :whatup:

Liability only. Surprised it hasn't been stolen or totalled yet. I did rear end someone once in stop and go freeway traffic but the damage to mine was negligible. I just gave the dude $300 since he has a POS anyways.

It almost got jacked once but luckily the previous owner installed a hood alarm and pager. They popped the hood and disconnected the battery but at that point I was already out running. They just took off tho

I loving love this car. If I had to get another car I'd probably just get a later model one or a a RSX type s. Won't get anything that's not a hatchback or wagon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DC Area goons, I am looking to move up there sometime next month, I would be bringing myself and me only. Where's a not-poo poo place to live for someone who will be working in Annapolis Junction, MD? I can afford ~1600 a month rent comfortably without changing my spending habits (I am bad with money sometimes), but could afford more with belt-tightening.

It's my understanding that anywhere around Ft. Meade will possibly get you stabbed while walking to your car in the morning, because living near a base is a bad idea.

I've seen Elicott City on the list of "Good Places" but it looks like a bunch of million and a half dollar houses.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 8, 2017

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

orange juche posted:

I've seen Elicott City on the list of "Good Places" but it looks like a bunch of million and a half dollar houses.

Columbia is pretty nice, even the older parts. It's right down the road. You should be able to get an apartment in an ok complex for that budget. Most of Howard County is pretty nice, though. Look around the Rt. 29 corridor.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

orange juche posted:

DC Area goons, I am looking to move up there sometime next month, I would be bringing myself and me only. Where's a not-poo poo place to live for someone who will be working in Annapolis Junction, MD? I can afford ~1600 a month rent comfortably without changing my spending habits (I am bad with money sometimes), but could afford more with belt-tightening.

It's my understanding that anywhere around Ft. Meade will possibly get you stabbed while walking to your car in the morning, because living near a base is a bad idea.

I lived in Linthicum, which I think is about 15-20 minutes from Annapolis Junction. There's also some nice yuppie areas around Odenton in that price range that are about the same distance.

http://www.grovesatpineyorchard.com/ - I used to live here. Had a two bedroom for somewhere around $1550.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also big question, I wont be surrounded by MAGA/Lock Her Up signs in these locations right?

I hate my current neighbors because they proudly voted for the hate mango and make sure we all know it.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

orange juche posted:

Also big question, I wont be surrounded by MAGA/Lock Her Up signs in these locations right?

I hate my current neighbors because they proudly voted for the hate mango and make sure we all know it.

The 95 corridor counties between DC and Baltimore are why Maryland goes blue.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
While I myself have never signed a lease or owned a house there, I have a lot of family members in Linthicum and can confirm that it's a pretty ok place to live. It's your typical quiet suburb, but it's got a decent commute to the Annapolis Junction area and if you get bored it's a short trip to either Baltimore, DC, or Annapolis proper. As for the MAGA%, I can't really say. I suspect it's probably between 50 and 60% there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How avoidable is turnpike funtimes (probably not at all), and if it isnt, how much would i be looking to shell out daily for my commute?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Did the dishes earlier, was confused about the mountain meadow smell of the dishes and sink afterwards.

Open the closet underneath the sink, see four 2-liter bottles of Lemon Pinesol in there, turns out my Koreans bought it because our previous dishwashing detergent was also yellow :shobon:

Gonna drink a bunch of beers now because my last project milestone before spring break is turned in and I won't have to get annoyed at dumb group members for the next two weeks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Do you care about schools or proximity to nightlife?

Basically, avoid Laurel, PG county and Glen Burnie. I'd stick to Anne Arundel (cheaper) or Howard county. Everywhere else you can determine by driving around and just looking at the neighborhood. They're building new apts, condos and shopping all over odenton. I've lived in the area almost 9 years and the change is crazy. They just opened the largest Ruth Chris steakhouse in odenton of all places right by the MARC. Crofton just opened a Bonchon this week.

I would really try to minimize your commute as the state highways haven't upgraded to handle ft. Meade traffic yet. I drive to downtown DC every day and spend about 75 mins door to door.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did the dishes earlier, was confused about the mountain meadow smell of the dishes and sink afterwards.

Open the closet underneath the sink, see four 2-liter bottles of Lemon Pinesol in there, turns out my Koreans bought it because our previous dishwashing detergent was also yellow :shobon:

Gonna drink a bunch of beers now because my last project milestone before spring break is turned in and I won't have to get annoyed at dumb group members for the next two weeks.

The way you speak about your pet Asians possessively is starting to make me think you're engaging in human trafficking

Tell me, are you holding their passports for safe keeping in case they lose them?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Buca di Bepis posted:

The way you speak about your pet Asians possessively is starting to make me think you're engaging in human trafficking

Tell me, are you holding their passports for safe keeping in case they lose them?

One of them tried to kill me with a popcorn-fire the other day, and the other guy yesterday calmly threw more cuts of bacon into a pan that was already generating grease-spritz and white smoke before I intervened, so I'm all but certain I'm the worst coyote ever. Mostly because I'm not getting them anywhere, I'm just teaching them how to talk poo poo and play the race-card as asians.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Do you care about schools or proximity to nightlife?

Basically, avoid Laurel, PG county and Glen Burnie. I'd stick to Anne Arundel (cheaper) or Howard county. Everywhere else you can determine by driving around and just looking at the neighborhood. They're building new apts, condos and shopping all over odenton. I've lived in the area almost 9 years and the change is crazy. They just opened the largest Ruth Chris steakhouse in odenton of all places right by the MARC. Crofton just opened a Bonchon this week.

I would really try to minimize your commute as the state highways haven't upgraded to handle ft. Meade traffic yet. I drive to downtown DC every day and spend about 75 mins door to door.

I can't concentrate on anything you write because of that loving av.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anyone wanna brush up on their whalenese?

https://www.afsc.noaa.gov/News/Gulf-of-Alaska-Cetacean-Sounds/index.html

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

It's just a chocolate bar :shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

what av? the space below his name is blank :getin:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You know, it was a few days ago since I saw Logan and it's still stuck in my mind. That was a loving great film. I might even pay to see it again at the cinema which is rare as hell for me, I only saw Mad Max once there.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

It's just a chocolate bar :shrug:

I like to think of it as a chocolate covered pickle.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

what av? the space below his name is blank :getin:

Turn off uBlock and look at your rap sheet.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

orange juche posted:

you could live in baltimore city. you can get a nice single rowhouse in federal hill or locust point for $1200 or split a double or triple for $800. fells point, hampden or towson would be a terrible commutes and canton would be another $4.80/day in tolls. there is very little crime in these areas and there is actually poo poo to do.

you can play video games and masturbate anywhere you choose to live but you actually have to plan if you want to go drinking when you live in the suburbs. in the city, you can just roll out and get hammered.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Turn off uBlock and look at your rap sheet.

never

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you could live in baltimore city. you can get a nice single rowhouse in federal hill or locust point for $1200 or split a double or triple for $800. fells point, hampden or towson would be a terrible commutes and canton would be another $4.80/day in tolls. there is very little crime in these areas and there is actually poo poo to do.

you can play video games and masturbate anywhere you choose to live but you actually have to plan if you want to go drinking when you live in the suburbs. in the city, you can just roll out and get hammered.

Ill be 30 this year and i dont really go out to get hammered, yeah ill split a pitcher or 2 over a pizza at a good pizza joint but I dont really go out with the express purpose of getting ripped. I left that poo poo behind in the military.

I still dont know what the tolls are like on the turnpikes because we dont have those in GA.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 9, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Ill be 30 this year and i dont really go out to get hammered, yeah ill split a pitcher or 2 over a pizza at a good pizza joint but I dont really go out with the express purpose of getting ripped. I left that poo poo behind in the military.

I still dont know what the tolls are like on the turnpikes because we dont have those in GA.

Speeding camera popped me for going 5mph over the limit in DC. Get use to driving slow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I hate red light cameras as is it, speeding cameras just sound like total bullshit. Thankfully many places seem to be slowly getting rid of them, I think?

surprise surprise they cause more accidents

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I hate red light cameras as is it, speeding cameras just sound like total bullshit. Thankfully many places seem to be slowly getting rid of them, I think?

surprise surprise they cause more accidents

Most of them have been ruled illegal or unenforceable. Red Light cameras are meeting the same fate.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

LingcodKilla posted:

Speeding camera popped me for going 5mph over the limit in DC. Get use to driving slow.

5 over :rolleyes:

FTP

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Would you mind if I used this GIF for a new avvy:

http://i.imgur.com/u3x9aBd.mp4

Also lol go live in Germany where there are more speed cameras than cops. They're everywhere. Hidden in guard rails, trees, road signs. You'll only know you got busted when you get a ticket in the mail with your big stupid face on it because it photographs you while you're driving

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Genocide Tendency posted:

Most of them have been ruled illegal or unenforceable. Red Light cameras are meeting the same fate.

I don't remember details, but 10+ years ago there was a situation where a lawyer got caught by one, did his own homework, and found that they were triggering red faster than the legal delay/allotted time and got hundreds of people's red light tickets thrown out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Good thing my 2001 dodge dakota has trouble even going the speed limit, gonna put a new engine in it this weekend, so that will be fun. Seriously though I'll be driving a truck that is geared pretty low so I'd really have to put my foot down to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't remember details, but 10+ years ago there was a situation where a lawyer got caught by one, did his own homework, and found that they were triggering red faster than the legal delay/allotted time and got hundreds of people's red light tickets thrown out.

In some city in Florida they were getting thrown out because people were simply placing burden of proof on the state to verify who was driving the car.

Basically the cameras were set up to just snap a picture of a trailing license plate and they would mail a ticket an assign points to who ever the car was registered to. People started showing up to court (optional, only needed if you intend to dispute the charge) and saying they weren't driving. State couldn't prove who was driving so judges had to toss the tickets and points.

• Locked thread