Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

And if he has to go on the DL after one of them I bet the first thing out of your mouth won't be "ah well, just part of the game".

I was reading that the other way, as in once Rizzo gets hit half the Cubs fans here will be out for blood.

Popete posted:

If you can get hit by a 20 MPH pitch than you absolutely deserve it.

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

So it's not OK but because it happens we should all be OK with it? I'm not following your logic here.

What don't you understand.. When I watching a game i'm not rooting for a pitcher to toss one at a batter that fucks with him but if it happens it happens. I'm not going to be outraged about it that's for sure.

Julio Cruz posted:

And if he has to go on the DL after one of them I bet the first thing out of your mouth won't be "ah well, just part of the game".

If he was launching his bat a la Bautista then yeah I would be, but he's not that type of player so once again idk what were talking about here. He gets hit because he wants to.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Now if a rookie takes your best pitch and blasts it into orbit then well the rookie deserves to bat flip.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

In society, there are rules. If you hit a ball with a bat in the game where you are supposed to hit a ball with a bat, you will be beaned. That is a rule. If a batter steps out while I am pitching and looks at me, I will shoot that man in the mouth. This is how men build a life. If I am in my stirrups and I ask you what time it is and if you say Noon and then later I find that it is in fact Dusk, I will kill you with a Long Sword. Rules, consequences, baseball, safety, shark terror: these things I believe.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Is it possible to throw a 20mph ball that makes it to the plate? I guess it probably is, but I kind of imagine little leaguers throwing at 30-40 or so.

Underhand toss the ball 20 feet in the air.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

The internet's got you covered, and, no.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Now if a rookie takes your best pitch and blasts it into orbit then well the rookie deserves to bat flip.

Once again, I agree.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
a batter taking Arrieta deep should be able to celebrate equal to the level that Pedro Strop celebrates when he strikes somebody out

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Remulak posted:

Once again, I agree.

Ahh ok, so if you're a veteran (5+ years) or a rookie its ok. If you're a 2nd year player then you deserve to get plunked. Gotcha, that makes more sense.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I was reading that the other way, as in once Rizzo gets hit half the Cubs fans here will be out for blood.

I'm sure they will be, and Mr "hitting batters is cool and good" here will be right along with them.

Dr. Remulak posted:

What don't you understand.. When I watching a game i'm not rooting for a pitcher to toss one at a batter that fucks with him but if it happens it happens. I'm not going to be outraged about it that's for sure.

If he was launching his bat a la Bautista then yeah I would be, but he's not that type of player so once again idk what were talking about here. He gets hit because he wants to.

I don't understand why you're OK with a pitcher potentially taking a player out of the game for weeks at a time, and I expect that your level of being OK with it will change drastically when it's one of your team on the receiving end.

Also using Bautista as "that type of player" :lol: just come out and say it, we all know what you mean

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Also using Bautista as "that type of player" :lol: just come out and say it, we all know what you mean

I'm using the most recently "famous" bat flip as an example, one which also spurred some heated emotions between players...

What are you suggesting?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Is this discussion going anywhere good?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

Pitchers are big loving babies.

Yeah this. Outside of the dangerous aspect of it this is the dumbest part. Pitchers are big loving babies about it and it's not fun to watch a professional athlete throw a tantrum over it. A bat flip is quite possibly one of the tamest celebrations in all of pro sports right now, calm the gently caress down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hand Knit posted:

Is this discussion going anywhere good?

In less than a month there will be baseball, so until then it's this or BSOHL chat.

I guess we could talk about Israel of all teams being a near lock for the next round in the WBC.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

What is wrong with a big bat flip "a la Bautista" exactly?

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

bawfuls posted:

What is wrong with a big bat flip "a la Bautista" exactly?

Nothing. I've never said I think there's anything wrong with bat flipping, talking trash, or celebrating whatsoever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Grittybeard posted:

In less than a month there will be baseball, so until then it's this or BSOHL chat.

I guess we could talk about Israel of all teams being a near lock for the next round in the WBC.

The baseball as bloodsport stuff as fine, I just want to head off where the discussion might end up after someone has uttered the phrase "that sort of player."

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I'm fine with beaning as long as you can do this to the pitcher.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dr. Remulak posted:

Nothing. I've never said I think there's anything wrong with bat flipping, talking trash, or celebrating whatsoever.

So even though a player hasn't done anything wrong you're still OK with him getting thrown at? You're really not making any sense here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

Then why are you defending violent retaliation for them?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bob James posted:

I'm fine with beaning as long as you can do this to the pitcher.

It's always the catchers who pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uGROwr-rY

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

So even though a player hasn't done anything wrong you're still OK with him getting thrown at? You're really not making any sense here.

Yes.

bawfuls posted:

Then why are you defending violent retaliation for them?

We're going in a circle here bud

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

We're going in a circle here bud
You won't stand behind your posts so whatever. You say you don't advocate beaning but also that we shouldn't care about it or express any displeasure about it because "that's the way it's always been" and we aren't going to change the sport now. Then you imply that at least certain bat flips are deserving of retaliation but again refuse to defend this position so yes I suppose we are going in circles.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Grittybeard posted:

When I was 10 I went to a Kids Day game at Shea, and they let us throw pitches, and I was deeply disappointed to learn that I had a 35-mph fastball.

Nowadays, I'd love to see a 20-mph Eephus pitch or some wacky poo poo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pancakes posted:

Really surprised Tatis isn't on that list. 2 grand slams in one inning seems less likely to be repeated than a 20-pitch AB.

Awhile back and also to distract from "greenhorns shouldn't disrespect pitchers" chat, but Chris PrattScott Hatteberg hitting a grand slam and a triple play in one game is probably never going to happen again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Strike that fucker out if you don't like him. Make him hit a lazy grounder back to you. poo poo, steal a hit away with some sweet pitcher glove work.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Why are y'all responding to the return of McGibblets

beaning players is always bad and the game would be better overall if everyone celebrated their achievements and could be made to look like idiots if they gently caress up after celebrating

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Make HBPs an automatic 2 bases like a ground rule double. That would cut down on that bullshit.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I know we shouldn't be hitting each other, or committing assault on the baseball field but maybe I'm old-school enough to think that Arietta's response was actually kind of progressive, as ballplayers go.

Somewhere right now Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan are talking over a pouch of Red Man about how pitchers are weak these days.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Dr. Remulak posted:

Because he'd toss one at a rookie for bat flipping on him? Are you guys that soft?

I'm all for bat flips and celebrating and poo poo talking, it makes the game more fun for the viewer, but if you're a young gun doing that to a pitcher you know exactly what you're signing up for.

You really think it's totally cool to try to cause someone potentially serous injury, or at the very last hurt them, because they hit one of your pitches and celebrated a bit? The fact that the hitter knows he might get hit is irrelevant and definitely doesn't excuse the behavior.

Whatever, athletes are somehow allowed to assault people with no real consequences, because money and entertainment. Yay!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meanwhile, Thor likes batflips.

quote:

“And in terms of [Bryce] Harper saying he wants to make baseball more fun again, in terms of more emotion, the [Jose] Bautista moment, I’m pretty sure the guy — when that happened — had probably blacked out at the moment,” Syndergaard said, referring to the Blue Jays slugger’s legendary bat flip in the 2015 postseason. “Just sheer enjoyment and excitement and just being in the moment. The bat flip, I have no problem with it. I can’t imagine how much emotion is going through him that he probably might not have even realized what he was doing. My big thing is having respect for the game... I wouldn’t say he was disrespecting the game at all,” Syndergaard said. “I see it as he was having fun out there. He was trying as hard as he possibly can to do what he wants for the team. I don’t see that as disrespect at all. I see that as pure emotion.”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thor is cool and good.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I had the Nats game on at lunch and man, Turner is awesome. Seems like he can pretty much steal at will? He might not be quite as fast as Billy Hamilton, but it takes him like one step to go from zero to top speed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I get that Moneyball rightfully pointed out that stealing was bad unless you were REALLY good at it, but the lack of steals in baseball makes it a little sad. The Mariners got Jarrod Dyson and Jean Segura now, so we might actually start seeing steals.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

beejay posted:

Oh boy a new Cubs poster who is a poo poo head

I can't speak for the rest of the SAS Cubs fans, but Arrieta needs to nut up and deal with it. I've always hated the "well he hasn't earned that strike yet," as if the strike zone is different for a rookie compared to a 10-year vet. If it's a strike it's a strike and if not, it's not no matter who's throwing it.

Same thing for bat flips. If a vet can do it a rookie can. Grow up, Jake, and go be overpaid on some other team next year. gently caress you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N:

V:

Inspector_666 posted:

Thor is cool and good.

Apparently he's starting tomorrow during Tim Tebow's debut, which... :sigh: . I just want this stupid Tebow experiment to be over so we can go back to talking about real baseball players again. Conforto and Bruce are vying for right field, and Gsellman, Lugo, and Wheeler are battling it out for the fifth spot in the rotation, and both of those things are way more exciting than this publicity stunt.

Of course, if Tebow turns out to actually be worth a drat, I'll change my tune, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I know we shouldn't be hitting each other, or committing assault on the baseball field but maybe I'm old-school enough to think that Arietta's response was actually kind of progressive

There's still a ton of pervasive macho bullshit going on, though. Like, why should rookies be treated differently? If they do their job well, they do their job well.

Even Bouton called it out as being moronic in Ball Four, and that was almost fifty years ago.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wanna see a batter steal 2nd, 3rd, and home on 3 straight pitches after eating a retaliation pitch

Then he taunts the pitcher a second time

Funnily enough, Jake Arrieta stole second in the 2015 WC Game immediately after being intentionally beaned.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

stop trying to change baseball from what it should be: a remorseless murdersport
https://medium.com/@byctom/stop-trying-to-change-baseball-from-what-it-should-be-a-remorseless-murdersport-a7f2912f702b#.sf5uk5ss7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

GeneX posted:

Why are y'all responding to the return of McGibblets

beaning players is always bad and the game would be better overall if everyone celebrated their achievements and could be made to look like idiots if they gently caress up after celebrating

I think Yasiel Puig emphatically batflipping dingers is as important to baseball as him accidentally batflipping fly outs to the warning track

• Locked thread