Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Uh what's the thing that lets people ignore getting knocked down when out of stamina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's a bug with changing guard direction when you're about to fall over, I think all of the assassin classes can do it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's not worth it in the slightest. Nobody should buy or use any crates until Prestige 3. There is never a good reason to do it. Blues will not compete with purple gear so you might as well stick with the random drops you get.

Dude, going between prestiges takes weeks for me. It's totally worth it unless I want to wait a month to get a character up to prestige 3 before I can do better stuff in 4v4

I've been playing hard since launch and I have no character anywhere near prestige 3

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What happens at 3 prestige that makes crates worth opening?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You can get purple items from crates once you hit prestige 3.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Dude, going between prestiges takes weeks for me. It's totally worth it unless I want to wait a month to get a character up to prestige 3 before I can do better stuff in 4v4

I've been playing hard since launch and I have no character anywhere near prestige 3

Dude, you can't do better stuff in 4v4 with blues, only maxed our purples make any difference.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Y'all are overlooking the most important part about items: Looking fancy. I always blow whatever boxes and steel I've accumulated every time I reach a new prestige rank with a character. Who cares about mechanical effects, I just need to look cool while I'm beating people who have 50+ gear level on me. :colbert:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What unlocks the flaming wings/sakura/thunder bolts? Do you just buy the mythic outfit and that specific character will always have it? Or do you have to wear that mythic outfit to use it?

The mythic outfit is actually a bundle that comes with the pattern, symbols, probably a color scheme, and the themed mood effect for all three slots (emote, execution and idle). You don't have to wear the outfit to get the effects.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Y'all are overlooking the most important part about items: Looking fancy. I always blow whatever boxes and steel I've accumulated every time I reach a new prestige rank with a character. Who cares about mechanical effects, I just need to look cool while I'm beating people who have 50+ gear level on me. :colbert:

Okay I concede this point. But using crates for items to compete against top tier is just silly and if that's why you're doing it you should wait it out until prestige 3. Being pretty is aboslutely acceptable as an alternative rational for using them earlier though.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Perestroika posted:

The move is called "Shove" in the moveset. IIRC you do it by hitting GB right after a dodge, like you would with the Warden's or Conqueror's shoulderbash. It can also be used directly after you successfully blocked an attack. You can then follow it up with a regular guardbreak, though that one can still be teched out of.

Learning that move (the bringer's most powerful) was a gamechanger for me. Chucking people around and not worrying about damage makes bringing the law so much fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's a stream running and I'm going to report on it:

They're trying to add new content every single week, starting now. The first new content will drop this Thursday: 12 new helmet ornaments, one for each hero. A couple of these are really cool. Plus a new Mood Effect (like the Sunbeam poo poo) of Whirlwind, that makes leaves and wind gusts blow around you when you do stuff.

Now they are talking about connectivity, more on that in a minute.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mattavist posted:

Dude, you can't do better stuff in 4v4 with blues, only maxed our purples make any difference.

that's just very wrong. All my stats have gone up hitting blue gear

this isnt rocket science

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zzulu posted:

[quote="Zzulu" post="470095190"]

this isnt rocket science

I think he was being sarcastic about that exact point friend

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Matchmaking stuff, including failures:

Groups are causing some issues because they have bugs, and also because there are legit issues.

Some people group with people on different continents and it fucks poo poo up. Dev basically asks people to please stop doing this unless they have monster connections. Group leader should be the guy with the best connection.

NAT types also interact with groups badly. Red NATs can't play with Red NATs so when they group up they completely ruin the matchmaking. ("fails 100% of the time") but that's not clear.

They're going to release a document on this and try to do better.

The reason that they group level 1 with Prestige 3 players is that they hosed up the Gear stats, they are re-balancing it. The Gear system was supposed to be a lateral upgrade, not a power increase. A level 1 player is supposed to be able to fight a Prestige 3 player with zero problems. "The status shouldn't matter as much" and "Revenge is bugged". They took a week to analyze it and now they are making changes.

They are trying to account for Gear in your matchmaking, but in the interim they want to keep matchmaking based on skill.

Skill-based matchmaking works with groups by averaging everyone in the group's skill, then adding a small bonus to account for communication/coordination.

Connectivity/stability talk:

The game runs p2p with a simulation. The simulation is getting desynced and dropping. They are trying to work out why. They acknowledge there are bugs.

The simulation destabilizes the more players drop and join. This is why players are not allowed to join after the early part of the match. They removed all Orders that involve winning because they made people disconnect and destabilize. These lovely Orders will be back when the sessions have stabilized.

AFK people also make people quit and this further destabilizes sessions. There will be an AFK sanction this week that is going to be a 1st offense warning -> 2nd offense ban.

The two Viking maps they removed have desync problems. They will bring them back when they are fixed.

They will fix everything 'as fast as they can' and that dedicated servers 'are not the solution'. They know it's a problem, and it's their "top priority".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Matchmaking stuff, including failures:

Groups are causing some issues because they have bugs, and also because there are legit issues.

Some people group with people on different continents and it fucks poo poo up. Dev basically asks people to please stop doing this unless they have monster connections. Group leader should be the guy with the best connection.

NAT types also interact with groups badly. Red NATs can't play with Red NATs so when they group up they completely ruin the matchmaking. ("fails 100% of the time") but that's not clear.

They're going to release a document on this and try to do better.

The reason that they group level 1 with Prestige 3 players is that they hosed up the Gear stats, they are re-balancing it. The Gear system was supposed to be a lateral upgrade, not a power increase. A level 1 player is supposed to be able to fight a Prestige 3 player with zero problems. "The status shouldn't matter as much" and "Revenge is bugged". They took a week to analyze it and now they are making changes.

They are trying to account for Gear in your matchmaking, but in the interim they want to keep matchmaking based on skill.

Skill-based matchmaking works with groups by averaging everyone in the group's skill, then adding a small bonus to account for communication/coordination.

Connectivity/stability talk:

The game runs p2p with a simulation. The simulation is getting desynced and dropping. They are trying to work out why. They acknowledge there are bugs.

The simulation destabilizes the more players drop and join. This is why players are not allowed to join after the early part of the match. They removed all Orders that involve winning because they made people disconnect and destabilize. These lovely Orders will be back when the sessions have stabilized.

AFK people also make people quit and this further destabilizes sessions. There will be an AFK sanction this week that is going to be a 1st offense warning -> 2nd offense ban.

The two Viking maps they removed have desync problems. They will bring them back when they are fixed.

They will fix everything 'as fast as they can' and that dedicated servers 'are not the solution'. They know it's a problem, and it's their "top priority".

RIP

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh for gently caress's sake now they are spotlighting fan fiction. kill me

edit: it's a poem and I'm muting. I'll check in on it in a while. I might miss the next segment which is about balance

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, balancing stuff:

They'll put small fixes in the weekly updates.

They'll put big fixes in the big content drops.

They talked about some specific stuff but have basically said "we don't want to rush anything, we rushed Valkyrie in Beta and she was broken at launch".

One big thing: All full defensive stances are going to take 200ms to activate so that they can't be done on reaction.

The data says that the Raider is a "Peacekeeper killer". News to me.

They also mentioned that they are still working on the Lawbringer.

They're trying to move forward with weekly updates on balancing.

Edit: They're doing community spotlighting so I'm done. Hope this helped everyone, never live-blogged before and it's kinda fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 7, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

:cawg:

Alright buddy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In what universe, unless I guess they're counting in like an extra million shitters that all hopped to PK to try and get easy wins that just constantly die to EVERYTHING.

Also what? That's pretty much all good things, they know there's poo poo messed up and they're trying to fix it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Capn Beeb posted:

Alright buddy.

Don't shoot the messenger, mang

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

They also mentioned that they are still working on the Lawbringer.

Its problems seem obvious, what is there to consider?

Going to second the sneering at anything being a "Peacekeeper killer," much less Raider.

At least things are being looked at.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
It sounds like this game is dying.

All the problems with the P2P just sounds like a literal nightmare. It sounds like loving anything makes the simulation de-sync and crash, and fixing something so fragile sounds like an enormous clusterfuck.

Also not enjoying their balancing of the game based on their stupid win/loss data.

Raider is a Peacekeeper killer? Bullshit.

Maybe the data seems to reflect that, but the why and the how are very important. There's more to it than just raw win/loss percentage. Half-way decent Raider players can absolutely destroy noobs because their high damage attacks can heavily punish mistakes. Maybe noobs are drawn to the PK because she's fast and relatively easy to use by spamming light attacks? Assassins have low HP pools, so getting destroyed by a Raider doesn't take many hits. Raw win/loss data doesn't tell you that.

I'll have more faith when they decide to stop focusing so much on their stupid "big data" and actually play their loving game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow I suck with the Berserker.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

FunkMonkey posted:

Its problems seem obvious, what is there to consider?

Going to second the sneering at anything being a "Peacekeeper killer," much less Raider.

At least things are being looked at.

Berserker demolishes Peacekeepers.

e; I think Warlord performs solidly against Peacekeeper as well but I don't play him.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just had a Peacekeeper bitching at me because Valk is supposedly cheap. :feelsgood:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kainser posted:

I think Warlord performs solidly against Peacekeeper as well but I don't play him.

The problem there is that played right warlord beats everything right now. At the moment the "highest level" of the game is all insane defense-oriented gameplay and he's got the best of anyone.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Have they ever acknowledged the fact that it takes a Raider 21 frames to switch his guard, but a Peacekeeper can throw a zone attack in something like 9 frames?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm surprised nobody is reacting to the 200ms delay on full block stances, which is honestly a huge nerf to near-uselessness IMO. Since you can be GB'd out of full block and can no longer do it on reaction, it doesn't really have much a point. Before it was good for mid-tier players to stop assassin pressure but now...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

I'm surprised nobody is reacting to the 200ms delay on full block stances, which is honestly a huge nerf to near-uselessness IMO. Since you can be GB'd out of full block and can no longer do it on reaction, it doesn't really have much a point. Before it was good for mid-tier players to stop assassin pressure but now...

What's the conversion on ms to frames? As a scrublord, I don't understand which unit we are supposed to use to measure speed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I noticed it. I could give some nuanced response on how it would affect conqueror and warlord, but I'm going to go with the lower effort reaction of "I main Lawbringer, cry me a loving river."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

At 60fps every frame is ~16ms long, so this is a ~12 frame startup.

FunkMonkey posted:

I noticed it. I could give some nuanced response on how it would affect conqueror and warlord, but I'm going to go with the lower effort reaction of "I main Lawbringer, cry me a loving river."

Totally understandable.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
one of my orders is in german now

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

full block is mostly for when you're getting ganged up on to buy you a few seconds or to make building revenge a little easier, I always assumed

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Don't shoot the messenger, mang

That wasn't directed at you specifically but rather the statement itself, but yeah I could've worded that better, sorry :shobon:

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

full block is mostly for when you're getting ganged up on to buy you a few seconds or to make building revenge a little easier, I always assumed

well no, its a good to use to block any attack because at least two of the classes get immediate reactions coming out of it.

So you can full block as soon as you seem them make an attack, thus making sure you block the incoming and immediately chain into whatever combo your class has with a full block. For me (valk) I get a shield slam that let's me go into other stuff. Bonus is they can't usually defend against the reaction since they just got blocked.

Plus some of us are bad at blocking so its a nice crutch I guess.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Most of the time I use full block I use it as a gateway to headbutt/shield bash. This seems to be what the nerf was targeting, since you could go full block->block an attack-> throw out a headbutt->guaranteed damage, which meant that the best strategy was often turtling with full block characters.

What I'd really like to see re: making the game less defense oriented is adding more initiation tools or making the tools used to initiate an attack better so that there's some incentive to attack for most classes instead of fishing for a parry.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This implies that there's currently skill based matchmaking.

Are they talking about the same game?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Floppychop posted:

This implies that there's currently skill based matchmaking.

Are they talking about the same game?

This is a good point. Skill based matchmaking sounds like it only exists on paper because whenever I queue up for a match it only takes about 10 seconds to widen the search to "all skill levels."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I get skill-based matchmaking about 75% of the time but I play on the West Coast during peak hours with a green NAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pearnicious posted:

This is a good point. Skill based matchmaking sounds like it only exists on paper because whenever I queue up for a match it only takes about 10 seconds to widen the search to "all skill levels."

I am the same but as is said above there may be a dearth of people currently at the higher skill levels.