Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Games is getting better and I am glad for it.

Better but not great, there's still a lot of people here who think the switch is bad. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Franchescanado posted:

I've never gone past the Goron section of MM and I haven't played a new FF since X on PS2.

Why start now? I'm legitimately confused why they keep making Final Fantasy games, there hasn't been a good one in 20 years. (I would venture to say there has never been a good one, but a lot of people disagree with me, so... whatever.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That would only be true if the best Final Fantasy and dare I say, one of the best games of all-time (FFX-2) wasn't a mere 15 years old.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's because they make money op

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Get her checked out too. It was the first sign of illness for my elderly cat last year

Seconding this because it was the same with mine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

Better but not great, there's still a lot of people here who think the switch is bad. Sad!

That just indicates the forum is working as intended

Serf
May 5, 2011

Final Fantasy 9 came out in 2000, so this doesn't check out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Franchescanado posted:

I was gifted two games yesterday, I'd be happy to play either, so I need an outside force to pick which one I play

Should I play Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D or Final Fantasy XV?

I've never gone past the Goron section of MM and I haven't played a new FF since X on PS2.

Majora's Mask. FF15 is steadfastly serviceable at best with some long bad parts, while MM is a modern classic.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

breath of the wild actually has zero dungeons

Um, if you had learned to read ancient Hyrulian like me, you would know that the shrine doors all say 'dungeon' on them :colbert:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DrGreatJob posted:

Why start now? I'm legitimately confused why they keep making Final Fantasy games, there hasn't been a good one in 20 years. (I would venture to say there has never been a good one, but a lot of people disagree with me, so... whatever.)

I only occasionally wander into the Game threads, so of the few things I've seen said FFXV was supposed to be fun. I like RPGs, so my girlfriend bought it for me as a surprise.

I'd ask what makes FFXV terrible, but I feel like that's a derail, and I don't really care to explore that thread.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fridge corn posted:

assassins creed syndicate is actually not a bad game

it's quite fun and improves on almost every mechanic in AC history---except for climbing. they give you a straight up zipline which is fun but instead of improving upon their central playstyle mechanic, they caked it with an EZ mode setting and took away any reason to do parkour poo poo. Playing Zelda and using that climbing gameplay is more satisfying but Syndicate as a whole is a good game that, yet again, did not need the cloak of ASSASSIN'S CREED to envelop it, much like Black Flag.

oddium posted:

breath of the wild actually has zero dungeons

I actually love this. Having 100 mini puzzle dungeons, naturally encountered battles and events, and the 4 Big Monster Things is a nice change from the back and forth puzzle dungeons of the last 4 or so Zeldas, which fatigued me big time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't like Majora's Mask at all so FF 15

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Um, if you had learned to read ancient Hyrulian like me, you would know that the shrine doors all say 'dungeon' on them :colbert:

i learned enough to read the little map location subtitles and then worked out where all the memory photos were from their titles. cryptography in games is Good.

e: oh speaking of which is their any significance to the Eastern Abbey's map subtitle, which seems to be unique (but i didn't really look hard)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXV is epic but I've only played the demo. The only bad FF game is the III remake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nier looks fun but I'm gonna wait to see if the PC port is decent first.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there a website like GoodReads, but for video games?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah, Sa Forums > games > March chat thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can I still be a true zelda fan if I'm not reading hylian

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

caveat: some posters are consistently wrong, and i suspect it's in earnest

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

yeah, Sa Forums > games > March chat thread

Oh wow thanks, why didn't I think of that.

I meant to track the games I own and can rate so I can get some recommendations, maybe make a list of things to go back to or something.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FFXV is bad because it's a mess of a rushed half-of-a-game with terrible characters, terrible writing, a wonky battle system, and an open world that is too small and insanely bland.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

e: oh speaking of which is their any significance to the Eastern Abbey's map subtitle, which seems to be unique (but i didn't really look hard)

I just started up the game to find out for you, it says 'artifact', which is different from most of the 8-letter subtitles, which is 'location'.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah i know what it says, that's why i'm asking !!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

:shrug:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i will solve the zelda mystery

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

yeah i know what it says, that's why i'm asking !!

Just a case of bad image compression.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i suspect that it was one of the first ones they did but then they just got really lazy and called everything "place" "location" "water" "timber"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wamdoodle posted:

I played KZ 1-3 and they were pretty standard FPS games. Nothing extremely amazing except maybe multiplayer for 2 and 3 because there wasn't any online sci fi shootmans at the time. At least on PS3. And they might as well been regular military shooters because there wasn't anything really out there in terms of sci fi weaponry.

The games were just mediocre if you look at them in a vacuum but the context of Sony outright lying to everyone while pushing them as killer apps not once but twice is where a lot of the backlash comes from; Killzone 1 was supposed to be the PS2's Halo Killer because it had a bunch of impressive-looking screenshots but then it could barely even run when in motion, and then when the PS3 was unveiled with that incredibly obvious fake CGI trailer that they kept shamelessly swearing was actual gameplay footage.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
oddium, I suggest giving Fez a try if you ever have a chance, despite Phil Fish's rightly earned reputation for being a dolt. It has a few decent cryptography puzzles in addition to a great soundtrack.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I keep hearing good stuff about lightning returns, is it worth playing without playing any of XIII?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I keep hearing good stuff about lightning returns, is it worth playing without playing any of XIII?

The good news is that the plot is completely nonsensical and barely has any continuity with itself, let alone the XIII series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF15 is extremely good but with the caveat that it is absolutely packed to the brim with hilariously bad sidequests. Thankfully you can very safely ignore all of them if you want and just do the Hunts which own.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I wish they made more XIII games or even something in that same style

Cel shaded games are good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Is there a website like GoodReads, but for video games?
gamers dont really read, you should have said MyAnimeList and they'd have understood

recommendation algorithms are total poo poo so I've never bothered looking for one. I just tend to look up gameplay footage to see if it's a game i'd be interested in. i guess there's always Steam Curators if you can find someone whose tastes are similar to yours.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

tap my mountain posted:

I wish they made more XIII games or even something in that same style

Cel shaded games are good

Wild arms 3 was a cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's worth playing Uncharted 4 a second time just to play the whole game in Cel Shade Graphics (or 8-bit but that's kinda rough).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Wild arms 3 was a cool

Can you shoot klansmen in it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Onikuno/status/839199045356748801

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

gamers dont really read, you should have said MyAnimeList and they'd have understood

recommendation algorithms are total poo poo so I've never bothered looking for one. I just tend to look up gameplay footage to see if it's a game i'd be interested in. i guess there's always Steam Curators if you can find someone whose tastes are similar to yours.

I really just want a digital list of games that I own but haven't beaten or want to replay, so I can just pull it up and see "Oh, I never beat Metroid Prime" and able to pull it up on my phone or computer without digging through my closet. Ratings or recommendations would just help me prioritize what I play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean you can always catalog your stuff on Backloggery, or use SteamCompletionist for your Steam library

• Locked thread