Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shyduck posted:

Stallman is a bit of a kook but he's been generally on the ball with his predictions.
Stallman likes to use terms like "consensual pedophilia".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TPSDude posted:

Oh boy another Snowden, supposed memeber of CIA hacking community leaking secrets and practices.

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

See poo poo like this is why I was pissed about Manning's commutation.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/839218579102920704

Besides the fact that this is beyond false, does this guy ever not talk in absolutes?

Casimir Radon posted:

That's uh, wow :stare: I was not aware

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

The Iron Rose posted:

maybe they uh... shouldn't illegally spy on people, including Americans?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/839220095733891072

So didn't see this earlier, looks like the investigation actually is going somewhere.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 7, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Did the leaks even show any evidence that the CIA was spying on Americans domestically? Because that would be an even bigger story than the existence of the hacking tools.

EDIT: Just reading the comments here, because it's a loving goldmine of histrionics and stupid.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5y0mol/wikileaks_reveals_cia_malware_that_targets_iphone/

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 7, 2017

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

That's less known but definitely the worst part of Stallman. The most well known is a video of him sitting barefoot at some conference or whatever, casually picking poo poo off his feet and then eating it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

shyduck posted:

Besides the fact that this is beyond false, does this guy ever not talk in absolutes?

The Sith deal in absolutes

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Everything in that Wikipedia press release shows only that the CIA has their own TAO program, which is... fine? The CIA is an intelligence agency. Their job is to collect intelligence and to spy on foreign powers.

I'm pissed that the leaks happened in the first place, not that they had a big hacking program.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Your daily :mensch:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/839116941956640768

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
If you have to say that, it usually means the opposite is happening or else you wouldn't have to say anything

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Did the leaks even show any evidence that the CIA was spying on Americans domestically? Because that would be an even bigger story than the existence of the hacking tools.

The CIA has a long history of illegally spying on Americans domestically. You can take their assurances that they've cut it out at face value, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about them expanding their capabilities.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Everything in that Wikipedia press release shows only that the CIA has their own TAO program, which is... fine? The CIA is an intelligence agency. Their job is to collect intelligence and to spy on foreign powers.

I'm pissed that the leaks happened in the first place, not that they had a big hacking program.

The whole point of this is to further delegitimize the intel agencies to the US public, with an added bonus of poking Europe and going "Hey, they spied on you and hosed with your elections, Russia doesn't do that".

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Both sides of the wall hosed around with their friends elections at some point

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The CIA has a long history of illegally spying on Americans domestically. You can take their assurances that they've cut it out at face value, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about them expanding their capabilities.

I know this is true (and a major reason why FISA warrants are now a thing), but in this case, it's still dumb when people say they are doing it (based on Wikileaks which is just lol given their recent history), again, without evidence to back it up.

While I get and understand that people are anxious about the CIA having those capabilities, I think the solution is more congressional oversight not, "GET RID OF THE CIA/NSA AND THOSE CAPABILITIES, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WITH THEM!":kingsley:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

The whole point of this is to further delegitimize the intel agencies to the US public, with an added bonus of poking Europe and going "Hey, they spied on you and hosed with your elections, Russia doesn't do that".

Oh undeniably, and it's undeniably successful at that. Your typical crowd will take this as an example of spies run amok.

I mean all this leak says to me is that the CIA is very very good at what they do. At securing information, if not retaining it. I'm not seeing any proof of illegal surveillance of Americans - the potential is there, sure, but that's been true ever since the Culper Ring.

Ultimately how you take this hinges on your opinion of the CIA as a whole. If you like the organization or like American hegemony, then it's an incredibly damaging attack on the United States that severely damages our operations all over the world, albeit one that showcases the broad depth of talent that the CIA has. It's simultaneously reassuring and concerning. Reassuring in the sense that it reveals to the public that, despite what naysayers might say, the CIA's actually pretty dang good at collecting intelligence. Concerning because, oh poo poo, that information's now out there and is hugely damaging to our intelligence collection efforts in future.

And damaging towards public confidence in our intelligence agencies as well, which certainly won't help our domestic situation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think people prefer that our bag of dirty tricks doesn’t include feeding dioxin to people.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bird food bathtub posted:

Trump has a very good brain, he's assured me personally that this is true, so international crises are going to be trivial for him to handle. He'll just make the best deal and make America great again.

Abby....Normal?

You mean I put a diseased brain into a 500 lb gorilla who happens to be the President of the United States!?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Speaking of the CIA...

https://twitter.com/AP/status/839222782554750976

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh. I thought Noriega was dead already.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Revive him with some Guns and Roses, that's his jam.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The real Noriega. He owe me a hundred favors.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo he's still alive?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

Reminder that the CIA co-developed Stuxnet.

The NSA is only supposed to perform collection and analysis, not conduct offensive actions. It makes sense that the CIA has its own organization for that purpose.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I eagerly await Trump's condemnation of Wikileaks now that they've seriously compromised the CIA's hacking tools.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Holy poo poo he's still alive?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know this is true (and a major reason why FISA warrants are now a thing), but in this case, it's still dumb when people say they are doing it (based on Wikileaks which is just lol given their recent history), again, without evidence to back it up.

While I get and understand that people are anxious about the CIA having those capabilities, I think the solution is more congressional oversight not, "GET RID OF THE CIA/NSA AND THOSE CAPABILITIES, THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WITH THEM!":kingsley:

I think it's less an issue that the CIA itself is actively spying on certain Americans and more that the NSA, CIA and other alphabet agencies are passively spying/datamining every American and now it's legal for them to share the information back and forth with no oversight.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

shout out to all the pear

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
l

o

l

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/839248461275009025

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 7, 2017

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/839240715922210818

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Handsome Ralph posted:

VikingSkull posted:

I think it's less an issue that the CIA itself is actively spying on certain Americans and more that the NSA, CIA and other alphabet agencies are passively spying/datamining every American and now it's legal for them to share the information back and forth with no oversight.

Isn't there a point where we have to just trust that the three-letter agencies aren't spying on Americans illegally? I'm not saying they would or wouldn't, but is there a way to prove if it is or isn't happening without putting everyone's private info out there?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's unlikely that the CIA is actively spying on Americans, at least domestically. The FBI and local/state police? Absolutely.

Now, overseas? Yeah, Americans probably routinely get caught up in their operations.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 8, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

Isn't there a point where we have to just trust that the three-letter agencies aren't spying on Americans illegally? I'm not saying they would or wouldn't, but is there a way to prove if it is or isn't happening without putting everyone's private info out there?

That's the issue though, there's not a good way to establish that illegal spying (or illegal information sharing where it's not outright spying) is not still going on and from the information that has gotten out there's good evidence that these agencies have regularly flouted the law. If there was legitimate oversight it would be a different conversation, but recent leaks have been very clear that intelligence agencies are outright lying to the people that are supposed to have the authority to reign them in - and this has not resulted in any consequences.

If you ignore everything else, then sure, the CIA should be developing these tools and we should not be hearing about it. But in the context of what we've learned about intelligence agencies in recent history :nsa:.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/839268048313929729

Lol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wow sounds like the CIA really poo poo the bed wrt opsec and the like.

I don't like the leak but wtf. When is the contractor that made the leak getting clipped?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

He, Spicey, and Chaffetz are like the only three idiots who are trying to call this bill anything but dogshit. If even Breitbart says it's bad (albeit for shittier reasons), I don't even know what to think anymore.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the issue though, there's not a good way to establish that illegal spying (or illegal information sharing where it's not outright spying) is not still going on and from the information that has gotten out there's good evidence that these agencies have regularly flouted the law. If there was legitimate oversight it would be a different conversation, but recent leaks have been very clear that intelligence agencies are outright lying to the people that are supposed to have the authority to reign them in - and this has not resulted in any consequences.

If you ignore everything else, then sure, the CIA should be developing these tools and we should not be hearing about it. But in the context of what we've learned about intelligence agencies in recent history :nsa:.

I'm not going to defend the NSA's poo poo, but so far nothing in these leaks is any more "illegal" than normal covert espionage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RAND PAUL IS GOOD AND MY FRIEND AND HE WILL TWEET AT ME ON THURSDAY

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DownByTheWooter posted:

My first thought as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

The Iron Rose posted:

Wouldn't the appropriate defensive move after losing all your zero days be to report them to the companies you could have exploited?

• Locked thread