Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of me wishes I'd gotten a Switch so that I could play this game handheld anywhere I want to, and so it has my saves on it when the Switch eventually becomes a full-fledged Nintendo console with all the Nintendo games I want and I won't want to keep my Wii U plugged in anymore.

And then I read things like

Kashuno posted:

lol there isn't even a way to transfer saves from one switch to another if one breaks.

and I can't imagine owning a Switch in the first place, at least not for a good, long while. So many boneheaded things about its design, both on the hardware and software side, I don't understand it at all. I feel like the Switch clearly needed longer to cook but I guess Nintendo really wanted something new on the market since they weren't going to make new Wii U games anymore.

I'll probably still get one at some point but jeez, what a weird piece of hardware the Switch ended up being. And maybe by the time I get one I'll be down to replay Breath of the Wild anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Nintendo releases a main console every 5/6 years going back to NES.

Great parts about the switch? It sleeps better then any other console, I turn it on and 1 button press I'm back in Zelda, same spot. When I hit the power button, it turns on my tv and switches to the right input.

Team_q fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 7, 2017

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
20 hours into this game and I'm loving it.. except still wrestling with controls midbattle. Does anyone know if the unfocused jump actually works for dodging? I'm still getting used to not being able to roll when not locked on. I can't tell if link dodges any quicker with unfocused jump

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Part of me wishes I'd gotten a Switch so that I could play this game handheld anywhere I want to, and so it has my saves on it when the Switch eventually becomes a full-fledged Nintendo console with all the Nintendo games I want and I won't want to keep my Wii U plugged in anymore.

And then I read things like

and I can't imagine owning a Switch in the first place, at least not for a good, long while. So many boneheaded things about its design, both on the hardware and software side, I don't understand it at all. I feel like the Switch clearly needed longer to cook but I guess Nintendo really wanted something new on the market since they weren't going to make new Wii U games anymore.

I'll probably still get one at some point but jeez, what a weird piece of hardware the Switch ended up being. And maybe by the time I get one I'll be down to replay Breath of the Wild anyway.

I think the Switch's hardware is pretty great, personally. It's a small-form-factor machine with decent battery life for its graphics quality, fully portable, and comes with two controllers (technically, depending on the game). The launch could've had a broader selection of titles, definitely, but Breath of the Wild was a guaranteed cash cow. The drat thing's apparently outsold the Wii's launch figures.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
tbf the wii wasn't available literally anywhere.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the Switch's hardware is pretty great, personally. It's a small-form-factor machine with decent battery life for its graphics quality, fully portable, and comes with two controllers (technically, depending on the game). The launch could've had a broader selection of titles, definitely, but Breath of the Wild was a guaranteed cash cow. The drat thing's apparently outsold the Wii's launch figures.

My take on the Switch is that they need to start advertising it as a handheld first and a console second. As a console, it's so weak compared to even the base PS4 and Xbox One that it's hard to see multiplats coming out on it or third-party games delivering anywhere close to the experience they can on the other two consoles.

But as a handheld? Holy poo poo. This is a handheld that can run the biggest open world Nintendo has ever created at 720p, rock-solid 30 fps, and, oh yeah, it's a massive open world Zelda game on a handheld. If you think of it as a handheld that can optionally dock to your TV, literally the only downside becomes the battery life, and if they release some sort of battery pack and/or a future hardware revision with a longer life, that disappears. It's even a handheld that easily support local multiplayer without needing multiple systems. The Switch owns as a handheld.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm home during my lunch good for a poop break and I'm so tempted to stay in and just play zelda until tomorrow

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I missed fish dating chat but that reminded me of the creepiest quest I found yesterday. In Zora's Domain you can literally help one of the Zora children hook up with a HyIian pedo. I wish I was kidding.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the WiiU game will transfer over to the Switch in the future? I bought it digitally, but it will kind of suck if I get a Switch later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the WiiU game will transfer over to the Switch in the future? I bought it digitally, but it will kind of suck if I get a Switch later.

I would guess no.

Like you didn't get the Wii Twilight Princess if you bought the Gamecube one.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As someone who as paid for Punch-Out like four times, lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'd love it to, but I doubt it. It'd be a good thing for Nintendo to implement to drive future Switch adoption, though, along with a free or discounted Switch version of Breath of the Wild, but I'm real, real doubtful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

I'd love it to, but I doubt it. It'd be a good thing for Nintendo to implement to drive future Switch adoption, though, along with a free or discounted Switch version of Breath of the Wild, but I'm real, real doubtful.

The system has been out 4 days and has been selling really well by all accounts?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Mylan posted:

I missed fish dating chat but that reminded me of the creepiest quest I found yesterday. In Zora's Domain you can literally help one of the Zora children hook up with a HyIian pedo. I wish I was kidding.

:stare:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

The system has been out 4 days and has been selling really well by all accounts?

I'm not saying that it isn't, I'm just saying that they'll make it easier for people like me who got Breath of the Wild on Wii U to get the Switch later. Hell, even if they didn't offer cross-buy for BotW, save transfer would get a lot of people like me to buy the same game twice.

I'm not at all saying they need to do it, just that it'd be super cool if they did and I'd probably buy a Switch sooner than I otherwise would (like, by late summer 2017 instead of waiting until next year or something, so not a huge deal).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zore posted:

At launch, sure, but in a few months when it slows down it would be a nice touch. Not like Nintendo would lose money out of it.

Oh well, WiiU ho.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pls don't do this in this thread.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

At launch, sure, but in a few months when it slows down it would be a nice touch. Not like Nintendo would lose money out of it.

Oh well, WiiU ho.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It'd be cool for people who waited on the Switch and get stupid people like me to buy the game twice, that's all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Despite having a Wii U, getting a BotW for the Switch has turned out to be a fantastic decision. I cannot understate how amazing portable BotW is on a train commute.

I feel like the people that got it for Wii U kinda hosed up.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yeah honestly Nintendo would hate it if you bought their game twice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I probably won't buy the game again when I do get a Switch because I know how unlikely I'm going to be to want to play all the way through again, do all the shrines and koroks again, all of that. But I definitely would if I could transfer my save. That's a huge hypothetical, Nintendo are definitely not going to do that, but I'd still probably buy a Switch several months earlier than I otherwise would (and BotW a second time) if they did.

Kirios posted:

Despite having a Wii U, getting a BotW for the Switch has turned out to be a fantastic decision. I cannot understate how amazing portable BotW is on a train commute.

I definitely do feel like I hosed up a bit, though at the same time, it's literally the only game for the Switch that I would strongly want until at least November. Mario Kart 8 rerelease and Spla2n are great but not system-sellers for me. Not buying it now is probably the right call for me, but drat do I wish I could play BotW handheld.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Kirios posted:

It cost me £35 insted of £350 for the same game and I drive to work :shrug:

I'll get a Switch when they release an Animal Crossing on it like God intended (and by God I mean Mrs Jones).

Edit: £60 when you throw in a new gamepad battery.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I...

I think this is the best game of all time? 30 hours in or so, have only done one of the dungeons. My excitement for it hasn't slowed down at all. Even Witcher 3, my previous game of this generation, got a little long in the tooth towards the end.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

I...

I think this is the best game of all time? 30 hours in or so, have only done one of the dungeons. My excitement for it hasn't slowed down at all. Even Witcher 3, my previous game of this generation, got a little long in the tooth towards the end.

Yeah i've never bothered to actually beat morrowind, or oblivion, or skyrim, or witcher 3, or dragon age inquisition (even though i liked all of them and have played them all more than once) or anything else in the genre but botw has grabbed me in a way none of them did

i'm pretty sure it is because traversing the environment is part of the game, it feels like playing rather than just what sits between the points of interest

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp I decided to play my wii u for the first time in over a year to play some zelda. Of course I get an error message and have to send it back to nintendo for repairs :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mylan posted:

What in the gently caress...

Where do I start the quest?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think part of it is the reward for exploring. In a lot of open world games you will see a dungeon and have a really good chance of it being weak/crappy gear and loot in the dungeon and having some of the dungeons be extremely long for no payoff. In BotW, you know that exploring will yield shrines which have a clear and consistent prize that is always valuable, it's usually a quick one to three puzzles, and you don't have to worry about how long you'll be there. That predictability makes it all the more enticing to just pop in them real quick and enjoy them before going right back to exploring.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mylan posted:

I'm not certain how large the age difference there is supposed to be, to be honest. I don't think he's as tall as other adult male Hylians (he's about Link's height?), and who knows how fishgirl adolescence works.

If she's ~13 and he's, like, ~16, that's... still not great, but a little better?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm not certain how large the age difference there is supposed to be, to be honest. I don't think he's as tall as other adult male Hylians (he's about Link's height?), and who knows how fishgirl adolescence works.

If she's ~13 and he's, like, ~16, that's... still not great, but a little better?

I haven't done that quest yet, so I have no idea what the age difference is. In a flashback, Mipha does say that, even though she grew up with Link, they matured physically at different rates because of their different species, but again, I really have no idea if that makes it better or not.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Breath of the Wild: who knows how fishgirl adolescence works

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I picked up a variant on an item I hadn't seen before last night. Picked up a bow (one of the bows that fires two arrows with a very flat arc, great for sniping) with a little diamond icon on the tile (not + or ++, I've seen those). In the description it says it's an extra-durable version.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Harrow posted:

I haven't done that quest yet, so I have no idea what the age difference is. In a flashback, Mipha does say that, even though she grew up with Link, they matured physically at different rates because of their different species, but again, I really have no idea if that makes it better or not.

Yeah.

I mean, so, my reaction when I got the quest was "You're sending love letters downriver? Blind? Girl, you are probably flirting with a Lizalfos or some poo poo. It is a post-apocalyptic wasteland out there. So when I finally got it all the way to the end and found just some dork it was kind of a relief.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I think part of it is the reward for exploring. In a lot of open world games you will see a dungeon and have a really good chance of it being weak/crappy gear and loot in the dungeon and having some of the dungeons be extremely long for no payoff. In BotW, you know that exploring will yield shrines which have a clear and consistent prize that is always valuable, it's usually a quick one to three puzzles, and you don't have to worry about how long you'll be there. That predictability makes it all the more enticing to just pop in them real quick and enjoy them before going right back to exploring.

Yeah, I feel really motivated in BotW to just pick a direction and go there. I'm not kidding when I say that I've never played an open world game that has done that for me, ever.

They made traversing the environment part of the fun, and not a chore that you do on the way to a quest, while managing to pack the world with cool things to find, both big and small, and avoiding making it feel like an overstuffed, cluttered world on top of that. It's pretty remarkable world design. It took me ages to get around to finally doing a real dungeon because I was having so much fun just going places and seeing what I could find, and I'm pretty sure I've gone to like a third of the map so far. I haven't even touched the far north, northwest, or southern regions.

The only downside is that weapon durability makes me want to avoid combat when I can, because even though I usually win, it often costs more than I gained. Maybe when the light scaling kicks in and enemies start carrying better weapons I'll stop feeling like I wasted durability on my good weapons just to walk away with a handful of arrows and a club.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does parrying eat up shield durability?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

We know that Zora age slower than Hylians and live a ton longer. Mipha talks about it during the cutscene you get with her and Link on the Elephant. Sidon is over 100 for instance.

Also Zora's domain is the only place you go where a bunch of people are like "You're that fucker Link! Go to hell!" Because they remember him.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Just confirmed that chickens are still the same deal as every other Zelda game.

:getin:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does parrying eat up shield durability?

I think it doesn't, since a pot lid can survive a guardian laser if you party it

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's all well and good that link wants to gently caress fish, but can I date Paya please

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. It'd be cool for people who waited on the Switch and get stupid people like me to buy the game twice, that's all.

That's why I'm debating doing a full %100 run on the Wii U vs when I get a switch late summer. About 20 hours in, and this is easily my favorite game of all time though so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Rain is the most hilariously unfun bullshit. Like it's a neat idea but you literally cannot climb in the rain and it's such a huge part of the traversal mechanics.